Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The game originally let you pick one rite each round from a list of 3 specific to that round. Like you said it tended to result in quite a bit of waiting, especially for matches that went longer than 3-0. Having some flexibility would be nice but it'd probably be a challenge without messing with gameflow. Maybe after round 2 they could give you 15-20 seconds or something to change out a rite or two, and just lock in your current build if you failed to confirm a new one. A lot of people are still trying to grasp the basics though and I think it'd just confuse a lot of them right now. Especially because, frankly, I don't think builds are that important until you get to Diamond+ and before that raw mechanical skill will carry you a lot further.

As for placements they're definitely conservative for people with no established rating, but I actually landed in Plat 3 despite losing all of my placement games since I've been Diamond/Champ previously. If nothing else you get to enjoy a day or two of raw stomps until the Gamer Depression sets in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

As for placements they're definitely conservative for people with no established rating, but I actually landed in Plat 3 despite losing all of my placement games since I've been Diamond/Champ previously. If nothing else you get to enjoy a day or two of raw stomps until the Gamer Depression sets in!

I hope that Tournament System is sooner in 2018 rather than later. Once you start to stall out at your rating, having some daily or weekly system to go in and be King of Bronze Mountain or whatever lets you feel like you made some tangible progress if you win 5 games in a row and get a trophy, as opposed to going 50% winrate over 20 matches in a regular queue.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Good lord the UI in this is a mess. I keep getting lost in menus, I'm constantly unreadied while waiting in queue, and mounts are bugged and you can't equip anything that has more than one color.

Why are there so many redundant paths to any given menu tab?

At least the game's actually fun once I finally get into a match.
Yeah. They released a new UI that's significantly worse than the old UI right before f2p came out.

Less than 5% of my day job is UI design and I have no clue how they replaced the old UI with this one. How did it not get vetod by literally anyone who tried to use it? Independent of how it looks, awful by the way, it's a gigantic chore to use compared to the old one.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 12, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Khorne posted:

Yeah. They released a new UI that's significantly worse than the old UI right before f2p came out.

Around 5% of my day job is UI design and I'd be fired for a UI like this. Independent of how it looks, awful by the way, it's a gigantic chore to use compared to the old one.

Honestly the old UI was pretty good. Showed your hero front and center when you logged in, which is good when the focus of the game is your hero choice before you even queue.

It lacked a lot of features like better collection management and had no support for battlerite loadouts (obviously) but it just needed to be iterated on, given a better chat UI, and polished up with better art assets.

It's great! The PLAY button is right there, front and center, instead of being buried in a list of menu options and hidden behind a news page!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Even though I'm slamming the UI and some ability icon changes, the gameplay of this game is real fun and solid. You should all definitely try it. There are no real complaints once you're in the game and playing. It's essentially WoW Arena: the game or BLC: less skill shots, more accessible. WoW arena does teamwork and team comp synergy better and BLC did the opposite side of that better (individual skill cap), but the game is in a real decent spot and the tradeoffs it makes are reasonable until you've spent 5 million hours and are #1 the best.

Nearly every gameplay change they've made has either been positive or neutral. And the ones that weren't they changed again.

Minrad posted:

Honestly the old UI was pretty good. Showed your hero front and center when you logged in, which is good when the focus of the game is your hero choice before you even queue.

It lacked a lot of features like better collection management and had no support for battlerite loadouts (obviously) but it just needed to be iterated on, given a better chat UI, and polished up with better art assets.

It's great! The PLAY button is right there, front and center, instead of being buried in a list of menu options and hidden behind a news page!
The old UI is mysterious to people who aren't familiar with it. The new UI is just as mysterious if not more so, so the one major flaw of the old UI wasn't even fixed. The thing that bothers me most is someone clearly put a lot of thought into the old UI. The new UI is lacking all the careful thought and usability considerations that the old one had. The new UI also looks and navigates like a truck full of tablet design ideas was rear ended by a deeply nested late '90s JRPG menu. Not an ace combination for a mouse+keyboard game.

It would take less effort to bring the old UI up to snuff than to make the new one actually good. Some parts of the old UI were poorly coded. For example, there were lots of weird interactions with having the odeum up. Who knows what it was like under the hood.

I'm not entirely sure why they decided to switch from warm to cool when the characters and maps are warm. The reddit is also an odd mix of warm and cool now where the blue parts look really out of place compared to the white background+warm text. I've found a lot of their art direction as of late to be questionable in general. A lot of the icon redesigns are worse than the originals because it's not clear at all what they are depicting. Ashka is a real prime example of this, and some of Freya's icons are like this too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The only plausible defence I can really imagine for the new UI is that the old one was slapped together spaghetti for the Beta/EA launch, while this one should hopefully scale up for some time to come without breaking down constantly.

