Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there a good way to programmatically trigger watch face changes?

I want my face to have activity stats front and center from midnight until I've hit the move target for the day, then cut over to just the time for the rest of the day.

Saw this on Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Love the random days where my battery dies insanely fast. Haven’t had one in a long time but today after the update I’m at 10% despite doing nothing with the watch itself.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I do not use too many shortcuts but this will be useful. I can have it set up a certain face when I get to school, one when the school day is over and one for when I sleep at night.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Basically just wore a sport band that came with the Watch for years on my different versions without particularly caring for appearance or whatever else. Decided to get a Sport Loop today and it is so much more comfortable I feel dumb for not changing the strap. I actually forget the Watch is on my wrist now. This is basically a PSA for people who haven't considered changing it up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
wait so is the force touch screen just deactivated on the new OSs even on old hardware? I haven’t updated yet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wore the sport loop exclusively for years. Love it. Only complaint was when I was swimming, it would come undone when I dove into the pool or swam with any speed. I tried the sport band and have been wearing it ever since just because of the pool thing.

Sport loop does indeed own though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do any of the other retailers allow you to buy the Apple watch with the sport loop or is that only when you customize it from Apple?

I have some gift certs to Best Buy and would rather buy a Series 6 there but if I have to buy a sport loop anyways then I might as well go through Apple.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Ok Comboomer posted:

wait so is the force touch screen just deactivated on the new OSs even on old hardware? I haven’t updated yet.

Yep, it's gone. Sucks, I enjoyed using it to clear notifications.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress, it’s like they maimed the product. gently caress that, my 6S + Series 3 have like 4 and 3 years respectively and they work fine (phone storage is maxed and battery is starting to crap).

That bothers me. I paid for those features. I liked those features. They’re hardware-specific, not like an app that dies or whatever. loving bullshit, Apple.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Do any of the other retailers allow you to buy the Apple watch with the sport loop or is that only when you customize it from Apple?

I have some gift certs to Best Buy and would rather buy a Series 6 there but if I have to buy a sport loop anyways then I might as well go through Apple.

Just get a knockoff loop on Amazon for like $8

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just get a knockoff loop on Amazon for like $8

I know, but the regular band is never going to leave the box and if I can save $8 then I'll save $8

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I know, but the regular band is never going to leave the box and if I can save $8 then I'll save $8

Maybe get some apple store gift cards from BB?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I got the sport loop on sale at Best Buy today for 29.99. It's steep, but they also give you 4 months of Apple Music (which I already use) and I prefer knowing that the connector on the strap is Apple certified. I know there are good knockoffs and all that but it's an expensive item so I never scrimp on plugs/straps.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 21, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I wish they made a sport loop with magnets instead of Velcro, like the leather loops have.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
(Thought I already posted but maybe in the wrong thread)
Pretty neat trick, you can automate watch face changes based on time w/Shortcuts now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/iw8b5t/how_to_automate_your_watch_faces_based_on_time_of/

Wonder how many other triggers it works with, I'd probably make some triggers based on car bluetooth and my gym.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wanted to finally grab a watch since I loved my gear S3 but I think I may have same issue that I did with the sizing, the bands are too small. The loop is out of the question since I tried the sizing tool and the largest size was short by and inch and half or so. Anyone have advice? I went through a bunch of crap 3rd party bands trying to find one that fit for my gear s3, had to use a Nato band that blocked all the sensors for awhile until I found something that worked. I'm in Houston so all the stores are closed so going in store for sizing is out of the question

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Without sounding like an rear end, how.... large are your wrists?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Without sounding like an rear end, how.... large are your wrists?

It's AC Slater. Dude has been powerlifting and wrestling competitively since the early 90s. Tree trunks for wrists.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

I wish they made a sport loop with magnets instead of Velcro, like the leather loops have.

I mean they did it’s the Milanese loop right? Gotta pay that material up charge!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

enojy posted:

It's AC Slater. Dude has been powerlifting and wrestling competitively since the early 90s. Tree trunks for wrists.

