Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ultravoices posted:

the fiber man came yesterday and we low key flirted while he was working in the basement

it took all day but now i have all the internet

which is super excessive because it isn't like I torrent linux isos anymore.

the fiber man is coming tomorrow morning

1000/1000 is probably a bit excessive tbqh, but at&t meters anything slower. gonna be nice finally having real upload speeds.

i'm sure it's just a coincidence that the cable company announced that they are going to be rolling out gigabit in the area via docsis 3.1 just after at&t lit up the fiber, but given their current pricing it will probably cost a lot more than the gigabit fiber through ma bell and will be some lopsided 1000/35 nonsense like other areas which already have it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the fiber guy came yesterday so i can read and send shitposts at gigabit speed

fiber guy was kind of a bozo though and was doing sloppy work outside, so after he got the line to the house i told him to just hook up the ont and rg in the basement right where it came into the house to test it to make sure that it worked and leave it, then spent a few hours doing the interior work myself. i'm still going to have to have them come back out because he ran the line from the pole to the house on the wrong side of a tree and pulled it taut against it. he also didn't have a lot of the supplies needed and just hacked out the internals of the old copper phone line box to connect the street and house fiber and didn't have any cat5 or 6 cables to connect the ont to the rg. it's good that that installation fee was waived b/c that guy really sucked at his job.

seeing 900+ up and down on a speed test is p cool though

• Locked thread