Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I still have no idea what people are regularly using their Apple Watch for that would require a faster processor. I have actively tried to figure out what part of my day would benefit from the new watches and have come up empty, so i'm still rocking the Series 0 black DLC stainless. And sure, it's not as bright, but it's OLED which is sweet if that's the kind of thing you appreciate.

What are y'all using that benefits so much from a fast processor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's fair enough guys. You've convinced me partially. I'm not sure you've convinced me enough to drop my $800 S0 for a new one, but I see the allure now. And that calendar app is sweet, I may have to grab it for my MBPro.

Valen posted:

Replying to texts with the canned responses took so long I could have taken out my phone and used it quicker,

This is a good point, but it never really bothered me because I only dictate voice texts when I'm driving. In that scenario, the extra couple of seconds is no big deal.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Also picked up the generic milanese loop (black) for $12 off Amazon and it's really nice. No idea how anyone can justify getting the $200 Apple version.

They can't justify it. We have both the real one and generic ones at the house and the real one is basically indistinguishable.

However the space black milanese has the DLC coating and it shimmers with its own weird dragon-steel glow. It is good if you feel like dropping the $

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

In fact it's perhaps the most underrated band. The DLC coating means its basically indestructable as well, though there are some reports that the coating can scratch the watch (hasn't happened to us tho)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I got a knock-off milanese loop and drat is it good. $30 CAD and based on what I am reading it's only a little lighter than the official. Strong as hell magnet too which is nice.

The silver milanese loop is probably the easiest band to copy, and I recommend that no one buy the real one because copies are nearly as good.

The SPACE BLACK milanese, on the other hand, is loving awesome and it is effortless to tell a copy from the original.

This image is the closest I've seen to replicating the effect in person, and it's loving huge so feel free to full size the original dimensions:

The knock off space black milanese look like rear end. Sorry, I don't mean offense if you have one. They're just the dullest option you could possibly put on an apple watch, both figuratively and literally.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey sorry I don't really read this thread but I was hoping for confirmation on Watch OS 5 if y'all don't mind.

I have the first edition apple watch. It's the space black expensive one... and I am reading that the new Watch OS5 will NOT support the first Apple Watch?

Does that mean that I'm just never going to be able to get further OS updates after OS4, or is it just not "officially supported"?

It would be kind of upsetting if the first edition watches were already sunsetted considering it was like a thousand bucks or whatever.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Was “18-hour battery life” an actual bullet point as mentioned on the Mac Rumors live blog? Cause lol if so. The battery is what is holding the watch back by far.

If it's 18 hours and the screen is always on, isn't that by default ridiculously more efficient?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not really if you can't turn it off.

I think you might be confusing battery life and efficiency, two different metrics.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

Battery life is the only one that matters to users.

Just because if efficiently drains my battery in 18 hours doesn’t mean that the battery life isn’t poo poo (or at the very least, worse than my series 4), and all of that efficiency is pretty wasted.

I don't understand your point.

If the always on watch face matters to a user, then they appreciate the added efficiency that is allowing that to happen without any noteworthy battery downgrade from the series 4. More battery use at the same battery life = the definition of efficiency. To say that it doesn't matter to users is ridiculous.

If a user doesn't care about the always on face, then yes, the added efficiency doesn't matter to them. That makes sense, but your claim that no user cares about the always on face is strange.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

My point was between battery life and efficiency. Nobody cares if their watch efficiently dies.

They care if the efficiency improvements brought better features (always on display) at the same battery point.

Or at least, I do, and apparently Apple does.

I dunno man sorry maybe I'm missing your point.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

I think we are just talking about two different things that involve a lot of the same words, tbh.

I am suspecting that too, my apologies for wasting your time :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The best part of the Series 5 launch is now the search begins for a cheap used series 4.

It's hard right now though, Craigslist is brimming with people who haven't caught on that their aluminum series 4 isn't worth $350, but you know, give it time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Violator posted:

That looks super nice.

The link is nice but it’s kind of a dress band imo if that makes sense. I’m not a huge fan of typing or doing anything too active with it on. The silver version also scuffs kinda easy on the bottom if you rest it on/move it over the wrong surface.

Super pretty though for a bit dressier look.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those cases that make your watch look like a gshock are pretty cool. I'm gonna consider one of those when I start hiking again.

Of all the adjectives you could use to describe an apple watch case, "cool" is in the running for least accurate.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Can you control how bright the watch is when it's not being used? I would sacrifice battery life for the standby backlight being brighter.

I also can't decide whether to spring for the stainless steel or not. But I am heavily considering it. Can anyone comment on the gold milanese loop? I kinda want to get the stainless steel gold with the gold milanese.

By the way, do we know how Apple figured out an always on OLED? They seem confident but that sounds like the definition of burn-in city.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok thank you.

The always on feature is wonderful, I was just wondering if it could be made even more prominent. I charge every day anyways.

Decided to pull the trigger and finally replace my Series 0 space black stainless steel after all of these years. For the record, the watch is still in immaculate, A+ condition due to the DLC coating.

I went with the gold stainless steel 44mm with the gold milanese included. To be honest it's a little scary to be losing the DLC coating... does anyone know how the gold stainless holds up to abuse?

Regardless I needed a change from the all-black, so here we are.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

does anyone have any experience preordering a watch off of amazon?

I went ahead and did it because 5% cash back is extremely my poo poo, but they have no interest in committing to a delivery date whatsoever and my wedding is in a little over 2 weeks. I would ideally like to have the thing for the wedding.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Are you going to read your vows from your watch or what?

Just want to wear it as I'm getting the gold stainless.

I'm in silicon valley and my best man actually works on the apple watch so it's kind of a double angle here. In any case I disagree that it doesn't work as a fashion watch. Where I live it's fine and accepted.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You can do calculations in spotlight.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

japtor posted:

Looking it up it’s a PVD coating, which is solid, but not as good as DLC. Can DLC be colored btw? Looking it up it seems like it’s just a range of black to gray.

PVD is the method used to apply both, but the gold stainless binds metal and DLC applies carbon.

It is true that DLC coating is generally stronger though PVD is decently strong too.

Anyways, got the ship update for my watch from Amazon and it's arriving on Tuesday, not bad. That is several days better than Apple's ETA. Fingers crossed the watch will arrive early, as Amazon is usually pretty conservative in their delivery estimates when it comes to items that don't have a guaranteed delivery date. I wouldn't be insanely surprised if it shipped tomorrow.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh nice as expected the Amazon ordered s5 stainless watches upgraded from weds delivery to Sunday delivery. Sucks to wait vs picking it up right this second at the apple store, but 5% cash back son.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

I dunno, 5% is what, a whole $25?

I’d just go get it for that and call it shipping.

It's at least $40 considering the watch/band is $799. Cash back adds up man.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Apparently my Watch is going to take 13 hours to update.

Usually that will reduce substantially. It's the exact same poo poo with the Macbook Pro, no matter how good your system is each update says it will take like 45 minutes and it ends up taking 15.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno. My phone doesn’t get obscene etas but the watch always does.

The phone is literally the only device apple offers that has quick and accurate updates, bro.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I could be wrong but it sounds like that's for Activation Lock. It's used when you are pairing, unpairing, or using your watch for the first time with the feature enabled.

Generally speaking, a non-contextual request for your Apple ID/password means that the watch needs it for what are a pretty narrow range of permissions/security.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

god this blows posted:

I sure as hell hope not too. I’m about to upgrade from a series 1 to a series 5

I guess your upgrade plan is off the table forever. A real shame.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone else noticing bad battery performance on their 5? Even if I don’t work out, it’s down into power reserve an hour or two before I go to bed.

With my 3, I could work out (even go for an outdoor run on LTE with music) for an hour and still end the day at 30-40%.

Some possible help here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/d7rbe3/psa_battery_drain_fix/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dude that is tripping me out, I've never seen anything like that. In awe of this lad.

I just replaced my Series 0 Space Black yesterday, and it could be sold as completely new, it is 100% spotless in the 4.5 years that I've had it. I slam the watch into poo poo while I'm walking all the time.

Seriously though that is loving crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the most hosed up space black watches to ever exist.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've only had Raise to Activate for a couple of days but it seems 100% dependent on ambient noise.

If I'm in a quiet area, it works more or less 100% of the time.

If I am in a loud area, or even somewhere with say a fan blowing, it is far less reliable.

e: I found this and it seems to be accurate:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/19/how-to-make-the-apple-watch-raise-to-speak-feature-work-every-time

I think I just raise my watch the way they expect and that's why I'm getting such a good success rate. After trying other positions, I agree that saying hey siri is probably better for most.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The milanese loop in regular stainless is almost comically easy to reproduce for a small fraction of the price, so if you're looking for the silver one, you're good to go with almost anything on Amazon.

