Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Basically it seems like its going to cause fragmentation. I'm not going to buy loot crates, and so I'm definitely not spreading out the credits I earn over three different game modes instead of focusing on whichever one I like the most. And with the credit gains so abysmally low I can't imagine it ever really being worth it to grind out the hero unlocks versus crates.

I'm stuck with my order so I'm going to wring what I can out of it, but somehow it seems the system looks even worse than it did during the previous beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
gently caress it signed up for ea access. Need my fix. Plus I get a discount for preordering which I was gonna do anyways and the discount covers the cost of access which I’ll cancel next week so it’s all a wash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chomp8645 posted:

Umm... not in a movie or anything I'm pretty sure.

If you are referencing some comic or something then lol.

In Battlefront 2, you can play as Boba Fett on one level where he helps the Empire put down a Clone rebellion on Kamino, thereby leading to the introduction of recruits and various other clones beyond the Fett template to avoid corruption in the ranks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

you can play as Boba Fett on one level where he helps the Empire put down a Clone rebellion on Kamino

:eyepop:

The first Battlefront 2???

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Also there was definitely an episode of Clone Wars where teen Boba Fett snuck onto a Star Destroyer with the clone cadets and blew it up to try and kill Mace Windu.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

moosecow333 posted:

I also wonder if Anakin will be a hero down the line. It would be kind of weird to have him and Darth Vader fighting each other.

Anakin has always been at war with Darth Vader.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

:eyepop:

The first Battlefront 2???

Yes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Basically it seems like its going to cause fragmentation. I'm not going to buy loot crates, and so I'm definitely not spreading out the credits I earn over three different game modes instead of focusing on whichever one I like the most. And with the credit gains so abysmally low I can't imagine it ever really being worth it to grind out the hero unlocks versus crates.

I'm stuck with my order so I'm going to wring what I can out of it, but somehow it seems the system looks even worse than it did during the previous beta.

I played 7 hours of the trial including the single player bit so maybe 5 hours of actual game. I'd say I've made 20000 credits so far because the game throws them at you for doing challenges and you'll get those by accident.

I've spent every penny on crates though.

I dunno, I think after the equivalent of getting to level 50 in cod you'll be an appropriately decked out murder man and it's not actually gamebreaking in practise. At the same time I'll be running around shooting things and think about the system and then feel glum.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The game keeps throwing star cards at me for the Rey and Chewie falcon, which I don't have unlocked. Meanwhile haven't gotten a single bomber or regular starfighter upgrade.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

I played 7 hours of the trial including the single player bit so maybe 5 hours of actual game. I'd say I've made 20000 credits so far because the game throws them at you for doing challenges and you'll get those by accident.

I've spent every penny on crates though.

I dunno, I think after the equivalent of getting to level 50 in cod you'll be an appropriately decked out murder man and it's not actually gamebreaking in practise. At the same time I'll be running around shooting things and think about the system and then feel glum.

The number I've heard is that challenges are one time and you can expect about 50,000 credits before they dry up, with daily challenges awarding 25 credits or something similarly small. If thats not accurate I'd be really relieved!!! Please correct me!!! (Because I want to unlock Finn)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's probably accurate but there will be a steady stream of new challenges as part of the season events.

Pops Mgee posted:

The game keeps throwing star cards at me for the Rey and Chewie falcon, which I don't have unlocked. Meanwhile haven't gotten a single bomber or regular starfighter upgrade.

Buy starfighter packs

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Instead of talking poo poo about how bad I perceived the crates to be I spent $5 on access and gave it a shot.

Here are some key points

1. All the points you get are front loaded. Meaning, in the beginning, you are going to get a ton of them by knocking out the one-time achievements. After you get through the easy to med ones progress is going grind to a snails pace. This is standard in any F2P game out there.

2. If you want to avoid spending real money on crates for cards then obviously you want to craft them with the piles of parts you get from loot boxes and card repeats (which there is wayyyyy too many of). Well... you're hosed. Dice's "fix" for the boxes was to put a level restriction on crafting cards. Not equipping cards. So someone who buys a ton of crates and gets a high level card can equip it right away. You... you dirty poor have to grind up player levels to be allowed to craft. Oh and also card levels , but we will get to that soon. That guy that dropped $100 bucks can equip cards at lvl 1 you can't craft till 30+. That seems to be the fix. It actually makes it worse for people who don't pay cash for loot crates

3. Now for the real kick in the balls. Class level. You would think this would be based on something like doing stuff while playing your class. Well if you think that then Dice thinks you are retarded. Your class level is based on how many cards you have unlocked for that specific class or ship. You could play a class or ship for days on end and it will not level at all. The only thing that will level it is having cards for that class/ship unlocked. You start out being able to equip one card but to equip a second/third card you need a higher class level which means you need high-level cards unlocked, not equipped, just unlocked. The same thing goes for crafting high-level cards. If your class/card level is too low you can't even make the cards. Can you see where the trap is? Now imagine having to do that for every single class, ship and hero.

