Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I understand Apple can’t simultaneously manufacture 700 different colors/styles of bands, but it is a bit annoying that they’re treated like seasonal DLC unlocks. There’s no reason not to make straight-up black all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

What’s “funny” about the Watch Ultra is that it’s only $50 more than the 45mm Stainless Steel Series 8. I’d be far more inclined to get the Ultra than the Stainless Steel model given all the additional benefits the Ultra has for only an extra Grant.

I’d get it if it wasn’t so ridiculously huge. My baby wrists can’t have that much watch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d get it if it wasn’t so ridiculously huge. My baby wrists can’t have that much watch.

Have you tried one on? They don’t wear as big as they look imo.

Edit: I went out of town Sunday night and didn’t bother charging it that night. Forgot to get my charger out of my bag last night, so I’m on day three and the battery shows 32% remaining. That’s nice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought when it was announced, but changed my mind when I actually tried it on in the store and purchased it on the spot. Highly encourage you to at least try it in if you haven't!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

What’s “funny” about the Watch Ultra is that it’s only $50 more than the 45mm Stainless Steel Series 8. I’d be far more inclined to get the Ultra than the Stainless Steel model given all the additional benefits the Ultra has for only an extra Grant.

I mean this is the Tim Cook apple pricing ladder 101 - inching you up the chain until you end up getting the most expensive thing there is. The 45mm stainless steel apple watch series 8 is already the super luxury version of the more expensive version of the more expensive version of the newest apple watch.

edit: if we're talking benefits, 'lookin' snappy' is a big benefit of watch ownership - and while I concede that the ultra does in fact look snappy, I feel much more comfortable fashion-wise with my pairing of the green 41mm s7 + a gold milanese steel strap. All in all came to about 40% of the price of an ultra.

Honestly though I think the Pixel watch is still by far the nicest looking smartwatch. I do wonder if Apple will ever cave and make a circular watch.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I almost get lured into buying the expensive watch then I remember I prefer to buy a new $400 aluminum one every two years.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

smackfu posted:

I almost get lured into buying the expensive watch then I remember I prefer to buy a new $400 aluminum one every two years.

Obviously this thread is gonna be mostly the New Thing audience but it is worth pointing out that they're finally at a point with like the S6 onwards where people can hang onto their watches for a lot longer than that with a battery replacement here and there, barring any kind of future watchos update fiascos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought when it was announced, but changed my mind when I actually tried it on in the store and purchased it on the spot. Highly encourage you to at least try it in if you haven't!

I did! It was so obnoxiously large and bulky that it retroactively made my (at the time) current 45mm watch still feel too big. I left the store with a 41mm series 8 and I love it. If they ever do a 45mm I could maybe give it another look but at 49 it is entirely way too much watch.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

I mean this is the Tim Cook apple pricing ladder 101 - inching you up the chain until you end up getting the most expensive thing there is. The 45mm stainless steel apple watch series 8 is already the super luxury version of the more expensive version of the more expensive version of the newest apple watch.

edit: if we're talking benefits, 'lookin' snappy' is a big benefit of watch ownership - and while I concede that the ultra does in fact look snappy, I feel much more comfortable fashion-wise with my pairing of the green 41mm s7 + a gold milanese steel strap. All in all came to about 40% of the price of an ultra.

Honestly though I think the Pixel watch is still by far the nicest looking smartwatch. I do wonder if Apple will ever cave and make a circular watch.

I was perfectly happy with my blue aluminum Series 6 until I accidentally ordered the wrong version of a leather wrist strap which came with stainless steel hardware; and rather than being smart and just asking to exchange it, I decided to just use it, until my neurosis got to me so much that I upgraded to a stainless steel series 7.

Though I freely admit that I buy stupid versions of things purely for aesthetic reasons when I could otherwise save hundreds of dollars. This is how I’ll end up duping myself into the whatever the current Ultra variant is in 3 years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I can’t see them ever doing this because round is just so much less efficient/readable for presenting text. But I fully agree, round watches just look better.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there anywhere that makes custom braided solo loop knockoffs? I tried searching Etsy but can’t find a specific style I want. There’s a few in regular style bands and nylon bands but not what I want

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there anywhere that makes custom braided solo loop knockoffs? I tried searching Etsy but can’t find a specific style I want. There’s a few in regular style bands and nylon bands but not what I want

I bought some knockoff braided solo loops off amazon for like $5-6 for a three pack and they’ve surprisingly been pretty drat good! And have kept their elasticity / not worn out. They’re pretty good for running.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any podcast apps that work especially well with the watch? Overcast seems to be the go-to for iOS, but it seems to lose "Now Playing" focus pretty quickly, so I'm fiddling with buttons more often than I'd like (although I suppose that might be a system-level limitation? I'm on a 2019 model). Pocketcasts doesn't appear to let me browse what I've got on the phone.

I would have been fine with the default podcasts app, but it aggressively Airplays to the Apple TVs in the house (even with "Automatically AirPlay to TVs" toggled off). That's been enough of a pain that I'm willing to put up with whatever shortcomings a third-party app might have!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marco Arment (the creator of Overcast) has talked a lot about the challenges involved in making a Watch audio app, and honestly, it just sounds like a deliberate limitation of the device, unfortunately. Like most decisions for the Apple Watch, Apple seems keen to intentionally hamstring things if it will save battery.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Minidust posted:

Pocketcasts doesn't appear to let me browse what I've got on the phone.

I use PocketCasts as my daily podcast app and enjoy it. I use it everyday on my Watch and you can do a lot with it. Tap the upper left arrow to go back to the Play Source screen, select Phone, and then you can browse the Up Next queue, Filters, Downloads, and Files that are on your phone. I have filters setup by topic using auto-downloads so that is how I browse what to play instead of on a per-podcast basis. The Watch app may require a subscription to their PocketCasts Plus, so these functions may not be available in the free version.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Minidust posted:

Are there any podcast apps that work especially well with the watch? Overcast seems to be the go-to for iOS, but it seems to lose "Now Playing" focus pretty quickly, so I'm fiddling with buttons more often than I'd like (although I suppose that might be a system-level limitation? I'm on a 2019 model). Pocketcasts doesn't appear to let me browse what I've got on the phone.

I would have been fine with the default podcasts app, but it aggressively Airplays to the Apple TVs in the house (even with "Automatically AirPlay to TVs" toggled off). That's been enough of a pain that I'm willing to put up with whatever shortcomings a third-party app might have!

Spotify works really well on Apple Watch, and saves your progress in each podcast across all devices. I find it much better for music than the default media app on the watch too - you don't have to go through the convoluted process of opening up the 'iphone' version of your library, it's all just there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

Marco Arment (the creator of Overcast) has talked a lot about the challenges involved in making a Watch audio app, and honestly, it just sounds like a deliberate limitation of the device, unfortunately. Like most decisions for the Apple Watch, Apple seems keen to intentionally hamstring things if it will save battery.
Battery! Yeah I suppose I can see some logic there

Violator posted:

I use PocketCasts as my daily podcast app and enjoy it. I use it everyday on my Watch and you can do a lot with it. Tap the upper left arrow to go back to the Play Source screen, select Phone, and then you can browse the Up Next queue, Filters, Downloads, and Files that are on your phone. I have filters setup by topic using auto-downloads so that is how I browse what to play instead of on a per-podcast basis. The Watch app may require a subscription to their PocketCasts Plus, so these functions may not be available in the free version.
Thanks, turns out I can watch-browse in the free version after all! The rest of the podcasts show up if I go to "Filters"... a bit unintuitive, but it'll do (I'd imagine there's some advanced filter customization as a paid benefit)

The Grumbles posted:

Spotify works really well on Apple Watch, and saves your progress in each podcast across all devices. I find it much better for music than the default media app on the watch too - you don't have to go through the convoluted process of opening up the 'iphone' version of your library, it's all just there.
oooooh you just articulated the second-most annoying part of my podcast experience. And it repurposes a barely-used app already on my phone! Could have a winner here, I'll definitely be giving it a shot!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm sure this probably gets discussed a lot, but is there a way to check battery health metrics? Can watch batteries easily be replaced?

I have a series 6 (the 44mm one) but the battery doesn't seem to last all the way throughout the day sometimes anymore.

Seems like a waste to just buy a new one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a battery health readout in the settings app somewhere (on the watch).

A new battery is a complete replacement. Sucks but that's how Apple does things. They charge $80 for a battery service I believe (it's a new watch).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
When should one upgrade their crapple watch/ when do the software start to be non compatible. I have I think the original SE from 2020.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nom epique posted:

When should one upgrade their crapple watch/ when do the software start to be non compatible. I have I think the original SE from 2020.

That model is still currently supported by the latest OS. As far as when they drop compatibility? There's no rhyme or reason. For watches, series 4 (fall 2018) is the oldest supported model. For phones, it's iPhone 8 (fall 2017), oldest supported iPad is the 2015 iPad Pro. Computers are even more confusing depending on if it's a desktop or laptop.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

People tend to look at release date but I’ve always figured discontinue date is more relevant. And the original SE was only discontinued five months ago.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m still running the 2020 SE and I’m not upgrading until the processor makes a nice jump. The 2020 SE uses the S5 SoC. The Watch 6, 7, 8, SE2, and Ultra all use the same processor which is only “up to” about 20% faster.

