Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

who said he deserved to be in a syrian death camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

probably some SAA intelligence guy

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I hope his lovely self taught field medicine was applied often given the side of the conflicts he was involved in.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

adebisi lives posted:

I hope his lovely self taught field medicine was applied often given the side of the conflicts he was involved in.

I mean, it was, he was the one applying it. I dont know why you would wish bad medical care on people fighting against despots but you do you

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

I mean, it was, he was the one applying it. I dont know why you would wish bad medical care on people fighting against despots but you do you

"People fighting despots" is a generous way to describe the guys who sodomized Gaddafi to death with a bayonet, killed vile rat, and turned Libya into an open air slave market, but you do you!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

adebisi lives posted:

"People fighting despots" is a generous way to describe the guys who sodomized Gaddafi to death with a bayonet, killed vile rat, and turned Libya into an open air slave market, but you do you!

I don't think these three groups are the same people but whatever you say I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

adebisi lives posted:

Thank you for reminding us there's literally nobody in Libya who deserves medical care.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

adebisi lives posted:

I hate those monsters that took a Gaddafi from us too. He was too beautiful for this world. With that said I think medical treatment should be a human right and provided universally regardless of an individual's crimes or politics.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Truly, a great mind tragically misunderstood by his contemporaries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDZxtv0ZQI

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I guess the Caro era happened in one of the brief windows of my life that I wasn't as terminally online, because I don't remember him or any of the threads he posted in. I got caught up with this podcast. It's no Radio War Nerd or even Chapo, but they give a pretty good overview of the course of events, including his posting: https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-93-kevin-patrick-dawes

edit: they claim he actually killed people in Libya, which even if he had no empathy to prevent him from doing so, I have to doubt he'd be competent enough to actually shoot at a person and hit them. Can anyone confirm?

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 13, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I guess the Caro era happened in one of the brief windows of my life that I wasn't as terminally online, because I don't remember him or any of the threads he posted in. I got caught up with this podcast. It's no Radio War Nerd or even Chapo, but they give a pretty good overview of the course of events, including his posting: https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-93-kevin-patrick-dawes

edit: they claim he actually killed people in Libya, which even if he had no empathy to prevent him from doing so, I have to doubt he'd be competent enough to actually shoot at a person and hit them. Can anyone confirm?

Let's just say it's not hard to believe that this man is a killer. I don't want to glorify this with details but there's many ways he could have cracked skulls without having to be competent.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

if someone is shooting a gun at someone else with intent to kill, i'm not sure how much less they're morally culpable if they miss the shots. throw in the fact that they're severely mentally ill and the moral calculus seems complicated enough that i'll leave it to the philosophy professors

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All I can confirm is that I watched plenty of his YouTube video where he was actively engaged in combat and by that I mean doing the same thing as the rebels he was with which was shooting in the general direction of the enemy. Did he actually kill someone though? I have no idea.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if he acted as a medical professional for any amount of time he certainly did

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

if he acted as a medical professional for any amount of time he certainly did

As far as I remember he mainly just seemed to pack a load of medkit supplies (as in, he maxed out his credit card to buy and brought it all with him) and his "unit" seemed to just take from him when they needed something. Not that anyone else of the rebel locals appeared to be a trained medic either. Don't know how much he did himself though, because nobody else has corroborated his stories.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Correct me if I'm remembering another dipshit, but did he not get cited by a journalist as trying to take off a guy's tourniquet, bandaging, or some such and do it "right" himself?

I know some white western moron did that but I'm not for sure it was Caro.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That was covered in the GQ article

quote:

Journalists gave him a wide berth. Dawes was claiming to be a freelance photographer, but to professional journalists it wasn't clear what he was - and it made them uncomfortable. On 12 October those differences exploded into the open in the most dangerous situation possible. When his doctor friend Tameem Abu Gharsa ducked into a street to get a shot at a machine-gunner that had his medical unit pinned down - by now he was carrying a weapon too - he took a bullet in the leg. Dawes and a few others waded in to drag him to safety, cut off his trousers and apply a tourniquet. But when Dawes took the tourniquet off and began applying one of his own, André Liohn, a Brazilian photojournalist for Der Spiegel and Newsweek who was on the scene, ordered him to stop. "I was replacing it with one of my much better tourniquets," said Dawes afterwards.

It didn't look that way to Liohn. When I called him at his home in Italy, he told me that he had a bad feeling about Dawes from the beginning. "I saw this guy walking towards me, and he was in full Rambo gear. He had a bulletproof vest, helmet, a sniper Kalashnikov, hand grenades on his chest and just a vest to show off his muscles. I thought, 'What the f***?'"

