Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hello my fellow games-interested goons, hey guess what?!? It's time again for our weird little subforum's annual gift-exchange tradition, Trad Games Secret Santa!

:frogsiren:The main round is closed, but you can still participate! We're now in LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS. Read the rules below and then jump to this post for the LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND rules!:frogsiren:

Rules Quick-Reference
See below for the full explanation of the rules; this is just a quick rundown:
1. Announce your intention to participate in this here thread. Include gift preferences, your general location, and your solemn vow.
2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com with your mailing address, SA username, whether or not you'll ship internationally, and any important info.
3. Receive and read your confirmation email, which arrives within a couple of days.
4. Check your inbox on Saturday, November 18th for your Santee Assignment.
5. Find your Santee's sign-up post in this thread, and read their gift preferences, if any.
6. Send a gift to your Santee. Mail it no later than December 15th, AND ensure it will arrive no later than December 19th. MAKE A POST when you send your gift!
7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift (whether you open it or not). If you're not sure if it's a TGSS gift, then open it, don't wait till xmas. I need to know you got your thing, and so does your Santa!
8. When you open your gift, post what you got! Take pictures if you can.
9. If you get a lovely gift, or nothing arrives, email tgsecretsanta@gmail.com so I can fix it.
10. Stick around in the thread till it's closed, or at least until mid-January. There might be a follow-up thing you need to do, or a question to answer, or de-grinching to do, or a survey or something.

OK on to all the :words:

What's Trad Games Secret Santa?
It's an anonymized gift exchange for the goons who hang out in the Trad Games subforum. Goons sign up to trade presents with other goons. I handle the anonymization of assignments, sending your personal information to a total stranger, who will then mail you a gift. Similarly, I'll send someone else's info to you, and you have to send them a gift. We waste a ton of money on postage, but gently caress it, this is fun!

How do I do it?
Read all the STEP BY STEP RULES in this post (scroll down) and follow them carefully. If you have problems with reading comprehension maybe read it twice or have an adult read it to you. There's ten whole rules and you have to obey them and follow instructions. Each of the rules has a reason behind it so don't skip them.

So I am going to buy something for someone?
Yes. You have to get a gift for a Trad Games goon. Ideally your gift should be picked out specifically for the goon you're assigned. Since this is the Trad Games forum, we're generally focused on games-related stuff, but you kind of have free reign so it doesn't necessarily have to be a game gift... but it probably should, unless you're sure your non-game gift will delight your target Santee.

Signing up for this is a financial obligation. It is not okay to sign up and then disappear, because someone will send you a present, and then whoever your assignment is, gets grinched. Please take a moment to think seriously about this before you just mash the Reply button.

in this traditional game, the grinch is being shamed by the good children, probably

How much does it cost?
US$30 (or its approximate equivalent in Foreign Money), plus shipping. You don't deduct shipping from the gift dollar guideline amount because it's not your Santee's fault he lives in Tuvalu and he shouldn't have to have a worse gift just because you're 8000 miles away. You can save money on shipping in several ways: keep reading.

What if my Santee lives in an Exotic Foreign Land like Japan, the Mothering Sunday Islands, or Belgium?
I try to match goons to other goons that are in nearby countries. There are always a few gaps, though, so if you are willing to cover the extra cost of international shipping, then you can say so and I will randomly choose from among the volunteers where needed. If you do get matched up with a Foreign Goon, remember that you can often order directly from an online retailer in their country instead of paying international shipping. If you don't want to get matched with a foreign goon, say so in your sign-up email.

I can't afford $30 plus shipping!
If $30 plus shipping is genuinely a hardship for you, you might be too poor to be buying presents for strangers on the internet. You can make something, but your made thing has to have a value to your Santee of at least $30. Plus you still absolutely have to ship it on time.

International shipping is too expensive!
Based on past years, if you live in the continental US, Canada, the UK, or Australia, and you don't volunteer to ship internationally, you'll probably not have to send anything overseas. Eurogoons usually get matched to other Eurogoons. Anyone in another country will almost definitely have to buy internationally, although again, you can generally just buy online in the target country.

I'm scared!
So far the track record for this thing has been pretty good, and as far as I know, we've had zero incidents of stalking. The great majority of goons were happy they took part, and most have been coming back in subsequent years. I did a survey a couple years ago so now I have statistical proof that most goons think this is a good time.

This Year's Deadlines – NOTE DEADLINES HAVE CHANGED
Some time on Saturday, November 18th, (which is the weekend before Thanksgiving in the US) I will make assignments and email them out. You will then have until A WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS which is approximately, Tuesday, December 19th to get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee. To meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 15th. It will be up to you to decide if you want to get your gift sent on time using a cheap shipping option, or wait until the last minute and then get your gift sent on time using an expensive shipping option. The final is so early because too many goons have missed it every year. You're still getting nearly four weeks of time, which is plenty.

What if I forget?
Don't forget. Bookmark this thread. Something Awful provides a fancy bookmarking feature just for you! You should use it. Click on your Control Panel link to see your bookmarked threads. Maybe also set up an alarm clock in your calendar app or something? I may send out email-based reminders to check in with people who are worrying me with their absence but you should not rely on that. If you are the kind of person who gets excited about things and then blows them off and forgets about them the next day, then this gig is not for you. Don't sign up.
You can of course make things easier on yourself by just buying something and shipping it immediately after you get your assignment. I have timed it so you will get your assignment just in time to take advantage of the “cyber monday” online sales. Online retailers like Amazon offer all kinds of great discounts during that week, so you can take advantage and get your gift mailed automatically directly to your Santee and have nothing to stress or worry about all December.

