Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My solo loop just snapped today. Nice $50 band. Will have to see if they can exchange it.

Well, after one of those iMessage support things, 2 phone calls and 3 visits to my local store, I finally have a new solo loop. That entire process was absolutely absurd. I kept getting passed off to other departments and transferred, then finally was told I HAD to bring it in to a store to have it replaced. No, I didn't need an appointment, and yes, your replacement band is in stock at the store. Until I showed up without an appointment and they made me schedule an appointment for next week so one of their techs can verify my watch band was indeed broken despite me showing them it's in 2 pieces. I come back next week, and yep it's broken, but oh man we don't have that band in stock. We'll have to order it for you and you have to come pick it up in 2 weeks. No, we can't ship it to your house because reasons.

Anyway, apparently the 'lug' snapping off the solo loop band is a very known issue and they replaced it at no cost under warranty. When I got the replacement band, it looks like they changed the design of the solo loop. No longer are the snap-in lug parts plastic. It's all the stretchy material now, whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Iíve just discovered walkie talkie cause someone turned it on for me and waited and waited and waited until just now to say boooooo. Freaked me out.

Remind me why is walkie talkie a thing? Is it a relic from the skeuomorphism guy?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Iíve just discovered walkie talkie cause someone turned it on for me and waited and waited and waited until just now to say boooooo. Freaked me out.

Remind me why is walkie talkie a thing? Is it a relic from the skeuomorphism guy?

I use the walkie talkie thing at work with one of my coworkers. Itís cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get running
Start pumping your bunions, I'm coming
I'm the dumbest, who flamethrow your function to Funyons
Flame your crew quicker than Trump fucks his youngest
Now face the flame fuckers your fame and fate's done with

Boris Galerkin posted:

Relic from early-2000s Sprint

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

#JusticeForBreonnaTaylor
#BlackLivesMatter
#StillIRise
#Blessed

Endless Mike posted:

Relic from early-2000s Sprint

Nextel, baby.

Clark Nova
Jul 17, 2004

lol I just remembered I had a friend whose grandmother paid for her nextel phone and plan so that the woman could just start yammering at her without her having to actually answer the phone. It's a great setup if you like to trample boundaries

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It's actually part of the iDEN spec, which Nextel used prior to their merger with Sprint and their network integration.

You will be shocked to learn that Motorola of commercial large deployment 2-way radio fame at the time developed the spec, which was in fact used by operators other than Nextel, including in the US.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

#JusticeForBreonnaTaylor
#BlackLivesMatter
#StillIRise
#Blessed

I am, in fact, not shocked

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Burn the 'dawgs
Kill the Yellowjackets
Purge the Tiger
It is better to die for Bama than to live for yourself

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

lol I just remembered I had a friend whose grandmother paid for her nextel phone and plan so that the woman could just start yammering at her without her having to actually answer the phone. It's a great setup if you like to trample boundaries

You only start blathering if youíre an rear end in a top hat. Proper etiquette is to do the single beep and await a response from the beepíd. The old manís power company was using Nextel until like the mid 2010s. He was pissed they gave him an iPhone for a few months and now is inseparable from the thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My Apple Watch series 5 40 mm is at 83% battery health and that seems to be barely enough to last the day, with it hitting around 10% when I go to sleep. The battery graph is just a steady sloping line. This is... not great.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

My Apple Watch series 5 40 mm is at 83% battery health and that seems to be barely enough to last the day, with it hitting around 10% when I go to sleep. The battery graph is just a steady sloping line. This is... not great.

Just curious, where do you see your battery health ?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's under settings->battery on the watch.

My series 4 I bought at launch is at 88%, I'd just go crab at Apple about the dud battery they put in your watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'd just go crab at Apple about the dud battery they put in your watch.

Lol good luck with that if itís an S5.

No Iím not salty.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Man, I got my S3 replaced in summer 2019 with AppleCare+ and it still reports 100%. Feels like it, too. The battery on the old one was noticeably weak at that point, so I guess this has been a definite upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get running

My Series 4 that was a few months after launch is at 87% and it's not great. I've been having days where it hits red around 10 PM, which is at least fine for me usage, but not ideal. I'm definitely getting a Series 7 in the fall. Might gently caress around and get an Edition edition if it's titanium again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

sets off a "weirdly specific fetish artwork" vibe

I'm considering if getting a smartwatch would help reduce my phone usage. This is absurd on the face of it but, it seems like a cell enabled smartwatch has all the things I need a smart device for in the modern world (being reachable in an emergency, GPS, contactless payments etc) to the point I can leave my phone at home but without social media and so on.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 31, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

massive spider posted:

I'm considering if getting a smartwatch would help reduce my phone usage. This is absurd on the face of it but, it seems like a cell enabled smartwatch has all the things I need a smart device for in the modern world (being reachable in an emergency, GPS, contactless payments etc) to the point I can leave my phone at home but without social media and so on.

