Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

try reading less between the posts and more of the posts

fully willing to admit my mistake here was ascribing any basic logic connecting your posts beyond their prima facie incoherence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'liberal' has come to mean to me 'expects a Nobel Prize for being slightly less completely monstrous'.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the way i see it, liberalism is a combined political and economic philosophy, while neoliberalism is focused almost completely on economics and only cares about freedom so long as it concerns the freedom of economic elites to gently caress over everyone else. they're related but not identical. liberalism is concerned with freedoms that aren't just economic, like speech, religion, etc. while neolibs couldn't really care less

that's also why i'm not the biggest fan of using "liberal" as an attack from the left. just about all the time it's used like that these days, it's used to insult neoliberalism, which is distinctly different

Autism Sneaks posted:

prima facie incoherence
i agree with you when you say that liberalism and neoliberalism aren't the same thing, but this debate club snobbishness makes me feel bad about it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
that's my b, I should've just used "face-value", especially since it was already established they were struggling with "neo"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

get that OUT of my face posted:

the way i see it, liberalism is a combined political and economic philosophy, while neoliberalism is focused almost completely on economics and only cares about freedom so long as it concerns the freedom of economic elites to gently caress over everyone else. they're related but not identical. liberalism is concerned with freedoms that aren't just economic, like speech, religion, etc. while neolibs couldn't really care less

that's also why i'm not the biggest fan of using "liberal" as an attack from the left. just about all the time it's used like that these days, it's used to insult neoliberalism, which is distinctly different

i agree with you when you say that liberalism and neoliberalism aren't the same thing, but this debate club snobbishness makes me feel bad about it
Liberalism is about destroying the (non-economic) barriers preventing people from becoming powerful oppressors themselves - at first European merchants suffering the yoke of the nobility, later women as well as racial and sexual minorities. Neoliberalism is using that as a cover to consolidate power and wealth further among you and your friends in the establishment, closing off avenues of advancement to protect your own social class.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The reason we attack liberalism from the left is because they're deeply concerned about the free speech rights of Nazis.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The reason we attack liberalism from the left is because they're deeply concerned about the free speech rights of Nazis.

That and the fact that oppression is a-ok as long as being an oppressor is equal opportunity

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

That and the fact that oppression is a-ok as long as being an oppressor is equal opportunity

Yes, but I specifically want to zero-in on the way he draws the line between liberalism and neoliberalism. Liberal freedoms are all about the freedom (of opportunity) to be bourgeois.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you live in a society of laws that are applied equally to all, if you want to allow a voice to the extreme left you have to allow a voice to the extreme right. The sort of laws you want to have are already jailing bad comedians for telling the wrong joke. Letting the government decide what is ok to say is good until you get an AG like Jeff sessions then lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Byolante posted:

If you live in a society of laws that are applied equally to all, if you want to allow a voice to the extreme left you have to allow a voice to the extreme right. The sort of laws you want to have are already jailing bad comedians for telling the wrong joke. Letting the government decide what is ok to say is good until you get an AG like Jeff sessions then lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The extreme left want to take away the money of the rich and use it to give everyone healthcare.

The extreme right wants to murder everyone who's the wrong colour.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

neoliberalism is the natural consequence of fdr new deal liberalism

when the foundation of your favored economic system is to put the important economic decision-making of society in the hands of a tiny minority, you should not be surprised when this tiny minority corrupts the political process and ideologies to favor themselves

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I got that warm feeling that I get when a billionaire is being tortured and forced to cough up his dough.

Only thing that would be better is if it were regular schmucks holding the hot irons, but I'll take what I can get.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

This really is my favorite image.

Also I was reading in AlMonitor that the Sunnis of Lebanon now are uniting against Saudi Arabia, so good job MBS, for uniting Lebanon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They made it plain as day that they're trying to get the Lebanese Sunni to start a sectarian war with Hezbollah because they don't like how Syria isn't going their way, and nobody is interested in dying for Mohammed bin Salman's FP ambitions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

The extreme left want to take away the money of the rich and use it to give everyone healthcare.

The extreme right wants to murder everyone who's the wrong colour.

