Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Oh, glad this popped up finally. I actually already finished the book, but thought it was pretty drat good. The ending felt a bit rushed, but other then that it really was a hell of a ride. I don't want to go into anything too spoilery, but (dealing with the first half or so of the book. Don't read if you don't know who the old man is yet) I was totally expecting the old man to be a pedo. I'm sure Vann did that on purpose, but man the build up to the meeting between old man and mom was a slow build up of foreboding for me.

The tone of the writing was really nice and easy to read, although I found the total lack of quotation marks to be a strange choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Ah, so his other works are good, too? I'm guessing from the snippy comments at the start of this thread that he is a relatively well known author, but this was honestly my first exposure to him.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, one of the complaints in the Lit thread I heard was that it wraps up too cleanly, which I find insane since its the least clean ending I have ever read

Agreed, it's less of a good, clean ending and more of a, hey, there is a tiny glimmer of hope for this family, (just want to be safe, not really a spoiler in the sense that it tells you anything) kind of ending.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The book is good but I maintain it would have been better if it had focused on the cycle of domestic abuse and petty retribution and left out the lesbian romance angle.

Yeah, that whole story seemed a little tacked on. I guess it serves as a way to set up yet one more thing that mom could flip out on, but it a)seemed to come out of nowhere and b)was wrapped up very quickly. Then again, it serves as a way for gramps to break through to mom, so I guess it does have some purpose in the story.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

ulvir posted:

some more poetry would be nice and good

I would actually be down for this. I just picked up poetry thanks to the book lord challenge and really enjoyed what I've read so far, but would like some direction/some folks to read with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Song of Myself

Sounds good, that's on my TBR list.

• Locked thread