Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

drat, too bad. But I guess "takes a while to update" is better than "never actually launches" like my S0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just stuck with Dark Sky, despite the notifications only coming through like 10% of the time. Didn’t really like the snarky weather blurbs of Carrot Weather not the stupid subscription service for notifications

Gunder
May 22, 2003

You can turn the snark off. I did so immediately.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought a new series 3 to replace my series 0. It’s so much faster. Worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought a new series 3 to replace my series 0. It’s so much faster. Worthwhile upgrade for sure.

I just did the same thing yesterday evening. I went with the non-LTE version since I always have my phone on me. I knew it would be faster and really appreciate that, but I forgot about things like the brighter screen that make the device better overall without being "Holy cow!" features. I don't know if the sport bands feel more tacky with age and my old S0 bands are just worn, but this new sport band is a lot softer and more comfortable.

I also ordered some of the cheap bands previously recommended in the thread off Amazon to go with the new watch, but I'm not terribly impressed with their band connectors. I feel like they don't slide in as well as Apple's and the first time I tried them out I was afraid I might scratch the Watch since they aren't very smooth. I guess that's what you get when you buy an $8 version of a $149 band.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I still have no idea what people are regularly using their Apple Watch for that would require a faster processor. I have actively tried to figure out what part of my day would benefit from the new watches and have come up empty, so i'm still rocking the Series 0 black DLC stainless. And sure, it's not as bright, but it's OLED which is sweet if that's the kind of thing you appreciate.

What are y'all using that benefits so much from a fast processor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They never stopped being OLED.

In any case, actually getting app updates quicker is nice and actually makes apps somewhat usable on my S2.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there any way to lock the screen? I've been doing a generic HIIT workout in the Workouts app when I play hockey, and half the time, the workout gets ended randomly, by I guess a ton of sweat and moving my wrist around a lot or whatever during the game. It's kinda lame to look down and see that it stopped 15 mins ago.

I tried theater mode, but any button seems to activate the screen. Anything else I can try?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turn on the water mode. It won't respond to anything without spinning the crown a bunch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh neat, thanks!

On a side note, it's pretty funny to see the exercise ring spin around a ton after I get done playing for an hour and a half.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taima posted:

Personally I’d settle for less stutter in the UI. My S2 is pretty bad for this so I can only imagine what the original model was like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I still have no idea what people are regularly using their Apple Watch for that would require a faster processor. I have actively tried to figure out what part of my day would benefit from the new watches and have come up empty, so i'm still rocking the Series 0 black DLC stainless. And sure, it's not as bright, but it's OLED which is sweet if that's the kind of thing you appreciate.

Fantastical loaded for forever in the older watches. It still takes time, but def is a little faster I. The S3.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh neat, thanks!

On a side note, it's pretty funny to see the exercise ring spin around a ton after I get done playing for an hour and a half.

I ran a marathon and my calories ring spun around like a top and was oddly satisfying (ring was set to like 400 and watch said I burned 4000 🤣)

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

Duckman2008 posted:

Fantastical loaded for forever in the older watches. It still takes time, but def is a little faster I. The S3.

Yeah I'm still on an S0 and while I would love to use Fantastical, the slowness has forced me to just use the native Calendar app.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Taima posted:

I went from a S0 to a S3 and I don't do anything terribly crazy with my watch. Replying to texts with the canned responses took so long I could have taken out my phone and used it quicker, and Siri was downright unresponsive. Siri isn't great to begin with, but trying to get directions home would take at least a minute to respond and getting out my phone was always much quicker. The S3 is responsive enough I haven't had that moment of regret not using my phone in the first place. Weather pops up much quicker and HomeKit to control my nerd lightbulbs and nerd thermostat is actually fast enough to use on the S3 now too for when my phone is across the room. I could walk downstairs and across the house and use my phone quicker then my S0 could open up HomeKit and see anything.

Honestly a S2 or maybe even a S1 would be fast enough for what I use my watch for, but the GPS S3 is priced in a reasonable "Treat yo' self" realm for a self-birthday gift I went for it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's fair enough guys. You've convinced me partially. I'm not sure you've convinced me enough to drop my $800 S0 for a new one, but I see the allure now. And that calendar app is sweet, I may have to grab it for my MBPro.

