Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think it makes sense. If you are price sensitive enough to be buying used apple products the cosmetic premium of the SS versions won’t matter much to you. And since the performance is the same then why not just get the aluminum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

FCKGW posted:

Why wouldn't there be? Do you just toss all your old electronics in the garbage or something?

Basically yeah I just throw them in a drawer or whatever because I am not interested in spending hours trying to make $100 along with shipping headaches and internet fraud bullshit. I generally just give my old stuff away or recycle it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Unless you really want to keep it, just trade it in to Apple for a discount at the very least.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah I’m increasingly liking apple as a trade in option. Not top dollar, but easiest option and don’t have to deal with craigslist flakes, and then the device itself is either recycled or refurbished and either is better than a drawer or landfill for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone know why after a certain time of day (after 9pm it seems) my watch stops alerting me to things like messages? I swear I don't have do not disturb turned on, I had the notifications set to mirror my iphone (which also doesn't seem to buzz for notifications either - the volume switch is usually off on it) and I tried setting it to always notify in the watch app, but nothing.

Really weird and annoying and it gets me into a lot of trouble when my wife texts me and I don't see it. What the hell is going on??

The rest of the day it's fine.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

priznat posted:

Does anyone know why after a certain time of day (after 9pm it seems) my watch stops alerting me to things like messages? I swear I don't have do not disturb turned on, I had the notifications set to mirror my iphone (which also doesn't seem to buzz for notifications either - the volume switch is usually off on it) and I tried setting it to always notify in the watch app, but nothing.

Really weird and annoying and it gets me into a lot of trouble when my wife texts me and I don't see it. What the hell is going on??

The rest of the day it's fine.

Do you have a bedtime set on the iPhone?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jabro posted:

Do you have a bedtime set on the iPhone?

Hmm I do have a sleep schedule from 11pm til 7am.

Weird thing is I got some watch notifications from another contact right after I posted. Seems only my wife’s is affected. Checked the ringtones and all default. Really stumped!

I will turn on emergency bypass I think, try that..

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I keep on forgetting to do something with my series 1. It sits on a desk, strapless, one of the quick release buttons broke off, and I can’t imagine getting anything for it — so it sits.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Turn it into a desk watch or something. You can buy small rubber macs you can stick the watch in so it acts like a screen.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
You have to wipe your phone to fix the workout maps issue? gently caress.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

hadji murad posted:

You have to wipe your phone to fix the workout maps issue? gently caress.

I just use WorkOutDoors.app cause gently caress you Apple. It’s superior in every way.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I bought a SS S5... finally... after owning many models. I set it as a goal, and bought one when I got a new job.

I never thought the aftermarket price would hurt, since I finally 'owned it'... but OUCH

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jink posted:

I bought a SS S5... finally... after owning many models. I set it as a goal, and bought one when I got a new job.

I never thought the aftermarket price would hurt, since I finally 'owned it'... but OUCH

I upgraded from an aluminum S1 to a SS S2 when they went on clearance, which really just meant about 40% off. Even that price stung a bit at the time, but it has held up extremely well (black DLC coating!) and I'm glad I splurged every time I reach to put it on. Splurge a little more on a nice band that complements it, and you'll find yourself having a hard time upgrading it in 3 or 4 years. A Series 5 is in much better shape to be futureproof, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Had the S6 for about a day now. Fortunately I got lucky and my health/workout stuff was untouched. Jury's still out on the battery since I want to get through a couple charge cycles, but I've gone all day and so far it seems to be at least on par with S5 (which I would get anywhere from 22-26 hours depending on my workouts).

SpO2 sensor is suprisingly accurate for me. I have been consistently getting readings within 2% of the expensive finger-tip sensor I bought last year. I'm going to keep up the parallel reads for another few days, but if I keep getting consistent results like this, that's one more thing I can stop having to manually track in my health log for my cardio and primary docs.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Anyone have suggestions on whether to go with the 40 vs 44mm? My wrist size is somewhere between 165 and 170mm (tough to get an exact measurement) and my main priority would be everyday wear (I am fairly active though, and would like something that would also work for running). I guess at the end of the day the correct move would probably be to go try them on, but I'm somewhat hesitant about going to retail stores unnecessarily right now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get the smaller one.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

motherbox posted:

Anyone have suggestions on whether to go with the 40 vs 44mm? My wrist size is somewhere between 165 and 170mm (tough to get an exact measurement) and my main priority would be everyday wear (I am fairly active though, and would like something that would also work for running). I guess at the end of the day the correct move would probably be to go try them on, but I'm somewhat hesitant about going to retail stores unnecessarily right now.

