Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

eddiewalker posted:

General>wake>auto-launch audio

I was just about to ask about this, I always have audio controls up when I get out of the car. Thanks.

After hesitating and posting here a while ago I bought a Series 2 and it's great. Before buying I was browsing loads of different bands, assuming I'd want something other than the black sport band that came with it, but I actually really like it. Unobtrusive and smart enough for most of the time.

That said, has anyone come across a metal band with this type of clasp (42mm if it matters)? I loved this when I used to have a Skagen watch - easy to close, secure, and continuously adjustable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I also recently got an S3 and had some navigation questions. I dgaf about the watch directions while driving, I already have a phone mount up in my field of vision for that purpose. Where I want the watch integration is for bicycle riding directions. I know there's a ton of workout apps for biking and Strava is popular, but I want Apple maps directions for it.

Google maps has an option to search for bike routes when looking for directions, but Apple maps doesn't. The difference between driving and biking directions can be significant at times, so I wish I could get the turn by turn integration of biking directions on my watch.

This is something I wish I could do too. Both a bike-friendly route finder with turn vibrations (because getting lost and stopping to navigate every 2 minutes sucks), but also one designed for circular routes. It's absurdly hard to make a round trip to/from home, coming and going different ways, on a route of your choosing, using regular map apps.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Froist posted:

I use AutoSleep, has always felt pretty accurate to me.

I like AutoSleep a lot.

Including when my watch falls off and I get a notification the next day saying "you slept 1h40!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

My second favourite "stand goal" thing from the before-times is how often I would be on a plane, just lining up on the runway, the captain pushes the throttle forward... "time to stand up!"

My favourite thing was when it congratulated me for doing it as we lifted off.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

For me bike workouts always grant exercise time, feels like a bug.

But some workouts (like an outdoor walk) won't give exercise time if your heart rate doesn't get high enough. Maybe bikes have the same rule?

Is this "high for you", or over a fixed threshold? Because my outdoor walks always register the whole thing as exercise, and I worry it's because my pulse is naturally quite fast and so I'm cheating.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I got a "storage full" notification on my S2 during a bike ride yesterday. Thought it would ruin my workout tracking but it seemed to survive. It just wanted me to remove some music from my watch to make space.

Of course, there as no music (or anything else much) on my watch, and never has been... so a reboot freed up 3.5GB of space :v:

Definitely interested in a 7 or whatever newness comes out soon

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I think it's time for a new watch, my Series 2 doesn't understand what "focus" is and puts itself into Do Not Disturb all the time :v:

I decoupled it from the Phone state, but now it lets through work Teams messages in the evening. D'oh.

I assume it all works nicely together in the latest Watch software?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

njsykora posted:

It definitely counts them for the exercise ring, my walk to work is good for 20-25 minutes in that respect. It’s why I have my exercise target set to 60 minutes since I get 45 or so just going to and from work.

Wait, I thought you couldn't change the exercise goal, just the move one... which now I can't figure out how to do either.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

njsykora posted:

In the Activity app on the main rings screen if you scroll down you can change all 3 goals.

Wait I just remembered I have a Series 2 with whatever the last version of software is that that can run. So that might not be a thing for me.

And I can't check the version because it's started dying in under 12 hours without doing anything taxing. Might be time for a new one soon

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I seem to have scratched my new S7 more in a month than the previous 5 years combined on my S2... are they making them out of cheese these days, or am I getting clumiser?

How much tougher is the steel one, for next time?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

To clarify, it's about the glass in my case. I have some scuffs along the top bevel (? curvy bit) which I think is from hitting a doorframe. But I also have more of a gash on top of the bottom right complication, which sucks. My own fault, I do stick my hand inside metal boxes for a living.

SlowBloke posted:

I think the steels have a different glass material which is more shatter resistant at the expense of scratch easiness.

Wait, so the expensive one's glass is *more* scratchable?

I'd pay even bigger bucks next time for a magical rugged glass that you can scrape with a scalpel and see no damage. Given that I have the cheapest one though, I will embrace the roughness :)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

That's the opposite of how it works. Harder means more scratch resistance, but also more brittle. (Natural) sapphire is a 9.0 on the Mohs scale - only diamonds can scratch it. (Apple's synthetic sapphire may be a little weaker than natural, but I can't find anything about that.) The Ion-X glass is softer, so will scratch easier, but is harder to crack.

Ok thanks that makes sense. I shall embrace not being precious about this one, and see if I want to be spendy on the 8 or maybe 9.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

is there a way to keep the screen on my apple watch from turning on when i have it charging on a table and the table vibrates at all? i cant figure out if it thinks it's on a wrist being raised or wtf

i got one of the cute lil old mac docks (https://www.amazon.com/elago-Nightstand-Original-Design-Pending/dp/B01MYNE2BM) and it is still doing this which is annoying, was hoping if would stop if it wasn't flat on a surface...

I think it's meant to do that. I give it the old bedside table shove if I want to know the time at night.

If you don't care about that, does turning off Bedside Mode in Settings > General help?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I went from S2 to S7, but just kept throwing my watch on the old charger by my bed. Does the USB-C one that came with it charge the watch faster? If so, what wattage of charger can it make use of?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

Yeah i mainly use it for setting timers for cooking, and sometimes siri thinks "set timer for nine minutes" means "set an alarm for 9am"

I'm on a s8 and siri won't tell me my phone's battery level.

I had an iPhone alarm with the label "Fratelli" for many years, because I asked Siri to set an alarm "for 10am" and it responded "ok, what time would you like your Fratelli alarm?"

Setting reminders is my main use case, so much faster than typing/digging

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Strap it to a hot dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

[timg]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 11, 2023