The extreme left also wants to murder everyone who's of the wrong political affiliation.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Xelkelvos posted:

The extreme left also wants to murder everyone who's of the wrong political affiliation.

think you clicked on the wrong forum friend

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
well maybe they should stop being wrong if they don't want to get murdered

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

the rules about who gets to be pm, president, speaker, and the allocations of seats according to religion preceded the civil war and the tail agreement

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

That is completely wrong, we just want to have them sent to a place where they can consider how wrong they are and come back admitting it. I mean if they don't want to admit they're wrong they don't get to leave,but that is their won choice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They made it plain as day that they're trying to get the Lebanese Sunni to start a sectarian war with Hezbollah because they don't like how Syria isn't going their way, and nobody is interested in dying for Mohammed bin Salman's FP ambitions.
that's where israel comes in with their long-overdue bombing campaign of southern lebanon. i'm surprised this hasn't happened already

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

that's where israel comes in with their long-overdue bombing campaign of southern lebanon. i'm surprised this hasn't happened already

I wonder how much worse it will be then the 2006 war. I always notice when I troll Israeli supporters offiste that they always get defensive when you mention that war.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it'll definitely be worse but i can't say by how much. i'm sure MBS is winking pretty drat hard at the israeli government right now, they just need to take the hint

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

if Israel bombs southern Lebanon, then Hezbollah will respond with missile attacks, and we're talking real deal rockets, not the basement science experiments Hamas has to make.

there's no situation where Israel won't have to invade south Lebanon again if they want to attack Hezbollah.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if Israel bombs southern Lebanon, then Hezbollah will respond with missile attacks, and we're talking real deal rockets, not the basement science experiments Hamas has to make.

there's no situation where Israel won't have to invade south Lebanon again if they want to attack Hezbollah.
stop, MBS can only get so hard

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

That is completely wrong, we just want to have them sent to a place where they can consider how wrong they are and come back admitting it. I mean if they don't want to admit they're wrong they don't get to leave,but that is their won choice.

Concentration/Reeducation camps. Got it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

that's a pretty unfair and ungenerous description of giving someone free food, shelter, and protection from corrupting capitalist influences

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the United States has political prisoners, my dude.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

I prefer to think of them as centers of contemplation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xelkelvos posted:

Those are two very different things.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Crowsbeak posted:

I wonder how much worse it will be then the 2006 war. I always notice when I troll Israeli supporters offiste that they always get defensive when you mention that war.

It's no wonder. That war completely demolished the perception of the IDF as an invincible fighting force. A decade of being an occupation force does terrible things to the actual fighting ability of an army when they face conventional opposition.

There was also Nasrallah doing a straight up supervillain thing of announcing the anti-ship missile attack on an Israeli warship on live TV, as it was happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNMK1vwlumM&t=77s

Another symptom of occupation/hubris: the missile defense system on that ship was turned off because supposedly they didn't feel there was a threat.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not just that Israel hadn't fought a real war since they invaded Lebanon in the 80s, the IDF was turned into a glorified police force whose most dangerous threats were children throwing rocks, and suicide bombers. Palestinian Authority actively works with Israel to suppress the ability of people in the West Bank to resist occupation militarily, so they're not even dealing with a potent paramilitary insurgency. Hamas in Gaza had to be weakened through years of blockade and isolation, and they still gave the IDF serious opposition in wars that should have been complete pushovers on paper.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
IIRC, Israel expected other political factions in Lebanon to jump on Hezbollah while Israel was bombing them. From what I remember they badly misjudged because everyone just told them to get hosed over and over. Meanwhile, Nasrallah made himself into a media star and came out of Cast Lead stronger than before.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mitch been working out

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC, Israel expected other political factions in Lebanon to jump on Hezbollah while Israel was bombing them. From what I remember they badly misjudged because everyone just told them to get hosed over and over. Meanwhile, Nasrallah made himself into a media star and came out of Cast Lead stronger than before.

Israel pretty much waged a campaign of terror bombing in northern Lebanon, and guaranteed that they'd piss off absolutely everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's like Israel's a tiny America that lives next door to the countries it bombs thoughtlessly.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Just wait until Trump launches the annexation of Mexico in his second term

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's almost like people remembered what happened in the 80s and saw supporting Israel to be a bad move

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/932541114044870656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Xelkelvos posted:

This is now your struggle session

• Locked thread