Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Whats the easiest way to see humidity on the watch? It doesnt seem to be anywhere in the weather app, even though it would be much more useful than AQI to me.

Carrot weather can create a complication for this. It also has dew point available. I have Dark Sky as well but like the carrot complications for Dew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

In a now-deleted blog post, Apple stated that watchOS 7 would only be coming to Series 3 and newer watches. Dang! I was really looking forward to sleep and dance-specific exercise detection; moreso than anything else announced since after the watch first came out. Don't think those two things are worth the upgrade, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

enojy posted:

In a now-deleted blog post, Apple stated that watchOS 7 would only be coming to Series 3 and newer watches. Dang! I was really looking forward to sleep and dance-specific exercise detection; moreso than anything else announced since after the watch first came out. Don't think those two things are worth the upgrade, though.

Apple Watch 6 may be worth the update if it has new health sensors as rumored.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If the battery isn't poo poo like the 5, I'll get the 6 day 1. I'm so loving sick of having to charge at 5pm.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If the battery isn't poo poo like the 5, I'll get the 6 day 1. I'm so loving sick of having to charge at 5pm.

That really sucks. I got my 4 on release and the battery still lasts me 2 days easily.

If the 6 adds blood oxygen monitoring like rumored then Ill get it but Ill stick with my 4 if its just faster and has other small improvements.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just bought a 5, and I'm getting two days of watch battery on average. Does this not stay the case for long?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SeANMcBAY posted:

That really sucks. I got my 4 on release and the battery still lasts me 2 days easily.

If the 6 adds blood oxygen monitoring like rumored then Ill get it but Ill stick with my 4 if its just faster and has other small improvements.

Extremely same. The 4 and 5 share the same processor so I'm assuming the 6 will be a minor bump speed-wise. Here's hoping the health related improvements are worth it.

While I am not Wilford Brimley adjacent myself, and I know it's been a few years since those pictures of Tim Cook walking around Apple Campus with a glucose monitor leaked, but I'd really like to know how close Apple is to getting blood glucose monitoring working. That seems to be the killer app in waiting...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Takoluka posted:

I just bought a 5, and I'm getting two days of watch battery on average. Does this not stay the case for long?
He's had some problem that no one has been able to figure out, including Apple's service.

I can get a full day fine, for two full days I'd have to turn off the always on at some point.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Takoluka posted:

Henriks watch has been super hosed from the start sadly. Ive had mine since launch and its been fine. Usually about 36 hours total.

Right before bed Im usually at around 45% if I worked out that day. If I didnt workout, usually 55-60%.

E: to be clear - I dont think this is Henriks fault. Just clarifying that his experience with the 5 has been poor. Mine has been great.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Henriks watch has been super hosed from the start sadly. Ive had mine since launch and its been fine. Usually about 36 hours total.

Right before bed Im usually at around 45% if I worked out that day. If I didnt workout, usually 55-60%.

E: to be clear - I dont think this is Henriks fault. Just clarifying that his experience with the 5 has been poor. Mine has been great.

Mine is similar but a little better. Unpredictable though.
Some days its dying at 6-8pm others it can make through til quite late; after midnight or more ;; I think I just got a bad battery cause theres no way to get it regular.

Ive tested it vs a s4 with way older battery, nothing seems to help it; I think they just have a lot of s5 out there with cooked batteries.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Ever since AW3 Ive had about 55-60% battery life at the end of the day, about 50% if I did a 2 hour workout

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the AW5's battery is far from poo poo.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My series 5 barely made it through the day, so then I turned off always on screen features and now its 2 days+

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I am honestly confused at how people are bothered that they have to charge their Apple Watch everyday when they have to do the same with multiple other electronic devices.

Around dinner time I throw my Apple Watch and iPad on the charger, grab them both before bed and they are ready to go the next day, I'm significantly more annoyed by having to use my work IP phone.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If my band wasn't poo poo, I'd only take it off when I went to bed because its usually around 50-75% drained, and I have a TON of notifications (I had to cut a bunch down).

