Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reagan was a reflection of America's desire to get out there and start lynching again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nixon was a pile of poo poo. He sabotaged Vietnam peace talks and oversaw secret bombings of Cambodia. He did everything he could to tear down the American government to claw at power.

The most hosed up thing about Nixon is all of his evil wasn't ideological, it was entirely selfish. Pretty much every other President acted in terms of how they could shape the Presidency along their ideology, everything Nixon did was for Nixon.

It's loving exactly like Trump. He still hasn't killed a million people on a lie, but man he sure as hell could.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Trump in 10 months has provided us with infinitely more comedy then 8 years of Bush and it’s not even close. I know that doesn’t make him better or worse than Bush but it’s definetly a positive in the Trump column.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ScrubLeague posted:

The most hosed up thing about Nixon is all of his evil wasn't ideological, it was entirely selfish. Pretty much every other President acted in terms of how they could shape the Presidency along their ideology, everything Nixon did was for Nixon.

It's loving exactly like Trump. He still hasn't killed a million people on a lie, but man he sure as hell could.

Yeah I remember telling my parents that Trump was like Nixon a while ago and it seems like a really apt comparison, especially after watching that Ken Burns Vietnam doc recently.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

get that OUT of my face posted:

yeah no argument there. reagan is when republicans went full-on moronic as a policy, though

people like to say his positions would be out of place in today's GOP, but the entire point of the reagan revolution was to be as far to the right as the contemporary political system allowed him to be, with more room for an even more rightward shift in the future (which is exactly what happened). ronnie would be a loyal trump supporter if he were alive and not demented today

the dementia would seal the deal imo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the stuff Trump has done with staffing departments with people who hate those departments, the anti-science poo poo, etc., those are all Bush strategies. I would argue strongly that Trump's election is a direct result of the Bush years (which are a result of the Reagan years, which are a result of Nixon. It all goes back to Nixon.)
trump's election is also a direct result of obama and clinton

but in the grand scheme it's not even bush or regan or obama or clinton or whatever that culminated in trump. all of this is a direct consequence of a fundamentally broken and anti-democratic economic system that puts the reins in the hands of a tiny few

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's not really about reagan or bush or nixon or obama or whoever being so terrible and turning the country toward a dark path. it's not about any particular congressional members or governor. you can't really fawn for some alternate history where only if X had won or some candidate you never heard of replaced reagan instead or whatever. it'd in the end be a similar group of assholes filtered through the same american political process that will produce another similar rear end in a top hat that would be just as terrible as bush or reagan or whoever.

american politicians in general are appointed with the approval of the wealthy and the business community in order to benefit themselves. why does our political process get corrupted so? because of a fundamentally undemocratic economic system where a tiny minority make all the important economic decisions. this anti-democratic system translates into inequality. economic inequality translates into political inequality.

nixon being a keynesian while his successors, including democrats, were not should be instructive. the abandonment is not because the politicians and academics and economists lost their minds and completely forgot about the lessons learned from the great depression. it's because the crisis of potential revolution was over and the tiny minority wanted more for themselves.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kinsky posted:

I'm glad just about every news source has devolved into rabid political editorials and tabloid headlines. I want to be the guy getting paid to do lame sketches of Trump's dumb monkey face

ahahahaha GENIUS!!! :master:

the caricature is pretty lame but that presidential seal owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Trump in 10 months has provided us with infinitely more comedy then 8 years of Bush and it’s not even close.
my facebook memories reminded me that a year ago today, i made a status asking if political comedy was going to be good again or whether it would go so far up its own rear end that it formed an ouroborus. i don't think i need to tell anyone here what the answer is

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Nov 10, 2017

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
the world is still completely hosed up because of bush. it's really cool stuff

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Trump in 10 months has provided us with infinitely more comedy then 8 years of Bush and it’s not even close. I know that doesn’t make him better or worse than Bush but it’s definetly a positive in the Trump column.

There's no That's my Trump and Lil' Trump tv shows

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

There's no That's my Trump and Lil' Trump tv shows
that's ok, late night talk show hosts are picking up the slack for these kinds of shows

also That's My Bush was criminally underrated and was an unfortunate casualty of 9/11. it wasn't even a show meant to mock bush

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

I just think it's weird that GW is recovering some of his legacy by hating trump but frankly I don't care if he does or not, he sucks poo poo, he killed hundreds of thousands of people, that blood is on his hands.

but those were brown people so corncob hot take dot com doesn't account for their hundreds of thousands of deaths when evaluating who is a worse president

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lots of lovely Dems want to rehabilitate W's image because Obama continued most of the bad Bush policies and saying Obama was bad is heresy. Like any time I make fun of Obama I get "ID TAKE HIM OVER TRUMP" like they are the only two possible people to lead this country.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was Bush really that competent, or did the fault lie more with Democrats being at their height at fuckboyness?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was Bush really that competent, or did the fault lie more with Democrats being at their height at fuckboyness?
yes