On the other hand, odeum hasn't really been working since the UI patch, so who can say for sure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I promise you that a lot of the UI decisions are because the game is getting an XBone release and they aren't interested in making two UIs, so they made a controller UI and just let you click through it. Which, frankly, sucks and I wish they didn't do that, but I guess it's their solution at least for the time being. People have proposed a lot of minor tweaks that would significantly help mouse users so hopefully coming patches address that, though right now they likely have their hands full with Destiny (the character) and the Prehistoric Event coming up.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of changes, what happened to the old tutorial? The one with the nice little plot and lots of dialogue?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There were too many things it didn't teach, and those it did were more through text than anything else. It was cute but the new one definitely prepares players for the game better than the old did. It didn't even mention EX abilities.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I promise you that a lot of the UI decisions are because the game is getting an XBone release and they aren't interested in making two UIs, so they made a controller UI and just let you click through it. Which, frankly, sucks and I wish they didn't do that, but I guess it's their solution at least for the time being. People have proposed a lot of minor tweaks that would significantly help mouse users so hopefully coming patches address that, though right now they likely have their hands full with Destiny (the character) and the Prehistoric Event coming up.

Wait how is this game playable on a console lol

Kraden
Mar 22, 2010

tekz posted:

Poorly.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

tekz posted:

left and right click on triggers, q and e on shoulder buttons. left stick down for ex abilities, right stick for space. A button for ult.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
basically that yeah. I mean I assume the Xbone has kb/s support (but maybe not, I seriously have no clue), but I guess it's the same as how Overwatch got a console port even though lol controller fps

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

tekz posted:

It's basically a twin-stick-shooter?
Iunno.
Seems like targetting AOE s would be clunky but doable.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBD1z4Vu4qw&t=352s
Fairly poorly? It seems doable, and maybe ok with some aim support, but this guy is GC and stalls out in Diamond with a controller, if I remember correctly.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Minrad posted:

I hope that Tournament System is sooner in 2018 rather than later. Once you start to stall out at your rating, having some daily or weekly system to go in and be King of Bronze Mountain or whatever lets you feel like you made some tangible progress if you win 5 games in a row and get a trophy, as opposed to going 50% winrate over 20 matches in a regular queue.

It also encourages people to form pub teams when they aren't on the top. Like, I'm low Diamond, so I'm not winning any of the big league tournaments. But it's just high enough that I could scam some lucky wins if most of the Champion players didn't happen to do a particular daily tournament. And that means more social connections and more people playing to win, streaming it, and just generally helping along the esports thing. Instead my teams with randoms have entirely been teaching new folks and getting ranked rewards for my friends, excepting the one time I ran Sirius/Pesti with some guy because the game never naturally queues 2x supports in 2v2 and we wanted to try it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I spent an hour perfecting the Steam Controller settings for this game and then I got wrecked by people who weren’t playing with controllers and my teammates told me to kill myself

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ignite Memories posted:

I spent an hour perfecting the Steam Controller settings for this game and then I got wrecked by people who weren’t playing with controllers and my teammates told me to kill myself

harsh, but fair. a flower's life is brief... yet beautiful.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Be sure to watch and support PRL tourneys :c00lbutt:

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

whats people's opinion on this kind of stuff? i usually tell players like that to not be toxic and report them after the match if they didn't simmer down. not sure how strict of a policy stunlock wants to have on rude behavior, but i figure it's worth a shot. id rather have high community standards than let assholes mess up the game experience for others.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

slouch posted:

whats people's opinion on this kind of stuff? i usually tell players like that to not be toxic and report them after the match if they didn't simmer down. not sure how strict of a policy stunlock wants to have on rude behavior, but i figure it's worth a shot. id rather have high community standards than let assholes mess up the game experience for others.

I report that poo poo as soon as I can. If the matches went on longer I'd probably bother trying to get them to calm down, but given that they last 6-10 minutes I usually just ignore them and don't engage.

fwiw, my experience in the game so far has actually been really positive, with one negative outlier. People are well-mannered, and take encouragement and advice well (or silently).

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Be sure to watch and support PRL tourneys :c00lbutt:

Grand finals are starting now. The leadup matches had some really hype moments already, so the grand finals should be pretty legit!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

hito posted:

It also encourages people to form pub teams when they aren't on the top. Like, I'm low Diamond, so I'm not winning any of the big league tournaments. But it's just high enough that I could scam some lucky wins if most of the Champion players didn't happen to do a particular daily tournament. And that means more social connections and more people playing to win, streaming it, and just generally helping along the esports thing. Instead my teams with randoms have entirely been teaching new folks and getting ranked rewards for my friends, excepting the one time I ran Sirius/Pesti with some guy because the game never naturally queues 2x supports in 2v2 and we wanted to try it.