As for the tourniquet, "He had no idea how to use that poo poo." To get the doctor to safety, all of them had to scurry down alleys, clinging very close to the wall to avoid the bullets. "I could feel the shrapnel in my back, hot metal at my neck," remembers Liohn. "Kevin was in front of us, not knowing what to do. I kicked him really hard in the rear end." The problem with Dawes, reflected Liohn, is that "he arrived first saying that he was a journalist. From a journalist he became a paramedic and from a paramedic he became a semi-fighter. I think he was just having hallucinations, you know? And putting everyone at risk."

Liohn was further irked when, later on, Dawes came back and began riling him. There was some shoving and it quickly became heated; according to Liohn, Dawes was pushing him into the line of fire. When he heard Dawes cocking his weapon, Liohn snapped; he jumped on top of him, pulled off his helmet and began hitting him in the face with his camera. The rebels who were travelling with Liohn quickly separated them, but they were from a different militia; when Liohn told them that Dawes was a liability they arrested him on the spot. Dawes ended up being held for several days and was ordered to turn in his weapon - he could stay as a journalist or an aid worker, they said, or go home. Soon after, he did return home, but he continued stalking Liohn on the net, threatening him and claiming he knew where he lived. Liohn concluded that Dawes was psychotic and dangerous to know. "When I heard he disappeared in Syria," he told me, "I was very happy."

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I spent the last hour going through the Caro rabbit hole, and I guess I must have read it all in archives because I never read D&D until like 2014, but anyway he posts his private FB account several times on the forums, and his Facebook profile picture is him holding an IV bag at some surgery in Libya. His FB is up to date (last post 19 weeks ago) but nothing else interesting there.

I don't appear to be able to direct link FB images here, but anyway it's not a unique photo, I'd seen it before - I think it's from the Al Jazeera broadcast or something.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Wasn't it Caro who uploaded video of himself shooting water tanks?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the stupidest part of the caro saga is that about a year ago some of the cool zone people were publicly hitting him up for tips on fighting a guerilla war against the us government and just lo loving l

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What I still can’t believe is that there was actually some closure on the whole affair. after thinking he was toast for years and he gets repatriated alive? Now there are some forum lores for you.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the stupidest part of the caro saga is that about a year ago some of the cool zone people were publicly hitting him up for tips on fighting a guerilla war against the us government and just lo loving l

Sounds like The Revolution is alive and well. :lol:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Step 1: You must grow a mustache to cover your gigantic philtrum

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1484394925177262081

Near the height of the war against the Islamic State group in Syria, a sudden riot of explosions rocked the country’s largest dam, a towering, 18-story structure on the Euphrates River that held back a 25-mile-long reservoir above a valley where hundreds of thousands of people lived.

The Tabqa Dam was a strategic linchpin controlled by the Islamic State group. The explosions March 26, 2017, knocked dam workers to the ground. A fire spread and crucial equipment failed. The flow of the Euphrates River suddenly had no way through, the reservoir began to rise and authorities used loudspeakers to warn people downstream to flee.

The Islamic State group, the Syrian government and Russia blamed the United States, but the dam was on the U.S. military’s “no-strike list” of protected civilian sites, and the commander of the U.S. offensive at the time, then-Lt. Gen. Stephen J. Townsend, said allegations of U.S. involvement were based on “crazy reporting.”

In fact, members of a top secret U.S. special operations unit called Task Force 9 had struck the dam using some of the largest conventional bombs in the U.S. arsenal, including at least one BLU-109 bunker-buster bomb, according to two former senior officials. And they had done it despite a military report warning not to bomb the dam, because the damage could cause a flood that might kill tens of thousands of civilians.

After the strikes, dam workers stumbled on an ominous piece of good fortune: Five floors deep in the dam’s control tower, a U.S. BLU-109 bunker buster lay on its side, scorched but intact — a dud. If it had exploded, experts say, the whole dam might have failed.

Critical equipment lay in ruins and the dam stopped functioning entirely. The reservoir quickly rose 50 feet and nearly spilled over the dam, which engineers said would have been catastrophic. The situation grew so desperate that enemies in the yearslong conflict — the Islamic State group, the Syrian government, Syrian defense forces and the United States — called an emergency cease-fire so civilian engineers could race to avert a disaster.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Why. Why the gently caress bomb a dam.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Why. Why the gently caress bomb a dam.

Here's a little more on the targeting decision. Sounds like standard 'actually they made us bomb the hospital/school/critical infrastructure because they were using it as a terror facility' bullshit except even flimsier than usual.