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Michael Bayleaf posted:

the world is still completely hosed up because of bush. it's really cool stuff

The world is still completely hosed up because of Nixon

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
you know this article is dumb as gently caress because

1) bush had 8 years on Trump, and is worse because his administration was competent enough to weasel through their agendas and convince both sides of the aisle to engage in two wars that we're still not out of

2) trump is a moron with a completely insular and corrupt administration focused on domestic policies that enriches them solely, while bush's mess still endures through 2 administrations and will continue to do so because this administration sure as poo poo is apathetic about long term goals to fixing it

objectively its too early to tell, but substantially that bush wreaked havoc globally, trump will most likely wreak havoc domestically and that's damaging enough to reshape America's foreseeable future if trump's admin can get the job done

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Nov 12, 2017

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

before the election my thought was 4 years of trump would be about as bad as 8 years of bush, i figured trump would be incompetent but still get enough of his more monstrous stuff accomplished to be that damaging. now, who knows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

objectively its too early to tell, but substantially that bush wreaked havoc globally, trump will most likely wreak havoc domestically and that's damaging enough to reshape America's foreseeable future if trump's admin can get the job done
bush did his fair share of domestic damage too, like drastically expanding the surveillance state

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Pick posted:

LET’S ALL TAKE A BREATH: TRUMP IS A JOKE, BUT BUSH WAS WORSE
Until he tweets us into war, the nepotistic antics of King Donald and clown prince Jared seem minor by comparison.

By T.A. Frank

I find myself actually agreeing with this, but is it actually because W was "worse" or just that his administration was more competent to be corrupt and violent?

I think Trump would have started a war by now if he could pay attention to anything or understood how he could directly profit from it.

That article was a very wordy way to say “I’m a straight white man”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Thursday Next posted:

I am truly amazed that you've already forgotten how bad GWB was wrt anyone who was not a straight, white, man.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Thursday Next posted:

Well known LGBT ally Bush

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

i didn't know buzzfeed contributors posted here

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

I am truly amazed that you've already forgotten how bad GWB was wrt anyone who was not a straight, white, man.

the families of half a million dead iraqis certainly haven't

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zas posted:

before the election my thought was 4 years of trump would be about as bad as 8 years of bush, i figured trump would be incompetent but still get enough of his more monstrous stuff accomplished to be that damaging. now, who knows.
You didn't really have a choice. Obama might as well have been bush in starting new wars and the democratic nominee for president in 2016 voted for bush's wars.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
anyone that thinks Trump is worse than Bush is a moron, but luckily it's a good litmus test to decide whether it's worth talking politics to someone

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just in awe of it really. what Trump could do has completely eclipsed what bush actually did. is this postmodernism

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

get that OUT of my face posted:

bush did his fair share of domestic damage too, like drastically expanding the surveillance state

that is true

my AIM was not safe :nono:

trump is going after immigrants and dreamers and im sure his administration is thanking this system because it's a nationalist's wet dream

bush laid the groundwork

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

the families of half a million dead iraqis certainly haven't

*more than

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tapine posted:

*more than
Maybe Bush managed to kill enough entire families that only half a million Iraqis actually have families left to mourn them.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Thursday Next posted:

ah yes george w bush, a good president for the not straight white and male

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

rudatron posted:

we've still got like 3 years left, give Trump a chance

actually we have at least 7 years left

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Frijolero posted:

Told my coworkers that W. would be the first person in my guillotines and one person literally gasped lol

That's a solid first guillotine choice.

As far as the question "IS W WORSE THAN TROMP?" Yes, yes he was.

Trump is Amerca's Rob Ford - he will accomplish next to nothing other than triggering the libs.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Montasque posted:

That's a solid first guillotine choice.

As far as the question "IS W WORSE THAN TROMP?" Yes, yes he was.

Trump is Amerca's Rob Ford - he will accomplish next to nothing other than triggering the libs.

well you kno, except for all those deportations and concentration camps

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I think a lot of people who think Trump is the worst thing ever are just reacting to the (completely reasonable) revulsion they feel towards him personally. He's the concentrated essence of all of Americans' worst characteristics. There's just something viscerally disgusting about a person like that being in a position of power and a lot of people latch onto that feeling because it has a lot of emotional weight. He's a symbol of America's decline and a constant reminder that something is seriously wrong with our society. W had a veneer of decorum so all the horrible poo poo he did was constantly being presented as Sensible Solutions from Reasonable People.

I was surprised at my own reaction to the election. I never had any love for Clinton and thought her being elected would just be an endless source of fodder for the right wing media while nothing changed. But on election night the reality of President Trump setting in was just sickening to me. I just loving hate him, in a way I don't feel about the Bush administration, even though (so far) Trump hasn't been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
At least you're honest about why you hate him so much despite his disappointing lack of bodycount so far

• Locked thread