One thing the BLC system did was that tournaments could be locked by tiers. So if you were Diamond, EVERYONE who signs up for your tournament is gonna be a diamond player. If you're bronze, you can sign up for the bronze tournaments. etc.

There was a varied amount of tournaments, so you could sign up for total free for alls as well as other special reward or tournament types, but having league locked tournaments is nice because you know you have a much better chance to win a tournament, despite maybe not being good enough to climb out of your skill bracket yet. It'll be neat to see if they carry that system forward.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Minrad posted:

One thing the BLC system did was that tournaments could be locked by tiers. So if you were Diamond, EVERYONE who signs up for your tournament is gonna be a diamond player. If you're bronze, you can sign up for the bronze tournaments. etc.

There was a varied amount of tournaments, so you could sign up for total free for alls as well as other special reward or tournament types, but having league locked tournaments is nice because you know you have a much better chance to win a tournament, despite maybe not being good enough to climb out of your skill bracket yet. It'll be neat to see if they carry that system forward.

What about smurf accounts? I didn't play BLC but that system sounds ripe for abusers.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Det_no posted:

What about smurf accounts? I didn't play BLC but that system sounds ripe for abusers.

Probably would require a significant amount of time played or in-game purchases.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I am rear end at videogames and Shifu but managed to get into the tail end of gold, game's fun y'all.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
We get anything for current league? Used to show rewards but no idea what they are currently.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

koolkal posted:

It wouldn't be gaming if you weren't pandering to horny manchildren
The thing is that Lucie is like 15 or so years old.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lucie's an adult (or at least like a university dropout), she just doesnt have massive honkers unlike every other grown woman in multiplayer online battle arenas.

Draynar posted:

We get anything for current league? Used to show rewards but no idea what they are currently.

it's preseason right now, so no i guess

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Thorn is exactly as I remember him, does nothing and then tries to 3 v 1 the enemy team.
Gets a final ppoint score of 2000.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Looks like we'll get Metal Warden at the end of November.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Arzachel posted:

Looks like we'll get Metal Warden at the end of November.

Oooo, nice, source?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

burger time posted:

Oooo, nice, source?

We've actually known that for a while, sorta. They released a road map back in September that mentioned two champions in November (and one a month for four months after that), and one of them was Destiny the Sky Ranger. People speculated she would be Metal Warden but no one really knew anything concrete until the F2P trailer last week, which has about 3 seconds of footage of a new character fighting Sirius and they use MW's morph ball attack.

I don't think they've said anything else about her though, and I don't expect anything until next week at the earliest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/comments/7cvlgi/an_update_on_the_jade_concept_art_contest/

Everyone please vote for the BLC skin, god bless.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Guardian when?

I need chain heal and boomerang axe in my life

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Minrad posted:

Guardian when?

I need chain heal and boomerang axe in my life

I think Guardian might have been cannibalised for some of the other reworked in their port.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Guardian's abilities are actually one of the few that haven't been used for other heroes, at least not that I can see. Her M1 is still unique (insofar as "charge over time" is unique still), same with M2. Her charge is only similar to Rook's in that it's a charge (and Glutton had one anyway), and the "refresh/charge M1 upon hitting an ally" is obviously different. Chains is unique CC and I don't think any ability in Battlerite has the cooldown lock mechanic either. Her trance has similarities to Sirius' but it still has unique properties. BLC's tank shields aren't represented in Battlerite aside from Inhibitor's Guard and now Thorn's thing.

Her ult and Chain Heal are also pretty unique still, but I guess her leap EX is sorta similar to Raigon's space.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Her M1 is still unique (insofar as "charge over time" is unique still)

It was given to RK for the Harbinger port, and arguably all the healer burst M1s like Pearl/Sirius/etc all use a similar system. It's kind of underused so far, so I'd welcome Guardian to fill in that niche more. Plus she still had the standard 1-2-3 combo hits if you kept melee attacking rather than waiting for it to charge, so she'd behave more like a hybrid of most of the melee champs and the charge system.

We also need an ammo system melee hero. Croak is... kind of an ammo using melee hero? But I mean one that actually reloads passively like jade/iva/etc.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 14, 2017

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

It was given to RK for the Harbinger port, and arguably all the healer burst M1s like Pearl/Sirius/etc all use a similar system. It's kind of underused so far, so I'd welcome Guardian to fill in that niche more. Plus she still had the standard 1-2-3 combo hits if you kept melee attacking rather than waiting for it to charge, so she'd behave more like a hybrid of most of the melee champs and the charge system.

We also need an ammo system melee hero. Croak is... kind of an ammo using melee hero? But I mean one that actually reloads passively like jade/iva/etc.

Hm I wonder if MW will have ammo. And her shield, man that thing was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Jumong

Jumon G

Jumon djee

Jumanji

:wth: :iiam:

• Locked thread