Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

marktheando posted:

I tried restarting everything already, but a couple more watch restarts sorted it out. What a relief, I really could not be bothered re-pairing after needing to do that for the last couple watchOS updates.

I've restarted a bunch of times, but I still get the "can't communicate with your watch" error when I try to enable auto-unlock. Have tried surgery on Keychain, rebooting laptop, trying to disable iCloud Keychain (it re-enables itself right away), and nothing. Annoying, it was a feature I'd been looking forward to.

Also, I have a new series 6 running 7.1, and a few times a day it'll stop responding to face swipes to show notifications or control center. It's fixed on reboot, but that is sucky. Any idea what I can do to fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This sounds like a dodgy watch, I'm on an SE with 7.1 and having no issues at all with the notifs, control centre or Mac unlock (as of the latest OS updates)

Ugh. I guess I'll call support? Not sure what to expect from that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DangerZoneDelux posted:

all phones and watches from Apple ping a signature required

In Canada at least nobody is doing signature on delivery to reduce contact, so my watch was delivered a few weeks ago without any signature requirement. (If there’s a signature requirement they make you pick it up at a depot.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pacing in my office sometimes isn't enough to trigger a Stand so whenever there's a break between or during meetings I roam the main floor like a Roomba, trying to get credit for some activity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hdip posted:

Aren’t those just called babies?

Categorically no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

How do you know they're charging every night?

The watch does sleep tracking now and is really good for it, so there is a good argument for wanting 23 hours of the battery (or more, but you'll need to rest it for at least an hour at some point to charge it).

Yeah, I wear it to sleep and let it charge at my desk for 15 mins a few times during the day. It thinks I get more sleep than I think I do, but we’ll figure it out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we need the watchOS upgrade for mask-unlock?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any good way to get my watch to update its knowledge about my calendar? Mine changes a lot during the day, and I can't really trust what it tells me because it can sometimes be hours out of date.

(I recognize that calendar sync is apparently a hard problem, and have in the past resorted to hard copies updated by my admin every time there was a change, like some boomer printing their email, but I'm hoping The Apple Experience can be better here.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're talking about two different problems. 1. Your watch getting updated calendar information and 2. Your email/calendar system working correctly.

Sorry, my calendar system works correctly and at least Google Calendar seems to be up to date when I check it. I don't use Calendar.app other than to configure it so I could see stuff on my watch, but I can check if it's syncing properly as a next step, thank you.

(When I was using Android and Exchange my calendar system didn't work well, but it occurs to me that it's been a decade since then, sheesh.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 9, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice bedside stand that can charge my watch (using the charger that comes with it is fine) and also my xr wirelessly? There was a nice Belkin one that seemed to do this but it looks like they stopped making it?

I have a 3-in-1 charger from Phantom that does my watch, phone, and AirPods and I like it other than the really bright charging lights. Definitely recommend getting one that makes it easy to correctly position the phone, because the previous one I had was quite annoying in that regard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have the Milanese loop and don’t have to adjust it all the time. I do have to get it all the way open to get my hand through it, but my hands are quite large.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But captive portals usually need each MAC address to authenticate. How does that work with the watch and phone?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, that makes more sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:plays taps:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does water mode do, exactly?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My watch has been prompting me a few times today to enter my AppleID password. I did it the first time (bless the iPhone-as-keyboard mode) but the second I just cancelled because I needed to do something else with the watch.

What is the most likely thing that I’ve hosed up? (And why doesn’t the watch get all its auth info from the iPhone where everything seems to be working fine?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Good skiing tracker alp?

Amazing. :golfclap:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s because they need to have you enter a request code to avoid the overload-push-and-wait-for-frustration-accept attacks, I believe, and there’s no way to do that within the watchOS notification framework or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I absolutely hate alarm haptics for the dream reasons too. I always feel the haptics in my dream and it makes me uncontrollably angry that I can’t stop it in my dream. Then I wake up and am pissed at the alarm.

Sounds like an effective way to wake up!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's the state of the art in knockoff bands that are safe to put on human skin? niece needs a new band and her mom will be cross if I pay full freight for it, but I figure I can get away with some knockoff thing.

I guess I should figure out what size she has too, hmm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does she care what you pay for it?

She gets weird about gifts, just trust me on this.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll look around on Amazon and AE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What magic baseband or whatever incantation does the non-cellular Watch use to send SMS? My 14 Pro Max is totally locked up, not responding to power button holding or anything, but I can still send and receive SMSes through my Watch. None of the other apps that talk to the phone work, as I expect, but SMS is still trucking. Surprising!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wasn’t connected to wifi though, I was sitting at the hairdresser which I don’t think even has wifi. Phone was fixed by a hard reset (up-down-hold power) so I can’t look into it more deeply…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Corb3t posted:

You pay for it, but AppleCare in general is such a great service. I don’t use it often, but the few cases where I have were amazing, all done via messages chat, and they overnighted my replacement.

The problem with AppleCare is that it can make people believe that literally any other post-purchase protection plan is worth buying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have set my contact under Settings -> Siri -> My Information, and on my phone Siri can tell me my address. On my watch, it tells me that I haven’t set My Information. I’ve tried rebooting the watch, to no avail. Anyone know what might be up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

On my phone Siri will randomly forget it has my address on file even when it gave my directions earlier in the day. Is it happening repeatedly on your watch?

I’ve been trying for like 3 hours since I set it on my phone. Maybe I’ll open a support chat…