Thatís an interesting idea! Also you can load some music/podcasts on and listen via Bluetooth earbuds (airpods etc) without needing the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the fundamental selling point of the cellular watch, just be aware the battery life is going to be garbage if you spend any significant amount of time out of range of your phone. It was "intended" to be used for ~1 hour runs with your phone at home.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Tim is just pitying me now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Great

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have to exercise for 80 minutes a day for a total of 2400 minutes. What the hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get running

I have to close all three rings 15 times. This *should* happen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

#JusticeForBreonnaTaylor
#BlackLivesMatter
#StillIRise
#Blessed

Tim, again, I am begging you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

fourwood posted:

Tim is just pitying me now.

This was mine for April too

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

How much spread is there between Solo Loop sizes, is it 1:1 to a Sport band notch?

A while ago I used the little DIY paper measuring tool for the Solo Loop, and I landed as perfectly on the line between two sizes as you could possibly get. I followed the instructions and ordered the smaller of the two.

It ended up just a little bit too tight and I sent it back, and now I'm wondering if going up a size would be overcorrecting and it'd be too loose.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

At the end of 2018, a study was published by London Metropolitan University showing that certain bacteria, normally present only in intestinal tracts or feces, were found on McDonald's self-service screens.

kitten smoothie posted:

How much spread is there between Solo Loop sizes, is it 1:1 to a Sport band notch?

A while ago I used the little DIY paper measuring tool for the Solo Loop, and I landed as perfectly on the line between two sizes as you could possibly get. I followed the instructions and ordered the smaller of the two.

It ended up just a little bit too tight and I sent it back, and now I'm wondering if going up a size would be overcorrecting and it'd be too loose.

That's my solo loop story. The 'correct' size ended up being a hare too small. Went up to the next size and it's right one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Thatís weird. I ended up on the line between 7 and 8, and I got the 8. It ended up being hilariously way too big and it was a colossal pain in the rear end to exchange it for a 7. When I finally got my 7, it fit great for a few months. Then it stretched out a bit and made me wonder if I should have gotten a 6 and dealt with it being too tight for a month or two.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Must be nice to have color choice. I had a choice in black or blue in the sport loop and it barely fits over my wrist. That's the only extra large band

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

kitten smoothie posted:

The paper tool gave me the 7, it felt a little too loose, my roommate got the 6 and that felt a little loose too, considering I want to wear it for running too. I may get the 5 if I ever get another solo loop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sport loops for $18

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/634841

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Considering that poo poo stretches out relatively quickly, and that when the protective coating rubs off that it'll cause skin irritations, I wonder why everyone springs for these solo loops instead of the nylon sports loops.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

#JusticeForBreonnaTaylor
#BlackLivesMatter
#StillIRise
#Blessed

Nearly all sold out and up to $30 now.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011

Fun Shoe

Not again

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lollin at the misfortune of having to workout 90 minutes a day

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

At the end of 2018, a study was published by London Metropolitan University showing that certain bacteria, normally present only in intestinal tracts or feces, were found on McDonald's self-service screens.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering that poo poo stretches out relatively quickly, and that when the protective coating rubs off that it'll cause skin irritations, I wonder why everyone springs for these solo loops instead of the nylon sports loops.

That's not been my experience at all with the one I have. Were there quality control issues with some batches of them?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

No idea, just things I read on various forums about the watch.

Also, I sure hope they'll (iOS 15?) eventually allow to change the notification sounds on the watch. I'm lately getting messaged a lot and that Ding! sound starts driving me up a wall. loving Apple. --edit: Complaints on macrumors.com going back to 2015, I guess that'll change exactly never. Again, loving Apple. I mean, what the hell?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 5, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, sound notifications were the first thing I disabled on my watch. Muted phone/watch 24/7 crew.

Protocol7
Jul 26, 2012

Cyber Hellcat is not amused

Wow, sound notifications were the first thing I disabled on my watch. Muted phone/watch 24/7 crew.

Sometimes itís easy to miss a phone vibration in your pocket. I donít have that problem when the thing vibrating is strapped to my wrist.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I basically have 0 idea how the watch behaves when itís not muted because Iíve had my watch for over 3 years and silenced it out of frustration on day, like, 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I too am part of the #AlwaysMuteCrew