Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

barkbell posted:

Any suggestions?

One of the high end garmin watches maybe? :shrug: DC Rainmaker reviews most of the fitness tracker devices that come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I intended to buy used from eBay, but I actually ended up getting a new series 3 LTE for $250. Series 2 runs maybe $30-50 less than that so it hardly seems worth it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I thought someone said the older bands were kinda off, aesthetically, with the series 4 even though they technically fit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Variable_H posted:

I’ve got an LTE series 4 watch and I’m thinking of picking up an android phone. I know non-cellular versions become completely useless when no longer paired to an iPhone, but what about the cellular models? Mine is pretty much used to check the current weather and the time, so not having access to some of the mirrored data from my iPhone won’t be that big of a deal.

You could stick your old iphone in a drawer, plugged in, on wifi, and only use it to manage the watch.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

Something I always find amusing... I go to the gym in the morning and get 80% of my move goal. About ten minutes after I get home, the watch says “you only need a brisk 11 minute walk to meet your goal!” Somehow I’m breaking their system because there is no way that prompt should come up then.

It almost always tells me to go on a 17-minute walk. I think it's triggered by calorie count without taking anything else into account

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's another update out. Someone please install it and see if it bricks your watch this time around

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since there's about a million to choose from, what's a good black milanese band on Amazon?

Each one of these is only up for a few months. Conventional wisdom itt is to just pick one with a lot of good reviews

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Apple's leasing thing is generally better than the carriers, unless they give you $300 off or something. If nothing else, you don't have to fight an AT&T call center for upgrades, repairs or replacements

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In 10 months I've gone from a 2-day battery charge with a comfortable margin for overnight charging every other day, to consistently crapping out early/mid afternoon on the second day if I don't charge it every night, so yeah, battery degradation is pretty bad. :smith:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI you can apparently call 911 on the cellular watch without a plan (note that I have not tested this lol) which could be a reason to get one instead of GPS-only

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The wrist movement detection to turn the screen on isn't anything close to perfect, particularly if I'm laying on my back, so getting rid of that entirely is a good move and makes the whole device a lot less annoying to interact with

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah but I'd be able to see the time at 5AM in bed without having to boop it with my nose

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

* use the dial to adjust your music volume without taking your phone out of your pocket
* use the camera remote app with your phone to see how poo poo is plugged in to the back of your computer/monitor/receiver

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The bigger watch also gets marginally more battery life

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

WatchOS 6 when? :f5: Updating my phone now...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unfortunately the iPad doesn’t have the screen real estate to handle a calculator.

The legend is that Jobs berated some employee because the iOS calculator didn't look good on an ipad so now there will never be a calculator

e: words

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 20, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My series 3 took like three hours to update but it feels noticeably snappier afterward :toot:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Having the phone and the watch literally touching seemed to speed up the transfer a bit, though I know that’s probably psychosomatic

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Housh posted:

Did they improve the Siri face in 6.0? Will I get more info displayed then on my s2?

looks the same on an s3 but they tweaked the algorithm and now it is suggesting timers and the breathe app instead of giving me news headlines and weather

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minidust posted:

I can’t see the data source toggles for the Siri face, did the last update break something? I just restarted my phone and watch and still nothing:

edit: never mind, did some searching and the Siri toggles are in the "Clock" settings for some reason. Thanks Apple! :downs:

Awesome, I didn't even know those toggles existed. I turned off the ones I was complaining about in my last post

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Try strava on the watch and see if it's the app? :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Awww, I just remembered the “buy an Apple device and get a year of AppleTV for free” promo and got happy.

Then I read that it does not cover the Apple Watch (boo!).

you're not missing much, really

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao, what do you have to hide, Andrew?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

New from apple, yeah. It looks like various retailers have some series 5 stock sitting around but it isn't any cheaper than the 6. The 4 is long gone.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Veskit posted:

How the hell am I supposed to fitness plus if i can't cast the workout from my phone to my tv? I guess i'm not engrained in the ecosystem enough.

I didn't think about that - it's weird how many layers deep you have to be to even be able to throw money at them for a subscription service.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

(I discovered this because I forgot to stop a workout and did "strength training" for six hours)

I love the free calories I get by running down the road at thirty five miles an hour for several miles away from the hiking trail

e: actually, the apple workouts app will buzz me incessantly if I do this, but Work Outdoors won't, I guess because warning on obviously wrong poo poo isn't part of the API for third party apps

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's out now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I just remembered I had a friend whose grandmother paid for her nextel phone and plan so that the woman could just start yammering at her without her having to actually answer the phone. It's a great setup if you like to trample boundaries

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It usually works fine for me (and then downloading and installing the update is a dicey hours-long process that may or may not work :emo:). It may just be getting slammed today

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

also you need something newer than a series 3 for hand washing detection to work

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

conventional wisdom seems to be that you can't activate an apple watch on prepaid, so your only options for that are the expensive at&t/verizon/t-mobile/sprint post-paid plans. Note that you can still call 911 using the watch without it being activated

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It's wild to me that they're still selling the S3.

I'm happy that I could get another year or two out of mine if I want to. I'm hoping to find a really good deal on a series 6 before they vanish though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, the red 40mm has been on sale a lot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

really starting to wonder if apple's lovely autocorrect is actually paid product placement

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I've all but given up on any watch-phone cooperation. Half the time when I am playing a podcast on the phone and try to use my watch to pause/play it just throws a spinner for 30 seconds until I resignedly fish the phone out of my pocket and mash the play button there.

This is real fun now that it's cold and I have mitts/gloves on.

Are the newer watches better than the series 3 about this kind of poo poo? My favorite is when I try to use the HomeKit app and it just sits and spins so long that the screen turns itself off again

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

strava is pretty good at trimming out the time you're standing still

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol what would tapping the swoosh do if you deleted the nike run app? It’s like a phone with an unremovable bing or facebook button on the home screen

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

goddamn lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, I don't remember how but I got that fucker out of there, so it is definitely possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

$79. If it’s below 80% and you have AppleCare+, it is free.

I wonder if they actually replace the battery on your watch or just give you a refurb?

I'm pretty sure they just swap out the entire watch for any type of service