Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Series 1 sits on my desk and one day I'm just going to chuck it.

Which honestly if I found a neat stand/display for it and it didn't lock it could be an interesting mini-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

I've been wondering the same, as far as I can tell there's not any indicator that the watch is fast charging or not though. :(

Real missed opportunity from Apple here. Just some fast charging icon on the charging screen would be nice to see if everything is working.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

The watches lose value very quickly. You basically have two paths: Trade/sell and upgrade every year or use it until you can't install the next OS.

This is exactly how I treat my Apple Watch, and I learned long ago that I shouldn't worry too much about scratching the watchface - this thing is eventually going to be inoperable before I replace it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

To add to the Sleep chat, I do think Apple needs to rethink some things about Sleep Focus.

For one, I’d like the option to keep my iPhone 14 Pro’s and/or watch’s AOD _on_ even if I’m in Sleep Focus. It’s nice to just crack one eyelid and see that it’s 3:54am without moving my body at all and going right back to sleep. This should be an option.

For the tracking, I find this annoying: I have a 7am Sleep Focus Alarm, but last Saturday had no reason to get outta bed just yet and we were snuggly. I could keep Sleep tracking going by snoozing every 9 minutes from the Focus alarm, but that didn’t sound enticing, so I shut down sleep mode and turned on my 7:30am regular alarm and slept ’til then.

According to the Sleep stats, no, I hard woke up with the alarm at 7, it stopped tracking the minute I went out of Sleep Focus.

This is stupid.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So I ended up grabbing an Ultra. Went to an Apple Store to try it and satisfy my curiosity and ended up walking out with a trail loop Ultra. Found I really liked the design and with my thick wrists it doesn't look comically oversized. Had it for about a week, so I figured I'd throw out some thoughts for anyone curious.

1. It really is surprisingly light for it's size. Coupled with the trail loop, I easily forget its there. More so than my SS 44mm and sports loop.
2. Seriously love the trail loop and hope they make non-Ultra versions. It's going to be my default watch band going forward if they do.
3. Yay battery life and fast charging. It's nice to basically never have to think about the battery. I usually charge through out the evening, but with fast charging it's basically done in the time it takes me to shower. And with the extra battery life, if I forget to do it one night (heck I could probably stretch two nights) no worries. And it still charges back up in about the same time period.
4. It looks and feels more like a normal watch to me, someone who likes metal mechanical watches.
5. The protective metal ridge is nice for a klutz like me, who is prone to knocking their wrist into a corner fairly regularly. Though the ridge does cause some problems.
6. The thickness of the watch + the protective ridge around the screen will get in the way from time to time. For example: When I'm doing shoulder mobility stretches, I have to either spin the watch face inwards or take off the watch. Otherwise I get to go through the stretch with the watch digging into my skin. Similarly, I've found there are some arm placements when lying on my side that are a no go due to discomfort from the watch.

Still on the fence about if I'll keep it or not. As a wear all the time activity tracker, the rounded design of the standard Apple watch is better and the main thing I'm liking is the fast charging. So I could just go down to a Series 7. But even with the occasional comfort issues, I'm finding I really like the Ultra's design.

And seriously, Apple needs to replace the entire Sport Loop line with Trail Loop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My stainless series zero is in my car console I think. Definitely overpaid for that. Now with my series 4 I don’t see a need to upgrade right now, or possibly ever as long as it works. Which then makes me think a stainless series 8 might not be a bad idea as I could use it for a long time.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

went ahead and switched my cell service to visible so that i could add a cellular apple watch without paying for postpaid, and so far so good. signal seems fine, fast data, and no detectable throttling yet. i did pick their more expensive $45/mo plan specifically because it's supposed to have premium data and not get throttled or deprio'd. it's more expensive than my old prepaid plan, but still $20-30/mo cheaper than equivalent postpaid plans.

i went out for an hour with just the watch and tried streaming a podcast. the cell reception on the watch is definitely much much weaker than an iphone. there were some 1 minute+ gaps where it was just completely dead, no data at all. also my one attempt to send an imessage came back as undeliverable, though i was eventually able to get it through as SMS. i'll have to figure out how to get music playlists and podcasts preloaded on the watch before runs in the future. it's not quite clear to me yet how to figure out what's stored on my watch vs what's on my phone.

