Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I know I’m far from the first person to say this but ugh the watch faces are so underwhelming. What I want is like 70-80% achievable with a few different faces but with no way to customize that last 20-30%. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is probably such an obvious answer that I can’t believe I’m asking it, but with the new “always on” screens, can you still enable the old “off when inactive” behaviour to mimic my S5?

I’m anxious to replace my watch this year but for some reason I just like the idea of raise-to-read still being there.

I say obvious, but I’ve known Apple to remove other no-brainer functionality under guise of “we know better than you” so maybe I’m justified in asking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

This is probably such an obvious answer that I can’t believe I’m asking it, but with the new “always on” screens, can you still enable the old “off when inactive” behaviour to mimic my S5?
Yes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Always On is currently just a toggle in the Apple Watch app/Display settings.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

are there any decent prepaid plans that can be used with a cellular apple watch in the US? the only one i can find is Visible, which is a verizon mvno -- and from what i read, verizon mvnos are about as bad as it gets with data de-prioritization and throttling and should be avoided. i'd be more interested if there were a similar option on at&t or t-mobile's network, but i can't find anything.

i've been thinking about getting a cellular apple watch to take with me when i go running, instead of my iphone 13 pro, which is awkward and heavy to run with in a pocket or armband. i'd love to be able to just have a watch to stream music, track my run, and have the ability to make a call in an emergency.

i'd gladly pay the extra $10/mo or whatever for the monthly cellular coverage, but i'm on a t-mobile prepaid plan right now ($25/mo), and there's no option to add a watch. they force you to upgrade to a $70+/mo magenta postpaid plan to add a watch, and it seems all the other major carriers do the same. i'd end up paying more like $50/mo extra to add a watch due to the forced plan upgrade, and that is definitely too much. at that price, i could just buy a smaller, lighter iphone se, activate it on a barebones prepaid plan at $10 or $15/mo, and take that with me when i go running instead. kinda ridiculous.

sorry if this has been answered already, haven't been following this thread. skimmed back a few pages and didn't see anything.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

My solo loop has a small cut right in the middle of the band, so I fear its life is limited now. Is there a knockoff one worth buying, or is this a case of don't be a cheapskate on the thing holding onto your expensive watch?

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 14, 2022

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Are you really worried about throttling on a watch???

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Kalman posted:

not the watch, but yes for the phone that has to be on the same carrier and plan as the watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

They just want to be thorough about not making another bad purchase.

Bad Purchase posted:

not the watch, but yes for the phone that has to be on the same carrier and plan as the watch

What carrier do you have now ? If you’re on postpaid it’s $10 a month to add the watch.

Prepaid is hit or miss. Verizon prepaid straight up doesn’t do apple watches (they still have not rolled out eSIM for prepaid in any capacity). Not sure about others.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

PirateDentist posted:

My solo loop has a small cut right in the middle of the band, so I fear its life is limited now. Is there a knockoff one worth buying, or is this a case of don't be a cheapskate on the thing holding onto your expensive watch?

I have had mixed luck with knock off bands irritating my skin. The knock off band brands seems to rotate through randomly generated names on Amazon, so recommendations rarely remain valid for long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The knockoff solo loops I’ve had always pull apart from the lugs after a while from all the stretching from putting it on and taking it off. I finally said screw it and paid $50 for a band :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

They just want to be thorough about not making another bad purchase.

What carrier do you have now ? If you’re on postpaid it’s $10 a month to add the watch.

Prepaid is hit or miss. Verizon prepaid straight up doesn’t do apple watches (they still have not rolled out eSIM for prepaid in any capacity). Not sure about others.

I'm on T-mobile prepaid (T-mobile connect). I've checked AT&T and Verizon prepaid options, and they don't have watch options either. Only the postpaid plans do, and those start around $65 or $70/mo for a single line, compared to the $25/mo I'm paying now. I'd gladly pay $10/mo for watch service, but not if I have to pay an additional $40/mo extra for the phone plan that goes with it.