I’d go with the bigger one but you should probably try it on if you have an opportunity. The 44mm wears much smaller than its proportions suggest (versus a 44m diameter round watch) and it’s pretty thin too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I had the exact same wrist diameter (165mm) when measuring for the new loops and I’ve always been wearing 38/40mm watches.

Thing to keep in mind is, if your hands are big you might not be able to wear the milanaise loops, as is the case with me because they don’t fit over my hand. Sport Loop just about fits. That shouldn’t be an issue with the 44mm.

Just order it and if you don’t like it, return it. Apple is pretty generous about that I think.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I have small wrists and had always worn the 38mm until the 6, and I'm pretty happy with the larger screen size. The watch doesn't feel anywhere near as big as the big series 3 one did when I tried them on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Having lost a ton of weight over the past two years, the 38mm would probably look better now. My bands are all 44, however, and I love to collect bands so no way I’m switching.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Big chunky watches are the current fashion anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I started with the 44mm and switched to 38mm when the S4 got the improved screen. Not a fan of big watches, they should do whatever they can to be unobtrusive.

Best part for me is it works better with gloves on.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I really disliked the larger Apple Watch, but wore it anyway to get more pixels. The black 'off' display was a bummer to be advertising to everyone around you, haha.

Then the Series 4 came out and gave more pixels and actual use of the wrist real estate. Always On Display cemented the usefulness of the larger display, for me. I can have data shown at all times, sometimes health, sometimes a simple hour:minute watch face.

Might give that smaller size a try one day, but torn on it all. :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wasted 3 hours of my day trying to exchange my solo loop for a size smaller.

I used the online chat to get a size down from what I currently have. They said I have to mail mine back then once they received it, they’d ship out the new size. Well, I don’t have any other bands and they said it would be November before I’d get the replacement. So basically I’d be without a watch for a month. No thanks. They said I could exchange it at my local store.

So I make an appointment and go in, and after finding my new size, they said they can’t do an exchange. I need to have the original packaging the watch came in. So I have to leave and drive home to get the box for my watch for whatever reason.

I get back to the store and they say they can’t do the exchange because they don’t have my color/size in stock. Something they could have easily told me before I drove home to get a box. So now the only option is for them to order me one and have it shipped to my house in November. But I needed to hand my band over today to get the process going. Again, without a watch for a month.

The lady (who was actually very nice and apologetic) sat there reading their procedures for 20 mins or so and said I did have to give them my solo loop today, but they’d give me a sport band to use until the new solo loop came in the mail next month. I didn’t need to return it, so basically I got a $50 band for free while I wait on my solo loop.

Then they had to call Apple support to attach the return receipt # of my solo loop to my online order of the smaller solo loop so it’s marked as returned in store and they aren’t waiting to receive one in the mail for me. They had to call the 1-800 number you or I use. There’s no other number they call when it’s a store calling. That seems super odd. Anyway, she was on the phone for 45 mins trying to attach the receipt number to my order.

It’s pretty comical how dumb this band exchanging process is. She said I was the first one to exchange a solo loop at this particular store and they didn’t really have the procedures mapped out completely. And why the hell I needed to have the box of my watch, I haven’t the slightest clue. They never even used it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

motherbox posted:

I'm right about 170mm and the 40mm immediately looked too small on the wrist for my taste, and I don't prefer a bulky watch at all. Trying on versus my old 42mm Series 2 that I've been used to for years.

You should probably try both on if you can! Of course, there is some subjective preference involved. For me, I just felt like I was trying on one of my mom's watches with the 40mm.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 9, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yesterday’s update fixed the GPS issue for me. My morning run was fully mapped out. I didn’t have to delete my entire phone.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Received my Series 6 yesterday upgrading from a 4. The always on is worth the upgrade alone. Not having that few milliseconds of pause is more noticeable than I would have thought. I wish the Nike versions came in the new colors though. I like their watch faces.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know yesterday's presentation was all about the phone, but I'm surprised there wasn't any update on a Fitness+ release date. Have they elaborated on that at all besides "before the end of the year"? I assume they'll want to have it out as a selling point for the holiday season?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know yesterday's presentation was all about the phone, but I'm surprised there wasn't any update on a Fitness+ release date. Have they elaborated on that at all besides "before the end of the year"? I assume they'll want to have it out as a selling point for the holiday season?

Rumor is another event next month for Apple silicon, Airtags, and the like. We’ll probably get our fitness+, Apple One updates and the like just in time for the holiday season!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I go to the activity sharing screen there’s 1 person who hasn’t had any activity for a couple weeks now. Does this mean that person blocked/stopped sharing with me or that they don’t use their watch anymore?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I go to the activity sharing screen there’s 1 person who hasn’t had any activity for a couple weeks now. Does this mean that person blocked/stopped sharing with me or that they don’t use their watch anymore?