What if I don't get a present because my Secret Santa is an rear end in a top hat?
This is called “being Grinched.” If you get Grinched, like an old-west Sheriff I will round up a posse of de-Grinchers and together we will cover for the rear end in a top hat out of the goodness of our hearts. You will get a present no matter what. And Grinches get Stitches. There are consequences.

It's already after the deadline! Does that mean I can't participate?
You are in luck! After the first deadline, we run LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS!. Beginning November 19th, and continuing until roughly December 10th, we will have a series of extra bonus rounds. It works like this: you use exactly the same process to sign up. I collect names until either I have at least 8, or, a whole week has passed AND I have at least 3, whichever comes first. So each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND will have from three to eight goons. Then I do a mini-gift-round assignment. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! And the instant one LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND ends, the next one begins. Since the pool of participants will be very small, the odds that multiple goons will have to ship internationally go up, though, so keep that in mind. You can participate in as many rounds as you want.
LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND 1 starts HERE!

I'm rich and/or greedy. Can I send two gifts?
gently caress yes you can! Just let me know in your email (step 2) how many gifts you want to send and receive, and I'll make it happen. Each gift still has to meet all the standard requirements.

I only want specific kinds of stuff
That's fine. Just put your requests in your post when you sign up. There's no 100% guarantee, but really that's just like Christmas at home, isn't it? The worst case scenario is you get some $30 Thing that wasn't exactly what you wanted. That's not such a big deal.

This is a Traditional Game you might get, perhaps

I might get something I already have!
That's true. There's only one way to avoid this for sure, and that's by posting what you've already got. You can use boardgamegeek for that, or just make a list, or be more specific about what you do want. There's still a chance you get a duplicate of something you have, though. I can't think of a way to avoid it completely, so you need to be ready for this specific thing to possibly happen. I'm sorry.

Darnit, now you have two copies of this Traditional Game!

What if I never post in Trad Games?
You're welcome too. If you have an SA account in good standing that existed before I posted this post, you're eligible to participate. Welcome to the club! Probably you'll get something TG related, though. Or a dong. If you have a brand new SA account registered after this post was posted, then I'm worried about you. Let's have a chat and figure out if you're trustworthy. Send me an email before signing up.

The Shitlist of Shame
These goons hosed up enough to get called out:

The General. It's been seven years now but he managed to Grinch goons two years in a row. His only excuse was that basically he was too lazy to go buy a thing and mail it. He is not allowed to participate in TGSS.
Arrgytehpirate. In 2011, this guy never managed to follow instructions, insisting on using PMs instead of emails. I let that slide but then he too forever to respond. Finally he sent me a photo of a package he was supposedly sending out but it never arrived. Weeks later he supposedly got it returned in the mail but his santee, who had also participated in a lightning round, had received a gift from his other santa so the address was definitely fine. Arrgytehpirate was the epitome of disinterested and disconnected half-assedness. For doing a little less than the bare minimum he was disallowed from participating in 2012. In subsequent years, he's invited to participate, but in a probationary way where I will cut his poo poo off if I'm not impressed by his reformation into a responsive person who can follow instructions.
NutritiousSnack. NutritiousSnack doubled down on TGSS in 2013. His main round Santee finally got his gift on January 13th, and his Bonus Round santee finally got his gift on February 2nd. One major shipping snafu might be an honest mistake; two is a pattern. NutritiousSnack was also difficult to get ahold of, with days or weeks going by between responses. Being multiple months late with your gifts is bad, and being slack about communicating when your stuff has gone missing is worse. NutritiousSnack was on probation in 2014, but now he can participate if he wants. Demonstrating reform could get him off this list!
MySwan in 2015 sent his santee a pair of socks, and something on DTRPG. He didn't follow up for ages, and when he did, he let things slide a lot. He was hard to contact, and in the end I don't think the DTRPG thing was ever worked out. He's allowed to come back after being on probation last year, but he'll need to still make amends.
EatinCake in 2015 claimed to have made a handmade gift, claimed to have forgotten to send it before going on vacation, claimed he would send things on the 4th, and nothing ever arrived. He was very unresponsive via email, and eventually his Santee had to be degrinched.
NovaLion screwed up in 2013: posted overseas, he got deployed, didn't respond to emails for weeks, made excuses, promised delivery, and then disappeared again. Long after his Santee was de-grinched, his gifts arrived in March 2014. NovaLion was suspended: but then he came back and made amends, apologizing and making a charitable donation, so he was permitted to participate again. Unfortunately, in 2016, NovaLion relapsed: his main round gift went fine, but his bonus round gift never arrived, he did not respond to emails about it during the week after xmas, and had to be de-grinched again. NovaLion is permanently banned from participation in TGSS.

Redemption is possible for those who are willing to make amends... but not for severe transgressions or repeat offenders.

:frogsiren:FULL STEP BY STEP RULES:frogsiren:
These are step-by-step instructions in full. Just do all of them, in order.

1. Announce your intention to participate in this here thread. Put the following information in BOLD so it's easy to see:
Your Gift Preferences. This means describe things and categories of things you'd love to receive. This is mandatory. You can be specific but it's better to be general. E.g., “I'd love a blueray movie” or “I need tabletop wargaming scenery” or “I'd like the hardback Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook.” You can also specify things you don't want, like “I have enough dice thanks” or “I hate animes” or “Do not give money to Games Workshop” or whatever. The more help you give your Secret Santa, the higher the likelihood you will get something that you will actually like. If you just put “I'd love anything at all,” be prepared to receive anything, up to and including Dongs. But more likely, you might receive something you already own, especially if you chat about it in TG. If you don't want a duplicate of a game you already have, you need to tell your Santa that you have that game.
Your General Location. You'll be telling me your mailing address via e-mail anyway, but goons like to know where in the world all the other goons are. It's funner that way. You can say things like “Chicago” or “Wisconsin” or “Australia”, however specific or general you feel like being.
Your Solemn Vow that you will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when you get your present and tell us all what you got and who sent it to you.

