Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell

Current:

Aquarium by David Vann

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OV9D9P4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the book:

quote:

David Vann’s new novel, “Aquarium,” about a lonely young girl who meets an old man at the Seattle Aquarium, begins on a deceptively light note. Its cinematic quality is due largely to a series of lovely, well-curated fish photographs that accompany 12-year-old Caitlin’s observation of the exotic fauna. But the momentary lightness of these early pages soon unspools into psychological darkness — and the intricate, colorful pictures diminish — as Caitlin moves away from the tranquillity and beauty of the aquarium and into the more dangerous spaces of a world populated by humans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/books/review/david-vanns-aquarium.html

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Aquarium by David Vann

It is time to unleash the beast

Mel Mudkiper posted:

also why havent you read Aquarium by David Vann yet

fridge corn posted:

you won't understand the lit thread until you finally read aquarium just to shut mel up

About the Author

quote:

Vann is a talented, Alaska-born writer whose professional success overseas has been extraordinary but who is, so far, a bit less known on his native soil. He has always written fiction about brutal violence — and always against a backdrop of the land, where men of strong character (albeit tragically flawed) know how to build boats and gut deer and haul in halibut, whereas men of weaker character tend to be, say, students or dentists. His frankly autobiographical novels and short stories return persistently to the subject of marital breakups, depression, suicide, murder and torture — to guns and to killing, of game animals, of bears and of wives, husbands and mothers.

Themes

quote:

Next to these R-rated tales, “Aquarium” is almost PG-13, although it, too, ultimately returns to story lines of paternal abandonment and vicious mistreatment of children. To say any more about its revelations and tense climax would be to offer spoilers. But “Aquarium” has a vastly different feel from Vann’s other books, a tone and texture quite removed from the relentlessness of his Alaskan (and rural Californian) tales. It leaves more air and space for the reader, it dwells less on physical mechanics, and it has a softer touch, as befits its gentle child protagonist.

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fish_Called_Wanda

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just bought it, now I can finally find out whether it's a dumb meme in the lit thread or an actually good book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Finally there's a place on this forum to talk about Aquarium by beloved American author David Vann!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Hell, one of the best books I've read this year. Y'all best get to it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cebrail posted:

Just bought it, now I can finally find out whether it's a dumb meme in the lit thread or an actually good book.

Actually good, glad I read it (especially since it's relatively short), but certainly not in my top 10 for the year.

I kind of got into my feelings about it, though, since I have young kids and Vann writes that perspective well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ima gonna wait a few weeks before joining in because everything I want to say is spoilery as all hell

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Finally there's a place on this forum to talk about Aquarium by beloved American author David Vann!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

David Vann looks like a lizard man wearing a human skin.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

We would also have accepted "that preacher from the Poltergeist sequel"

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Oh, glad this popped up finally. I actually already finished the book, but thought it was pretty drat good. The ending felt a bit rushed, but other then that it really was a hell of a ride. I don't want to go into anything too spoilery, but (dealing with the first half or so of the book. Don't read if you don't know who the old man is yet) I was totally expecting the old man to be a pedo. I'm sure Vann did that on purpose, but man the build up to the meeting between old man and mom was a slow build up of foreboding for me.

The tone of the writing was really nice and easy to read, although I found the total lack of quotation marks to be a strange choice.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

A human heart posted:

This guy?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

3.7/5 on Goodreads LMAO

Caribou Island is at 3.4/5 and yet I think it’s one of the best books I’ve read during the past few years. Can’t wait to sink my teeth into this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

3.7/5 on Goodreads LMAO

Caribou Island is at 3.4/5 and yet I think it’s one of the best books I’ve read during the past few years. Can’t wait to sink my teeth into this

I've been waiting to read it, but since he has so few books I didn't want to rush through all of them.

Goat Mountain is also excellent, and Legend of a Suicide goes without saying.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Ah, so his other works are good, too? I'm guessing from the snippy comments at the start of this thread that he is a relatively well known author, but this was honestly my first exposure to him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoDdamn Mel gets two books in a row?? Who died and made him book barn president.

Anyway I read this a ways back and it was really solid. I'll probably pick up one of his other books this month and just talk about that here instead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

USMC_Karl posted:

Ah, so his other works are good, too? I'm guessing from the snippy comments at the start of this thread that he is a relatively well known author, but this was honestly my first exposure to him.

He's interesting because he is an American author who is awarded and celebrated in Europe more the here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

USMC_Karl posted:

I've only heard of him on this forum. He seems to be a nearing meme status in the lit thread though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

USMC_Karl posted:

He's 'relatively well known' in the sense that one or two of the clowns in the lit thread keep talking about him

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CestMoi posted:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Prepare for disappointment.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm afraid I can't contribute to discussion of the book Aquarium by David Vann despite having read it; I feel giving my honest opinion of the work may detract from my ability to use it as a meme in the lit thread

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So since the comment about Aquarium being a meme keeps popping up, let me say this.

This book is really, really good. Genuinely my favorite book of the decade. Yeah it became a bit of a joke to bring it up in the lit thread, but it 100% succeeds on its own merits.