Ha yeah I'm a thicc boi. I hate cardio and just straight lift so it doesn't help my issue but I'm 6 foot 6 so yeah I'm obviously a small market. Wrists are roughly 10 inches round if I recall maybe 11?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

The loss of force press in notifications and watch face switching really sucks

Yeah, I don't understand this change.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I wanted to finally grab a watch since I loved my gear S3 but I think I may have same issue that I did with the sizing, the bands are too small. The loop is out of the question since I tried the sizing tool and the largest size was short by and inch and half or so. Anyone have advice? I went through a bunch of crap 3rd party bands trying to find one that fit for my gear s3, had to use a Nato band that blocked all the sensors for awhile until I found something that worked. I'm in Houston so all the stores are closed so going in store for sizing is out of the question

It might be worth it to buy adapters for normal watch bands and find one of those.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.imore.com/best-apple-watch-bands-extra-large-wrists

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

From that link it looks like the one large enough is the one Amazon brand I found for the gear s3 but it’s like having stiff rope on your wrists, better than squeezing the poo poo out of my wrists with a smaller band

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So after unpairing and repairing my watch, I’ve found that a lot of the really bad battery drain issues with my S4 and WatchOS 7 have been mitigated. Still not 100% satisfied but it’s way better than what it was.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dutchbstrd posted:

New watch owner and curious if there a way to sync individual podcasts to a watch with the default app? I can't figure out a way, and it seems like you have to let the Phone and Watch intelligently sync everything, or sync what is in "Up Next". And it only works while charging. I want to be able to scroll to a podcast on my phone and shove it to my watch to listen to while running / without my phone. It looks like Overcast can do this but ideally I can do it in Podcast.app.

Also why is it so slow to sync music to the device? Does it go from your phone's connection via Bluetooth? Because if you turn off bluetooth it seems like the watch downloads over wifi from the cloud directly, and is much faster. Why is it so slow, if things like Airdrop are so insanely fast?

What else should I use this thing for? Not sure if it's worth the $400 after the first day, but we'll see.

Go back a page or few, I asked and provided my thoughts and solution (Pocket casts in the end) and is still been working well for me to seamlessly switch back and forth between phone and watch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So after unpairing and repairing my watch, I’ve found that a lot of the really bad battery drain issues with my S4 and WatchOS 7 have been mitigated. Still not 100% satisfied but it’s way better than what it was.

Did you pair as a new watch or from a backup? I did as a backup and while it’s still too early to tell, it seems to be much better. I’ll see where I’m at mid day tomorrow after a full charge. Today I was at about 40%.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

For the purposes of potential troubleshooting,

S4, watchOS 7

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Zero battery issues. Finished the day at 75%.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah, I don't understand this change.

The new watch is missing the force touch hardware to save 0.1mm thickness to increase the battery 8.5% (for 40mm, 3.5% for 44mm). They disabled it from the old watches because it would make the 6 look bad or something.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Ha yeah I'm a thicc boi. I hate cardio and just straight lift so it doesn't help my issue but I'm 6 foot 6 so yeah I'm obviously a small market. Wrists are roughly 10 inches round if I recall maybe 11?

lol, I measured out 11 inches on my tailor's measure, and I was able to get it across my entire forearm (pretty snugly, though).

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Shammypants posted:

I mean they did it’s the Milanese loop right? Gotta pay that material up charge!

I want a fabric loop that is held onto your wrist with magnets instead of Velcro, like the leather loops have without being metal because they are leather

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's so weird that Apple got us all to love the force touching on phones and watches to just take it out. What did they not like about it? High failure rates on those parts?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TraderStav posted:

It's so weird that Apple got us all to love the force touching on phones and watches to just take it out. What did they not like about it? High failure rates on those parts?

Low discoverability and hard to explain to most people

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Force touch is dumb and no average user actually uses it. It seems simple to us but it’s the new mouse click vs double mouse click for normal people. The idea of a button doing one thing but another if you press it in a different way is actually terrible user design because it makes no sense and is foreign to everyone that uses buttons or interactive gestures. Nothing else in my lab or home or anything works like that.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

101 posted:

Low discoverability and hard to explain to most people

Also it makes the waterproofing seals more complicated and the whole display a little more expensive.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don’t miss force touch in the iPhones really, the long press they implemented instead has been good enough for 99% of things.

Don’t think I ever use it on my Watch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I guess I’m in the minority then! Fair enough

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will miss force touch and I’m in no hurry to install the next OS now that I know it will be disabled.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Anyone get a braided solo loop and can comment on how sweat resistant it is? I have a couple knockoff sport loops and they’re terrible for workouts, they’re damp for hours afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
The 6 is thinner now that they got rid of force touch (10.4 vs 10.74mm). Hoping they make a big leap and get Series 7 under 9mm thick.