Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How long does the AW6 last practically nowadays? Since I'm hopping over to an iPhone 12 now, there's interest in one. Can it last at least 24 hours when I disable AOD and ancillary things like GPS and Wifi? I'd like to wear it 23/7 from shower to shower. --edit: And use it as vibration alarm clock.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t disable anything. You don’t gain much my disabling AOD anyway. The main purpose of the watch is to have everything on. If you’re disabling stuff, just get a Garmin then. It defeats the whole purpose of all the AW features.
I have a Galaxy Watch right now, and when I disable things like Wifi and GPS, it'll funnel everything over the phone via Bluetooth. Functionality is kept up, so long the phone is there, which is typically is. But saves quite some battery. Doesn't the AW do similar?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Got my AW6, it's a nice device. Raise to wake could be a little less sensitive.

That said, I'm surprised by the size. I'm by no means anywhere near swole, but watching reviews retroactively after ordering, I was wondering whether the 44mm was maybe too large. Turns out most reviewers I looked at seem to have scrawny as gently caress wrists. If the watch were 46mm or maybe even 48mm, it'd be fine with it.

Also, I wish the heartbeat middle complication would be a rolling window.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any third party apps that do something with the ECG data? Maybe some machine learning based stuff giving terrible advice and diagnostics?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What I'm surprised is that the ECG app doesn't measure HRV. I'd wager it's probably more accurate at it than the optical measurement. At least there's never HRV data points around the date and time I ran the ECG.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Get up the five minutes later and do your morning routine a little slower.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Only reason I got the S6 is for the HR sensor, because some sports nerds on Youtube (DCRainmaker, DesFit and also some swiss dude who's doing scatter plots for the devices he tests) pitted the various models (and other watches and fitness trackers) against expensive chest straps, and the S6 seems the most accurate so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

The other advantage S5 has over the SE is the heart rate sensor; even if you don't care about EKG, you can put your finger on the crown and get 1-second resolution readings instead of 5-second from the optical.
This works outside of the ECG app? --edit: Oh yeah, it does. Neat. It seems to take a while to adjust, because the first few measurements have quite some variance before it settles.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

what difference does it make if the battery is at 60% vs 35% when you put it on the puck?
Amount of total charge cycles before it goes to poo poo. How important that is depends on how long you intend to own it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It’s still there, and it kind of has a purpose. It’s the only way to force manual HRV readings, even tho it ain’t explicit about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bleh, newest rumors are about optical blood glucose monitoring in the series 7. I sure hope it'll turn out unreliable as gently caress (if true, anyway), because if not, I want that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe. There's plenty of papers about optical glucose measuring, but some go back a decade or more. Nothing happened in that regard so far. Yet.

Probably something that requires regular calibration, like Samsung's optical blood pressure measurements.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That Nike silicone sports wrist band seemed to have inflamed my median nerve, because of the constant pressure on it, even tho it was relatively loose (but not loose enough to ruin HR tracking). That's sure some loving fun.

--edit: After some more googling, it turns out that it's some useless tendon that evolution didn't get rid of (palmaris longus tendon), and it is a tendonitis I guess. I should have figured nerves don't run that close under the skin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 29, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does it still try to ID the upper uncovered half of your face, or will it just blanket unlock, if the watch is close by?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish I could use Apple Pay, but practically all banks over here in Belgium insist on Bancontact, which is a decades old but perfectly working solution, that also supports nowadays NFC and works fine on Android. Except the iPhone, because Apple apparently doesn't allow third party app to fiddle with the NFC transceiver nilly-willy. :|

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fourwood posted:

I could be way wrong but I'm under the impression from an American perspective that basically anything NFC-capable should be able to use Apple Pay very very easily, almost to the point where not accepting Apple Pay can be more effort than accepting it depending on your POS.
It's more the enabling Apple Pay thing that's a hindrance. Debit and credit cards need to be enabled for use with Apple Pay over here in my country, and they're typically not, except for one or two banks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm using my watch as an alarm. No radio alarm clock with a loud screeching anymore.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering that poo poo stretches out relatively quickly, and that when the protective coating rubs off that it'll cause skin irritations, I wonder why everyone springs for these solo loops instead of the nylon sports loops.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No idea, just things I read on various forums about the watch.