The United States went into the war against the Islamic State group in 2014 with targeting rules intended to protect civilians and spare critical infrastructure.

But the Islamic State group sought to exploit those rules, using civilian no-strike sites as weapons depots, command centers and fighting positions. That included the Tabqa Dam.

The task force’s solution to this problem too often was to set aside the rules intended to protect civilians, current and former military personnel said.

Soon, the task force was justifying the majority of its airstrikes using emergency self-defense procedures intended to save troops in life-threatening situations, even when no troops were in danger. That allowed it to quickly hit targets — including no-strike sites — that would have otherwise been off-limits.

Perhaps no single incident shows the brazen use of self-defense rules and the potentially devastating costs more than the strike on the Tabqa Dam.

It is unclear what spurred the task force attack March 26.

Dam workers said they saw no heavy fighting or casualties that day before the bombs hit.

What is clear is that Task Force 9 operators called in a self-defense strike, which meant they did not have to seek permission from the chain of command.

A military report obtained through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit shows the operators contacted a B-52 bomber and requested an immediate airstrike on three targets. But the report makes no mention of enemy forces firing or heavy casualties. Instead, it says the operators requested the strikes for “terrain denial.”

A senior Defense Department official disputed that the task force overstepped its authority by striking without informing top leaders. The official said the strikes were conducted “within approved guidance” set by Townsend, the commander of the campaign against the Islamic State group.

First, the B-52 dropped bombs set to explode in the air above the targets to avoid damaging the structures, the senior military official said. But when those failed to dislodge the enemy fighters, the task force called for the bomber to drop three 2,000-pound bombs, including at least one bunker buster, this time set to explode when they hit the concrete.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I'm sorry for detouring into a fairly disposable point here, but the "Assadist propaganda" crack is pretty stupid when Assad almost certainly gained a net benefit from the US targeting ISIS even with such horrific methods since it freed up a lot of his forces from having fight them and made Assad himself seem more palatable to the United States.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I'm sorry for detouring into a fairly disposable point here, but the "Assadist propaganda" crack is pretty stupid when Assad almost certainly gained a net benefit from the US targeting ISIS even with such horrific methods since it freed up a lot of his forces from having fight them and made Assad himself seem more palatable to the United States.

It's not how I would have phrased it, but pointing out that the US nearly caused a mass casualty incident for civilians is something pro-Assad/pro-Russia/anti-intervention people would all have an interest in since it undermines the idea of our righteous intervention that justifies an indefinite occupation of part of the country, and it's true that anti-interventionists who are critical of US foreign policy have been smeared with the Assadist label.

Even the part about the US war on ISIS being a benefit to Assad isn't quite that clear cut since the US made at least some tentative efforts to get to Deir ez Zor ahead of Assad, and raced south to gobble up the oil fields east of the Euphrates once regime forces reached DeZ to make sure Assad didn't reclaim that part of the country from ISIS, but yeah they did have a common enemy at the time of the dam bombing, and presumably US action against ISIS was helpful earlier in the war.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The guy who threw the shoe at Bush is doing OK :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/muntazer_zaidi/status/1482411626666291201?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

where was he, did something happen? last i heard he seemed fine as part of muqtada al sadr's political party

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1484581288493432835

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
How could an order come in that they needed emergency self defense ordinance dropped on a dam? Obviously none of the support units related to the taskforce were interested in using any kind of critical thinking about the kind of information they were receiving, but it really defies credulity that everyone was simply following what they believed to be valid orders in good faith.

Just jaw-dropping that they would drop bombs on a dam as part of what was ostensibly rationalized as a humanitarian / anti-terrorism mission.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

How could an order come in that they needed emergency self defense ordinance dropped on a dam? Obviously none of the support units related to the taskforce were interested in using any kind of critical thinking about the kind of information they were receiving, but it really defies credulity that everyone was simply following what they believed to be valid orders in good faith.

Just jaw-dropping that they would drop bombs on a dam as part of what was ostensibly rationalized as a humanitarian / anti-terrorism mission.

Trump removed several layers of the air strike targeting process that existed purely to stop strikes that would have substantial civilian collateral damage. This was actually one of his core, public proposals for fighting the war on terror: that we should be killing their friends and families.

honestly there's going to be a lot more poo poo like this coming out. That was almost a 4 year period where the targeting rules were greatly relaxed and the reporting requirements for strikes were almost totally removed meaning it was a zero accountability bombing field day

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

They listed “area denial” as the reason for bombing. It’s not hard to look at a map of the Euphrates valley and see what ideas might pop into the diseased mind of an operator with access to b-52s and concrete liquidating armaments.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zedhe Khoja posted:

They listed “area denial” as the reason for bombing. It’s not hard to look at a map of the Euphrates valley and see what ideas might pop into the diseased mind of an operator with access to b-52s and concrete liquidating armaments.