also, an hour with workout enabled and a podcast streaming over cellular to bluetooth earbuds killed 30% of the battery, and that's with the always-on display setting disabled. understandable, but i guess i won't be tracking any marathons (not that i could run one anyway). maybe low power mode would help though.

anyway, pretty happy overall. it's not perfect, but this is good enough to free myself from a phone pouch or armband on runs.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm torn on which Apple Watch I'd like to get - Stainless Steel Series 8, or Ultra. For context, in the past I've had an aluminum Series 0, and an aluminum Series 4. The Ion-X glass on my S4 got covered in micro-scratches so I would appreciate the sapphire glass on the higher-end models.

The Stainless Steel would be the 'classier' option, and could more easily integrate with about any outfit.

The Ultra would more closely match my 'default' style (when I'm wearing a normal watch, 95% of the time it's a G-Shock), and I love the chunky/ruggedized look. My main intended fitness use case is hiking, so that syncs up too. But I feel like any attempts to dress the watch up would be awkward at best.

Also, what do you all think about AppleCare on the higher end models - do the more durable materials make it less 'worth it'? I had AC+ on my aluminum S4 and never actually needed it, but it was nice knowing it was there whenever I accidentally banged into a doorknob.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

have you had a look at the ultra in person, because those things are giant

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

marktheando posted:

have you had a look at the ultra in person, because those things are giant

I have, and it was fantastic

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Illusive Man posted:

I'm torn on which Apple Watch I'd like to get - Stainless Steel Series 8, or Ultra. For context, in the past I've had an aluminum Series 0, and an aluminum Series 4. The Ion-X glass on my S4 got covered in micro-scratches so I would appreciate the sapphire glass on the higher-end models.

The Stainless Steel would be the 'classier' option, and could more easily integrate with about any outfit.

The Ultra would more closely match my 'default' style (when I'm wearing a normal watch, 95% of the time it's a G-Shock), and I love the chunky/ruggedized look. My main intended fitness use case is hiking, so that syncs up too. But I feel like any attempts to dress the watch up would be awkward at best.

Also, what do you all think about AppleCare on the higher end models - do the more durable materials make it less 'worth it'? I had AC+ on my aluminum S4 and never actually needed it, but it was nice knowing it was there whenever I accidentally banged into a doorknob.

I'd still get AC+ tbh

I know that on my Ti S6, I actually have a better deal for AC+, as Edition watches came with 2 years of warranty, so my S6 still has coverage until next year

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Illusive Man posted:

you must have bigger wrists than me

the only other information i can offer is that my series 8 is great, fantastic upgrade from my S3. i didn't go for the stainless steel though.

my history with applecare is i have bought it a few times over the years, but only had problems with devices i didn't get it for, so have zero experience of actually using it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Illusive Man posted:

Then get the ultra and AC+ imo

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Cool, thanks for the recs all. Also, yeah, just looked at the repair cost for an Ultra without AC+... the extra upfront cost is worth not worrying about that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is there a way to get the music app on the watch to stop advertising to me? i can't find any settings for it.

when i start streaming music on my phone now, my watch seems to automatically show the music app instead of the clock face when i lift my wrist. while that's a little annoying, i can live with it, but for whatever reason it doesn't even show me controls for what's playing. instead it just has some ad for a playlist or album that i've never listened to which i have to swipe away every single time.

all week it's been showing me this, and i can't help but do a double take every time i see it because my eyes instantly scan the word "RAPE". a very unfortunate ad design, and it's enough that i want to find a way to tell the app to stop making my default view an ad. the music app on my phone and mac don't do this, only the watch for some reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it’s the Auto Launch setting under General category on the watch.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

smackfu posted:

I think it’s the Auto Launch setting under General category on the watch.

cool, didn't know about that one. that helps. when i manually launch the music app it still shows me the ad, but at least i'll see it less now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I tried the ultra on yesterday and I actually really liked it.

My wife liked it a lot more over the SE so maybe I’ll get one for Christmas or something.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So does the Series 8 actually last longer battery wise than the Series 7? I remember even out of the box the 7 would need a charge every night. With the 8 I think I've gotten almost 2 days usage out of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have a launch date Series 7 and I put it on at 8 AM and it is currently at 55% battery at 8 PM. And I did a 35 minute workout. So that is pretty good IMHO.