I'm not totally opposed to trying an MVNO instead of one of the big 3 carriers, but I would prefer to avoid Verizon MVNOs specifically. And unfortunately, the only MVNO I could find that supports the apple watch is Visible which uses Verizon's network.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

I'm on T-mobile prepaid (T-mobile connect). I've checked AT&T and Verizon prepaid options, and they don't have watch options either. Only the postpaid plans do, and those start around $65 or $70/mo for a single line, compared to the $25/mo I'm paying now. I'd gladly pay $10/mo for watch service, but not if I have to pay an additional $40/mo extra for the phone plan that goes with it.

I'm not totally opposed to trying an MVNO instead of one of the big 3 carriers, but I would prefer to avoid Verizon MVNOs specifically. And unfortunately, the only MVNO I could find that supports the apple watch is Visible which uses Verizon's network.

I mean, honestly I would just stick to a Bluetooth watch. I pay $5 a month for my watch (employee discount) and I rarely use the cell service.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The knockoff solo loops I’ve had always pull apart from the lugs after a while from all the stretching from putting it on and taking it off. I finally said screw it and paid $50 for a band :(

That's kinda what I was thinking, a lot of reviews have been super mixed as well... I have a stainless 7 series so I shouldn't risk the expensive thing to save a comparatively small amount.

doingitwrong posted:

I have had mixed luck with knock off bands irritating my skin. The knock off band brands seems to rotate through randomly generated names on Amazon, so recommendations rarely remain valid for long.

And that's the nail in the coffin. I've had irritation due to weird stuff before, not going to risk that. Thanks all.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, honestly I would just stick to a Bluetooth watch. I pay $5 a month for my watch (employee discount) and I rarely use the cell service.

my original post that started this discussion explained why i was hoping for a cellular option - i’d like to not need to take my phone with me when i run, but still have the option to stream music and podcasts and make a call in an emergency. a watch would be perfect, except for the lack of good carrier options / pricing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How much data do you normally use in a month? Throttling usually happens after a decent threshold, for me it's 20gb on Xfinity Mobile and I never come close to using that much.

Can't speak to traffic deprioritization.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm not worried about throttling after a data cap, i just want to avoid deprioritization, specifically on carriers that use verizon's network since that seems to get the most complaints.

xfinity mobile also uses verizon, but i did find this interesting info:

quote:

QCI 8 is assigned to postpaid plans (other than Start Unlimited), Xfinity Mobile's By The Gig plan, Xfinity Mobile's Unlimited plan (this requires an additional $20 for their HD Pass which also includes 1080p video streaming).
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/oaophe/data_prioritization_policies_of_the_carriers_and/

if that's still accurate, xfinity would have the same data priority as verizon postpaid. their plan pricing is pretty terrible, but it's still better than a postpaid plan directly from att, t-mobile, or verizon.

i may give them a shot, thanks!

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I tried Xfinity Mobile and it seemed pretty horrible. I haven't tried Verizon proper in my area but going Xfinity Mobile was not worth the cost savings from my T-Mobile plan at all.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what was horrible about it? just the verizon network in general, or something specific that xfinity did?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm almost certain it was not prioritized as high as postpaid plans because I could never achieve higher than single digit data speeds. Granted I don't know what Verizon is like in my area, and T-Mobile is spotty, but at least it's quick when it does work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hmm, thanks for that data point. do you happen to remember which xfinity plan you had? if that reddit post is right, the "by the gig" plans should not be deprioritized, but the unlimited plan would be unless you pay an extra $20/mo for the HD data pass.

edit: looking at the numbers more closely, the only way xfinity would make sense for me would be the 3GB for $30/mo plan. the 10 GB for $60 is too much, and the $45 unlimited + $20 HD data pass bumps it up to the same price as an entry level postpaid plan with the major carriers. i could probably squeak by under 3 GB per month, though, at least while i'm still working from home most of the time. my current usage is right around there and i could easily be a bit more careful about avoiding youtube and stuff when i'm away from home to clamp down on my usage.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 16, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I did do the Unlimited plan with the HD data pass.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hmm, well that's a shame. thanks again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

my original post that started this discussion explained why i was hoping for a cellular option - i’d like to not need to take my phone with me when i run, but still have the option to stream music and podcasts and make a call in an emergency. a watch would be perfect, except for the lack of good carrier options / pricing.