2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com containing the following information:
“Secret Santa Sign Up” or similar in the subject line so I can be sure you're not a computer program trying to sell penis pills.
Your REAL NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. This is important because someone is going to mail things to you and they need to know how. If someone mails a thing to this name and address and you don't get it because you moved or it's not a real address or the postal carrier refused to deliver a package addressed to “CockDragon1986” or something, that's your fault and you will have self-Grinched which is the most embarrassing thing ever.
Your Something Awful login name. It should be obvious why I need this.
Your willingness or unwillingness to ship internationally. Please be specific if you have restrictions. For example, if you're only willing to ship within North America, please say so. Remember, shipping costs are in addition to the $30 gift guideline.
Anything else of importance. Special information might include a list of your mortal enemies which I had better not match you with, a date after which you will be at a different address, your allergy to cheese, or whatever. I promise not to match you (as Santa or Santee) with anyone you don't want to be matched with, and I will pass along any messages to your Santa or Santee that you need passed along. You can also ask questions timidly in this email instead of boldly in the thread, if you prefer.

3. Check for a confirmation email from tgsecretsanta@gmail.com
Everyone who signs up will get a confirmation email within a short amount of time (usually within a day or two). If you don't get one, check your spam filters and then PM me, send another e-mail, or post in the thread and I'll troubleshoot the issue. Your confirmation email is sent at the same time that I put you on the Official Spreadsheet of Cheer, so it's important. It verifies you're signed up, and verifies that you're able to receive important correspondence from me.

4. Wait until Saturday, November 18th and then check your inbox. That is the day I will close registration for the main round, and assign names using a secret method. It's also the beginning of a holiday week for most goons in the US, and also various holiday promotions have usually gotten going by then so maybe you can get an online discount. I will post in the thread as I get these assignments out.

You must keep your Santee's personal information secret and private. Don't post or forward or copy their real name, other fake name(s), address, or email address in the thread or anywhere else. Don't try to go visit your Santee, that's creepy. This is important. Respect your Santee's privacy.

5. Check the thread, find your Santee's first post, and read up on his or her greedy demands. And then buy them a present and mail it. The Officially Recommended Spending Amount is US$30. It is OK to spend a bit more than that if you feel generous. It is OK to spend slightly less than that if you have the perfect thing which costs $28.95, or whatever. But it is not OK to Grinch your Santee by sending them a used paperback book and $8 of baseball cards. The only truly universal gifts are love and money. For everything else, it's best to at least try to determine whether your amazing gift idea would actually be delightful to your Santee. Many people like to leave their options wide open and you can feel free to send whatever you like to them. Others have a more focused domain of Trad Gaming they enjoy, and it's best to try and fit your present into that domain if you can.
If you get stuck on gift ideas, send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I will help you out. I can ask your Santee questions while preserving the veneer of anonymity, and I also am full of great ideas for the difficult-to-shop-for.

Also, we may have Santees under the legal age for drinking, or who don't drink, so you must check with me before sending alcoholic beverages to your Santee. Some people have food allergies, too. Don't send food without checking.

Sometimes you have a thing that you already own that you want to send, that's OK too, just try and figure out what that thing would be worth, roughly (in its present used condition of course), and make sure your giftee is delighted by your largesse instead of saddened by your cheapness.

Regarding handmade gifts:

A lot of us really enjoy the personal touch of a handmade gift, so this might be a great idea. But there are hazards. If you haven't already made your gift, be sure you'll have plenty of time. The estimate of value of the thing you made isn't “what I'd probably sell it for if I sold this,” it's “what my giftee would probably pay for it if they bought it from anyone else.” For example, it takes a huge amount of time to knit a pair of socks; but socks are still only worth a couple dollars to most people, even if you sell your handmade socks for $25. If your giftee asked for a Dice Pouch, it's likely they're thinking of a typical dice pouch which usually costs like ten bucks. So if you make one yourself, maybe you better fill it with some cool dice as well? Use your best judgment and run your plans past me if you have any doubt.

Who knows how many months it took to carefully construct these traditional gaming pieces?

Regarding ebooks and Print-On-Demand services. PDFs and eBook versions of gaming products are very hit-or-miss, and so are POD services. Some of us love them, some of us hate them. I'd like you to please be certain that your giftee loves them before you send one. Check their post and if they don't mention it, contact me and I can confirm with them whether an ebook or printed-on-demand book is a wonderful or horrible thing. We need to confirm your e-delivery was e-delivered promptly because your Santee probably isn't expecting it. DTRPG has hosed up someone's order more than once, for example, so seriously: DTRPG and other e-delivered gifts require special attention and handling.

6. Send a gift to your Santee in a timely manner
Every shipping company is heavily impacted by the holiday shopping season. Volumes rise every day as you get closer to Christmas day. The sooner you get something shipped, the less likely it is to be delayed. Retailers may also run out of stock. If you procrastinate and delay, you are still on the hook for on-time delivery, and that may mean having to select a more expensive shipping option. It's OK to take a few days or even a couple weeks if you need it to get your awesome present together, but keep your eye on the calendar and don't screw yourself over by waiting too long! I mean it. EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL I have a handful of goons who wait till the last day or so and then complain about the cost, or – worse – simply decide they can't afford expedited shipping and their Santee doesn't get their gift until after Christmas. That is not OK. If you can't afford like $100 for overnight shipping, then please don't procrastinate!