That sounds doubtful, a catastrophic failure of the dam would have been global major news and anyone capable of tying their shoelaces would have understood that. This would have had such huge political weight that anyone involved would have been scrubbing toilets at some disciplinary facility in no time. Admittedly war crime doers often are idiots or shortsighted psychopaths, but people who have enough authority to order this level of use of force tend to also have some foresight to cover their own butts from obvious risks.

Rather it looks like they figured that the dam wouldn't be at risk of collapsing directly from the bombs (which turned out to be true) but were completely ignorant of indirect effects of the bombing, ie. that there could be critical equipment housed in the bombed targets and that the failure of those could still result in the dam failing. Also free of any care if a bomb didn't hit where it was supposed to or the dam's structures were weaker than thought.

Or from another angle, if they wanted to break the dam I'm sure they could have done it without much effort with those bombs. But to damage just the dam's generators or whatever takes knowledge and understanding of how it works and good planning, which seems less likely to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Rather it looks like they figured that the dam wouldn't be at risk of collapsing directly from the bombs (which turned out to be true) but were completely ignorant of indirect effects of the bombing, ie. that there could be critical equipment housed in the bombed targets and that the failure of those could still result in the dam failing. Also free of any care if a bomb didn't hit where it was supposed to or the dam's structures were weaker than thought.

The bunker buster didn't explode, so is it even clear that the dam would have survived that? I don't think anyone woke up that day deciding to flood thousands of people out of existence, but they sure were playing fast and loose and not really giving a poo poo what happened.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nenonen posted:

That sounds doubtful, a catastrophic failure of the dam would have been global major news and anyone capable of tying their shoelaces would have understood that. This would have had such huge political weight that anyone involved would have been scrubbing toilets at some disciplinary facility in no time.

You have far too much faith in how the US military punishes collateral damage.

A124!
Jun 28, 2009

Nenonen posted:

That sounds doubtful, a catastrophic failure of the dam would have been global major news and anyone capable of tying their shoelaces would have understood that. This would have had such huge political weight that anyone involved would have been scrubbing toilets at some disciplinary facility in no time. Admittedly war crime doers often are idiots or shortsighted psychopaths, but people who have enough authority to order this level of use of force tend to also have some foresight to cover their own butts from obvious risks.

The series of articles this one is part of makes it clear that the short sighted psychopaths avoided the normal (and already inadequate) procedures by claiming they were in immediate danger.

The series also makes it clear they didn’t need to cover their own butts because the rest of the military did it for them, even though complaints were filed against them and their strikes.

Nenonen posted:

That view is really not supported by the article. To me this paragraph:

”The article” posted:

After the strikes, dam workers stumbled on an ominous piece of good fortune: Five floors deep in the dam’s control tower, an American BLU-109 bunker-buster lay on its side, scorched but intact — a dud. If it had exploded, experts say, the whole dam might have failed.
Makes it pretty clear had the bomb actually detonated it could have caused the dam to fail, other experts in the article also echo that sentiment.

Nenonen posted:

Or from another angle, if they wanted to break the dam I'm sure they could have done it without much effort with those bombs. But to damage just the dam's generators or whatever takes knowledge and understanding of how it works and good planning, which seems less likely to me.
People with the knowledge and understanding of dams advised against using any kind of munitions on the structure these psychos had a 2 ton bunker busting bomb dropped on:

”The article” posted:

Task Force 9 was in charge of the ground offensive and had been devising ways to take the dam for months before the strike, according to one former official. The task force ordered a report from specialized engineers in the Defense Intelligence Agency’s Defense Resources and Infrastructure office to assess what size of bombs could safely be used in an attack.

The agency soon came back with a clear recommendation: Do not strike the dam.

In a presentation that ran about four pages, according to the two former officials, the engineers said small weapons like Hellfire missiles, which have 20-pound warheads, could be used on the earthen sections of the dam, but it was unsafe to use any bombs or missiles, no matter the size, on the concrete structures that controlled the flow of water.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah 2k bombs are the things the military drops on buildings they don't want to exist anymore. The "even if it had gone off it would've been fine" stuff is some Baghdad Bob poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOgLXiTdsWc
The blu 109 warhead is the one the US used in the Amiriyah bombing shelter massacre, and what they used to blow up the original Avala tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly think the low level guys got given too much power and authority and got high off the “good vs evil” aspect of fighting ISIS. Also I bet a few of the guys thought it would be cool to blow up the dam.