Valen posted:

Replying to texts with the canned responses took so long I could have taken out my phone and used it quicker,

This is a good point, but it never really bothered me because I only dictate voice texts when I'm driving. In that scenario, the extra couple of seconds is no big deal.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Also it's been an admittedly light week for notifications, but I've been wearing my watch for nearly 5 hours today and it's at 99% battery.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yea, standby time has been a killer since like watchOS 3. I willingly left my charging puck at home from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving until Saturday night, and made it home with 15%.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The last WatchOS update bricked my Series 2 a month before it hit the end of the year of warranty. Ended up shipping me a box to send it for repair. Instead of it being fixed, they just replaced it. Best part is that I had a small scratch on the top corner of the display, so that's nice to have gone. :cool:

Also picked up the generic milanese loop (black) for $12 off Amazon and it's really nice. No idea how anyone can justify getting the $200 Apple version.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Also picked up the generic milanese loop (black) for $12 off Amazon and it's really nice. No idea how anyone can justify getting the $200 Apple version.

They can't justify it. We have both the real one and generic ones at the house and the real one is basically indistinguishable.

However the space black milanese has the DLC coating and it shimmers with its own weird dragon-steel glow. It is good if you feel like dropping the $

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

In fact it's perhaps the most underrated band. The DLC coating means its basically indestructable as well, though there are some reports that the coating can scratch the watch (hasn't happened to us tho)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

They can't justify it. We have both the real one and generic ones at the house and the real one is basically indistinguishable.

However the space black milanese has the DLC coating and it shimmers with its own weird dragon-steel glow. It is good if you feel like dropping the $

I bought mine (Space Black) because my knockoff started stripping paint within a month and started tearing at the lug within another month. I could've gotten over the stripping paint (it was mostly just where the magnet clasp was) but I obviously couldn't look past the tearing lug. I liked the band style a lot, so I just bought the real thing. Do I wish it wasn't so expensive? Of course, but mine's over a year old now and still as good as new.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

But does the magnet slip after a year?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mine doesn't, but apparently it's a thing that happens to even the Apple band. Something to do with that little rubber gasket wearing out or getting damaged.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
The crown on my S0 blew out its rubber o-ring yesterday. I am sad that my watch is slightly less water resistant now. :smith: I looked down at my wrist and half the seal was just hanging there. Maybe it’s time for a S3?????????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have Applecare on it, they'll probably fix it for free. If not, the repair cost will probably be enough that it would just be better to buy a new one.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I remember some people recently talking about activating their watch accidentally or having the watch stop their workout through incidental contact. Someone recommended turning on water mode, which would be for the S2 and up.

If you have a series 1 like me, you can swipe over on the workout screen and tap lock. The screen will actually still light up with incidental contact, however you won't be able to swipe or do anything else until you roll that Digital Crown. Should solve that issue.

I've had the watch for just about a year now and I use workouts almost every single day and just learned this about 5 mins ago. I'm sure most people know this, but here ya go just in case!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I went through the last 10-15 pages of the last thread to pull up these recommendations. I'd quote posts but the old thread is closed now and I can't quote them anymore.

Milanese Knockoff Loops
http://a.co/7vWwblE - Haggins, Atheist Sunglasses, and Matt Zerella recommended

Just re-quoting myself to say I got this band as a gift for my birthday and it's great so far.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gah, I took off my band to give my watch a deep cleaning, and caught a series of light scratches along the top of the back casing consistent with the pattern of the Milanese Loop links. The Space Black Milanese Loop definitely scratches poo poo (even the Space Black Watch,) so be careful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

4.2 is out.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Takes loving forever to update so make sure your watch is charged

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Watch updates have always been really slow, but your phone won’t start an update unless your watch has at least 50% charge and is connected to a charger.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It took an insanely long time for this one, maybe like a few hours. The processing of the update kept resetting 🤔

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Updated my S0 to 4.2. No issues so far.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iOS 11.2 and watchOS 4.2, and I still have to turn my loving phone off and back on again when I want to install an app on my watch.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am going to break down and buy a Apple Watch tomorrow since my Pebble isn't holding a charge anymore. Is it worth spending the extra money for the Stainless Steel model?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Is stainless steel/ceramic/gold/Hermes worth it?
Gold is absolutely not unless someone is giving it to you. They are quite outdated at this point. As for stainless and ceramic, it's up to you. Stainless models are slightly heavier than aluminum, making them slightly more noticeable. As noted above, they do offer stronger/harder screens, and I think silver stainless is very attractive. As far as capabilities go, they're identical. Hermes is probably not, as the watch is identical, and similar bands can be found much cheaper, but, again, up to you.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I read that the stainless ones have displays that are harder to read in direct sunlight for some reason. But maybe that only applies to the OG watches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Popping in the say that Weather Underground's Watch app loads significantly faster since the last update. Not satisfyingly fast but it's at least usable now.

Also, AnyList's Watch app (available through their yearly sub program) is amazing.