Right, and I get that and agree.

But to get that feature, you’re gonna have to pay $30-50 more a month. So honestly, is $30-50 more a month worth not taking your phone with you on runs? If so, switch , If not , don’t.

Sucks, but US carriers have a bunch of features like this locked behind postpaid so they make a lot more money. Not your fault, but that’s what it is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I might have just been lucky with Xfinity Mobile or my entire family uses wifi more than we realize. Obviously single line accounts miss a lot of the savings. My wife and MIL share 3 GB so they get away with 2 phones and 2 watches for $50/mo total data costs which is ridiculously great.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I underrated the official Apple watch bands a little.
Bought a few 3rd party bands, most leather with a stainless steel and milanese also, and a breathable sports band with a pin and tuck mechanism.

I rotate the bands daily from the sports band to one of the others. A lot of detaching and attaching to the watch.
The sports band is starting to break apart at the connection to the watch. It's also a gunky cheap type of silicone.
The official apple version isn't as breathable (no holes like the Nike sports band) but the custom fluoroelastomer is super soft and smooth to the touch in comparison.
The 3rd party leather bands are all decent enough but the 3rd party silicon sports band is just cheap and nasty.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have a Thunderbolt 4 port on my Dell laptop. Can I charge an apple watch with this? I don't know how these newfangled USB protocols work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kreeningsons posted:

I have a Thunderbolt 4 port on my Dell laptop. Can I charge an apple watch with this? I don't know how these newfangled USB protocols work.

Sure, it's basically just USB-C with extra bandwidth for geek poo poo.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I got my daughter an Apple Watch and I’d like to put a couple fun apps and/or games on that are suitable for a 10 year old.

I’ve added night sky but so far that’s it.

Any thoughts?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughters like Coloring Watch. They body use it to help calm down.

Other than that, they love the walk-in talkie feature.

I am able to do this and they think I am hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbohoPItpqs

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I suspect I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway… can the Apple Watch charge on a normal QI charger, or only on the curved magnetic puck charger?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

beuges posted:

I suspect I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway… can the Apple Watch charge on a normal QI charger, or only on the curved magnetic puck charger?

AFAIK it works only on the magical apple puck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Recently started noticing some of the complications like the timer and workout are contained inside a very dim grey circle that I don’t remember being there. Am I remembering wrong or did this change? It looks kind of bad.

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

Recently started noticing some of the complications like the timer and workout are contained inside a very dim grey circle that I don’t remember being there. Am I remembering wrong or did this change? It looks kind of bad.

Does a reboot fix it? I’m not seeing it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting, will try rebooting. It looks like this:

I guess this is not new:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250013956

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I have an AW6 since release and these have always been there AFAIK.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Oh yeah, I’ve got that. Sorry, it’s been there so long I didn’t even realize it hadn’t been there at one point.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife bought a cellular SE at Walmart. However, the guy working there told her that Apple is going to Revoke the SE license so she should not get a an SE with cellular, but she should get the SE 2 (which they do not have) or just a GPS version.

Was this guy just drunk or high or is there something about Apple no longer selling the SE with cellular?

Violator
May 15, 2003

He’s talking bullshit. The SE2 hasn’t even been announced yet and probably won’t be until the fall and old Watches aren’t going to stop working on the cell network. That’s like saying an iPhone 12 (same time frame as the SE launch I think) will quit working because a newer phone came out.

Violator fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife bought a cellular SE at Walmart. However, the guy working there told her that Apple is going to Revoke the SE license so she should not get a an SE with cellular, but she should get the SE 2 (which they do not have) or just a GPS version.

Was this guy just drunk or high or is there something about Apple no longer selling the SE with cellular?

This is the dumbest thing ever.

Apple has never “revoked” a license or whatever the dude is saying.

The SE is fantastic and they’d have to really wow me with the 8 to get me to upgrade and I’m someone who upgrades their phones every year.