Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve had that happen quite a few times.

It shows up eventually on the phone :shrug:

Same.
It does appear, eventually, just know one knows when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I got the 9 for my wife (hurrr) for Christmas and traded in her 6. The battery was terrible, it was beat to absolute poo poo and had deep scratches all over it (even on the bottom sensor array somehow), like she banged it on every door frame she walked through or something. Apple's online trade-in estimator tool said I'd get a $30 gift card for it. I didn't feel like trying to sell a stupidly scratched watch on Swappa, so I said gently caress it. Shipped it back yesterday and today they emailed me to say I'm getting $115. Nice!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
speaking of trade-ins, are you able to do it in person at an Apple store and see how much credit you get immediately? or it is always a mail-away deal with some suspense involved?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I honestly can't remember if it gave me an option to bring it in. I think it just defaulted to giving me a QR code to bring to Fedex.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Battery health is down to 82%.
What’s the threshold for a replacement? It’s 80%, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Minidust posted:

speaking of trade-ins, are you able to do it in person at an Apple store and see how much credit you get immediately?
Yes. Or, we did last year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah you can do most trade-ins at the Apple Store. I think iMacs (and maybe the Mac Pro) are the exception. I prefer the in-store trade ins because there's no waiting or worrying about some fucker at a 3rd party warehouse saying your poo poo is broken.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
that is perfect then, thanks! seems logical, but even the Apple Store app funnels you into the mail-away thing, had me worried it was the only option

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wrong thread!

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 15, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I initially got the Ultra to make sure to have an Apple Watch that'll last like 7-8 hours on the ski slopes with full GPS and HR tracking. Surprisingly, using Slopes, being on the tracks from 9:00 to 16:30 (with an hour paused for lunch), this drat thing ran down from 100% to merely 80%. Goddamn, this thing is a beast.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I took a chance on a refurb Stainless Steel 45mm Apple Watch 8 on Amazon and I’d say it was pretty positive experience. Definitely a dice roll.

Pricing: It was $328 vs $550 for a new Series 8 or $750 for a new Series 9. (It is nearly impossible to find that listing on Amazon for new series 8.) So cheaper than a new aluminum Series 9.

Condition: 98% battery health, AppleCare+ active through September, slight bit of wear right where the crystal meets the metal. It came with a real-seeming charger in original wrapper and the worst $1 strap ever.

Despite having pretty good luck with Amazon used roulette, I’m probably going to return it. The bigger size is marginal benefit for me and I’m not sure it fits any better on my arm. The stainless steel looks a bit nicer but I can definitely notice the weight increase. It feels like the watch is hanging on the sports band and pulling it into my arm. Not really surprising considering it’s going from 32g on my old smaller watch to 51g.

Worth trying at least!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol my Series 3 that I got for chrimbus 2017 is at 90% battery health

what in the world

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Geez, my S7 is at 83% after two years. It's really just a race at this point to see if it gets below the magic 80% so they'll replace the battery before I trade it in for an S10 in the fall.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Same, but I’m at 82%, one step ahead :v:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

lol my Series 3 that I got for chrimbus 2017 is at 90% battery health

what in the world

My 2020 S3 claims it's at 100 health, but I don't know if I believe it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Glimpse posted:

My 2020 S3 claims it's at 100 health, but I don't know if I believe it.

I mean, mine lasts at least a full day so 🤷🏻‍♂️

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t this page used to be better? It only lets me compare current models, when I want to compare my old watch to a new one.

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tap “see all models” and it gives you a list of all the models of Apple Watch that have been released, but it’s much harder to compare them on the list.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, on further review, I think I’m remembering the iPhone version which does work like I want.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

smackfu posted:

Didn’t this page used to be better? It only lets me compare current models, when I want to compare my old watch to a new one.

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

I wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed this intentionally due to the SpO2 sensor removal.

"why does Apple Watch Ultra 2 not have blood oxygen when Ultra 1 did???"

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Raymond T. Racing posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed this intentionally due to the SpO2 sensor removal.

"why does Apple Watch Ultra 2 not have blood oxygen when Ultra 1 did???"
I wonder what made them do this.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

eightysixed posted:

They nerfed it because the jump in watch series after like 6 or so were super incremental. There is no real big changes from a 8 to 9.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

eightysixed posted:

That device lawsuit?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh, I had no idea, I'm still plowing along on my S7 v:shobon:v

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does the exclusion of that sensor mean anything, eg is the VO2 max estimate no longer valid, or is it literally just you cannot take your blood oxygen level?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They aren't removing the sensor, they're just disabling it via software for people in the US on new purchases or repairs of old purchases.

And VO2 max never relied on the O2 sensor anyway. I think it just uses GPS and heart rate data to do the calculation IIRC.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Apologies for battery chat but I just checked the health of my 7 and it’s at 88% and it’s only 13 months old. That seems absurdly bad right?

Very annoying as I hardly ever charge it past 80% but it often gets below 20% because of the above.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
VO2Max estimation only “works” on flat terrain. Put a hill or two on your route, and it thinks you’re geriatric.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the last week or so every time I look at my watch there's a 50/50 chance the complication is showing "Loading Weather" with dashes instead of actual data. I was hoping it was a complication bug but I click through to the app and it's bereft of data as well.

Then I'll get mad about it for thirty seconds, check the weather on my phone, and forget it happened. Then an hour or two later I'll instinctively check my watch and it's loaded current weather and I'm happy. Until I check it again later in the day and it shows "Loading Weather" again. I have no idea what it's doing.

I've restarted my phone and watch multiple times. Checked faces, changed my active weather city, everything.

Just can't figure out what the hell they did to break this so badly for me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Default weather.app has never worked well for me.

I settled on Carrot and haven’t looked back. I just don’t care anymore to figure it out. Plus I like that the bot swears at me.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Apple buying Dark Sky was dumb imo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I'll have to see what alternatives we have in Canada.

In the meantime some apple link suggested I reset all location/privacy permissions on the phone so I'll try that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

eightysixed posted:

Apple buying Dark Sky was dumb imo

Idk, I think we had too many weather apps. I used to use more but Apple Weather is good enough for me now, and if I want extra fancy radar I open up the Weather.com app. Tim's got me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I used to love forecast.io but they killed it and then the Dark Sky app wasn't available in Canada, so Apple buying them was great, for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay for windy because I need them layers to obsess over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To close the loop on my issue, it looks like the following seemed to fix my issue:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset -> Reset (scary sounding, but it'll give you more options before it does anything) -> Reset Location & Privacy

Didn't seem to work right away, but after a few hours (and ongoing since) I haven't seen the "loading weather" issue. Fingers crossed.

To be fair to Apple, it was right on their support site.

To be unfair to Apple, how do you break your Weather app so badly that you need a flush :mad:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has anyone else found their watch only partially charged in the last few mornings?

It’s a fortnight old S9, it was behaving perfectly until now.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Is 2 weeks long enough to come to a proper conclusion?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kerbtree posted:

Has anyone else found their watch only partially charged in the last few mornings?

It’s a fortnight old S9, it was behaving perfectly until now.

WatchOS 10 has changed the logic for optimized charging from "charge at low power during night until the expected wake up time" to "charge at low power during the night until the expected wake up time with a power target of 80%", you should have a specific icon on the battery bar when docked if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

SlowBloke posted:

WatchOS 10 has changed the logic for optimized charging from "charge at low power during night until the expected wake up time" to "charge at low power during the night until the expected wake up time with a power target of 80%", you should have a specific icon on the battery bar when docked if it does.

Oh, that’s it. Good catch. Never happened until the last few days. The screen says to tap it to charge to full.