Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Antlerhill posted:

Did the Washington Times article have a source for the claim?

Apparently here: http://www.president.ir/en/118892

quote:

Stating that Martyr Soleimani became eternal and today the path of resistance continues with the same enthusiasm until the complete withdrawal of the Americans from the region, Dr Rouhani said, "As I said after the martyrdom of Martyr Soleimani, I emphasise again that if you cut off Martyr Soleimani's hand, we will cut off your leg from the region and we will continue the resistance until that day".

The President added, "One of the effects of this stupid and disgraceful act was that Trumpism ended and in a few days, the life of this criminal will end and he will go to the dustbin of history, and we are very happy about this and we believe that the period after Trump will be a better condition for regional and global stability".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
would it be a mistake to interpret that as his political life, that was a pretty obvious initial reading for me

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Isn't Farsi famous for being replete with allegories and idioms? That quote doesn't sound like any death threat I've ever heard.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

Ok, so the Farsi version of that literally says "...in a few days the era of the government of this murderer will end, and will go into the trash-bin of history..."

if the Farsi transcript is accurate, then there is no way it can be interpreted to mean what the the Washington Times article suggests.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antlerhill posted:

Ok, so the Farsi version of that literally says "...in a few days the era of the government of this murderer will end, and will go into the trash-bin of history..."

if the Farsi transcript is accurate, then there is no way it can be interpreted to mean what the the Washington Times article suggests.

It is similar to how Krushchev's "we shall bury them" line was also mistranslated and taken out of context.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Well in this case it seems like the translation error is from the website of the Iranian president and not from the western press. I guess they just looked at that error on the English page and put it in an article without checking the original.

Rouhani just needs to fire the translator for his website and hire someone competent

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Don’t they always put inflammatory poo poo in the translation for outside consumption and more mild readings internally?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Breaking news:- Qatar and Saudi Arabia have reconciled and are lifting all the siege and embargos

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1346164206836609024?s=20

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sooo
Who gained what out of this
Because the last 3 years seemed like an exercise in futility

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Breaking news:- Qatar and Saudi Arabia have reconciled and are lifting all the siege and embargos

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1346164206836609024?s=20

Did Saudi Arabia ever finish digging that moat?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sooo
Who gained what out of this
Because the last 3 years seemed like an exercise in futility

Qatar gained some stronger connections with Turkey and Iran, while also discovering they had some semi competent leaders who turned a potential disaster or war into a non-issue.

KSA and MBS look like really stupid bullies that got outsmarted by a way smaller kid. That's not new though.

But I haven't followed this since it started, so

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also Qatar like tripled the size of its airforce

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

Also Qatar like tripled the size of its airforce

Beyond that Qatar bought, at a minimum major weapons systems across air, land, sea from

France
UK
USA
Germany
Turkey
China
Others

So beyond any future military might, just paid a whole lot of money in foreign ties of products that take years to deliver and fully realize the profits.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

mlmp08 posted:

Beyond that Qatar bought, at a minimum major weapons systems across air, land, sea from

France
UK
USA
Germany
Turkey
China
Others

So beyond any future military might, just paid a whole lot of money in foreign ties of products that take years to deliver and fully realize the profits.

The Qatari airforce seems to be planning to operate American F15s, British Typhoons and French Rafales now... all at the same time. I know its mostly just to bribe Western military-industrial complexes but that seems absolutely ridiculous from a maintenance/capability point of view.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Blut posted:

that seems absolutely ridiculous from a maintenance/capability point of view.
Welcome to Gulf militaries! I'm Colonel Prince Abdul al-Failson and I will be your guide.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Remember this guy? He was the envoy to the Kurds who was furious and resigned when Trump betrayed them. Have to imagine this is a good sign for Rojava.

https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/1347587968232407042

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The recreations of KSA battles is wild regarding origins of aircraft and supply lines. First the F-16 showed up, then a Chinese built UAV, then reinforcements via F-15, then a Typhoon swooped theough, then a Tornado, then here comes an Apache, and oh screw it, why not a Turkish UAV as well?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

So it would appear that the entire country of Pakistan suddenly lost power about an hour ago. Cause appears to a be a fault in the primary transmission network. Very little info at the moment, but this is obviously a bit of an issue.

I did find this:

quote:

According to Federal Energy Minister Omar Ayub, the blackout was caused after the frequency in the national power distribution system suddenly fell from 50 to zero.

It's been a while since I've been involved in power systems, but that doesn't sound like a normal stability fault.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aramis posted:

So it would appear that the entire country of Pakistan suddenly lost power about an hour ago. Cause appears to a be a fault in the primary transmission network. Very little info at the moment, but this is obviously a bit of an issue.

I did find this:

It's been a while since I've been involved in power systems, but that doesn't sound like a normal stability fault.

From a quick Googling, it would appear that a decrease in power frequency indicates a sudden loss of supply or ramp in demand. It seems that there was a transmission issue within a major generation site that then destabilized the entire grid. I don't know what would cause a station to just suddenly break, but I'm sure there's any number of technical reasons. It appears that power has now been largely restored, but the grid as a whole remains quite fragile.

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-what-led-to-the-nationwide-power-outage-in-pakistan-7140969/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2021

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Wagner Group is entrenching in Libya.

All according to plan.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nice ranger graves

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol I didn't realize Russia had decided to troll Erdogan and put their thumb down on the other side of the scale
I can't imagine why they'd care about doing that aside from specifically loving with Turkey

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Qaddafi was a Soviet/Russian ally to a greater or lesser extent, so Russia having interests in Libya isn't new. Turkey's the country going well beyond its (post-Ottoman) range of action. But yeah, on top of that, as the number of friction points with Turkey increase elsewhere, Russia has incentives to search for pain points (or, alternately, chips to bargain away) pretty much anywhere they can find them in case they're needed at some point. Working against Turkey in Libya conveniently puts Russia on the same side as a bunch of other countries who are suspicious of Turkish intentions in the region too, which might help to thaw relations with some of them.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 23, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Welcome to Gulf militaries! I'm Colonel Prince Abdul al-Failson and I will be your guide.