Also, I sure hope they'll (iOS 15?) eventually allow to change the notification sounds on the watch. I'm lately getting messaged a lot and that Ding! sound starts driving me up a wall. loving Apple. --edit: Complaints on macrumors.com going back to 2015, I guess that'll change exactly never. Again, loving Apple. I mean, what the hell?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 5, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Blood glucose, even if not entirely accurate, would probably an interesting metric to have when managing one's diet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All the watch sees is that it's moving in an unanchored 3D space and has to make sense of it. If the vibrations/motions induced look similar to the pattern it's looking for the handwashing detection, it's gonna assume that. If it's a mower you're pushing/guiding by hand, your wrist is probably going to move around a lot, if there's the slightest uneven terrain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The rushing of water probably looks more like noise, making it harder to discern, whereas some baby crying leaves a decent spectral fingerprint. Things aren't always as easy as one expects at first glance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So is a significant part of the money donated to some cause, or why is it that expensive? I get that Apple is a luxury brand, but a 100 bux is a little over the top, if it’s just pure profit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zwille posted:

It’s the same price as the not-donation bands, yeah I guess it’s just QC (maybe) and margins (mostly), being right around the price range where people will buy it.
Wait what? They're all that expensive? I scrolled past them really fast back then, since I don't like that style. Would have figured them to be in line with all other bands, which are 50 bux.

At least there's something to Apple's QC. Because the few China bands I've tried, the tab that goes into the watch all had poo poo tolerances. It's probably an OCD level complaint, but I couldn't stand to be able to look through a gap in the slot and tab.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 30, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess anything more innovative other than that walking steadiness crap will require waiting for the AW7 release in fall. The closing page of the presentation highlighted blood glucose highlights separate from the lab results highlights. You'd think that'd be practically the same. I guess there's maybe something to those rumors of a blood glucose sensor. When's the GW4 due? Before or after the AW7? If Samsung rushes it to market, if it exists, I guess the AW7 will have it, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is from Apple's iOS 15 feature page:

6. Available only in the U.S.

Are there any CGM that work with Apple Health so far?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

And here I'm like a loving idiot trying to get to the month view of the calendar app on the watch. All posts on the web talk about force pressing it to call up the change view menu. So I figured long press ought to do, and it didn't. Took me a while to figure out I have to go to loving settings for that, to pick anything other than the default Today view. Apple, you dipshits, if you ax features, make sure poo poo still works.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The new Galaxy Watch 4 does some body impedance bullshit using the ECG leads to guesstimate your body fat content. I wonder if that's anywhere near accurate, because that'd be a nice to have. --edit: On the AW.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 11, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know that I have noticed an extra 10-15 percent daily drop on my battery since joining the beta. But I already do not use Always On Display because of previous issues where it drained it by an extra 30%.
Do you do sleep tracking? If so, breathing rate enabled already, and is it useful?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sure hope they're trying something with the AW8. I always used to bitch about Samsung, that they're only being reactive to Apple, but now they've suddenly this BMI sensor and optical blood pressure estimation.

Also, why the gently caress does it take like 45 minutes to copy the 1.2GB WatchOS 8 image to the watch, if it has Wifi?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In good Apple tradition, they threw an app called FlickType from the AppStore earlier this year, which happened to be pretty much like their new swiping keyboard on WatchOS 8, down to a T.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

They've basically decided that the 6 is obsolete now in their lineup. Not sure if that's how Apple has always treated their watches but they certainly do that now. :v:
Internally in the metadata, it's still called the Watch6,x.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

Ok I'm back, seems like the S7 is a nothing update, should my sig other just get an on-sale S6 and keep on living her life? Am I reading the news right in that S7 just has a slightly larger screen and better battery?
Unless the remaining stock of AW6 is significantly reduced in price, I'd spend the additional dollaridoos and get the newer watch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Arcsech posted:

Is there a way to get a notification on my phone when my watch finishes charging?
This should happen automagically?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there meanwhile any deep learning based apps that do anything worthwhile with heart rate and/or ECG readings? A long while ago there was Cardiogram blowing a whole lot of hot air about their "DeepHeart" machine learning crap supposedly being capable of predicting various issues, but other than fancy blog posts, there wasn't anything other than a custom heart rate tracking app that did gently caress all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I have an AW6 since release and these have always been there AFAIK.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, for three minutes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

93% on my release S6. Daily charges, no AOD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Based on experience with my old Galaxy Watch, I'd rather keep this rounded shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Actually really enjoying the new heart rate zone metrics that is shown on one of the the workout screens now. Also being able to swipe up/down to see different screens is great.
Yeah is nice. Switching screens using the crown is terrible AF for some reason, tho.

I wish you could change the strength of the haptics for interval notifications. I barely notice the recovery one when running.