Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Awesome OP. Only thing to add is that for the series 3 LTE, Service is $10 a month on all the US carriers, and probably similar rates elsewhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are the chargers on amazon ok to use or should I need to stick with Apple/Anker like the phone cables?

Also, any cool recommended, cheap-ish docks for nighttime charging?

https://www.amazon.com/Oittm-Bracket-4-Port-Charging-iPhone8/dp/B01LXLUD3I

Works for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Even my replacement S1 is seems much faster than my original S0.

The S1 still has a faster processor than the original, so you would be correct. Not a placebo effect.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I still have no idea what people are regularly using their Apple Watch for that would require a faster processor. I have actively tried to figure out what part of my day would benefit from the new watches and have come up empty, so i'm still rocking the Series 0 black DLC stainless. And sure, it's not as bright, but it's OLED which is sweet if that's the kind of thing you appreciate.

What are y'all using that benefits so much from a fast processor?

Fantastical loaded for forever in the older watches. It still takes time, but def is a little faster I. The S3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I sold my iPhone 7 and shipped it off, but I can’t get my new iPhone for about a day or so, so I went today just using my Apple Watch (I did have my work phone and my iPad).

I didn’t make many phone calls or do Music, but using the watch for a bit of messaging and staying connected to LTE from 930am to 730pm, made it the day and still have 40% battery life to go. Not bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Am I terrible for agreeing with this?

I think $10/month is highway robbery for using data I’ve already paid for. But I got the LTE version. I don’t use LTE 95% of the time since I have my phone with me, but for the 5% I don’t (outside, on a run, whatever), it makes me feel like it’s kind of worth it. It’s still a ripoff though.

It would be worth it for $5 a month. $10 is a bit much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

Thanks. Not sure when I would use this, but now it is my mission to try it.

Any games anyone likes? I don't see myself playing on it a lot, but you never know when you will be stuck somewhere boring.

Games on a 42mm screen just seem like a bad idea. I just never have seen it as a good function on a watch.

Edit: I have to clarify and add one big exception: Pokemon works pretty well for the watch, although in reality you will still mostly play on the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless you use LTE. LTE will murder your battery without breaking a sweat.

I used my watch without my phone for 3 days (so LTE only) and got home with 40% left each day. Granted, I honestly didn’t use it much, just for a bit of messaging and such, no Apple Music, but it did decently well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

You must have been hitting a lot of WiFi. I did a no-WiFi test on my SBSS S3 and saw my watch eat 10% an hour without really doing anything.

I’m not allowed to put my devices on my work WiFi, so it was not on WiFi for sure. It was in one location for most of the time with good coverage, so there wasn’t a low signal factor.

40% after a 9-7 type day is like, 6.5% per hour, so it’s not like I was getting that much better than what you described.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The sport loop is a velcro thing? Is the farbic (or whatever they're made of) soft at least?

Can anyone rec a good sport loop knockoff that they can vouch for?

It’s def a soft fabric. I have always been a big fan of the sport band, but I got the new Apple Watch with the sport loop to have options, and I do have to say it fits really nice. The only complaint I think I have is I think it gets a bit soggy in water and takes time to dry. I don’t think I would wear it for swimming.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Pebble spoiled me with an always on display. I'm not asking for the whole thing with all the colors to be lit up, just a simple 9:13AM.

There are plus signs for that, but I’m the opposite, I don’t think I could go back.

But I’m talking to random customers for my 8 hour work shifts, and when I had a pebble I had to deal with occasional people just snooping on the watch. Also I would be talking to customers and my wife would send something like “this person I’m talking to is a loving idiot” and I’m trying to keep something non Politically Correct from being seen.

The “watch only lights up when it detects you are looking at it” is a great compromise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

So if I'm getting an Apple Watch for someone, and I decide to get GPS + Cellular, and their current iPhone is on Verizon, do I have to purchase a separate contract through Apple with Verizon at the time of purchase? Or do I just throw the phone at them and tell them to figure it out?

If I could get the contract separately it'd be ideal, but if not, maybe I'll get the GPS only..

I’m a bit late to this, but buy it from Apple and it’ll work fine from Verizon. The only time I had an issue was on an Apple Watch sold by sprint (no idea why, I couldn’t figure it out).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

Did you buy this one, by any chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Vati-Sport-L...Vati+sport+loop

I just received one of those, and while it does feel a lot nicer than the sport band, I’m having the same problem with the lugs fitting loosely in the watch itself. Does anyone know if the Apple sport loop has this problem?

Neither of my Apple sport loops ever had that problem.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you live in Manhattan?

Apple stores are busy, and especially so since the battery fiasco.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

My beaten-up old Pebble is finally giving up the ghost (just in time for the server shut down!) and I'm eyeing up an Apple Watch as a replacement since most of the wearables I've seen are around the same price. Is the Series 1 still worth a poo poo, or should I just go straight for the Series 3? Keep in mind I'd mostly be using it for checking notifications, controlling my music/podcasts/etc on my phone while walking and as a timer in the kitchen without having to fish my phone out every five minutes.

Def series 3. The older arches will probably get more support than the first gen Apple Watch that is now losing support, but the 3 is worth the difference speed wise alone.

xzzy posted:

Don't buy anything but the series 3 at this point.

Or hold off until fall if you can because people are thinking a new revision is due.

No way to know until fall, but The Apple Watch cycle so far has been longer than the iPhone cycle. Every 1.5 to 2 years. I don’t know what would differentiate the next Apple Watch at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The haptic buttons on iPhones are good so wgaf

I would be skeptical on the crown having good haptic feedback for scrolling , otherwise agreed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I guess I'm more worried about sand and scratching the gently caress out of it. Should def do a quick rinse after ocean water in general prob

I’ve been using an Apple Watch since the launch fit hr first gen. I bang it accidentally every once and a while, Taken it into the ocean, etc. my first gen I had one noticeable scratch, otherwise the watches are way more durable than you would think. I don’t think any type of case or screen protector is necessary, if you’re worried get Apple care (I didn’t bother getting Apple care).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Those AT&T users on grandfathered unlimited plans are the most loyal AT&T customers on the planet and the company treats them like absolute poo poo.

I worked for ATT for almost 3 years.

I assure you, ATT despises, and I really mean, despises, their current customers.

Their whole culture is around new customers, or current customers adding devices. And there should be a good bit on that, but man, they miss the boat on retention.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

As a former AT&T employee as well, I'm sure you know AT&T despises all of it's current employees too and looks wistfully at each new prospective employee who might finally rid them of this deadweight they've grown to hate so...so much.

Could not have said it better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like using mine to control my phone playback in the car without having to reach over and pull the phone out of its holder. Same goes when I’m in lab and the phone’s in my pocket. When driving I can also “hey Siri” into the watch to start a call or dictate a message/send a canned message which is nice.

Also I like being able to hatch eggs in Pokémon Go while puttering around the lab or apartment. Don’t judge me I got back into playing because of the upcoming Switch game :shrug: .

Hell yeah. I work retail and I get killer steps in Pokémon via the Watch app.

I’m torn on this. I can’t see much of an upgrade on the new watch outside of the bigger screen, so it probably won’t make sense upgrading from a Series 3. So me upgrading would depend on selling the series 3, but the watch hasn’t held its value as well as the iPhones have done.

But I tend to upgrade anyway, so I’ll probably end up getting it and continue being a schmuck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

This is going to sound so dorky but because I like modular so much I save it for holidays or road trips.

I’m opposite. I like Modular, but it’s my work watch face. It has the most info. When I’m not at work, it’s either Chronograph, Numerals or Solar.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I’d probably just wait it out and buy a S4. Or get a S3 on discount.

Should be able to sell a S2 for more than a $50 deductible though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Seems the S3 is only going to be offered in gray/spacegray from here on out.

I was planning to buy my wife one in rose gold for her birthday next month, but I guess I’ll be chasing third party stock before they run out, and no where but Apple has adjusted pricing.

Man , that’s a bummer. I don’t think they need to keep white, but rose gold is super popular.

So any S3 Watch users here upgrading? Honestly, right now I’m thinking no. The resale market on Apple watches isn’t great, so for the price difference Im thinking not worth it. Plus, I’ll be getting a XS, and if they ever update iPads an iPad, so I just don’t think I need to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Is there some carrier that will just let me add an Apple Watch alone for $10? I don’t really care about my same phone number working, I just want data.

I was pretty sure none of the carriers will. The setup between Apple and the carriers requires it to have number share activated. But You can always ask T-Mobile to confirm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

So what's the consensus on LTE in the watch these days? The initial reviews when the S3 launched weren't so hot, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

The watch last year had coverage issues at first, but they’re largely fixed. I don’t use LTE often with my phone, but it now transitions pretty seamlessly, keeps a good connection, and battery life is fine.

10 months ago I did a weekend with the watch on cellular and it made it through each day fine. Maybe 30% at end of the day, albeit light use (my personal phone was getting replaced, I was using my work phone).

FYI LTE on the watch works best if your phone is still powered on wherever it is. If your phone is dead or turned off, you’ll only get calls and iMessage. Any other notifications (news, WhatsApp, whatever), the phone has to be on to push the notifications to the watch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Basically when Series 5 comes out

It’s too early to say either way. The series 3 went on sale probably by around Christmas , and definitely within 6-7 months. I love my Apple Watch, but it definitely does not retain its value like iPhones and iPads do.

Example: I have a series 3 Apple Watch, and I have a iPad Mini 2. I checked the trade ins on both on swappa:

Series 3: recently sold $240-250

iPad mini 2: recently sold for $140-150

The iPad mini 2 launched Nov, 2013. Aka it launched with the iPhone 5S. The Apple Watch launched Sept 2017.

That’s both a high depreciation for the Watch (for Apple product standards) and a really good value retention for the Mini 2.

rage-saq posted:

No just get one, the S4 is amazing.

Rant that I just posted above, unless someone has a Watch Series 3 this is probably the right answer. The series 4 screen is really, really good. I may be very jealous.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The digital watch faces are better than the clock ones, but there are a few I don’t mind.

My 4 main watch faces are
Modular
Chronograph
Numerals
Solar

Modular I always use at work. The others I tend to switch to off work and I tend to just randomly choose on what I feel like putting on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Disagree, raise to wake on Apple Watch works fine for me. Always on display could be nice, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Are there more places to buy a financed Apple Watch through you're carrier aside from Best Buy, Target, and the carrier store itself?

Costco?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So work gave me a free Apple Watch series 3 38mm (can’t sell it, it’s for use).

So I’m giving my 42mm series 3 either to my wife, or selling it if she ends up not liking it.

I put in a sport loop band from my 42mm and it clicked, but it sticks out just a bit (awkwardly). I kind of assumed my bands wouldn’t fit, just checking to see whether it’s that they don’t fit, or they just look dumb because the ends are bigger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah it's just what I use it for...notifications, timers, hey siri...doesn't need much, and it sucks to have to spend that much just to keep doing that. I also don't want to downgrade to an aluminum model. I don't want to get rid of it either, since I have really come to rely on it for notifications. Maybe come december I'll shop for a used 3. Thanks.

The watches have not held their value that well, so I think the resale market is where you should shop.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Ford added a watch app. I can lock, unlock, and start my car with my watch. The future is now.

That is pretty awesome. Have you seen a delay at all?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

You could keep an old sim-less iphone in a drawer at home to do configuration stuff. But over the course of a day a cellular watch should do okay out of range of a phone.. that's the premise behind giving it a cellular connection.

I bet battery life would suck though, keeping that radio running is gonna be a big drain.

I actually went 3 weeks with just using my work phone and my cellular Apple Watch (sold my iPhone, waited for new one to be available), and battery drain was maybe 10% more per day.

The issue is actually that the cellular plan for the watch would almost definitely have to be removed on whatever Carrier plan. All the carriers have to link the watch number to whatever iPhone it’s linking to, and if you change to an android phone the system will insist in some way to remove the watch (or not work until you do) because the system will see the watch isn’t compatible with whatever android phone.

Short answer: Apple Watch definitely needs an iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackhunter64 posted:

Pub quiz cheating.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Those people are the worse :argh:

Agreed. Don’t cheat at pub trivia. Do what I do and bring smart friends.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lol at giving your kids your PIN.

Just want to mention I work with the general public, and a lot of parents give their kids their lock codes to their phones so they can play whatever game Without the parent having to type in the lock code. Super bad idea, but most parents just are not tech savvy to begin with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I’m upgrade my Apple Watch, but I would be really torn on the always on display. My first apple warch was me switching from Pebble (RIP) to it, and I remember liking that it was NOT always on. Especially because I face customers all day, and it was really awkward with the pebble to get notifications like “gently caress so and so” and having to quickly turn my watch away from a customer.

From the looks, I’m assuming apple wont be showing notifications unless it’s raised to look, but still. I have never felt like I needed back any type of always on display.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sport loop supremacy.

Sport loop is best, but sport band for if you’re going to be near or in water.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

god this blows posted:

I sure as hell hope not too. I’m about to upgrade from a series 1 to a series 5

Not to justify it, but buying an Apple product right at launch means you risk dealing with bugs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Is it not? I swear I asked ATT when I got my 3 and they said if I deactivate service then reactivate down the road they charge me $36 or whatever. You can’t just flip it on and off like a light switch.

For the unlimited call , text and data, yeah all the carriers charge a setup fee each time you turn it in. So if you want it on for your vacation in the summer, $40.

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Even if you deactivate it the watch will still use the cell signal (though not as much) which is why you can still call 911 from a watch with no active service.

US law is that any device that accesses a network has to be able to call 911 at no cost, whether service is active or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Depends what I’m doing. For runs/walks, I use stock Workouts with the Health Fit app on my phone to sync my data to Strava. For lifting, I use Strong. For beer league hockey I use Hockey Tracker.

Serious question: do you worry about killing your Apple Watch playing hockey? I was never willing to risk wearing a watch or whatever whenever i (badly) played hockey.