Hello yes, at which place should I sign up to pay for my military officer rank like this is 1700s and we're in the British Navy so I can siphon ten times more money from shadow soldiers and military contractors

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sinteres posted:

Qaddafi was a Soviet/Russian ally to a greater or lesser extent, so Russia having interests in Libya isn't new. Turkey's the country going well beyond its (post-Ottoman) range of action. But yeah, on top of that, as the number of friction points with Turkey increase elsewhere, Russia has incentives to search for pain points (or, alternately, chips to bargain away) pretty much anywhere they can find them in case they're needed at some point. Working against Turkey in Libya conveniently puts Russia on the same side as a bunch of other countries who are suspicious of Turkish intentions in the region too, which might help to thaw relations with some of them.

I mean they don't have to try very hard for brownie points with the Greek countries, but yeah I can see it winning them some points with various Arab countries. Maybe even some weird backroom points with the EU and Israel.

Aside from Azerbaijan, basically every country remotely near Turkey kind of hates it to one degree or another.
Greeks, Bulgarians, Armenians, Arabs, Israelis, Iranians, Albanians and so on. Just united in hating Turkey (and also loving their soap operas).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grape posted:

I mean they don't have to try very hard for brownie points with the Greek countries, but yeah I can see it winning them some points with various Arab countries. Maybe even some weird backroom points with the EU and Israel.

Aside from Azerbaijan, basically every country remotely near Turkey kind of hates it to one degree or another.
Greeks, Bulgarians, Armenians, Arabs, Israelis, Iranians, Albanians and so on. Just united in hating Turkey (and also loving their soap operas).

Don't think Turkey and Iran are at each others' throats, in fact Turkey's often essentially been Iran way to negotiate and mediate between other countries, and there's a decent amount of trade as well.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Don't think Turkey and Iran are at each others' throats, in fact Turkey's often essentially been Iran way to negotiate and mediate between other countries, and there's a decent amount of trade as well.

Which is what I meant by varying. Iran and Turkey in my experience have that kind of relationship you see with say England and France, of things being relatively fine now, but still in the shadow of a history of endless fighting and rivalry.

And then on the other end is Armenians where uh, yeah.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grape posted:

France was also pro-Haftar and is basically anti-Turkey in general at this point, and is the kind of country Russia could benefit from a better relationship with for economic reasons. France has condemned Wagner too, but idk how much they mean it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Speaking technically, abdul al-failson would be the deputy of the prince

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Hello yes, at which place should I sign up to pay for my military officer rank like this is 1700s and we're in the British Navy so I can siphon ten times more money from shadow soldiers and military contractors
Dreadfully sorry old chap but you can't do that anymore since the unpleasantness at Balaclava. You'll have to work your way up the ranks through nepotism like everyone else!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

DarkCrawler posted:

(Royal Navy had a (nominal) meritocracy, it was the British Army that sold officers commissions)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I love how on January 24, TYOOL 2021, after flooding their capital city with pro-regime troops to quell any potential unrest, Americans are still unironically chuckling at other countries' prioritization of political reliability in their military leadership.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys who don't you get rid of all the officers who are of the nobility and landed gentry who are loyal to the regime and have a personal stake in the continuation of the status quo, and instead let the army be commanded by bright and ambitious peasants who are technically more proficient at aircraft maintenance or W/E?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys who don't you get rid of all the officers who are of the nobility and landed gentry who are loyal to the regime and have a personal stake in the continuation of the status quo, and instead let the army be commanded by bright and ambitious peasants who are technically more proficient at aircraft maintenance or W/E?
Didn't expect an honest-to-God monarchist to start posting but thread delivers.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grape posted:

All that Ottoman baggage. Oh, and the genocides.

Xakura posted:

(Royal Navy had a (nominal) meritocracy, it was the British Army that sold officers commissions)

Right, I guess sailing did require some knowledge and experience back then.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

:lol: holy poo poo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: holy poo poo.

I mean, that is pretty legitimate reasoning though, if your goal is the preservation of your system of government and societal model. Though ultimately it doesn't really work outside of a pre-modern (or early modern) context, where the aristocracy was expected, by default, to be trained in military matters (like the general trend of pre-modern education you are supposed to adopt the occupation of your father and train for it since childhood) and when military officers often had to pay much of the costs of raising, training and maintaining their units out of their own pockets.

Buying military commissions (though the exact form it takes varied alot according to time and place) then makes a whole lot of sense, it makes sure that officers are people of means who can foot the bill if necessary and since the payment was often a sort of deposit, in theory you had significant leverage over officers because if something was incompetent or abused their authority they could be dismissed and not get their money back, and if they served well it served as a kind of retirment plan.
Though of course when such practices persist beyond the context of the context of when they were introduced (such as a modern military which requires a lot of technical knowledge and education in a society where the peopel of means no longer default to training for military matters since childhood) you get some dumb poo poo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

Wow, a tankie goes far-right on the topic of authoritarianism and sticking it to America. Why I never.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh don't get me wrong, having every mover and shakers main heir as an impromptu hostage is a fine strategy if you're living a world without communications and you're frequently marching off to war.

However, there's reasons institutions built exclusively on nepotism and power-mongering tend to rapidly decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

Everyone knows the Joint Chiefs of staff are made up of all the branches top aircraft maintenance dudes or whatever.