Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Working my retail job, I don’t even think about a step / calorie goal because I crush it easily before end of my shift.

I start a work at home job in two weeks (hooray!) and one of the biggest lifestyle changes is that I will probably have to be way more proactive on my exercise and getting steps in.

Thankfully Apple fitness has been going well, so it’s a start, but I think I’ll have to do more than 10-15 mins a day.

I guess we will see how a body reacts to 40-50 hours of walking a week changing to 40-50 hours sitting a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Duckman2008 posted:

Working my retail job, I don’t even think about a step / calorie goal because I crush it easily before end of my shift.

I start a work at home job in two weeks (hooray!) and one of the biggest lifestyle changes is that I will probably have to be way more proactive on my exercise and getting steps in.

Thankfully Apple fitness has been going well, so it’s a start, but I think I’ll have to do more than 10-15 mins a day.

I guess we will see how a body reacts to 40-50 hours of walking a week changing to 40-50 hours sitting a week.

I got this to keep my stand minutes up as well as just in general since standing desks are good for my back per my doc

https://workfromhomedesks.com

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

I got this to keep my stand minutes up as well as just in general since standing desks are good for my back per my doc

https://workfromhomedesks.com

This is a good link, thanks ! And yeah, finding a desk is gonna be a dive. Right now, I have a card table I will be using temporarily while looking for what I need.

Honestly, I am pretty sure I do not want a standing only desk. At best, I’ll get a desk that can go up and down , but even that I feel could be overkill. I did 3 months work at home summer 2020 and never felt the need to have standing room. I just took a walk during my lunch.

But hell if I know.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I failed the February goal. The goal was 2500 exercise minutes. I needed 310 more minutes :negative:

This months goal is to walk or run 418 KM. Seems doable? Ill find out.

Also i’m a big fan of using the apple watch to pay for stuff. Been using it since late 2019 and its just so handy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

March’s exercise goal: 5,660 minutes

Tim plz

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I need 7 more minutes, which I can probably get just walking around the house.

Which is good, since it's raining.

Didn't get it lol

This month is close my exercise ring 12, which is much more attainable, given I did it more than that with fewer days last month.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Have to walk or run 1.6mi a day. If I was in the office it would be ez but since it’s still cold outside where I live taking lunch break walks isn’t my thing. I wish it would count my exercise bike miles.

Edit: looking at my health data i was averaging 1.7mi a day this year so maybe it is doable...

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 1, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't get it lol

This month is close my exercise ring 12, which is much more attainable, given I did it more than that with fewer days last month.
11 times for me. :getin:
Tim knows I’m a lazy fucker this pandemic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fourwood posted:

11 times for me. :getin:
Tim knows I’m a lazy fucker this pandemic.

Yeah, I got it 20 times in February, so this is a weirdly light goal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't get it lol

Mine is to close it 22 times... ffs

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I’ve got do 23 trainings of 15 minute length in March, I can feel the disappointed look on Tim‘s face from across the ocean

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I got it 20 times in February, so this is a weirdly light goal.

It's just your watch dragging on you for not getting that last 7 minutes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Close all 3 rings for 30 days. I was already going for a perfect month so why not? :shrug:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

1460 exercise minutes. Apparently that’s what I did in February so I guess I’ll get my first month this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

It's just your watch dragging on you for not getting that last 7 minutes.
Very possible!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tim has taken pity on me after failing February by a few exercise hours, and has given me a move challenge that is less than my daily target.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well since getting the watch for Christmas I’ve been pretty consistent. Why is this dumb thing so motivating? Lots of workouts past 11pm though because I procrastinate.

My March goal is all 3 rings every day, might as well keep going.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Snuffman posted:

Close all 3 rings for 30 days. I was already going for a perfect month so why not? :shrug:

Yeah this is me too. :getin:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok Apple workouts need a scrobble function. I’ve had 2 just stop mid workout now and it basically screwed. For the HIIT workout the timings for the exercises still showed up at least.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The worst was when I had a perfect 3 rings everyday for a month and then on the last day I missed my move goal by literally 1 calorie because I thought it was closed and went to bed early. I should have opened the actual app instead of just looking at the complication ring. :(

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

If Apple ever released or licensed a clock that was just your rings it would sell the gently caress out. I’d buy one. Got to close them all. Even my pre schooler asks me to see my rings lol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin’ from the iPhone thread:

Weird question for those using Fitness+: Is there a good workout to use if you have an elliptical? I'm not sure if the bike or treadmill workouts would make more sense. As I've done neither of those, does someone who has know if one or the other would be a decent accompaniment to a workout on an elliptical?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't have an elliptical or a treadmill, but I do have a spin bike so I can give you a rough overview of how those classes tend to work. It's all based around two factor - speed and resistance. Usually you're cycling to the beat of the tune playing, and they'll tell you to take up or down the resistance of the fly wheel to simulate going up/down hills. If you can recreate that on your equipment, then it can probably work well enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't have an elliptical or a treadmill, but I do have a spin bike so I can give you a rough overview of how those classes tend to work. It's all based around two factor - speed and resistance. Usually you're cycling to the beat of the tune playing, and they'll tell you to take up or down the resistance of the fly wheel to simulate going up/down hills. If you can recreate that on your equipment, then it can probably work well enough.