(Battery health is 95%.)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the 7 and 8 have the same battery size, cpu, and (i think) screen so the battery life should basically be the same. there are a couple minor differences like the updated sensor for crash detection and the thermometers, so the 8 might be a little worse depending on how much those use. probably negligible.

i have a 7 (41 mm, cellular) right now and it's currently at 60% after about 20 hours of use including a 45 minute workout, so ~2 days seems doable. i do have the always on display disabled though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

So does the Series 8 actually last longer battery wise than the Series 7? I remember even out of the box the 7 would need a charge every night. With the 8 I think I've gotten almost 2 days usage out of it.

Watch 7 and 8 have the exact same CPU, screen and battery. It's likely just a fresh battery giving you the difference.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't compare to a 7, but I can never resist knocking an unsolicited, anecdotal month-in report out. My S8 has been comfortably relegated back to an "I don't have to think about it" device, which is exactly where a watch should be. Coming from my S4 where I'd be worried about making it home from work or a day out and about with any juice left to space, I'll pop it back on the nightstand at 8 or so with 40-50% battery left on the reg. Zero doubt that I could stretch that overnight if I know I'm going to be away from a charger and have to crash at a hotel or something, pop battery saver on and be fairly confident it'll still make it home OK.

Of course none of this is critical. I use my watch primarily for telling time and applepay, but both of those also exist on my phone (though the phone is its own source of battery worries as it's an old XS lol), and in those situations above I'll always have my wallet on me, so really it's just a psychological thing at that point, not a practical "oh poo poo how am I supposed to pay?"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Yeah I plan on selling my S7 so I'm going to probably take a look and see how well its battery has held. Maybe I was just doing the "recharge it every night regardless of battery" thing and it just stuck in my head that it needed a charge

Also I'm really annoyed that Apple is shuttering Dark Sky next year, I like their complications better than the default Apple Weather ones.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Are there any default recommendations for metal link bands (preferably in a finish that would pair well with the Ultra)? A lot of the ones on Amazon seem suspiciously cheap, while other more ‘boutique’ offerings are nearly as expensive as Apple’s metal link band.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Illusive Man posted:

Are there any default recommendations for metal link bands (preferably in a finish that would pair well with the Ultra)? A lot of the ones on Amazon seem suspiciously cheap, while other more ‘boutique’ offerings are nearly as expensive as Apple’s metal link band.

I would absolutely spring for the Apple metal link band. The space black band Is virtually indestructible.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
BRO I tried on the huge chunky new crapple watch and as soon as it touched my wrist I’m GONE!!!!!! What’s the battery life on that little number!!?? Cant say I like the idea of dropping an 8 piece on it but BOY was it NICE!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nom epique posted:

BRO I tried on the huge chunky new crapple watch and as soon as it touched my wrist I’m GONE!!!!!! What’s the battery life on that little number!!?? Cant say I like the idea of dropping an 8 piece on it but BOY was it NICE!

Yes.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

I just looked on the web site and it has “36 hours of battery with normal use”. Lol what the…. Barely more than a day bro????? Think my SE does those digits!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It'll get 60 if you use their lower power mode* that turns 95% of the useful features off!

*not available until later this year

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It'll get 60 if you use their lower power mode* that turns 95% of the useful features off!

*not available until later this year

That’s some android ish.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
What the heck did they do to this thing?! Made it way bigger without a shred of battery?!

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
FAIL!!!!

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Literally was expecting to see 5 days of battery…. The thing is a huge little number

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

nom epique posted:

Literally was expecting to see 5 days of battery…. The thing is a huge little number

Literally wondering how they did that. They powering the compass bro?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You should go post in the Student Loan Debt Forgiveness thread some more.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
:yikes:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

nom epique posted:

I just looked on the web site and it has “36 hours of battery with normal use”. Lol what the…. Barely more than a day bro????? Think my SE does those digits!

Still more longevity than the posting gimmick you’re trying really hard to get off the ground bud

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nom epique posted:

it's either cores humming or a week of battery, can't have both sad to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Combat Pretzel posted:

You should go post in the Student Loan Debt Forgiveness thread some more.

loving lol