If you purchase a gift online, please confirm with the retailer that the item is actually in stock. Check and make sure it's shipped, not just “ordered.” Get a tracking number and check it every day. You can send me your tracking number if you want, but it's up to you to monitor it and see that your gift got delivered. I can't monitor 100+ tracking numbers. Let me know right away if there's a problem or delay.

If a gift receipt is an option, please get one. I know it's not always available, but it's best to make sure that if your Santee already has one of what you got him or her, he can return the new thing and/or exchange it for something else that is great. This isn't a rule, just a preference.

POST INDICATING YOUR PRESENT HAS BEEN MAILED BY NO LATER THAN Friday, DECEMBER 15th, 2017. Your gift has to be delivered by Tuesday, December 19th. To help meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 15th. Keep in mind that four days for delivery is quite unlikely unless you paid a lot for three-day express delivery, so the 15th is a drop-dead date, not a good target date.
If you have some genuine excuse like “I am trapped in a blizzard” or “my house burned down and I can't afford a stamp” or “the vendor promised to mail it but I have discovered they were filthy liars,” that's OK, come post about it in the thread or send me an e-mail or ask your Red Cross coordinator at the disaster relief shelter to send me an e-mail. In this modern world there are very few legit excuses for being unable to communicate for several weeks. And you can avoid this altogether by just shipping a gift within a few days of getting your Santee assignment.
Military goons: if you might possibly be deployed, you should let me know in advance, and also maybe ask a friend or family member in advance to arrange to ship something if you haven't done so in time, and to at least email me when your gift arrives. Being deployed is not an acceptable excuse for failing to get a gift to your Santee or going AWOL on communications from me. If you can't deal with this amount of contingency planning, you should not participate.
Overseas shippers: if you are shipping something overseas, realistically you should give it at least two weeks for shipping. Stuff can randomly get stuck in customs for a long time!

If your only excuse is “I am lazy and didn't get around to it” then you are an rear end in a top hat who should never have signed up.

7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift
You can open it right away or you can wait till your preferred present-opening moment and open it then. Regardless, you need to post in the thread as soon as your gift has arrived. If you get a box and you're not sure if it's your Secret Santa gift, then you need to open it and find out.
This way your anxious Santa knows you got your present, and I can register that they have fulfilled their duty by putting a symbol into a box on a spreadsheet, which I loving love doing, you don't even know. Please don't blow this off. Every year a few people dutifully send their gifts, and then disappear from the thread, and we are left with no easy way to confirm that they also received what they were supposed to. That's not being a Grinch, but it is a source of anxiety for your Santa and for me and that's not very nice.

8. Post what you got!
Whenever you get around to opening your gift, please let us know what you got. Photos are the best but even if you don't have a camera (and seriously who doesn't have a camera these days?) at least describe what you got. You should also say thank you and describe your joy. Half the fun of giving a gift is experiencing your Santee's pleasure. THIS IS AN ACTUAL RULE, NOT JUST A SUGGESTION. Saying “thank you” is the socially expected response to a gift, OK?. Some participants never bother and that's rude.

9. If you got a lovely gift, or didn't get a gift, send me an email immediately.
Email me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com if you get something lousy. That doesn't just mean you got a nice approximately $30 thing that you didn't especially want: unless you specifically said “I don't want RPGs” you can't really complain that you got an RPG. But, you do need to let me know if your Santa has not lived up to the spirit and intent of the rules, OR – and this has actually happened – if your Santa was victimized by a shady retailer who has ripped both you and your Santa off.

Maybe you don't know what this thing is, but that doesn't mean it's a lovely gift! It seems really quite nice, actually.

OK but seriously this is lovely, though, nobody wants this

10. Please stick around in the thread until a week or two into January, or until I close the thread, whichever comes first
There are always last-minute hiccups and if someone gets Grinched, I'll be asking for volunteer de-grinchers. This is likely to happen in January, if it happens. Even if you don't want to be a de-Grincher, you can still participate in the tarring and feathering, and that's not something to miss out on. Plus people sometimes get stuff a little late, like when they go back home from their holiday travel or whatever, and it sucks when they have nobody to share their fun with when they open their gift.

TGSS Mailing List
Would you like to receive a reminder of TG Secret Santa next year? Send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and ask to be added to the official TGSS Mailing List. I will use this list to send out a heads-up each year when I post the new TGSS thread. I won't sell or share the list with anyone, and I will use BCC: so you won't be sharing your email address with the other goons on the list, either. Of course you can also remove yourself from the list at any time, just send me a request and I'll take you off.

Disclaimers
This is the fine print. Nobody told me to put it here, but I'm anal about these kinds of things.

Participation in this event is voluntary. I am not affiliated or associated with Something Awful LLC, Rich “Lowtax” Kyanka, or any of its affiliates, sponsors, advertisers, subsidiaries, associates, officers, enlisted men, serfs, or holdings (hereafter referred to collectively as SomethingAwful). This event is in no way endorsed or supported by any of the above. If you get ripped off by another goon, neither SomethingAwful, nor I, can promise you relief. Nobody's insurance is covering this. Any supportive or punitive action taken by SomethingAwful or its moderators or administrators, including stickying threads and punishing bad goons, is purely voluntary and ad-hoc and is not a promise or representation that SomethingAwful is actually responsible or required to take such action, nor a promise or representation that it will act in a similar manner in the future, present, or past.