Gotcha, so bike would probably work for me then. I can change resistance as well as incline on my elliptical, so that should allow me to play along at home. Thanks!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
For anyone who has a large mp3 collection/hates streaming services, I gotta say that iTunes Match is pretty groovy. $25/year, you get your iTunes library available on your devices including your Watch (which they don't advertise). It's your music, but you don't have to pay monthly for Spotify or Apple Music. If I didn't have the Watch I'd just use Plex but unfortunately PlexAmp doesn't work on Watch quite yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

For anyone who has a large mp3 collection/hates streaming services, I gotta say that iTunes Match is pretty groovy. $25/year, you get your iTunes library available on your devices including your Watch (which they don't advertise). It's your music, but you don't have to pay monthly for Spotify or Apple Music. If I didn't have the Watch I'd just use Plex but unfortunately PlexAmp doesn't work on Watch quite yet.

You get iTunes match included with a base Apple music subscription by the way.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Vince MechMahon posted:

You get iTunes match included with a base Apple music subscription by the way.

Yeah if you already use it it’s a nice thing to have included

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It came up before in one of the threads, but the Match service in Apple Music is a bit different to the one you buy standalone. From memory the Apple Music one doesn't contain the ability to upload stuff that you have in your collection but it doesn't have, someone was running both services though just to ensure they had the full thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

It came up before in one of the threads, but the Match service in Apple Music is a bit different to the one you buy standalone. From memory the Apple Music one doesn't contain the ability to upload stuff that you have in your collection but it doesn't have, someone was running both services though just to ensure they had the full thing.

I've only got Apple music and it allows me to upload whatever I want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, I think I've remembered the difference and it's that music that you download from Apple Music has DRM on it whereas Match doesn't (hence the 'laundering' people would do with it). My brain works in a way where I remember the general aspect of something, but gently caress up the precise element!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone having battery issues with the Apple Watch? I have a series 6 and over the last two days, I am at 10% by 20 hours. Before the last two days, I was usually in the 30s by 22 hours.

I cannot figure anything has changed with my watch settings and the days before that we’re just like the last two days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone having battery issues with the Apple Watch? I have a series 6 and over the last two days, I am at 10% by 20 hours. Before the last two days, I was usually in the 30s by 22 hours.

I cannot figure anything has changed with my watch settings and the days before that we’re just like the last two days.

Give it a hard reset. Probably a stuck process.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, have you rebooted? My S3 pulls this kind of thing every once in a while and a reboot always takes care of it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks, I will try that tonight and see if it helps out tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of our cats has decided a valuable use of time is to jump into bed every couple hours. Apparently the combination of petting a cat and then unceremoniously shoving it to the floor is a great way to fool the watch into thinking you've stood up because in the past week I've gotten up in the morning with 3-4 stand hours already completed.

I'd rather get uninterrupted sleep though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

50/50 shot on whether it registers as a stand hour or washing hands.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My second favourite "stand goal" thing from the before-times is how often I would be on a plane, just lining up on the runway, the captain pushes the throttle forward... "time to stand up!"

My favourite thing was when it congratulated me for doing it as we lifted off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there an issue with some complications never updating? I was using a carrot one for my hourly weather and it would never update without me tapping on it, making it kind of useless. The regular weather one updates fine but has less information, but I’ll just go back to that.

Wondering if it is some carrot subscription shenanigans.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Is there an issue with some complications never updating? I was using a carrot one for my hourly weather and it would never update without me tapping on it, making it kind of useless. The regular weather one updates fine but has less information, but I’ll just go back to that.

Wondering if it is some carrot subscription shenanigans.

That's been an issue with 3rd party complications since the beginning. It's been improved, but it's still a thing. Sometimes they're fine and update consistently, sometimes they don't. I run into it with sports score apps and some weather apps. FWIW, Dark Sky seems to work well for me, and it did before Apple acquired them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Dark Sky may be good, but is it $3.99 worth of good?

GAH, it's crazy how we don't blink at throwing a grand at a phone and hundreds at a watch, but paid apps need to be justified.