Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Actually really enjoying the new heart rate zone metrics that is shown on one of the the workout screens now. Also being able to swipe up/down to see different screens is great.
Yeah is nice. Switching screens using the crown is terrible AF for some reason, tho.

I wish you could change the strength of the haptics for interval notifications. I barely notice the recovery one when running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah is nice. Switching screens using the crown is terrible AF for some reason, tho.

I wish you could change the strength of the haptics for interval notifications. I barely notice the recovery one when running.

Oh I always just swipe to change screens. Seems easier than fiddling with the crown. I’ve only done HIIT workouts so far, so I haven’t tried out the interval thing yet, but it sounds awesome.

Notification animations stutter quite a bit on my S6. I’m hoping it’s just an early beta thing, because if they keep the same SoC on the S8, yikes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
is there a way to keep the screen on my apple watch from turning on when i have it charging on a table and the table vibrates at all? i cant figure out if it thinks it's on a wrist being raised or wtf

i got one of the cute lil old mac docks (https://www.amazon.com/elago-Nightstand-Original-Design-Pending/dp/B01MYNE2BM) and it is still doing this which is annoying, was hoping if would stop if it wasn't flat on a surface...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

abraham linksys posted:

is there a way to keep the screen on my apple watch from turning on when i have it charging on a table and the table vibrates at all? i cant figure out if it thinks it's on a wrist being raised or wtf

i got one of the cute lil old mac docks (https://www.amazon.com/elago-Nightstand-Original-Design-Pending/dp/B01MYNE2BM) and it is still doing this which is annoying, was hoping if would stop if it wasn't flat on a surface...

I think it's meant to do that. I give it the old bedside table shove if I want to know the time at night.

If you don't care about that, does turning off Bedside Mode in Settings > General help?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah if it's charging the only setting related to screen stuff is that bedside mode toggle

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bobstar posted:

I think it's meant to do that. I give it the old bedside table shove if I want to know the time at night.

If you don't care about that, does turning off Bedside Mode in Settings > General help?

ah, yup, that does it. that makes sense (the screen is too bright to just be on 100% of the time if youre trying to sleep, after all). do kinda wish it would still use the nightstand mode ui when charging so i can see how much its charged easily but w/e; it charges fast enough i don't really have to think about it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

abraham linksys posted:

Turn off nightstand mode. It will light up with a tap and is hella convenient when using it on the nightstand and checking the time in the middle of the night by tapping the nightstand.

Fake edit: wayyy beaten

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is there a 1st party way to update my weight in Health through the watch? Am I just being daft? I feel like I’ve looked around a fair amount and haven’t found anything. I’m on watchOS 9 with an S7 if it matters. Just, like, a quick way to jot some numbers in after getting off a scale…

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Using the shortcuts app, you can make a shortcut that prompts you for a number which it then writes to Health.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Using the shortcuts app, you can make a shortcut that prompts you for a number which it then writes to Health.
I’ll play around with this I guess, thanks. I have one on my phone to do just that but it doesn’t show up in Shortcuts.app on my watch. :(

e: that might be because that switch isn’t flipped to have it on the watch. will report back

e2: nope, the watch says ‘Could not run “<shortcut name>” This action requires an app to be installed.” Cmon Tim. But a quick googling at least turned up a Reddit post of someone with the same problem saying it was working fine on watchOS 8, so I’ll chalk it up to beta jank. Thanks again.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Siri feature on my watch has started doing a thing where it lights up like it's listening, and then despite speaking directly into it like an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't hear me and I have to do it two or three times, which makes this bourgeois feature somewhat useless. This is more and more frequent. Is there just some fuzz in the microphone, do I need to reboot the watch somehow (how?), or what.

No other problems as far as I can tell!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nessus posted:

The Siri feature on my watch has started doing a thing where it lights up like it's listening, and then despite speaking directly into it like an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't hear me and I have to do it two or three times, which makes this bourgeois feature somewhat useless. This is more and more frequent. Is there just some fuzz in the microphone, do I need to reboot the watch somehow (how?), or what.

No other problems as far as I can tell!

Did you try turning it off and back on again.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So the Apple Watch is water ‘resistant’ rather than waterproof. What’s peoples experience with taking it swimming at the beach etc? Would be useful to have a payment method with me sometimes.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sri.Theo posted:

So the Apple Watch is water ‘resistant’ rather than waterproof. What’s peoples experience with taking it swimming at the beach etc? Would be useful to have a payment method with me sometimes.

Don't quote me but I think the consensus was that it's waterproof to like 25m but they don't want to pay for the certification

From personal experience I can tell you that I've had a series 3, 5, and 7, swam with them in a pool dozens of time, the sea twice, and I shower with my watch every day after the gym and I've never had the slightest issue.

I always make sure to put it into waterproof mode and only take it out once it's dry

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I keep reading about people showering with it every day. So, soapy water (reduced surface tension) and steam and all that jazz. Not hearing much complains about watches breaking.