I promise to take reasonable and prudent steps to keep your personal information confidential. It is secured by the use of a reasonably obscure password on the tgsecretsanta@gmail.com gmail account. I also copy some of your personal information, including your real name and email address, to my Spreadsheet of Cheer which is stored on a reasonably secure computer behind a firewall. However, participation requires that I send your personal information to another person, and I cannot ensure that that person will do the right thing and keep your info private. Obviously anyone who shares or abuses your private information is an rear end in a top hat and if I find out he or she did that and can confirm it then he or she goes right on the poo poo list immediately and forever, and I will also tell on them. But you must agree not hold me or SomethingAwful financially, legally, ethically, or spiritually responsible if that happens. It'll be between you and the rear end in a top hat, basically. Participating means you agree to these rules.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reserving second post

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yesss!!

I, the Humbuggiest of Scoolbuses am in it again!

Gift Preferences I are a grog and a collector of old and weird RPGs. Anything pre-1995 is a good bet. Goons Aldantefax and mllaneza know me in real life and can assist as well.

Location Location Location The wilds of Berkeley California.

I make the solemnest of vows that if I grinch I will be forced to play FIASCO until the end of time

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 9, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi my name is Leperflesh and this year I have been a good goon.

Gift Preferences
Lately I've been doing just boardgaming, not much RPGs. Here's my collection on boardgamegeek, it's pretty much up to date. I don't like animes. I like books, both printed books and for Kindle Fire. I have numerous cats. I do paint miniatures, but I have thousands of unpainted miniatures and I've been painting about two a year, so that's probably enough. I've been doing papercraft a bit: I got the Stonehaven pop-up terrain stuff from their kickstarter and I've been building those. I have glue and rulers and craft knives, but specialty papercrafting stuff or nerdy papercrafting kits would be fun. I also do fantasy football, camping, computer games (here's my Steam profile), comic books (prefer graphic novel formats), metalworking, and I'm getting into carpentry and woodcrafting lately.

If you need more to go on, check with goon Aldantefax: he knows me IRL and might could give suggestions.

Solemn Vow
I swear and affirm I will grinch no goon.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gently caress Edit=/=quote

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Hi I'm vlad3217 and I'm excited to secret Santa for the first time.

Gift Preferences
Here's my bgg profile

In general I tend towards cooperative games at home (my wife's preference) and social deduction games with friends. I'm fine with something that falls into either category that I don't own or haven't rated to spice things up. I'll also maybe add some other possibilities to my wishlist on there? Other main consideration is space, my apartment is pretty small, so smaller packaging is better.

Other than board games I read sci fi and fantasy books, but I have pretty good access to e books from the library. I don't know I'm new at this v:shobon:v

Solemn Vow
I promise I ain't no Grinch.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dear Santa and assorted goons,

For the fourth year in a row, I have somehow managed to be good average tolerable not a total shitlord. That means internet strangers get to buy me stuff, right?

Gift Preferences
I like RPGs, the weirder and more obscure the better. To give you an idea of what I think is weird & obscure, I still have my copy of Everway, and previous Santas have included Nexus: The Infinite City, Ninja Burger, and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. PDF and Print-on-Demand are both absolutely fine; I've had no problems with either. If you've published a your own games or have a friend who makes weird small-press games, brilliant!

I'm getting back into playing board games. Things I like include Ascension, Star Realms, Netrunner, Among the Stars, and Superhot. I don't really have any board games beyond that, so I'm good with pretty much anything. Scifi stuff in general is also good. Art books as well; the Deus Ex and Mass Effect art books have provided a shitload of inspiration for me over the past few months. I'm also a big Transformers and Gundam nerd, and build anime robots (gunpla etc). I'll go for general nerd kitsch stuff, but my place is tiny and I don't have much free space.

I don't play wargames or use miniatures, I worked for White Wolf/Onyx Path so have everything I want from them, and I'm outright allergic to anything D&D/D20 related.

Solemn Vow
I ain't hosed up yet, if I do this year may the Formless Ones have mercy on my soul because I know Santa sure won't.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's been... some years! And I'm back for more.

Gift Preferences: The big thing to remember when gifting for me is that I have basically zero space in my flat, so go for something digital, something small, or something so cool and unique I'll find room for it. Oh, and food and booze work too because their presence in my life is temporary.

The second thing to bear in mind is that I've been gaming for almost thirty years at this point so I've seen everything mainstream going and most of the near-mainstream stuff too. I'm looking for the weird, the underground, and the things nobody else has heard of. This also goes for food and drink. I've eaten baked tarantula (it was good!) and drunk straight Campari (it was awful!) so hit me with your outlandish foodstuffs.

Since I know this can make me difficult to buy for you can also consult my Steam, DrivethruRPG, and/or Amazon wishlists.

General Location: Oxford, UK

Solemn Vow: I swear to provide giftmas cheer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Signup confirmations are out for our first five participants!

We've been stickied (thanks Ettin), and please feel free to cross-promote in other TG threads, but don't spam the poo poo out of threads, just one link to this one and a mention of what TGSS is, is sufficient.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Dear Santa Goon,

I have been a good goon this year and would like to get and give a gift. I haven't done a SS since I got grinched hard in YOSPOS years ago.

Gift Preference

I only got back into trad games around X-Mas last year and have become a slave to FFG games. In less than a year I have almost everything from X-Wing almost all of the Imperial ships from Armada and have already given my soul and money to the upcoming Star Wars: Legion. So yeah anything FFG that is star wars floats my boat. I am not interested in CCGs since they are a tool of the devil. I honestly don't know what to ask for. The only thing from X-Wing that I want is the good cards from the Imp Raider and the Interdictor from Armada, but that is too expensive for anyone to buy.

Honestly, anything cool or nifty would cover me .alt art cards, weird things or anything you think would be cool or funny. If you are hard pressed for something my teenage daughter loves games like cards against humanity. Oh and since I will be learning to paint miniatures when Legion comes out anything to do with that would be cool.

Solem Vow
I solemnly swear not to grinch because my dice need all the good karma they can get.

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 10, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Deinitely in but will sign up proper like tomorrow when it's not midnight.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gift Preferences
I've been meaning to fill out my The One Ring RPG collection—currently I only have the corebook, Adventurers Companion, and Journeys & Maps. I've probably got most of the other books I would want, but you never know! The weirder and more obscure, the slightly greater chance I don't already have it and would find it interesting. I also like books that are not games. I Iove really bad/weird movies, everything from Incredible Bulk to Southland Tales. Since he seems to be the new hotness in weird-bad movies: No thank you, I already saw all the Neil Breen movies. I also already own Samurai Cop. I also like really, really good movies, but there are so very few of those. I've got cats! Neither of them care all that much about catnip, tho.

Please do not buy me anything from Games Workshop, Green Ronin, nuWhite Wolf, or anything from the Beast lineup from Onyx Path, not even as a joke.

I hope you enjoyed reading my obtuse wishlist as much as I didn't enjoy writing it.

General Location
Brownback's rear end in a top hat Fiefdom of AmerikkkaKansas, USA :911:

Solemn Vow
I promise never to do anything bad, ever, in the past, present or future.I vow not to Grinch, at least.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Yay, Santa time! Last year I was lacking all the key components of Christmas spirit (space, money, joy) so did not participate but this year is better!

Treasure Type: I like monster manuals more than most anything, the weirder the better. I already have several, but not the 5E one (if that can be found for $30) or any of the OSR ones that aren't tremendously offensive. I have basic D&D, Borges, and Barlowe covered. Real-life animal books are cool too, I love nature photography. Or cool painted pictures of what we think dinosaurs looked like. All that stuff is good.

History books are also cool. Like, almost literally the history of any drat thing, preferably recent or still-respected works, don't mind academic stuff if that's what you've got. Especially Colonial-era India and the Near East. Military history is okay if it is not too focused on technical details, like, I do not care how many kinds of T-34 there are.

I could also use nMage supplements--I have the Grimroire of Grimroires but other supplements would be cool. I know there are differences between 1E and 2E but 1E lore is still generally good. I prefer print if that's possible but I understand the wearying nature of Amazon sellers and risks of POD.

Lastly I sculpt stuff (mostly pokemon) out of polymer clay so Sculpey and Fimo (colored kinds) are welcome, and I could use a new roller, I somehow lost mine.

I have enough video games, and I do not prefer animes or miniatures.

Lair:

Outside of Austin, TX

Special Attack:

I solemnly swear that I will take 10d6 damage with no save if I grinch.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 10, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh cool, here we go

Gift Preference
I think most people around here know me as a super groggy wargamer, and that's the case! Anything Napoleon, or World War I, and really anything wargamey that's WW1 or earlier is cool. Not miniatures though, that's not really my bag. Just cardboard board games.

Solem Vow
I solemnly swear not to grinch because my dice need all the good karma they can get.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spammed a few threads, and I've caught up with all signups!

Seems a bit slow so far this year, I hope we get everyone piling in over the next week.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I spammed a few threads, and I've caught up with all signups!

Seems a bit slow so far this year, I hope we get everyone piling in over the next week.

I've had a touch of the ol' financial difficulties these last couple of weeks and I've been waiting to see how things shake out before I sign up this year, that and honestly I just can't think of anything I want for Christmas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kai Tave posted:

I've had a touch of the ol' financial difficulties these last couple of weeks and I've been waiting to see how things shake out before I sign up this year, that and honestly I just can't think of anything I want for Christmas.

Same, except since I lost my job in August. Hoping things change in time for a lightning round.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

For sure, make sure you can well afford things.

As for the second problem, one cool aspect of secret santa is that you don't have to think of something you want for christmas! You can just receive a surprise. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Gift preferences: x-wing stuff, mostly Imperial and Scum, painting and modelling stuff generally - I'm getting into scratchbuilding and airbrushing, and I like building cosplay of board game stuff, I'm looking for more games like Dixit, Codenames Pictures or Duo (I own the original already), The Big Idea and suchlike things, I'm also looking for Scythe: The Wind Gambit and Euphoria but I'm not sure if the former is out yet and the latter still in print.

No perishables, no dongs

Solemn vow: I've done this for two years I ain't gonna gently caress it up y'all.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I think I skipped the last year or two, but I'm in for sure this time!

Gift Preferences: I'm big into boardgames and I run RPGs from time to time (FFG SW and one-shots of smaller games). I have a small X-Wing collection that I don't really use at all because nobody in my area plays (FLGS is too far without a car). I don't do any minis gaming, though I am excited for Legion, but that's not coming out til 2018. I could always use more games but I am pretty picky - I don't like social games unless there's a strong deception element (BSG is literally my favorite game), so games like Codenames, despite being critically acclaimed, aren't for me. Well-regarded Euros are a safe bet, but Ameritrash is fine too (super stoked for Twilight Imperium 4E!).

Please no dongs, DVDs or GW products

Solemn Vow: I do solemnly swear and affirm that I, Clanpot Shake, am not nor have I ever been a member of the Grinching Party

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't decided about participating this year yet but I want to know what this is! It's pretty!

quote:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I haven't decided about participating this year yet but I want to know what this is! It's pretty!

I found it in a google image search for "traditional games," looks like the site it's on is this games blog: http://www.analoggames.com/story/redesign-of-a-traditional-vietnamese-game/
The website describes the game, but their attached webstore only sells t-shirts, and the link for the game designer is dead. So, I have no idea if it's possible to buy it anywhere.

e. It is apparently this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%E1%BA%A7u_cua_c%C3%A1_c%E1%BB%8Dp
Which is a very simple betting game with, as far as I can tell, a significant house edge, e.g. a bad game on the level of roulette.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 11, 2017

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Super pumped for this!

Gift Preferences
I enjoy the hobby aspect of miniatures and the games that can be played with them. I've become a fan of skirmish games (because I found that I don't really enjoy painting 200 of the exact same guys), such as Osprey and Mantic games. Books for the rules or miniatures for painting and playing would be great, as well as painting accessories or terrain.

I'd prefer no anime, no GW, or fan service type miniatures, and no dongs, but anything else you think is cool would be welcomed. I currently have Mantic's Kings of War Historical and Deadzone starter, and Osprey's Broken Legions and Frostgrave. I enjoy historical, fantasy, and sci-fi themes in the games/miniatures. And even though I have no reason or need for one, I've been jonesing for a sweet, sweet KV-2 tank model. Since last year, I've also dipped my toes into X-Wing, and I don't have much so I'm not picky if you'd like get something related to that.

Besides that, my hobbies are blacksmithing and night school, so if you really wanted to get me a hammer or tongs or something, I wouldn't complain.

Solemn Vow
I have yet to grinch and I'm not about to start now.

Cotton Candidasis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 11, 2017

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Which is a very simple betting game with, as far as I can tell, a significant house edge, e.g. a bad game on the level of roulette.

I am disappointed, but then again I am usually fooled by pretty components.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Gift Preferences
I've just got back into the hobby after a break for a few years. I'm currently painting space marines and USA team yankee. Please send don't send me dongs.

Solemn Vow
I'm not going to grinch.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'll post properly after work, always excited for Christmas!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Never done one of these before! I'm in.

Gift Preferences: Hmmm I love wargames (not minis) and gaming paraphernalia. Silly dice towers, draw cups, little tiny sets of bowls for chits. Books about wargames. I also like surprises so feel free to ignore all that!

Solemn vow: I do solemny vow not to grinch out on my Santee. I couldn't handle that sort of bad gaming karma I suck enough as it is!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In for the second year

Gift Preferences Board games generally always happy to get a good expansion to games I already own, as far as new games I'm fairly picky and have more then enough friends with simpler games so generally something unique or one though to be good in the board game thread will go down well. I have been trying to get member of my board game group to play fiasco but so far it hasn't worked but I'd still like to get back into roleplaying. I'll prefer physical stuff rather than digital. And of course no/minimal dongs

link to bgg collection

Vow I hereby swear never to Grinch.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 18, 2017

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
In for the third year

Gift Preferences My game Du Jour is Team Yankee, where i've taken up the West German faction. 15mm wargames in a second world war and modern setting is something i spend quite a lot of time on, Currently i'm hunting for the more special stuff like logistics vehicles, battlefield support like bridge layers and whatnot, preferably for the west germans but anything NATO is cool.

The only West german stuff i don't need more of are Leopard 2s, PAH helis and LARS launchers.

Vow I hereby swear never to Grinch. Unless you're a russian coming through the fulda gap, then you're doomed!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I absolutely love TGSS and I missed last year, so I've got to get in on this one!

Gift Preferences:
A few Mantic things I’ve never gotten around to picking up:
Kings of War – Edge of the Abyss Campaign Book
Dungeon Saga – Eye of the Abyss
Dungeon Saga – Heroes of Kickstarter
Dungeon Saga – The Black Fortress
Walking Dead All Out War – Ezekiel
Walking Dead All Out War – Glenn, Prison Guard
Walking Dead All Out War – Maggie, Prison Defender
Deadzone – Nexus Psi Expansion

Playing Cards – I collect interesting playing cards, check out my Kickstarter profile (https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1346110791) for some examples, I’m not looking for just standard decks of cards or licensed decks, but interesting or stylish decks

LotFP core book in print

Other things that you think I might enjoy (see the previously-mentioned Kickstarter profile). Looking it over myself, I think my taste runs to artistic or stylish things, if you know of something unique in trad games or related, I might really like it.

I don't like pdfs, in general.

General Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Earth

Solemn Vow: I will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when I get my present and tell you all what I got and who sent it to me.

thegodofchuck fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 15, 2017

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
This is my favourite thing about Christmas now

GIFT PREFERENCES
I like miniatures and model kits! Anything characterful or oddball is right up my alley ahem down my chimney.

however I haven't bought a boardgame in a while so anything new and cool that had been released in the YOOL 2017 (aka this years hottest poo poo) is cool to.

Where on earth is Carmen Sandiego? Wellington, New Zealand.

Solemn Vow I will not Grinch; if I do let my firstborn be eaten by Taika Waititi

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Aw, dip, I made it this year! I've missed the past few years because my job has me on the road very regularly. Looking forward to it!

Preferences
I live in a small, overcrowded studio apartment, so larger items like board games and such can be a bit problematic.
Quirky things, unique/cool dice, obscure sourcebooks, and other lesser-known/obtuse things are a good way to go! Likewise, things I can travel with/get through TSA easily are also ideal.
Cyberpunk, robits, science fantasy, etc are all fun themes, but honestly, creativity is king!

Solemn Vow
Not only will I not grinch, but I will actively degrinch if necessary! :toxx:

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I'm in for a second year and this time I will be shipping from The States!

Gift Preferences:

I mostly have the opportunity to play games with my wife, so interesting 2 player games are always appreciated. I received some cool and unexpected ones last year. 3+ player games are also welcome

I'm also interested in unusual/useful/clever gaming supplements (weird dice, folding dry erase maps, clever storage trays, whatever.)

I also occasionally pick up off the wall corny terrible so-bad-its-good old games for browsing through. Last year's TG Gift exchange inspired this purchase:

Games I've been wanting off the top of my head: Codenames (regular version for more players), Codenames Duet, Star Wars Armada, Magic Maze, Excape From Aliens in Outer Space, One Night Ultimate Werewolf...

Nothing already on my Boardgamegeek Profile please. Please no digital download products.

General Location: Texas, USA

Solemn Vow: I will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when I get my present and tell you all what I got and who sent it to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Email confirmations are out for everyone except Bruxism, who I haven't gotten an email from just yet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Email confirmations are out for everyone except Bruxism, who I haven't gotten an email from just yet.

Yup. Got my email 🎅

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Leperflesh posted:

Sent! Sorry for the delay.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My favorite part of Christmas! Though regrettably I'll have to dial this down to just one gift this year and hope my late October salary comes in time for the ligthning round! gently caress that noise, it's double gifting time again!

Gift Preferences
- I'm an avid boardgamer and wargamer (of the carboard, rather than miniatures kind). This is a fairly recent record of my collection, I think it's only missing Stockpile and Voyages of Marco Polo? That is assuming my copy of Gloomhaven ever arrives.
- Of the above, Tash-Kalar, Space Alert and (less pressing) Stockpile and Marco Polo regrettably lack expansions.
- The binders are my LCG stash! I used to collect the Star Wars LCG up until Galactic Ambitions, around which my local scene died. I currently collect the Arkham Horrow, and while I'm up to date with cards (both regular and the print on demand scenarios), I don't have anything neat to pimp it out.
- I GM a few RPG campaigns when I can find some time. My tolerance for crunch went way down in the past few years, though.
- I like to eat and drink like a loving pig. Weird exotic delicacies are always welcome!
- I'm finally getting around to hanging the awesome Russian Civil War posters I got from a kind goon two years ago in my new flat - it's my favorite period, but really, I'll eat most grog poo poo up.
- I'd usually ask for no anime, but JoJo doesn't count and Rohan Kishibe is my dream husbando.

General Location
Warsaw, Poland

Solemn Vow
Grinches get stitches.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Second time through, though I missed out on participating...last year? I hope I can be a good Santa again :ohdear:

Gift preferences:

I'm a big minis gamer, though my list of interested minis is a bit short. I play Warmahordes, Infinity, Malifaux, and have a small selection of KoW.

Minis options!

-Warmachine, Mercs!: Horgenhold Artillery Corps!
-Hordes, Minions!: Any and all gator options! I have pigs and some generic minions already, but am interested in gators! May be getting the Blindwater Cartel themeforce box that's coming out in January if that informs your purchasing decisions. Leaning towards gator warlocks and gator warbeasts first since I can play with pig infantry and generic solos if need be in the catch-all theme force.

Other mini-related options!

-Basing stuff! This can be bits, texture paints, or bases (rounded lip for WMH/Malifaux, beveled for Infinity). Malifaux and to a lesser extent WMH can take steampunk stuff, and I like run-down city/city warzone type stuff for that. Infinity will be good with "hard-ish" sci-fi stuff, though I do use desert-themed bases for my HaqqIslam stuff.
-Terrain! I like 3d stuff, and either Malifaux or Infinity will do nicely for theme.

W-w-WILDCARD!

-Have Dark Heresy RPG books lying around that you'll never use? I'm interested in any books other than the core Dark Heresy and core Deathwatch books, except for the campaign/adventure-type books.
-Anything I don't have to actively cage after opening the box!

No anime, dongs, or anime dongs. Please don't give money to Games Workshop even if people allege they are turning around.

General location: Kansas City, Kansas.

Solemn vow: Should I Grinch my Santee, may my balls be bitten off by a reindeer.

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 13, 2017

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember how many of these I've been in but hell yeah I'm in for another!

Gift Preferences

I have a large board game collection so I point to my CSI wishlist for a guaranteed list of things I don't have: wishlist. QOL accessories for Gloomhaven would be great as well.

I play multiple Tabletop RPG's and any accessories for either general play or 5E Dnd would be appreciated.

Anything home made or regional (like spices or local snacks) would be great!

No Games Workshop, minis, or wargaming stuff please.

General Location
California, US

Solemn Vow
I will never be a grinch lest I be forced to a never-ending game of Munchkin.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hey TGSS, it's mistaya again. I've been waiting all month/year for you! :swoon:

Gift Preferences I'd really like some kind of board game that can be played by 2-5 people and is relatively simple to explain. Preferably something I can play in under two hours. My local game shop hosts a game night every week so I end up playing with people I don't know very well (yet, since I just started going) and I want something I can bring and get people in on.

This is my tiny little games shelf, which mostly comes from TGSS:

Things that sound good: Anything that's not on that shelf! I like modern/urban fantasy and spooky stuff and high fantasy. This year I want to be surprised. :D (One request, no Cards Against Humanity, because I own too many already and they're the one thing not in the picture.)

Location: Alas, I have left the desert behind me, and now reside in North Carolina, which thinks it's the South, but is it really?

Solemn Vow: Neither rain nor sleet nor dark of night shall stop my packages from flight. Neither dongs nor warhams nor ugly socks shall stop me from posting my cat with the box.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 21, 2017

• Locked thread