Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I also like about the ending is that it explicitly denies resolution.

It says, there can be no resolution to this because no resolution to this exists.

The grandfather will never be able to make up for his neglect. The mother will never be able to make up for her abuse. None of the characters will ever be able to atone for what they did. The turning point in their lives is realising that just because you cannot atone for the past, it doesnt mean you cannot do what is best now.

The climax of the story is the grandfather realising that even though he did something unforgivable and irreparable, his attempts to atone by being so passive is only causing a new cycle of hurt. He realizes he can never fix the damage he caused to his daughter, but that doesn't mean he must stand by and allow his granddaughter to be abused because he feels guilty.

I can’t say I really liked this book at all, but I do think this was a strong point in its favor. This book could have leaned into a half hearted redemption attempt but it didn’t, which would I think have ruined it for people who did like the rest. And for me it managed to nail this part in a way I didn’t think it did for much else.

Anyway, even though it’s December I wanted to say something nice about I book I didn’t like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread