Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think $10/month is highway robbery for using data I’ve already paid for. But I got the LTE version. I don’t use LTE 95% of the time since I have my phone with me, but for the 5% I don’t (outside, on a run, whatever), it makes me feel like it’s kind of worth it. It’s still a ripoff though.

It's a waste of money for sure but it's also $10 a month, I waste more money than that every few days on frivolous things that don't even buy me a little peace of mind. I have a $10 candle burning in front of me for godsake.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

This is probably a stupid as gently caress question, but to actually take a call with the 3 do you need headphones or do you just talk into it like ? I just got a series 1 on Xmas so I am not smart about this stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Am I terrible for agreeing with this?

I think $10/month is highway robbery for using data I’ve already paid for. But I got the LTE version. I don’t use LTE 95% of the time since I have my phone with me, but for the 5% I don’t (outside, on a run, whatever), it makes me feel like it’s kind of worth it. It’s still a ripoff though.

It would be worth it for $5 a month. $10 is a bit much.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

HungryMedusa posted:

This is probably a stupid as gently caress question, but to actually take a call with the 3 do you need headphones or do you just talk into it like ? I just got a series 1 on Xmas so I am not smart about this stuff.

You can speakerphone from the watch. It’s usable as long as you’re somewhere relatively quiet. Your 1 can do the same when in range of your phone or known WiFi.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

You can speakerphone from the watch. It’s usable as long as you’re somewhere relatively quiet. Your 1 can do the same when in range of your phone or known WiFi.

Thanks. Not sure when I would use this, but now it is my mission to try it.

Any games anyone likes? I don't see myself playing on it a lot, but you never know when you will be stuck somewhere boring.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

Any games anyone likes? I don't see myself playing on it a lot, but you never know when you will be stuck somewhere boring.

Games on a 42mm screen just seem like a bad idea. I just never have seen it as a good function on a watch.

Edit: I have to clarify and add one big exception: Pokemon works pretty well for the watch, although in reality you will still mostly play on the phone.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Games on a 42mm screen just seem like a bad idea. I just never have seen it as a good function on a watch.

Edit: I have to clarify and add one big exception: Pokemon works pretty well for the watch, although in reality you will still mostly play on the phone.

I kind of agree, and all the games I have tried are garbage for the most part. I can't help but feel like I am missing something without at least one game on this thing though.

Sadly I am over Pokemon. Kid went through a phase and I need a break from Pikachu.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I'm balancing on this, absolutely do not buy something you can't afford without an installment plan but an interest free loan is an interest free loan. I have two friends that have purchased LTE Apple watches, both on installment plans. One works at a place that allows cell phones but not ones with cameras so basically no cellphones, he bought it on an installment plan because interest free loan and he knows for a fact that he is going to use LTE everyday all the time. Another friend has no money but really wanted an Apple Watch, he is an idiot..

An interest free loan that requires you to have a $10/mo or more with fees cost for 24 months on a feature that you may decide is not useful and cant be shut off is really undercutting the spirit of an interest free loan.

Three Olives posted:

It's a waste of money for sure but it's also $10 a month, I waste more money than that every few days on frivolous things that don't even buy me a little peace of mind. I have a $10 candle burning in front of me for godsake.

And thiis is really stupid to say in the next breath.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is anyone doing subsidized contracted watches yet? Like sell it for $100 if you keep 24 months of LTE.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

HungryMedusa posted:

Lifeline (text with a stranded astronaut) and Break This Safe (crack a safe using the crown and the force feedback) are fun little diversions.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dunno if anyone cares but I got this cool little watch band case for xmas and it's perfect for Apple watch bands

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVUODS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I received my knockoff nylon sport loop and holy cow these things are awesome. Very soft and comfortable you can barely tell the watch is there.

This is the brand I got -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VKCD7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Some of the Coach bands are currently 50% off for their winter sale. I own the Rexy band and it's well worth the current sale price of $75. Good leather and construction if anything strikes your fancy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mattfl posted:

Also I received my knockoff nylon sport loop and holy cow these things are awesome. Very soft and comfortable you can barely tell the watch is there.

This is the brand I got -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VKCD7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that’s a lot of sport loop colors. Nice! I don’t like how the Apple black is like a little black with a bunch of random colors sprinkled in, so I went with the olive when I bought the watch. It’s cool, but having a real black sport loop would be rad. Thanks!

e: on closer inspection, it does look like the black is the exact same thing as the Apple one. Bummer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

enojy posted:

Some of the Coach bands are currently 50% off for their winter sale. I own the Rexy band and it's well worth the current sale price of $75. Good leather and construction if anything strikes your fancy.

That is the coolest band I have seen, but I dunno if I can drop $75 on it.....decisions decisions!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow that’s a lot of sport loop colors. Nice! I don’t like how the Apple black is like a little black with a bunch of random colors sprinkled in, so I went with the olive when I bought the watch. It’s cool, but having a real black sport loop would be rad. Thanks!

e: on closer inspection, it does look like the black is the exact same thing as the Apple one. Bummer.

They have all the same sport loop colors Apple does, the other ones are not the velcro style bands

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mattfl posted:

That is the coolest band I have seen, but I dunno if I can drop $75 on it.....decisions decisions!

I had the same thought. If this sale was in the summer and not a week after Christmas I'd be on that!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

enojy posted:

Those are all women sizes? I fit a s/m sports band. Wonder if it will fit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Those are all women sizes? I fit a s/m sports band. Wonder if it will fit.

Yea, it's cool -- the 42mm bands are plenty big. I eyeballed mine next to the S/M and M/L sport bands, and the holes fall between those two. Doesn't look like a woman's band at all. Dunno about the 38mm bands, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HungryMedusa posted:

Answering calls when I’m cooking or farting around the house or garage is when I used it the most.

Somewhat obsoleted when I got airpods, though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

sellouts posted:

An interest free loan that requires you to have a $10/mo or more with fees cost for 24 months on a feature that you may decide is not useful and cant be shut off is really undercutting the spirit of an interest free loan.

There isn't a penalty for just paying the watch off and turning off service. My point is you might as well take the interest free loan if you can afford to just pay off the remainder of the watch and turn off service.

quote:

How? My point is most of us in the market for Apple Watches spend $10 a month on stupid poo poo all the time, I spent over $40 going out to the bar last night, $12 on some clearance christmas tea light holders at Pier 1 that went right into storage still wrapped in the bag for next year, $10 a month isn't much money to have the peace of mind of never worrying if you contact people/be contacted.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sellouts posted:

No it isn’t. I know gotta hate on 3olives wherever he posts is still a thing on SA with some people but you sound like an idiot who should blow his sanctimony right out his rear end.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 31, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No it isn’t. I know gotta hate on 3olives wherever he posts is still a thing on SA with some people but you sound like an idiot who should blow his sanctimony right out his rear end.

I don’t know anything about hating on Three olives being “a thing”? I saw it in a thread title once I think? Why is it a thing?

It’s really dumb, in my view, to give questionable advice about an interest free loan for a <$500 device that apparently requires activation of a time limited free trial of a 10/mo or more feature. The price doesn’t make the advice make a lot of sense. Then, in the next post justify wasting money because you already waste so much money anyways.

Like what you like, use what you use, I’m certainly not the guy to criticize spending within your means, but those two ideas go against each other pretty directly. Seems a bit futile to potentially make a little bit of money having the balance of the watch free to invest or do other things with during the service free trial when you flippantly admit you waste so much. I’m not morally superior for thinking so, I’ve got expensive candles too, I just think the exercise itself doesn’t have much value in comparison to other things you could be doing. Like not doing so much “every few days” that you consider wasteful?

You sound super smart and well adjusted though!!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

sellouts posted:

You sound super smart and well adjusted though!!

It’s a good thing he does because you sure as h*ck don’t

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mattfl posted:

Dunno if anyone cares but I got this cool little watch band case for xmas and it's perfect for Apple watch bands

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVUODS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should probably figure out a better way of organizing bands at some point. I don’t have that much but I have enough that it’s just a small pile of bands right now.

About the knockoff nylon loops, I have two and one real one. If you got 42mm, hows the width? On the fakes (from mine and reading about others') there’s a decent gap as seen in the lug where it loops through, it seems like they’re using 38mm strap for both sizes maybe, whereas the real one is nearly flush. The only other noticeable difference is the end piece, it’s a good bit fatter on the fakes.

But yeah other than those two details they’re great. I’ll probably get more fakes whenever they get closer to the real thing.

enojy posted:

Yea, it's cool -- the 42mm bands are plenty big. I eyeballed mine next to the S/M and M/L sport bands, and the holes fall between those two. Doesn't look like a woman's band at all. Dunno about the 38mm bands, though.
Found some more pics here, yeah seems like it should be fine. One of the commenters mentioned the buckle being painted and chipping, but also mentions good customer service with replacing them at least.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/7ii9y3/coach_rexy_leather_band_in_goldenrod_male/

The Coach "Beasts" thing seems to be part of their women’s stuff...but whatever, I’m down with a dinosaur jazzing up an otherwise boring looking strap. It’ll be an inside joke with my rock climbing friends.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Battery on the S3 is bananas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Battery on the S3 is bananas.

Unless you use LTE. LTE will murder your battery without breaking a sweat.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does anyone want a knock off milanese loop? It came with my Watch and I won't use it.

Let me know and I can drop it in the mail.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

42mm? I’ll take it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes. Great, PM me your address please

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I used my watch without my phone for 3 days (so LTE only) and got home with 40% left each day. Granted, I honestly didn’t use it much, just for a bit of messaging and such, no Apple Music, but it did decently well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Duckman2008 posted:

I used my watch without my phone for 3 days (so LTE only) and got home with 40% left each day. Granted, I honestly didn’t use it much, just for a bit of messaging and such, no Apple Music, but it did decently well.

You must have been hitting a lot of WiFi. I did a no-WiFi test on my SBSS S3 and saw my watch eat 10% an hour without really doing anything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eh, I've ran out without my phone a few times for errands and it burned a little battery I guess.

Still going to bed each night with ~80% battery is insane to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

You must have been hitting a lot of WiFi. I did a no-WiFi test on my SBSS S3 and saw my watch eat 10% an hour without really doing anything.

I’m not allowed to put my devices on my work WiFi, so it was not on WiFi for sure. It was in one location for most of the time with good coverage, so there wasn’t a low signal factor.

40% after a 9-7 type day is like, 6.5% per hour, so it’s not like I was getting that much better than what you described.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
The only thing that really shreds my new S3 battery is Pokémon, it seems. Unless I’m doing something wrong, I lost about 20% battery in an hour and a half with it on, but only 15% over the rest of the day with it off

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
What’s the best app to track sleep that’s integrated with the health app? Walking me up in stage 1 sleep would be a bonus.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

G5ANDY posted:

What’s the best app to track sleep that’s integrated with the health app? Walking me up in stage 1 sleep would be a bonus.

AutoSleep is pretty awesome and requires no intervention to track. I don’t think it’s got an alarm, though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

AutoSleep is pretty awesome and requires no intervention to track. I don’t think it’s got an alarm, though.

Same company makes autowake which is an alarm but you have to remember to turn it on and have the complication on the watch face since background processing isn't allowed. Works great otherwise.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

xarph posted:

Same company makes autowake which is an alarm but you have to remember to turn it on and have the complication on the watch face since background processing isn't allowed. Works great otherwise.

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any 3rd party Apple Watch chargers worth getting or is it a Magsafe situation where the knockoffs are poo poo and might burn my house down?

I just want a spare one to leave in work/ my GF's house for emergencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Is there a way to get to the now playing app without having the audio auto launch setting enabled?