If you want a colored one, in my experience you're mostly hosed unless you are ok with replacing them regularly or otherwise ok with the color wearing out. I recommend that anyone looking for a good colored-metal milanese just buy the Apple version, especially as they are now $100 instead of $150. That being said, hopefully you have a stainless steel watch, this may be controversial but mixing an aluminum watch with a milanese just seems weird to me, like mixing formal and casual. It doesn't work in my opinion but YMMV.

As for leather bands, Nomad is popular. If you want a really good leather band, Ashland Leather does shell cordovan leather bands that are sweet, but pretty pricey at $125-135 (shell is expensive). Personally I've had bad luck with any cheaper leather bands, though that may be because I'm used to shell leather.

The sports bands have been largely figured out imo, get any of the high rated ones from Amazon and you're good to go.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 25, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can we disable the “use raise to Siri” alert/notification yet

And yeah, S3 here. Raise to Siri is awful and I turned it off real quick.

General -> Siri

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The titanium has a fairly distinct look. It’s kind of hard to describe. Like a nicer version of an aluminum watch? It reflects more light. It’s pretty cool looking, but nothing that will turn heads. It doesn’t fingerprint like the SS versions which is convenient.

Think of it as being functionality/exercise-oriented like the aluminum watch is, but better looking. I’m not sure if I personally like it visually as much as the SS, but it’s a good blend of form and function.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Numerous people on Reddit are claiming that the 6.1 beta helped their battery a ton:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/d9jce6/huge_battery_life_difference_on_beta_61/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man I am loving the series 5. The always on is a life saver for covert glances during meetings or basically any social interaction. It also just FEELS more like a watch in a way that's hard to explain.

I know there are a lot of apple watch fashion haters in this thread but the gold SS/ gold milanese is dope. The color is basically polished bronze with a touch of gold. It's versatile, you can dress it down super easily by pairing it with a white sports band, or go middle of the road with something like a natural leather band. With the milanese it doesn't look out of place with a suit, though there are better options for formal watches of course.

Speaking of leather bands I highly recommend the shell cordovan bands at Ashland Leather: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/watch-straps/products/naturalleatherapplewatchband

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

Huh Stainless Steel watch came with a steel charger. Any difference between fanciness?

The stainless steel watch has absolutely no differences internally, so no. There are exactly two reasons to get the SS models:

1) The sapphire screen, and the colored coatings on the colored SS watches are more resilient than their aluminum counterparts
2) It looks dope, and you can wear it with more outfits and occasions, whereas the aluminum is more of a casual/workout kinda situation.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 28, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Siri and Apple Maps works great for me but I do live in California though so maybe that has something to do with it. It rarely fucks up.

I'm pretty sure that's the actual reason. Apple Maps is rock solid, better-than-google in much of CA and the bay area especially, in my experience.

I've also used Apple Maps in various other states and it usually sucks. I've had it direct me to completely non-existent roads multiple times, including major cities like Portland, Seattle etc.

But yeah in CA it's the poo poo, and the special mapping they've been doing for supported locales is amazing:

In most other places I've tried outside of CA, stick to google. I also love how they map the stop signs and stoplights now, but maybe Google does that too.

What's kind of funny is that people even in the bay aren't that aware that Apple Maps has gotten better. I work a few minutes from apple and even people here see my carplay nav and they're like "what the poo poo is that?" People are still pretty down on apple maps, not that I can blame them too much.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 2, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh and by the way I updated to 6.0.1 on my S5 today and I got through a 8 hour workday + commute with around 65-70% battery life, so at least for me it seems worlds better, YMMV

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

blast0rama posted:

Upgraded from a Series 1 to a Series 5 last week. The difference in usability is UNREAL. Like, the apps...function. Like apps. No noticeable delays.

That said, the always-on display got a little distracting for me, so I've turned it off for now. (I know, I could probably use a 4 then.)

Maybe I need to find a better face? I'm using the Infograph Modular right now.

That's super interesting. Are you distracted by regular watches as well? If not, what makes the S5 more distracting? Did you think this might be a problem when you got the S5? What situations do you get in where it becomes a burden?

I would be pretty into hearing from other people who have turned off the always on functionality and their reasoning if they care to share. No specific reason, just curious.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh yeah, I can totally see that being an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Housh posted:

Apple Watch life folks is the $10 extra a month worth it for mLTE? I've been using the s2 without cellular for 2 years fine but would be cool to leave the phone at home sometimes.

Is it worth it?

Total waste of money for almost everyone. It’s a sore spot for me that they force you to buy the LTE when you buy the SS/Watch Edition.

Even if it was more useful, $10 a month for the privilege is :downswords: