Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My S2 broke and I didn’t have AppleCare so I took the L on it then but the 4 looks good and I’ll even get AppleCare with it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Infographic Modular does not have the now playing complication at all right? I’m not missing something here?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s like $99, right?

I think it’s actually $79.

I went with AC this time when getting the S4 because when I still had my S2 I took it off one time and threw it on the bed then watched it bounce off my bed and on to the tile and shatter the screen. Apple wanted like $229 to fix that so I said gently caress it and just sold the watch for parts or something.

It’s really worth the extra cost for AC since it’s so reasonably priced for what you get.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Didn't see this mentioned but Spotify finally released an Apple Watch app:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/2/18055790/spotify-apple-watch-app-official-testing

It's not as good as the Apple Music one since you can't actually listen to your music without the phone or whatever, but for right now it's a start and I'll take it.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1058510814225883136

If you want to beta test Spotify stuff you can do that here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-do-I-become-a-Spotify-Beta-tester/ta-p/4551518

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Are there no 3rd-Party complications? I'd like to see Outlook (mostly for my calendar) and spotify.

Outlook has a complication and so does Spotify now (Spotify one you have to join the beta test to get it though)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Outlook's complications haven't been updated since iOS 1.0 or something and don't support most of the watch faces. I suggest you complain to support; I'm hoping they'll get around to fixing this eventually.

Does the Spotify beta for Watch work over cellular without your phone present?

Spotify doesn’t work over LTE at all right now. The app is more like a remote for Spotify currently. Hoping eventually they make it more like the Apple Music app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

Best bet for knock off sport loops? Willing to pay a bit more for quicker shipping to us.

Amazon.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just get an S4 dude.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Getting a S4 now would be a good idea anyways, I can't really imagine the 5 being a huge overhaul or anything like that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's the Watch OS 6 stuff: https://www.apple.com/watchos/watchos-preview/

Something about the streaming API being allowed to be used fully now was mentioned on stage so I'm hoping for Spotify and Overcast support at some point.

Also App Store on the Watch! Independence!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Dave posted:

The streaming music app api is coming out with this version of watch OS so presumably Spotify will be able to do that in the fall.

I feel like even then Spotify will complain and say Apple isn't playing fair or whatever.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Watch is at the point now where Apple could definitely update it every other year. The 4 is so god drat good hardware wise that I think at this point the only upgrades I'd want to see are on the software side. Eventually, it would be awesome to see it get thinner with a better battery somehow but I really don't know what they could do.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Any news on Spotify offline support? It’s the main thing keeping me to a Garmin

I’ve heard something of them adding some feature like this in the latest beta? Still waiting for Spotify to go all in and let me use cell service.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Housh posted:

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

Lots of tech people like Marques have been super critical of the AOD. It's gotten to the point where some folks have flat out said to disable it, which seems counter-intuitive to me. Why not get the Series 4 in that case? Anyways I've heard that 6.1 does fix some of the issues.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ragedx posted:

I am expecting to get a watch SE and a Series 6 in the mail today because I couldn't figure out what one I wanted. It looks like it comes down to if that always on display is worth the 120.00 over the SE that is missing it. I could care less about the extra health features of the 6. Do you guys think its worth getting a Series 6 over the SE just for the always on display? I keep going back and forth back and forth. The money isn't that big of a deal, its more the value. Just want some of your opinions. Thanks!

I have a S6 mostly because I liked the blue option but I did upgrade from the 4. My suggestion is that the always on kinda rules but see if you could get a series 5 for a better deal.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Can someone give me the tea on podcast apps for the Watch? I’m kind of tired of RadioPublic not having a Watch app. I’m willing to pay for a good one, no ads and being able to import my current subs and new RSS feeds. 2x speed is a must. Thank you 🙏

Both PocketCasts and Overcast do this but Overcast has the best speed, trim silence, etc options. I don't know how Marco pulled it off but he did.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I end up manually downloading podcasts I want to play on my watch before my run with Outcast. I've found that syncing podcasts from the phone to the watch is very unreliable in both Overcast and Castro.

That's why I ended up going with PocketCasts on this. I don't want to download podcasts to my watch so PC now lets you stream via the watch if you have a cell model.

What I'm saying is, get a cell model.

Violator posted:

Are there any good Watch face gallery sites? Like people submit their watch faces. I’m sure there’s good ideas about complications, layouts, etc that I haven’t thought of or might find useful.

One day Apple will finally allow people to make and design custom watchfaces for a fee and I'll have no problem with that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

Overcast just released an update and redid their watch app. Now you can sync the first 20 podcasts of any playlist. I haven’t done that yet, but the fast forward and rewind seem to be much better now. Just as responsive as the phone app.

Pretty sure that update isn't out yet, unless you mean on the TestFlight. I saw Marco mention something about the watch app getting redone though.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1358541268469620741?s=20

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

If I am on the TestFlight I somehow signed up without knowing. Maybe it releases on different app stores at different times? I'm in Korea and it is definitely out here.

Looking forward to that then, I don’t have it showing up under the App Store yet. TestFlight doesn’t seem to have it either.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah, I just saw the update. If this thing allows streaming I'll come back to it, I don't think the new app does that.

Edit: Hmm, the app still prefers that I download to the watch. It's fine and honestly, I don't expect Marco to ever change it. It is a much nicer watch app though I'll give it credit.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Today’s Apple Watch complaint: the always on display doesn’t show the timer. Just the useless overlay with the current time and the blurred background.

Actually, does watchOS even support apps doing anything with the always on display?

Did you listen to that ATP episode?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Heh, did they discuss it recently? I’m a few episodes behind.

Marco had a whole thing about the AW timers, it’s on episode 417.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve just discovered walkie talkie cause someone turned it on for me and waited and waited and waited until just now to say boooooo. Freaked me out.

Remind me why is walkie talkie a thing? Is it a relic from the skeuomorphism guy?

I use the walkie talkie thing at work with one of my coworkers. It’s cool.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am trying to go on more walks and the AirPods work great for this. However, I wish that Apple Watch allowed you to stream from more apps by themselves.

While I download a book in audible and podcasts in Overwatch, I would love to be able to stream SiriusXM or Amazon Music.

The only music apps that I know stream so far for music are Pandora, Spotify, and the obvious Apple Music. For Podcasts, Pocket Casts does do streaming.

Spotify is pretty wack with it right now though, glad they have a Watch app but once you go out and only have the watch streaming it'll only show the last 20 things you listened to or something. You can't view albums in your library or anything, at least not all of them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The base Music app is the only thing I’ve gotten to work worth a drat for tunes

It’s the best of the bunch at it from my experience.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spotify added offline music downloads finally. https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-05-21/enjoy-more-ways-than-ever-to-use-spotify-on-your-apple-watch-now-with-downloads/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone having issues with music apps not picking up what you’re currently playing? This is on an S6 with 7.5 installed and my phone on 14.6.

The only app working is the now playing thing. Usually if I play something on Spotify it’ll pop up the watch app and sometimes it works but then after a while it doesn’t mirror the song playing on my phone. The Apple Music app doesn’t even come up like it used to also.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nice to see that WatchOS 8 is still going to support the Series 3. It’s probably not going to get all the new features but I won’t have to replace my watch yet.

It’s good to see the 3 get updates still but my condolences to those that have one because that update process really sucks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I got a crack on my S3 from slamming it on something at work by mistake. It wasn’t a major thing, the main part of the screen was alright, it was just a crack in the corner.

I ended up breaking the entire screen eventually because I got home and threw my watch on the bed after taking it off. Saw that sucker just bounce on the bed and down to the tile floor. Face down of course :doh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

I believe I saw this mentioned in this thread but I want to confirm: are we expecting a major revision this year?

Allegedly there’s a redesign happening with the S7. I’ve heard it’s getting a squared off design like the iPhone 12 line. Here’s what Mark Gurman said on it too:

“The Cupertino, California-based tech giant is planning to refresh the line this year — with a model likely dubbed the Apple Watch Series 7 — by adding a faster processor, improved wireless connectivity and an updated screen, according to people with knowledge of the plans.

For this year’s model, Apple has tested thinner display borders and a new lamination technique that brings the display closer to the front cover. The new Watch is likely to be slightly thicker overall, but not in a way that’s noticeable to the user.”

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

priznat posted:

Is there any way to sync timers between watch and iphone? I find if I use siri on the watch for a countdown timer it only sounds on the watch, and same on the phone.

No there’s no way to do this. It’s stupid as hell.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Violator posted:

My Watch had a bunch of temperature warnings (screen kept turning off with a thermometer icon) so I took it into the store and they shipped it off for repair/replacement. I went and bought an $8 watch from Walmart in the mean time, and LOL it's nice to not have to jiggle my wrist to see the time. Even as someone who wore a watch every day as a kid growing up (G-Shock 4-life), I forgot how nice not having to worry about the face or watch hands disappearing after 12 seconds is.

I only wear the AW during work time nowadays outside of everything I’m usually wearing a Casio of some kind since they rule.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hed posted:

Did they change how alerts come up in WatchOS 8?

I used to get a vibration for a text message and it would flash with the name then quickly move on to the message.

Now I will turn my wrist to see what the notification is, and if I stare at the watch it won’t go past the “name” of the conversation so I sit there and stare at it :haw: until I realize I have to tap.

Apple Watch series 5.

I feel like this is a bug.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Weird thing does the S7 show up for anyone when they check under their devices?

Everything else I have shows up fine except the watch.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Mine shows up fine :shrug:

I might just remove it and load it back up then. Thanks for the help.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Any recommendations for fast-charging docks beside the included Apple USB-C? I have an older dock that isn't too bad for trickle charging but charging in the morning quickly is something I'd like while showering.

I bought an Anker for my laptop because, Anker. Good for on the go I suppose, but not fast charging.

The new Belkin 3 in 1’s include fast charging for the 7 series now. They also have a new watch only charger that fast charges https://www.belkin.com/us/chargers/wireless/boost-charge-pro-portable-fast-charger-for-apple-watch/p/p-wiz015/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I started to get back on filling the rings daily but I really don’t care about the stupid awards unless it’s really easy.

I just need to get my counts in since I’m trying to lose some lbs :shobon: