Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Matt Zerella posted:

One week with this "OEM" stainless link bracelet and loving it so far. Quality is very good, and it hasn't unclasped once. I went with he regular stainless, not the black so I can't speak to the quality of the paint on that one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8NG2VW/

The stainless ones are good enough. I had a top4cus SS link band for my SS S0 and was fine with it, but I was dissatisfied with the SBSS for my s2. The paint never looked right and the tiny flaws seemed to be magnified by it.
Eventually I got an authentic SBSS link band for 180 off eBay and it’s been on my wrist for like a year, totally worth it. Not $450 worth it though.
The real SBSS link band has the same impervious, silky tDLC finish the watch does, and the actual Apple link band has better fit and tolerances in the links and clasp. Everything snaps together solidly and moves effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Xenomorph posted:

So I scratched my sapphire display already. Can these be buffed out?
I saw some recommendations for diamond paste.

Give it some time, it might not be a scratch. A lot of people have thought they've scratched their sapphire when it turned out to be material transfer from something the sapphire scratched. It can wear off or be removed.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eddiewalker posted:

My watch has been on silent since day-one. Haptic only forever.

Seriously, just like my phone. The only sensible option.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Duckman2008 posted:

I used my watch without my phone for 3 days (so LTE only) and got home with 40% left each day. Granted, I honestly didn’t use it much, just for a bit of messaging and such, no Apple Music, but it did decently well.

You must have been hitting a lot of WiFi. I did a no-WiFi test on my SBSS S3 and saw my watch eat 10% an hour without really doing anything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
It’s not pictured. The picture he showed was to highlight how loving good the real space black is, it really is amazing.
I have a real SBSS link band (eBay deal) and can confirm it makes the knockoffs look like utter poo poo, no comparison by miles. The fit and finish is also a lot better, the knockoffs aren’t BAD but the real thing really shows off how Apple is one of the greatest in the world with precision metal design, polishing and now also at the tDLC coating.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Braincloud posted:

Counterpoint: nah, they don’t.

quoted for truth
space black superiority

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

The only thing I have against Space Black is, Apple doesn't make a single leather band with black lugs for whatever reason.

They make the space black link band though, which is the best band for the best edition of the watch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RoboCop 3 posted:

Last question before I make a purchase: any issues with the space black stainless steel finish? Is it any more prone to scratches or blemishes than the other SS case types? I know SS is heavier than aluminum, but I like the look better and the sapphire screen is nice, too.

Much much less prone, the tDLC coating is actually harder than the sapphire screen. It’s the best Apple Watch you can get.
It is also the same color as the sapphire screen, so it all just blends in and looks awesome.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Froist posted:

:same:

I gave up cash over a year ago except where there's no other option - contactless is similarly near-universal in the UK. I always use my watch to pay at self-checkouts (and have vetoed store loyalty cards because of it), but tend to fall back to using my card rather than phone with cashiers - it's still a more obvious signal to have a card in your hand at a checkout rather than a phone.

Plus I actually find ApplePay on the iPhone X to be a step backwards in quick usability - "double-press power button, show face, hold to reader" (or more absentmindedly/instinctively "hold to reader, remember it needs the deliberate payment unlock, double press power, show face, hold to reader again") vs the old "hold to reader, touch thumb".

Double tap power when taking phone out of pocket, faceID, present to terminal. It’s faster than touchID.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Alfalfa posted:

I looked in SA-Mart and it's pretty bare, but I'm wondering if anyone is selling a Series 2 or 3 42mm watch by chance.

Let me know if so as I'd like to grab a used one since I'm only going to be using it for a few things (texts, podcasts/music, running/exercise, voice memos, weather)

Ive got an s2 SBSS that I keep meaning to put up for sale since I got my s3 SBSS
It’s mint and still has a few months of AppleCare on it
PM me if interested

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know if there's a good way to get MS Outlook on the iPhone to send meeting notifications/reminders to the watch?

I don't particularly care about emails but meetings I'm always fumbling for my phone to determine.

Should be included with Outlook alerts. Set the notifications to trigger on the phone and mirror to watch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looking at the Apple site, it appears my only option for a stainless now is series 4 cellular? Did they not make series 3 in stainless?

I'll be upgrading my space black stainless s3 to an s4 if you are interested. Space Black is the best apple watch, the tungsten DLC is harder to scratch than the sapphire.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
AT&T is processing my S4 SBSS order, says it will be here with the phone next week. I hope they weren't lying.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is it expected that the black stainless will be more scratch proof than the other two colors? In terms of the body.

Yes. The space black stainless has been around since s0 and is time tested for it’s indestructibility. My s3 looks brand new as does my s2. Like, if I cleaned it real quick and put the original plastic back on you would 100% not be able to tell it’s not brand new.
Space black stainless is the best Apple Watch. Looks the best and is impervious to scratches.
My s4 I ordered is also SBSS, I’ll never stray.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Disabling Raise to Speak Siri was about all I needed to fix with WatchOS5, which seems a lot like a more filled out WatchOS4. I’m ok with that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vintersorg posted:

I hope us Series 3 havers will get these new faces. :negative:

There are some new watch faces for S3 in WatchOS5, however, they are not the new high density ones that the S4 will get. I don’t think there are enough pixels to do it well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Anyone interested in an SBSS S3LTE? If so I’ll throw it up on samart

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eddiewalker posted:

My red dot 🔴 is cycling between “now playing” and “phone.” I can’t think of a time when I’d want to initiate a call that way, but I keep hitting it when I want “now playing.”

Any way to make the Phone icon go away?

edit: bug maybe? Watch didn’t seemed to get the message that I had ended a FaceTime call with my kid 3 hours ago. Maybe because I ended it via Bluetooth? Making another FaceTime call made the icon go away.

Ive never seen this phone icon.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

MarcusSA posted:

The new icons at the top are actually one of the new things I really like. Being able to tap the dot to go to now playing or the phone is super convenient.

Yeah I’ve seen the now playing but not phone. Love the now playing one.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
My 44m SBSS S4 just arrived, my SBSS link band from an S2 still matches up flawlessly in both color and form which is great since I guess they aren’t making it anymore.
Apple isn’t joking about the 42 and 44 sizes being almost identical. Setting just the cases next to each other really shows how they are so close you might as well consider them the same, though the thinness of the S4 is notable. The bottom dome of the watch is much shorter so it feels like it’s a lot closer to your wrist too.
As is no surprise to anyone the new screen is stunning and I’m still messing around with complications.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Some dumb segregation poo poo going on. The new Infographic Modular face, which is the new higher information density made-for-S4 face does not have a Messages complication. Wtf
I just want to see if I have any messages and clip on it if I want to reply, this is like my 2nd most used feature.
In order to use it I have to use the old modular face which doesn’t have the rich complications.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

japtor posted:

^^ :wtc: does the analog clock infograph one have it?

As mentioned should be fine. I guess the caveats I can think of would be the thing mentioned about some bands/materials not liking (salt) water, use the water lock thing to spit water out afterwards, and just rinse it in clean water when you get the chance.

No, both infographic faces ONLY allow for New Improved Rich Complications, of which there is not one for messages.
The older watch faces DO NOT allow for New Improved Rich Complications.
God damnit, the new faces and Rich Complications are really nice but messages is critical and I’m using the old Modular until this is fixed.
Serious WTF here

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bum the Sad posted:

I wonder if the got rid of the link in anticipation of the AirPower since it can't lay flat... Then those stupid fuckers failed to engineer it.

The slightly taller and thinner nature of the S4 made my link fit even better. Before I would wish for one link to go in they was slightly bigger than the others so I could get it to fit a little looser.
The S4 is pure win. Except for the messages Rich Complications bullshit

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I kept seeing reviewers saying the S4 is the iPhone 4S of the watches but I disagree. It’s the XS of watched with the 44 being the Max and the 40 being the regular. The edge to edge nature and very high speeds make this thing so effortless to use and it all just looks so loving good.

I’m running my obligatory “run the watch from full charge until it dies” test I do with every new watch I get.
Going off memory:
My 42mm S0
My 42mm S2 SBSS got 2 days and 20 hours and was at like 4% battery life.
My 42mm S3 SBSS LTE got 3 days and 8 hours and was at like 9%
Let’s see what the 44mm S4 SBSS LTE gets.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

japtor posted:

I remember the first watch came out in April...while space black didn't ship until like June/July. That's a bit of an exception of course.

I don't remember the others but about a month isn't too bad for an Apple launch, and going by the past it has a decent chance of shipping sooner.

Got my SBSS 44mm S4 on launch day. The stock was probably low and launch day supply levels went fast but I’m sure they will top up quickly.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone own one of these through AT&T? Apparently AT&T straight up never 44mm black stainless got any for sale in stores and online says "Out of Stock" and not even something hopeful like a month-late delivery time.

Got my 44mm SBSS S4 from AT&T and it arrived on Friday.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Space Black has always been the best apple watch.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 24, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LPG Giant posted:

What's that bottom right complication?

Carrot weather

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Skeezy posted:

Infographic Modular does not have the now playing complication at all right? I’m not missing something here?

Legacy complications aren’t good enough for HD WATCH FACES
Also there’s the dot that is at the top of the watch face when something is playing. It’s like a free complication

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I’m weak willed and switched from a 42mm S3 to a 40mm S4 while checking them out since they had 1 left in stock. The bigger display on a smaller frame is really loving awesome, the dumb rear end watch face with 8 complications is cool and everything is even faster compared to the already fast S3.

Gotta call T-Mobile now to cancel the old watch line since apparently there isn’t a seamless watch to transfer the service from one watch to the other because of the esim cards?

Basically yeah, it opens a new line even if you say “transfer cellular” in the watch pairing. It’s easy to cancel with your carrier though, the backend infrastructure probably isn’t there yet like it is for mobile.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is it worth waiting for the Series 4 to go on sale?

No just get one, the S4 is amazing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Got my new SSB and holy moley this thing is beautiful and fast. I think this is the version where everything has been figured out and they’ve been able to execute what they envisioned for the Watch all along.

My only complaint is that the watch doesn’t come in a fancy plastic box like my S0 did.

I’m glad I kept my S0 plastic box. The package for new SS watches is nice, I like the little foam sweater they made for it; but, the older style jewelry boxes were better.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

comper posted:

Is there a reason I can’t use the Home or Messages complications on the newer watch faces (infograph / infograph modular)?

Because for some reason Apple didn't make GLORIOUS RICH COMPLICATIONS for these mundane applications that were WORTHY OF FITTING ON THE GREATEST WATCH FACES KNOWN TO MAN.
Like seriously I am still rocking regular modular because I use messages all the loving time and I am more than a little grumpy that I can't use it on infographic modular.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eames posted:

Sizing question: I�m looking to buy my first Apple Watch and am pretty close to ordering a 40mm stainless blind because I really dislike the look of large watches, smart or not. My wrist is 180mm. Did anybody order the smaller one blind and actually hate it?

Looking at the Apple Store iOS app�s �actual size� picture the 40mm looks �a bit too small� and the 44mm looks �way too large�.

The 44mm is not a big watch by modern standards. Watches are huge these days, the 44mm is pretty small in comparison, it’s extremely streamlined and smooth and has the appearance of being a much sleeker watch than normal watches in similar sizes.
Go down to Best Buy or an Apple store and try one on, and keep in mind that your initial feelings will be that any watch of notable size is “big” but really it’s something you will get used to very quickly and realize the 44mm is a perfect size with how it is really able to use that stretched screen.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I just wish Apple would push out an update to allow iMessages on Infographic. It’s infuriating that they didn’t allow non-Infographic complications to run on the Infographic faces.
Also, I want an all white Infographic modular face

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Space Black Stainless Steel has a new black sports band that is lighter than the old black sports band. It’s still pretty much black though.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Modular white face for life. I’d like to use Infographic modular but that loving missing iMessage complication...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

fourwood posted:

Raise to wake is finicky enough that I would also appreciate the time being shown constantly. I guess this makes me a weirdo! But so be it.

Finicky? I’ve had an AW for 3.5 years now and since WatchOS 2.0 it’s been pretty much 100% on activation on raise.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
12.1 on my XS Max and 5.1 on my AW 4 went just fine and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

stirlo posted:

If you want the watch protected from gym weights and other similar things; search amazon for “Apple Watch bicep” or armband… a friend uses this and apparently gets even better heart rate measurements than at their wrist. There’s even one that looks like a very long Nike strap from Tefeca that looks like it won’t get too gross.

I use a chest strap w/my PC for doing my HRM + kcals on Beat Saber streams along with Apple watch for workout tracking and they are very very close. After 2 hours there is only a 2-3% discrepancy in kcals and generally when I glance at the heart rate they are within 5% unless my heart rate is up at 180ish, then the watch goes over by a bit more.
Seriously for wrist hrm tracking accuracy the Apple Watch is amazing.