To be brief and non-spoilery, what fascinates me most about this book is how it deals with human responses and the impossibility of a clean resolution. The novel at every step is an aggression refutation of outcomes that fiction has taught you to expect. The characters react to an impossible series of ethical and emotional challenges messily. It is a story about human weakness, but it is a story that shows that people are rarely broken by tragedy. A lesser author would have the novel and the characters end at a point much cleaner and more satisfying to the narrator. He doesn't. This ultimately a story that shows people at their most human, in all the best and worst qualities it offers.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

USMC_Karl posted:

I was totally expecting the old man to be a pedo. I'm sure Vann did that on purpose, but man the build up to the meeting between old man and mom was a slow build up of foreboding for me.
Yeah. But the narrator mentions the old mans creepiness relatively early on and I found the pedo-angle telegraphed so hard that I expected it to be something else. Still, the meeting seems to be where everything starts to go downhill as the tone of the novel chances rather dramatically. I just read the scene where the mom throws out her boyfriend because of her anger at Caitlin, which I found very intense because the family is walking headfirst into disaster without obvious ways out and the main characters are well written enough for me to care about them.
(first half of the book)

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

3.7/5 on Goodreads LMAO

Why would it have a good rating on Goodreads, it's not even part of a YA fantasy series

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 10, 2017

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So since the comment about Aquarium being a meme keeps popping up, let me say this.

This book is really, really good. Genuinely my favorite book of the decade. Yeah it became a bit of a joke to bring it up in the lit thread, but it 100% succeeds on its own merits.

To be brief and non-spoilery, what fascinates me most about this book is how it deals with human responses and the impossibility of a clean resolution. The novel at every step is an aggression refutation of outcomes that fiction has taught you to expect. The characters react to an impossible series of ethical and emotional challenges messily. It is a story about human weakness, but it is a story that shows that people are rarely broken by tragedy. A lesser author would have the novel and the characters end at a point much cleaner and more satisfying to the narrator. He doesn't. This ultimately a story that shows people at their most human, in all the best and worst qualities it offers.

I didn't like it as much as you did (although as I said I do think it was worthwhile), but I agree strongly with all of these points and I found it an unflinching exploration of real human life.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, one of the complaints in the Lit thread I heard was that it wraps up too cleanly, which I find insane since its the least clean ending I have ever read

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

this book is good as hell

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

thats actually David Duke. Common misconception

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, one of the complaints in the Lit thread I heard was that it wraps up too cleanly, which I find insane since its the least clean ending I have ever read

Agreed, it's less of a good, clean ending and more of a, hey, there is a tiny glimmer of hope for this family, (just want to be safe, not really a spoiler in the sense that it tells you anything) kind of ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The book is good but I maintain it would have been better if it had focused on the cycle of domestic abuse and petty retribution and left out the lesbian romance angle.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The book is good but I maintain it would have been better if it had focused on the cycle of domestic abuse and petty retribution and left out the lesbian romance angle.

Yeah, that whole story seemed a little tacked on. I guess it serves as a way to set up yet one more thing that mom could flip out on, but it a)seemed to come out of nowhere and b)was wrapped up very quickly. Then again, it serves as a way for gramps to break through to mom, so I guess it does have some purpose in the story.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The romance story bothered me more because the love interest seemed kind of artificial. In a story of realistic, toned down people, the love interest seemed too much like a "character"

I do not think it was unnecessary however, because it was essential to what I think is the best part of the entire novel.

I would never love my mother like I had again

That idea is essential to the core of the story. It is the shattering of the childish hero worship of someone's parents and the confrontation with them as flawed people

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The lesbian romance is important, because it's the final moment where Caitlin realizes that while her love for her mother was unconditional, it is not reciprocated at all; Caitlin's sexuality is completely natural, it is never considered taboo or wrong or risque, and it provides her with an emotional connection she hasn't been able to receive from anyone. For her mother to deny this to her and say "No, I no longer accept you because of this", is what finally solidifies Caitlin's cycle of maturity, because her mother can't love her the way she loves her mother, and because it's a form of cruelty and abuse that her mother is creating for her outside of her own personal scars left by her father, which she has been sharing with/exposing Caitlin to. Caitlin is able to experience and overcome the former abuse because she's able to justify it as an act of love from her mother. However, her mom denying her because of her personal love shows Caitlin her mom's selfishness and myopic sense of right and wrong.

I haven't read the book in a year, so I may have some details wrong when discussing it. It is one of the best reading experiences I've had in years and I have gladly contributed to the Vann meme, and it deserves more exposure.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those still reading, pay attention to the many different forms of camouflage throughout the story, especially in the first and third act. Each fish that Caitlin talks about reflects different themes within the story, as well.

edit:

Also, there's a pretty good interview between Michael Silverblatt and David Vann on KCRW's Bookworm podcast/radio show that was held for Aquarium's release which has some fun insight into the story. For instance, when writing, Vann only knew that Caitlin would meet an old man at an aquarium, and found through writing it was her grandfather.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 13, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Also, there's a pretty good interview between Michael Silverblatt and David Vann on KCRW's Bookworm podcast/radio show that was held for Aquarium's release which has some fun insight into the story. For instance, when writing, Vann only knew that Caitlin would meet an old man at an aquarium, and found through writing it was her grandfather.

I heard that story too and I have to admit I kinda feel like it bullshit. It's such an essential element of the story that I have no idea how he could not have planned it beforehand

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I heard that story too and I have to admit I kinda feel like it bullshit. It's such an essential element of the story that I have no idea how he could not have planned it beforehand

Books go through lots of drafts and sometimes writers do the first one off the cuff

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

blue squares posted:

Books go through lots of drafts and sometimes writers do the first one off the cuff

Yeah, like, sometimes they start writing something that might not be intended to be a full novel or maybe not even a short story but just some vignette or other, and then they have an idea halfway through writing it and it turns into something completely different from what they set out to write.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, he may just have had an image of a little girl in an aquarium meeting an old man and just wanted to see where the story went. I've had stories evolve from images, and many great stories and novels have weird origins like that. Another example is supposedly Chuck P. didn't know Fight Club's twist until he wrote it, and then he went back and rewrote the novel to fit it. Ideas just pop out of the ether when you're writing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Guy who's never written any fiction detected :shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

that mom was such a bitch idve told her to fuk off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

that mom was such a bitch idve told her to fuk off lol

lol hell yea this guy gets it