So what it boils down to is that someone who blows money at the start to buy crates will be able to equip any card they get and put in their 3 unlocked card slots while you only get to use one card and can't even upgrade it due to player level/card/class level. Also since they have all these cards from buying crates they will have a higher class/card level from the start and be able to craft whatever they want.

I would balk at this poo poo if it were a F2P game let alone a full price game. The crate system and class/card level system is purposely confusing to get player to just say gently caress it and spend cash. I will be shocked if this game isn't a ghost town with just a few whales still playing in January. I honestly could not even begin fathom how long it would take to unlock 50% of the stuff. It's just that bad.

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 11, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm interested to see where a player is at the point they would hit level 50 in a cod game. I expect to at least have a good hand but... ugh

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The more I read about this game, the less I want it. I don't think I'mma get it for my birthday now.

gently caress predatory loot crate tactics and gently caress :dice: and EA.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Raged posted:

Instead of talking poo poo about how bad I perceived the crates to be I spent $5 on access and gave it a shot.

Here are some key points

1. All the points you get are front loaded. Meaning, in the beginning, you are going to get a ton of them by knocking out the one-time achievements. After you get through the easy to med ones progress is going grind to a snails pace. This is standard in any F2P game out there.

2. If you want to avoid spending real money on crates for cards then obviously you want to craft them with the piles of parts you get from loot boxes and card repeats (which there is wayyyyy too many of). Well... you're hosed. Dice's "fix" for the boxes was to put a level restriction on crafting cards. Not equipping cards. So someone who buys a ton of crates and gets a high level card can equip it right away. You... you dirty poor have to grind up player levels to be allowed to craft. Oh and also card levels , but we will get to that soon. That guy that dropped $100 bucks can equip cards at lvl 1 you can't craft till 30+. That seems to be the fix. It actually makes it worse for people who don't pay cash for loot crates

3. Now for the real kick in the balls. Class level. You would think this would be based on something like doing stuff while playing your class. Well if you think that then Dice thinks you are retarded. Your class level is based on how many cards you have unlocked for that specific class or ship. You could play a class or ship for days on end and it will not level at all. The only thing that will level it is having cards for that class/ship unlocked. You start out being able to equip one card but to equip a second/third card you need a higher class level which means you need high-level cards unlocked, not equipped, just unlocked. The same thing goes for crafting high-level cards. If your class/card level is too low you can't even make the cards. Can you see where the trap is? Now imagine having to do that for every single class, ship and hero.

So what it boils down to is that someone who blows money at the start to buy crates will be able to equip any card they get and put in their 3 unlocked card slots while you only get to use one card and can't even upgrade it due to player level/card/class level. Also since they have all these cards from buying crates they will have a higher class/card level from the start and be able to craft whatever they want.

I would balk at this poo poo if it were a F2P game let alone a full price game. The crate system and class/card level system is purposely confusing to get player to just say gently caress it and spend cash. I will be shocked if this game isn't a ghost town with just a few whales still playing in January. I honestly could not even begin fathom how long it would take to unlock 50% of the stuff. It's just that bad.

If this game were themed around any other IP than Star Wars, I probably wouldn’t buy this game. But it is and I will.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I really enjoyed the first (read:third) game, but after a month or so it started taking up to 30 minutes to find a game, and most of the less popular modes would just never actually have any open slots. I worry that this will happen again here, and I'll be out 60 bucks.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

It will take nearly 40 hours to unlock heroes unless you pay money

some reddit post posted:

