Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you're not super concerned about the alerts, I've found that Carrot without a sub still works perfectly fine as a complication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve got a Series 1 and trying to decide if I want to jump to the 4. Waterproofing would be nice. How good is the fitness tracking for water with the series 3?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

rience it's been wrong about when it thinks I'm sleeping so I need to edit the data.
I just want an app that let's me manually record when I was in bed because the automatic detection doesn't work right in the apps I tried, and then use the sensors to determine when I'm actually asleep.

Lark guesses but allows you to edit the guess. But it's a whole life health coach deal that you probably don't want.

But the real thing you want to do is use Siri Shortcuts to set up an action for logging your sleep time. I use it for logging weight and I just checked and indeed you can log sleep times as well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

This picture isn't mine but …

What the gently caress is going on there? That's 121 hours or roughly four hours of exercise every single day in October. Who has time to exercise four hours every single day other than professional athletes?

I feel like I would just give up without even trying cause it's for all intents and purposes impossible.

The monthly challenges are tuned to what you have been doing but moreso. So I’m being asked to walk a lot of KMs because I’ve been walking a lot. Last month my challenge was to close the green ring 16 times because, uh, I hadn’t been active much in August. In August my challenge was to close my red ring 25 times because I spent most of July lying around.

So this person being asked to do 4 hours a day must have already been doing like 3.5 or something.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

EpicNemesis posted:

Dear Dark Sky,
Thank you for your insanely accurate weather forecasts. Would you kindly fix your complication to a usable state?

I ended up paying for the annual thing with Carrot because it pulls from Dark Sky but updates the complications reliably.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Raise to wake is just janky enough for me (sometimes it doesn't interpret my movement properly, sometimes the screen turns off faster than I want it to) that I can see the appeal of always on, which is the whole point of a watch, glanceability. It's clearly a less than ideal compromise where we trade off glanceability for modularity and power of the displays and device.

But until the Apple Watch stops being a lit screen, we definitely don't want an always on display. The watch glows something fierce in the dark.

Maybe e-ink will one day have the resolution, speed, and colour reproduction to compete with OLED.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my new SBSS 44mm and man, I didn't know I was such a fuccing goober when it came to reading analogue cloccs. I just look at it and gotta stay silent for a few seconds, then I got it.

Let me help you feel better. https://marco.org/2018/10/09/infograph-legibility

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

xzzy posted:

I was gonna do that, but two days after the watch was announced I got my first visible scuff on my s3 and gave up on that plan because from what I hear apple is super finicky about that stuff.

So I'll just swappa it once the S4 is consistently in stock, will get slightly more of a return anyways.

My experience is that going in in person, the people tend to be lenient about stuff like scuffs but then I read that the mail in experience is bad. My S1 had all kinds of scrapes and a tiny notch out of the crown and the person serving me was like “reasonable wear and tear”.

E: But then I got like $60 because it was an S1

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I keep forgetting about the monthly challenges until it’s too late to hit them or the month turns.

I wish the sharing screen (which I do not use) could be replaced by a tracker for my monthly challenge (which I would use if I could keep it top of mind).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If one of your iPhone contacts favorites has a picture associated with it, and you set the complication to that favorite.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

aka every weather complication ever.

My friend have you heard the good news about CARROT weather?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Just got a series 4, and I enjoy it for activity tracking - but what Watch faces are you guys using? I don’t like most of them and am struggling to find a configuration of the infograph that I’m satisfied with..

I use infograph for my regular wear, with carrot weather (showing condition and high/low temp), activity, date, and sunrise/sunset in the corners. The main face has the timer at 9 o’clock and the solar system (because it’s charming) at 6 and the others blank because the face can get really busy.

To the left, I have an infograph modular face with complications for activity, workout, podcast app (overcast) and music, with Carrot as the big complication. I swipe over to that face when I’m going for a walk.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Woke up this morning with a fully charged watch 4. Should have paid attention when I saw it say 93% battery as I was getting in the shower but thought nothing of it. At 11:30am, got a notification that I had 10% battery left. Not sure how to even begin to diagnose what happened.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

bitprophet posted:

Does it actually look for such patterns on its own constantly, or only when you explicitly use the ECG app to take a trace? I thought it was the latter, given it seems to require the fingertip on the crown and all.

I went through the setup and beyond the put your finger on the crown thing, there is an option to set up automatic detection. I am not sure what that is doing differently but you have to put in your data separately, it has a bunch of language about how it checks and doesn't notify you unless it gets the same results multiple times and that it can't detect all Afib, contact a Dr if you get the notification but haven't been diagnosed etc.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Conducting a poll: which is the best case color?

Aluminum only, since we know gold is the best for stainless steel.

I’m happy with my ‘gold’ for aluminum, though it makes choosing watch bands a little harder since not all colours go with it like they do with space grey. Also it helps to think of the case as copper or bronze rather than gold. It’s really not a gold.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I have a Series 5 44mm SS. I have been wearing mine today since 6am (it's 7:30pm) and I have 59% battery power left. This is typical. I rarely go to bed with less than 45% battery. I have AoD on. What I don't have enabled is cellular. For the people running into problems, do you have cellular and AoD on? I am guessing they are both battery sucks and together, start to push people to the edge of trouble.