(Personally I don't get the showering with it thing, since that's the optimal time to recharge it, but alas.)

That said, if it's a beach at the ocean, that's salt water, that might gently caress up things quicker than fresh water.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've worn mine in the ocean, in pools, showering, whatever. Works fine. Just make sure to turn on water mode and also rinse it off if you're going in the ocean.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I did all that as well with my Series 1 back in the day and never had a problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does water mode do, exactly?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

What does water mode do, exactly?

It turns off screen touches as the watch is prone to ghost taps when underwater. Which is why you turn it off by turning the crown.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Combat Pretzel posted:

I keep reading about people showering with it every day. So, soapy water (reduced surface tension) and steam and all that jazz. Not hearing much complains about watches breaking.

(Personally I don't get the showering with it thing, since that's the optimal time to recharge it, but alas.)

Ideally I'd charge it but I also want to wash the sweat off it and the band and showering will just do that

xzzy posted:

It turns off screen touches as the watch is prone to ghost taps when underwater. Which is why you turn it off by turning the crown.

It'll also blow out the speaker grills when you disable it to make sure no water gets in that way

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone a runner and trying out the beta? Curious if the new running metrics are worthwhile or just extra stuff I won’t use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I’ve taken multiple apple watches into pools, the sea, etc and it’s fine.

Small thing physics wise, but if you have the LTE watch and don’t have the phone on you, expect service to cut in and out while in the water.

I tried going to the local pool with just the watch and a Bluetooth speaker (no one was there to be annoyed by my music) and every time I went in the water it cut out.

This probably is logical in retrospect, but for whatever reason I didn’t expect it to cut that quickly.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Many many surfer's I know use them to surf. The watch itself is fine. The battery on the other hand dies very quickly when using GPS to track, and the screen is very hard to use in the water, so you try to use Siri, but then you can't really hear anyone you call anyway. So it's not great. But as far as waterproof, yes it's fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Anyone a runner and trying out the beta? Curious if the new running metrics are worthwhile or just extra stuff I won’t use.

The new heart zone stuff is really neat. I haven’t played with the run planning stuff though.

Also, in watchOS 9, they changed the water lock from turning the crown to holding the crown in for 5 secs or so. I like it better since my crown tends to get turned and water lock accidentally being disabled while I play hockey.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

What I love is every time I do swim, the watch is like “Hey, it looks like you’re swimming, want to start a swimming workout?” with a big green button that you can’t press.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
FWIW when i bought my 3 or 4 in store the employee told me he goes surfing with it and on top of that theres watersports in the workouts. Also Tim said he wears it in the shower with his S0 or something. I shower with it all the time to get the sweat out too. Never had a watch break.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I hosed up the microphone and speakers on my s3 by taking it in the shower. They replaced it under applecare, I stopped doing that, and occasional swimming and immersion since then hasn't caused any problems.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sometimes it gets dirty. :shrug:

I don’t usually shower with it but, like, if I go on a particular sweaty jog or something I’ll shower with it on. Hasn’t failed on me yet.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I finally got one of these and I can’t even make it play the power rangers communicator sound when my bald friends call?! What’s the point?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Glimpse posted:

What I love is every time I do swim, the watch is like “Hey, it looks like you’re swimming, want to start a swimming workout?” with a big green button that you can’t press.

Lol that’s great. So you disengage water lock, and can’t hit the green button because your screen is all wet.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I guess one could start the swimming workout before getting in the water as a complicated work around but I personally find myself swimming unplanned all the time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Falling in the lake isn’t a workout.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my friends are always pushing me in the pool, those darn jokers

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sometimes you forget to turn it on

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I get annoyed when I forget to turn on cycling but in the end I’ve just missed some numbers going up. I’ve got the real benefit.

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011
I wore mine in the pool every day. One day it went berserk as soon as it touched the water, then died. It was under warranty, but Apple wouldn’t fix it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cool Uncle posted:

I wore mine in the pool every day. One day it went berserk as soon as it touched the water, then died. It was under warranty, but Apple wouldn’t fix it.

That’s basically in the fine print. If the LCIs get triggered it’s not covered. It does suck and they should still cover it since that means the water proofing poo poo didn’t last long enough.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that poo poo sucks. They advertise water resistance on the watch and the phone, but if it’s water damage, they tell you to pound sand. Super lame, especially on a watch that’s marketed toward water sports (yeah yeah).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that poo poo sucks. They advertise water resistance on the watch and the phone, but if it’s water damage, they tell you to pound sand. Super lame, especially on a watch that’s marketed toward water sports (yeah yeah).

On the watch, unless there's glass cracks or gaps due to denting, water damage is covered as the watches are proper waterproof.

Phones are water resistant, which is not a promise which means they're not covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I went from S2 to S7, but just kept throwing my watch on the old charger by my bed. Does the USB-C one that came with it charge the watch faster? If so, what wattage of charger can it make use of?