It's really not a thing to take my watch off before I go to bed, as I have a watch stand/charger on my nightstand but I now take it off before showering.

Re: Band chat. My GF purchased a nice leather band from Grovemade and I didn't realize that you couldn't wear it in the shower It started to split down the middle after a few weeks. They graciously gave me a replacement but even that has split down 1 inch or so without water exposure. Recommendations for a nice, professional-looking band as opposed to the black rubber one used for workouts, etc?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly confused at how people are bothered that they have to charge their Apple Watch everyday when they have to do the same with multiple other electronic devices.

Around dinner time

I dont mind charging it daily ; just the random nature of it..

Think the most annoying one was during a 90 minute workout one afternoon I had the thing die or force Low Power Mode .. which cut off my music or whatever I was listening to..

Im messing with the beta right now and the older s4 on the 7 beta has used 2% since 10am ; the newer s5 has used 18% in the same time, on the latest watchOS final stable version. That is weird...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Three Olives posted:

I get it.

A few years ago a lot of people would get home and plug in their phone, and possibly their laptop.

Now days it's not that unusual to get home, plug in your phone, take your watch off, plug in your laptop, and plug in your headphones.

It's a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean people can get a bit over it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Im more likely to plug in my watch before bed than my phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Yeah this is pretty much it. I realize my experience is not typical for the 5, and Im certainly not indicative of the normal 5 experience. Ive shipped it back for repair multiple times and its returned 48 hours later with a note that says cannot reproduce the issue, but our diagnostic tests may have magically fixed it.

It just sucks that I was outside my return period when I figured out I wasnt getting anywhere with apple support. Really looking forward to the 6.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Everytime I use Siri on my watch to make a reminder, it goes into the wrong list instead of my default reminder list. How do I change it so it goes into the list I want by default?

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Everytime I use Siri on my watch to make a reminder, it goes into the wrong list instead of my default reminder list. How do I change it so it goes into the list I want by default?

The iOS Settings app Reminders section? I think it might change it on all devices? I dont see a Watch specific setting anywhere.

You might also be able to do something like add a reminder to my Bucket list to sky dive

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

The iOS Settings app Reminders section? I think it might change it on all devices? I dont see a Watch specific setting anywhere.

You might also be able to do something like add a reminder to my Bucket list to sky dive

Yes. On my phone I have it set to the default reminder list while any reminder I make on my watch automatically goes into my shopping list. Ill try that though.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. On my phone I have it set to the default reminder list while any reminder I make on my watch automatically goes into my shopping list. Ill try that though.

Found someone in Apple discussions who says the Watch adds the Siri reminders to whatever list is the first in the list?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

Found someone in Apple discussions who says the Watch adds the Siri reminders to whatever list is the first in the list?

That wasnt the first list. I just deleted the shopping list and remade it. That seems to have fixed it and now theyre going in my default reminders.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I didn't see it from a cursory glance through the thread, so I'll just ask: is there some issue going on with the Apple Watch 5 (and maybe others?) continually disconnecting from bluetooth with their paired iPhone? My son and I both have 5th series watches and iPhone 11, and it seems the past month or so we are both continuously getting the little red "not connected to a phone" notification on our watches, and when we go into the bluetooth settings it's disconnected. Tapping it in bluetooth will reconnect it but give it some time and it's gone again.

If I'm at home on WiFi, it will stay connected (I assume through WiFi, obviously), but without fail when I'm out and on cell data, it disconnects.

edit: also we've both reset the watches and re-paired them to our respective phones. It hasn't fixed it. I'm hoping it's a software issue that will be resolved with an update? Maybe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Maybe reset the network settings on your phones?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I didn't see it from a cursory glance through the thread, so I'll just ask: is there some issue going on with the Apple Watch 5 (and maybe others?) continually disconnecting from bluetooth with their paired iPhone? My son and I both have 5th series watches and iPhone 11, and it seems the past month or so we are both continuously getting the little red "not connected to a phone" notification on our watches, and when we go into the bluetooth settings it's disconnected. Tapping it in bluetooth will reconnect it but give it some time and it's gone again.