Given that even the people paying for cellular are saying they almost never used it, I'd just turn that off and see how it goes. You can always turn the radio back on if you'd like to use it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, I was suggesting that you turn off the green cell radio button that's in the control panel, not deactivate the service if you have it (I don't). And I don't think that LTE is particularly bad on this edition, just that it seems like the watch is being pushed to using more of its battery budget every day than before with the addition of AoD and if you'e looking for ways to save battery without losing features, turning off LTE might work for some people.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You should say what size it is. I’m guessing 42mm but I don’t think you say.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I cannot stop laughing at the idea of gifting someone an obsolete, bulging wrist computer—held together by super glue and shrieking at you in Chinese.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Focused probably. They will probably still release a new iPhone though.

Rumors are that it's coming in October, so there's probably going to be a second fall event.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does the always on display work really? Does it affect battery life?

It's a OLED screen. It dims the display and sets more pixels to full black and reduces the refresh rate to 1/sec. This all saves on battery.

It detects you looking at it like the older watches but since the time is always visible, it's more glanceable and the experience of looking at it is better. There are lots of situations where I can look at my watch without doing the cartoonish gesture to wake it up.

For me, the jump to always-on was significant, but now I'm pretty satisfied with the watch and not sure what else they'd add to it that'd make me want to update, so I expect to stick here for awhile.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
So the new gold series 6 is a different yellower gold than the series 5. Which is fine except that I am happy with my 5 and had been hoping to get a matching Milanese loop for the 5. Which they no longer sell.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think it makes sense. If you are price sensitive enough to be buying used apple products the cosmetic premium of the SS versions won’t matter much to you. And since the performance is the same then why not just get the aluminum?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That’s great news. I had given up on trying to get that function back.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
New US band/face from the international collection has strong "New England yacht club founding member" energy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You can turn off the watch waking up when you hit the desk. It's called nightlight mode or something in settings.

I like it because it's a clock that doesn't glow all night, just when I want it. But you can turn it off if it's a bother.

e: it's called Nightstand mode.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sefal posted:

I’m just gonna keep on going with my AW5. Its been amazing. Don’t see a need to get the 7

Same. I haven’t figured out what the blood oxygen sensor would do for me and it seems like next year there’s more sensor stuff coming if the rumours are to be believed.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

What do y'all use this thing for? after a couple days it's nice to have a watch on my wrist again, but I don't have other uses for it - seems mainly for fitness stuff?

Here’s the stuff I do with the watch in rough order of frequency.

Unlocking phone with the mask on.
Controlling podcasts/music.
Weather & sunrise/set on my wrist.
Fitness/health stuff.
Unlocking computer.
Yelling at Siri to set timers/alarms/reminders.
Apple Pay.
2FA app for work.
Dictating text messages.
Check calendar.
Ignore notifications.
Turn by turn directions without looking at a screen.
Wrist flashlight.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Comes with the cable but not the brick.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I had enough problems with overcast on the watch that I just took it off my watch and let the default media controls handle things.

That was a few versions ago but I haven’t missed it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you really don’t want your screen banged up, the sapphire does the job. My series 5 stainless looks brand new. But that’s quite a bit of money just to avoid scratches.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

PirateDentist posted:

My solo loop has a small cut right in the middle of the band, so I fear its life is limited now. Is there a knockoff one worth buying, or is this a case of don't be a cheapskate on the thing holding onto your expensive watch?

I have had mixed luck with knock off bands irritating my skin. The knock off band brands seems to rotate through randomly generated names on Amazon, so recommendations rarely remain valid for long.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The laser keeps going a bit after you stop the workout so it can track how quickly your heart rate goes back down to baseline.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I thought the problem was that the watch’s concave back means it needs something with a dent in it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Using the shortcuts app, you can make a shortcut that prompts you for a number which it then writes to Health.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How much have the sensors added since series 5 mattered? I think that’s the O2 and temperature?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
stopping at 40 meters to wave and point to the Mariana trench.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple refurb store has series 7 for $300.
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/watch/apple-watch-series-7

I’m pretty happy with my 5 but had convinced myself I wanted to go down to 41mm. Need to get by a store to see if I’m right that it’ll look better, but hope the refurb store isn’t out before I do.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you are already strongly considering the stainless steel which is not much more expensive, then since this has never existed before, I think it makes a lot of sense to try on the Ultra. The much longer battery life and the programmable action button both seem like exciting improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've gotten the warning while putting away dishes.

I assume it's because there are some noises that happen by your hands that are pretty loud out there but not really powerful, and the mic is looking for sounds that are equally loud across your whole body because the watch assumes it's measuring sounds from loudspeakers or whatever which can be safely assumed to be the same volume at wrist and ear level.