Probably the latter. It specifically says if someone is hiding their activity from you.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao, what do you have to hide, Andrew?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What's the general concensus on the current suite of Apple watches. After years of eying them off I think I'm gonna get one for myself as a Christmas present. Is the 6 a good one to get or is this a year where its like "no dude just wait till next year this one is poo poo"

Also are there good third party band suppliers people reccomend (that ship to Australia?) or should I just stick with apple. Wouldn't mind a more casual band I wear to work and maybe a slightly dressier one.

Cheers

EDIT: Also any good fitness apps for the watch. I am starting to pick up jogging a bit more and would love an app that works well with the phone and music (In the past I have felt a lot of apps sometimes don't gel with apple music very well but maybe I'm just looking at old apps)

teacup fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

6 good. Get it.

The stock workouts app is great. I actually use that for running rather than Strava or anything else. It’s simple and easy to use. I then use the phone app, Health Fit to sync to different services, Strava included.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

teacup posted:

What's the general concensus on the current suite of Apple watches. After years of eying them off I think I'm gonna get one for myself as a Christmas present. Is the 6 a good one to get or is this a year where its like "no dude just wait till next year this one is poo poo"

Also are there good third party band suppliers people reccomend (that ship to Australia?) or should I just stick with apple. Wouldn't mind a more casual band I wear to work and maybe a slightly dressier one.

Cheers

EDIT: Also any good fitness apps for the watch. I am starting to pick up jogging a bit more and would love an app that works well with the phone and music (In the past I have felt a lot of apps sometimes don't gel with apple music very well but maybe I'm just looking at old apps)

I was in the same boat and finally jumped on the 6 this year. Very happy with it as a notification display/fitness tracker type thing. (I bike, for which Cyclemeter is great, but the built in workout tracker is actually really good since you can data sync like Henrik said.)

I assume the Aussie Amazon store has the same plethora of cheap 3rd party bands - at least for a cheap casual band, the 12 dollar nylon loop (fake sport loop) is exactly what I needed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Better get used to the stock app (which is good!) if you care about your workout data. I don’t know what it is but Nike Run Club and Strava always just tend to forget workouts at random so I’m kinda burnt on that. Maybe it’s just me though! I tend to copy my data to Strava with HealthFit for stuff like shoe tracking.

The 6 is good and there’s no point waiting until next year if you want one now.

If you’re unsure just get one of the cheaper watches and if it turns out you love it but want a better version, exchange it for the 6. Or straight out get the 6 and return it within 14 days if you don’t like it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

6 good. Get it.

The stock workouts app is great. I actually use that for running rather than Strava or anything else. It’s simple and easy to use. I then use the phone app, Health Fit to sync to different services, Strava included.

This. The 6 is my first AW and I like it more than my Garmin. I’m a big watch guy too and it’s unseated all my other watches. The daily activity tracking on it is top notch. The stock work out app is great and if you require more detail, WorkOutDoors is fantastic too.

The ONLY gripe I have is I have to kill Bluetooth on my phone/wifi on watch prior to working out to force the watch to use its own GPS chipset and not the phones.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How long does the AW6 last practically nowadays? Since I'm hopping over to an iPhone 12 now, there's interest in one. Can it last at least 24 hours when I disable AOD and ancillary things like GPS and Wifi? I'd like to wear it 23/7 from shower to shower. --edit: And use it as vibration alarm clock.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 18, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

How long does the AW6 last practically nowadays? Since I'm hopping over to an iPhone 12 now, there's interest in one. Can it last at least 24 hours when I disable AOD and ancillary things like GPS and Wifi? I'd like to wear it 23/7 from shower to shower. --edit: And use it as vibration alarm clock.

I don't disable anything, and I easily get more than 24 hours. I use a daily alarm for wake-up and I also have it constantly pulling my SpO2 and heart rate in the background. I'll admit I haven't pushed the Exercise app much since I don't wander out in the Plague Lands these days and instead use stationary machines like my spinner bike and rowing machine.

One thing I don't do is play music off the watch, which I imagine might impact battery life (no idea how much). I do occasionally take a call on the watch if I'm on the other side of the house as my phone.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I use a daily alarm for wake-up and I also have it constantly pulling my SpO2 and heart rate in the background.

Wait, it does the oxygen saturation thing in the background? I thought you had to do that deliberately like the EKG. Neat.