If I'm at home on WiFi, it will stay connected (I assume through WiFi, obviously), but without fail when I'm out and on cell data, it disconnects.

edit: also we've both reset the watches and re-paired them to our respective phones. It hasn't fixed it. I'm hoping it's a software issue that will be resolved with an update? Maybe?

I had this issue with my watch right when I got it. Turns out the issue was that my phone was connected to one WiFi network in my house while my watch was connected to another. Aligning the two to be on the same WiFi fixed it for me.

Edit: I realize that you mention that your issue is when youre out of the house on data, but what I did above resolved both in and out-of-house connectivity issues.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe reset the network settings on your phones?

This was actually the winner. I forget about that option all the time. Watches are now behaving, thanks!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if the upcoming version of WatchOS will let you use the 'exercise' widget on modular watch faces? It's super annoying and confusing that certain widgets can only be used in certain places (especially for Apple's own apps). All I want is to be able to quickly open the exercise app from the infograph modular face, but I've never been able to find a way to do it, so I have to slide between faces, which for some reason bothers me.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if the upcoming version of WatchOS will let you use the 'exercise' widget on modular watch faces? It's super annoying and confusing that certain widgets can only be used in certain places (especially for Apple's own apps). All I want is to be able to quickly open the exercise app from the infograph modular face, but I've never been able to find a way to do it, so I have to slide between faces, which for some reason bothers me.

Isn't it just called 'Workout'? It's there on mine.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Isn't it just called 'Workout'? It's there on mine.

Whattttt. Thank you! I swear it didn't used to be there, did they add it in an update at some point?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

frogbs posted:

Whattttt. Thank you! I swear it didn't used to be there, did they add it in an update at some point?

I mean its been there for a long time AFAIK. I've had it set on mine forever it feels like.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

frogbs posted:

It's been there, I think you just missed it!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

It's been there, I think you just missed it!

It's 100% possible I was just thinking 'exercise', even though it clearly says 'Workout'. I'm probably just a big idiot. Thanks for all the help y'all!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife just got me an Apple Watch that has cellular. However, when I try to set it up, it says that it cannot log in (I can log into the app, no problem but when I tried to set up the Verizon shortcut, it would never recognize my info).
I then tried to register it and it gives me a your number is invalid message.
Any ideas on how to set it up or what could be causing it? (My wifes phone is the main phone number for the account)
This is the first error message:

Second error message:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife just got me an Apple Watch that has cellular. However, when I try to set it up, it says that it cannot log in (I can log into the app, no problem but when I tried to set up the Verizon shortcut, it would never recognize my info).
I then tried to register it and it gives me a your number is invalid message.
Any ideas on how to set it up or what could be causing it? (My wifes phone is the main phone number for the account)
This is the first error message:

Second error message:

I believe maybe that you havent purchased a second data plan for the watch. Its an extra $10 per month on TMo, and I think the same on Verizon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$10/month

Anyway, call Verizon.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
My Apple Watch was not receiving any information from my iPhone and despite having the green iPhone icon on, the phone couldnt find it. I unpaired it via the iPhone, but is there really no way to pair it again without a complete reset of the watch?

edit: did it and found out its relatively quick and painless. A backup is saved to your iPhone.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 3, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How useful is the ECG on the series 5? I seem to be developing a lovely heart and my wife is imploring me to switch to iPhone for this.

Currently have an s20 ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Idk, its not a doctor but apparently saved a lot of peoples lives (allegedly) who didnt have any diagnosis. Its probably better to have it than not but you should still have checkups with a doc.