Hello again! Since EA and DICE have decided to move SWBF2 to a "credits earned based on time played" rather than the old system of awarding you based on score earned in a match, I thought I would do an analysis of my time spent playing the Galactic Assault mode during the EA Access period. Please note that credits earned in challenges are not factored in to these numbers.
While I was playing, I started a timer as soon as the match started and the opening shot pans down to my character. I stopped the timer on the Victory or Defeat screen. This spreadsheet and subsequent stats are based on minutes of actual gameplay, no loading times or time spent fuddling around in menus is factored in because many people are playing on many different machines and platforms.
Here is the spreadsheet for those of you that want to dive right in to what I have so far.
Here are some interesting stats I have found from my Galactic Assault matches so far (keep in mind these are the statistics at the time of writing up this post. I will continue to enter my matches as I play them so the exact values may change a bit):
Average Galactic Assault Match Length: 11:09
In my opinion this needs to increase by at least a factor of two, maybe more.
Average Credits per Match: 275
Far too low, we will get into that in a moment.
Average Credits per Minute of Gameplay: 25.04
At first it sounds reasonable...
Gameplay Minutes Required to Earn a Trooper Crate (4000): 159.73
Almost 3 hours of gameplay required to earn a trooper crate at the current rate. I understand these values don't include what you earn in challenges, but I am mainly doing this to figure out what it's going to be like after the first week and I am done chasing the easy challenges and start playing the way I enjoy. 3 hours is far, far too much of a time requirement.
Gameplay Minutes Required to Unlock One Hero: 2,395.97
You read that correctly. At the current price of 60,000 credits it will take you 40 hours of gameplay time to earn the right to unlock one hero or villain. That means 40 hours of saving each and every credit, no buying any crates at all, so no bonus credits from getting duplicates in crates.
The spreadsheet also includes estimates for the amount of time it will take to earn uncommon and rare cards based on the Gamespot crate opening statistics, but the drop rates have not been tested enough for me to include them there. But I do think it's scary that it could potentially take someone over 20 hours of gameplay to earn enough Crafting Parts to make an Epic tier Star Card.
All I can say is that I hope these numbers are just for EA Access. If these are the final numbers for release DICE is going to have a hard time justifying this to the fanbase.
If you have any questions or if I messed up my math in the spreadsheet somewhere, please let me know. I will continue to add more and more match stats as I play tonight.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm not sure it'll even last a full month in the first place, honestly. A lot of this sounds like legit game killing poo poo.

Like seriously, their either expecting Monster addicted youths to spend dozens upon dozens out hours grinding for things with absolutely no constant sense of progression to make the grinding feel fun, or beg their parents to shell out hundreds of dollars to make them better at the box they use to not do their homework.

That or they really expect nostalgia fueled adults to spend all that money to get their fix when another brand new Star Wars movie is right around the corner.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Flytrap posted:

I'm not sure it'll even last a full month in the first place, honestly. A lot of this sounds like legit game killing poo poo.

No one is joking when they say that it is just as bad as any iOS F2P games when it comes to monetization. It's actually worse than some.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If this game were themed around any other IP than Star Wars, I probably wouldn’t buy this game. But it is and I will.

You are litterally a terrible person and consumer for promoting this poo poo. they put it in a Star Wars game first because of people like you who will always buy everything Star Wars.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

You are litterally a terrible person and consumer for promoting this poo poo. they put it in a Star Wars game first because of people like you who will always buy everything Star Wars.

Don't engage him. The Battlefront 3 thread was full of his "I'm a willful moron" shtick. Dude is gonna continue to eat Star Wars branded poo poo sandwiches and tell himself they're good no matter how rank they are.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The worst part is that the base gameplay is not too bad. That will go to poo poo with the whales.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Now I wish EA stuck with the season pass model. It's going to take a lot of willpower to not buy this game because I love the IP. If the crate system as observed makes it to launch holy hell that will be terrible and I can't support it if all these observations are true.

A question: does the game track K/D? I noticed in the beta it was conspicuously absent from the career page, nor the end of match scoreboard. They've been slowly making it less accessible; in Battlefield 1 you have to log in to a separate webpage to even see it - the in game career page doesn't track it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Now I wish EA stuck with the season pass model. It's going to take a lot of willpower to not buy this game because I love the IP. If the crate system as observed makes it to launch holy hell that will be terrible and I can't support it if all these observations are true.

A question: does the game track K/D? I noticed in the beta it was conspicuously absent from the career page, nor the end of match scoreboard. They've been slowly making it less accessible; in Battlefield 1 you have to log in to a separate webpage to even see it - the in game career page doesn't track it.