I don’t care about the slightly larger screen, the always-on display, or battery performance, my biggest pain point is waiting for things to load.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Violator posted:

I’m still running the 2020 SE and I’m not upgrading until the processor makes a nice jump. The 2020 SE uses the S5 SoC. The Watch 6, 7, 8, SE2, and Ultra all use the same processor which is only “up to” about 20% faster.

I don’t care about the slightly larger screen, the always-on display, or battery performance, my biggest pain point is waiting for things to load.

I don't feel like I've ever had to wait for an app to load on the series 7. One of my watch faces has an animation on it which can sometimes take a second or two to pop in, but that's it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I picked up a stainless steel S7 and no regrets not going with S8. That being said, I think about the financial spend with a watch differently than a phone. With the phone I typically sell after 1 year (usually through Apple upgrade program) and get about half the value of the phone back. That makes it a Good Deal and almost as cheap as miserly goons rocking a 7 year old cracked phone by choice.

The watch though, is harder to pull the trigger, because I consider almost 100% of the purchase price gone as soon as I buy. Reselling is more annoying and will retain significantly less value than the phones, almost none really.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I don't feel like I've ever had to wait for an app to load on the series 7. One of my watch faces has an animation on it which can sometimes take a second or two to pop in, but that's it.

It’s usually not the app loading any more, but content and functional UI populating what I feel is slowly. Even on my wife’s Series 8 I’m annoyed by the Home app, Siri, Reminders, and Mail. I know some of it is because connectivity is so slow. I admit I may be overly picky but if I’m trying to do something quick while my toddler is having a meltdown I just want it to work and work fast.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Home app has nothing to do with the SoC. It's a piece of poo poo on it's own and it takes like 5 minutes for it to update for me as well.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Inner Light posted:

I picked up a stainless steel S7 and no regrets not going with S8. That being said, I think about the financial spend with a watch differently than a phone. With the phone I typically sell after 1 year (usually through Apple upgrade program) and get about half the value of the phone back. That makes it a Good Deal and almost as cheap as miserly goons rocking a 7 year old cracked phone by choice.

The watch though, is harder to pull the trigger, because I consider almost 100% of the purchase price gone as soon as I buy. Reselling is more annoying and will retain significantly less value than the phones, almost none really.

I've found reselling my watch pretty easy. Especially when it was last year's model. if you're doing that once a year thing i'm pretty sure Apple does trade-ins as well?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Strong Sauce posted:

I've found reselling my watch pretty easy. Especially when it was last year's model. if you're doing that once a year thing i'm pretty sure Apple does trade-ins as well?

Last time I checked the models seemed to take a hilarious drop in value after 1 year for trade ins, greater percentage than the phones if I remember right, but thanks for the heads up I will look into it again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I gotta be honest there is little to nothing of the features exclusive to new watches that I'm looking for so i'll get rid of this one when it stops working or the battery becomes untenable. I know some people who update the hardware compulsively but only one or two who actually get a usecase change out of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Apple Watch trade ins keep plummeting more and quicker too. I’m in the same boat, upgrade phone every year, but not worth it for the watch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Next watch for me will be the one with the fabled glucose monitoring. Better not be the coming one this fall already, because I have an AW8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not holding my breath for glucose monitoring because it's either going to be so inaccurate it's useless for treatment decisions or it'll take five years for any pumps to be able to make use of the data.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m interested in it for the same reason as one of the Accidental Tech Podcast hosts said. It likely won’t be accurate to begin with but you can at least use it to maybe see when you’re far above/below your average, and that might be useful for some people who aren’t diabetic?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
if you’re far above your range you are diabetic. that’s how it’s diagnosed

low blood sugar is also basically a myth

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hypnophant posted:

low blood sugar is also basically a myth
I know it’s what you meant, but low blood sugar in non-diabetics is a myth. So many people seem to assume I am too fit to be diabetic and the only thing a real diabetic needs to worry about is high blood sugar because of the ways its presented in media.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

I know it’s what you meant, but low blood sugar in non-diabetics is a myth. So many people seem to assume I am too fit to be diabetic and the only thing a real diabetic needs to worry about is high blood sugar because of the ways its presented in media.

you’re right - having treated lots of diabetics for hypoglycemia as an EMT, I should have been specific

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did they recently add “5K Run” etc as a badge to Fitness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yes.

I get notified with it every time my kid goes to XC/track practice.