Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but if you have the watch on at home and the phone is in another room or out of range or we does it use WiFi to stay connected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just checked the settings and it does look like the phone is connected to the same network on the wifi settings. I thought it was just connected to the phone via bluetooth but it makes sense that it connects to the same wifi if it can.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How do you turn off those stupid achievement things anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but is there any way to stop the screen from locking itself when I'm using the stopwatch. I started doing weights again and I used to just use the stopwatch on my gshock to time between sets. The apple watch seems lock the screen as soon as Iook away from it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are you using an app to track your lifts? Strong is a really good one and you can customize rest periods between sets and it'll give you a ding when it's time to go again.

Nope, I never really thought of that.

To be fair I bought the watch because I was doing a lot more walking and cycling while all the gyms were closed. I just used the built in workout thingies, I'm suprised they havent done a built in thing for weights.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know there was a built in one lol

It's funny because the cardio stuff seems to register way lower than what the actual machine registers. Heart rate seems to be identical though

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Glimpse posted:

If you’re looking at “active calories”, the watch is subtracting the calories you would have burned just sitting and breathing air. The machine probably isnt.

thats bullshit, yer telling me i need to use energy to exercise????

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is the apple watch supposed to do that optimised charging thing like the phone does sometimes?

I’ve noticed my watch has been on charge for more than 7 hours but the battery is still only at 84% it’s done this a couple of times recently but I can’t tell if it’s a fault or it’s just holding the charge like I’ve seen my phone do sometimes?

But I’m also a weirdo who only uses my watch when I exercise and I’ll sometimes turn the thing off if I’m not going to use it so idk.

It’s a series 6

edit: ffs no never mind after reseating the usb cable it’s charged to 89 already. I’ve got it plugged into this belkin surge protector that has a couple of usb ports

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 2, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I think I got my S6 when it released and it's on 97% but i'm a weirdo who turns the watch off on days when I don't use it.

I bought my mum an S7 to replace her S3 from I think 2016? That was on 83% and i'm pretty sure she used it every day.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else lost the little dealie at the top of the screen for the now playing thingy in watch os9?

Before if I was listening to something that little icon would be at the top of the screen. So I could just tap it and turn the volume down or pause but now it’s just disappeared completely.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How accurate does the measurements for the braided solo loop need to be. I used a tape measure on my wrist, luckily it’s super obvious where my watch goes because theres a big pale mark from wearing the watch.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmm that does look like it matches up as using a measuring tape it comes up as a 7. Which matches where I'd put it on the sport band.

So I guess I should go for a 6 as with the sport band I can go one notch less but it's just slightly less comfortable.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just realised that I actually might be able to go to one on the weekend, as I’m actually gonna be in the centre of town for the first time in a few years.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I ended up going with the solo loop one size down and it fits great. A little bit tighter than how I’d have the strap but after a while I don’t notice it.

Also I guess I shouldn’t work out with this as it feels like its going to get all horrible with sweat. Does anything wear out if you switch bands? My old watch I just had the same sport strap on all the time and it was pretty easy to clean.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

Argh, I just put a big ol scratch into my S8. Guess I can still buy Applecare and do a repair.

Wait how long do you have to do this? I dropped mine on the floor at the gym and put a nice dent in the corner and the edge of the glass.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

It depends on the device. Do it over the phone and play dumb. Don't mention any dents or scratches. If you can still add AppleCare they'll run a diagnostic to make sure the device isn't already broken. If it passes, you can add it.

I mean the thing still works perfectly fine, it’s just got an ugly looking ding near the corner of the screen. It’s purely cosmetic but it’s kinda annoying as somehow I kept my last one in perfect condition.

It does look like I’ve got 30 days left to buy anyway.

It says that accidental damage with apple care is like 50 on top of the cost for apple care. But an out of warranty repair is like 300 so I guess thats better and then if I do something stupid again I it’s only 50.

I’ve not bought applecare on anything since my old Macbook in 2015 because it was like the most expensive laptop I’d purchased at the time. Also I never ended up using it.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 13, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MrBond posted:

Does anyone actually get value out of applecare+ for the watch? I kinda like the accidental damage aspect of it in theory but I also haven't ever broken one yet.

I did after I dropped my brand new series 8 first in the gym and then second after taking it off going through airport security.

I got a brand new replacement device the morning after doing the service request. Although it took a good while after the broken device arrived at apple for them to remove the 400 something hold off my card.

I wish I was somehow not the worlds most clumsy person who manages to drop all these expensive things on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Question for the cross section of this thread that's also into Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo's experiment in tricking gamers into exercising;

Is there a good Workout that covers the game? Nothing really tracks because it's varied and stop-start, and obvious choices like Fitness Gaming or HIIT or Mixed Cardio or Other all seem to just arbitrarily continue adding active calories even when I'm not moving resulting in an estimate that's like triple what Ring Fit says. What's with this? Some of them say it'll treat it as a brisk walk if sensor data isn't available, but the available sensor data should be telling it I am literally stationary. But also;

Question for everyone else:

Is there a way to have a Workout session without activating any additional special logic? I've found that not activating a workout at all results in an active calorie Activity count that about lines up with what Ring Fit says I'm getting, and I'm broadly inclined to think Ring Fit is vaguely accurate because despite Nintendo's less advanced sensors they have the advantage of actually knowing what exact movements I'm doing. What I really want out of Apple here is the heart rate tracking and just to log this stuff as a Workout. At this point I could take or leave the exact calorie count, I don't really need to know, the exercise is getting done either way, I'd just like if it could be logged more elegantly.

I had the same issue during the pandemic, but I just went back to the gym. I used to pick one of the mixed options but tbf I didn't really care about it accurately tracking stuff as I was using the watch more for cycling and walking.