I don't think it is, they're trying to make it as casual as possible, which is also why you can't even squad up with friends.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I'll have been burned as bad since I bought Hellgate London at full price.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tythas posted:

It will take nearly 40 hours to unlock heroes unless you pay money

Why the hell are heroes even unlocks to begin with?
Can we just go back to them all being available and maybe be in a random pool for anyone to get a chance to play as them during a match?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't think I'll have been burned as bad since I bought Hellgate London at full price.

gently caress, dude.
I preordered the collector's edition and was a lifetime subscriber... and I dropped the game probably after a month of playing. :sigh:

It's impossible for me to ever get burned that badly again.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The best part is no matter how well you play you will earn the same amount of credits as the guy on your team you runs his ship into something every 5 seconds.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Other than challenges, but as mentioned those are limited. The prices really need to come down, holy poo poo

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I remember the bonuses were pretty good in the beta. Does anyone know what they're like now? If they're minor or situational or there's differences based on the opportunity cost of slotting different cards then I don't really care; I'm not going to be playing enough to be mad about poo poo.

That said, I never buy games at launch, so I guess I can wait to see how it all pans out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It is with a heavy heart that I have further edited the CRATES CRATES CRATES section of the OP. It now contains slightly dourer language and an immediate disclaimer that yes this poo poo sucks and nobody, even myself, will judge a person who passes on the game because of CrateGate.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Glass of Milk posted:

I remember the bonuses were pretty good in the beta. Does anyone know what they're like now? If they're minor or situational or there's differences based on the opportunity cost of slotting different cards then I don't really care; I'm not going to be playing enough to be mad about poo poo.

That said, I never buy games at launch, so I guess I can wait to see how it all pans out.

It's not minor but it's also not going to make you unkillable. The higher the uptime the lower the boost, it seems. So an always on boost will be low, an activatable like a grenade boost ability might be quite high.

Boosts for Call in characters seem high across the board

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ShineDog posted:

It's probably accurate but there will be a steady stream of new challenges as part of the season events.

Buy starfighter packs

Literally the only crates I've bought. I've gotten more cards for on foot classes from them than starfighter cards.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The way to grind in this game is in Starfighter Assault.

Since money earned to buy crates is based on score, and player kills don't count for as many points as ptfo, you should be killing turrets and cruisers instead of going for the fighters. I noticed this in the beta where I'd load into Fondor and immediately kill all the turrets giving me enough points to buy a hero ship faster than those ace pilots that swoop around killing everyone else. Then use the hero ship to kill objectives, wreck other players, and take out turrets faster. Use the credits to buy Starfighter Crates, those cards level your starfighters faster, and use the spare parts to unlock all the level 1 cards by crafting them for 40 sp each, also leveling your starfighter. the better your fighters the more points you can grind to buy Trooper Crates down the road.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JFC posted:

Since money earned to buy crates is based on score

:wrong:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
JFC your post was well thought out except for the part where the entire thing hinges on an incorrect assumption at the start. I am leaving a note about credit gain in the OP so future generations do not make this mistake.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Oh. Oops

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one then, but right now the two ways to play this game on PC are if you preordered it and have the 3-day head start or you can try the 10-hour "free" trial if you have EA Access, right? I have both preordered the game and have EA Access and I loaded the trial first which gates me at only the first 3 chapters of the campaign. How can I get out of the trial and just be playing using my preorder access? I tried uninstalling the trial and pre-loading the game but it still shows me as being on the trial.

Anyone else having this problem?

JFC fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 11, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JFC posted:

Oh. Oops

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one then, but right now the two ways to play this game on PC are if you preordered it and have the 3-day head start or you can try the 10-hour "free" trial if you have EA Access, right? I have both preordered the game and have EA Access and I loaded the trial first which gates me at only the first 3 chapters of the campaign. How can I get out of the trial and just be playing using my preorder access? I tried uninstalling the trial and pre-loading the game but it still shows me as being on the trial.

Anyone else having this problem?

Your information is correct but I think you have the wrong date in your head. We have no reached the early access period yet. Full release is 11/17. Deluxe Edition pre-order early access is 11/14. The 10-hour trial from EA access works right now, before even the early access slot. So there is no way to exit the trial at this time, and once your 10 hours are elapsed you will not be able to play any further until Tuesday, when early access begins.

Please note normal pre-orders do NOT get early access. Deluxe Editions only.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Raged posted:

The best part is no matter how well you play you will earn the same amount of credits as the guy on your team you runs his ship into something every 5 seconds.

No the best part is in one week post launch the thread will be full of complaints of idlers.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Chomp8645 posted:

Your information is correct but I think you have the wrong date in your head.

OK. As you can see I'm confused about a lot of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JFC posted:

OK. As you can see I'm confused about a lot of this.

It is very confusing, unironically. We have reached peak branding and peak monetization, forces more powerful than mortal gamers like you and I.