Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The original Deus Ex was a game released in the year 2000 by Ion Storm, and published by Eidos Interactive. It was lauded for its freedom of choice, it's great level design and its unique delivery of its story through conspiracy atop conspiracy atop conspiracy. It's one of the most celebrated games of all time. Fun fact: This game came out before 9/11, is about terrorism and conspiracy and the twin towers are not in the New York skyline. I've never played it before now.

So this is a blind LP? Gross.

Even worse, this is a livestreamed LP. VoDs have no editing, I'll be saving and loading often, and there may often be technical issues. However, while I will be blind I won't be wholly blind: Deus Ex is an influential and famous game, and of course I've read my fair share about the game and watched a few videos about it. The game itself, I only know the Malkavian mod well. I'm also far from a non-lethal player, I do what is practical.

I don't know anything about Deus Ex's plot and setting, do you know any more?

So basically America hosed up and killed themselves in a civil war(?), and everything was bad for a while. Cyborgs start appearing, with mechanical augmentations becoming fairly common. The UN set up an anti-terror/police force called UNATCO, who America has only recently joined. A terrorist group called the NSF blow up the Statue of Liberty (or did the government do it?), which prompts UNATCO to build their new HQ on Liberty Island. Oh yeah, and there's a horrible plague called the Gray Death spreading across the world, and the only cure is a vaccine called Ambrosia which is mostly going to the rich and powerful.

That's the big picture: We are JC Denton, the brother of Paul Denton. Paul was the first ever nano-augmented agent, and JC is supposedly the second. His parents died during JC's childhood - after Paul joined UNATCO. Paul is pretty much the only family JC has, and he was always too busy with work. This led JC to wear edgy trenchcoats and always wear sunglasses. It's the truest tragedy of the 21st century.

Table of Contents:

Stream

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Reserved.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Remember, prod with the prod.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You have a very soothing voice to listen to! Something something British accent.

You might want to consider investing in Kentie's launcher as well as the DX10 rednerer. The former improves general compatibility while the latter fixes the whole lighting issue you seem to have early on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Genocyber posted:

You have a very soothing voice to listen to! Something something British accent.

You might want to consider investing in Kentie's launcher as well as the DX10 rednerer. The former improves general compatibility while the latter fixes the whole lighting issue you seem to have early on.

Thanks for the compliments, also all this is resolved in part 2! Really wish that stuff was packed into the steam release, that audio skipping is simply unforgivable for the opening cinematic, and that lighting is just unworkable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ah, well, good to hear. Yeah with these old-rear end PC games step #2 after installing is almost always check for mods/fan patches, especially if it's from Steam since they rarely seem to take any measures for compatibility on modern systems.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think the baton can one-shot anybody without skills and augs. For low-level silent takedowns IIRC you prod once then baton them in the head once.

But I'm less than halfway through the first video so you probably know this by now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I thought you had to hit a small section at the small of the back? I seem to remember that, at least. *whack* *do-doot-do-doo*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I look forward to this LP being finished within the week.

No.

Within 6 months.

Yes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's cool.

fyi all ingame UI has shortcuts, the underlined letters, iirc alt-[key] activates it.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 11, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
FFS, now I'll have to replay the game again and I have work to do, gently caress you Herp.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can compare this with GMDX, which came out a while ago.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can compare this with GMDX, which came out a while ago.

holy poo poo i never knew this existed! I really need to replay it now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've been told that some of the pure bullshit of the original GMDX was toned-down since release, but I'd still recommend pretty much any other Deus Ex mod instead. Biomod, Shifter, TNM, whatever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It can't be worse than Revision. Any excuse to play Deus Ex again is a good one.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What's the deal with Revision and why is it bad? All I know is that they wouldn't take my friend's bugfix mod ('Human Renovation').

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I thought you had to hit a small section at the small of the back? I seem to remember that, at least. *whack* *do-doot-do-doo*

Yeah, if you're right behind someone and aim down to their waist, the baton strikes both their head and torso for an instant whughughgufwomp.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sindai posted:

I don't think the baton can one-shot anybody without skills and augs. For low-level silent takedowns IIRC you prod once then baton them in the head once.

But I'm less than halfway through the first video so you probably know this by now.

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, if you're right behind someone and aim down to their waist, the baton strikes both their head and torso for an instant whughughgufwomp.

So it's a bit of column A and a bit of column B. There is a sweetspot that can be hit, but that area is increased exponentially for every point you place in Weapons: Low Tech apparently? It certainly is helpful!

Samovar posted:

I look forward to this LP being finished within the week.

No.

Within 6 months.

Yes.

Somehow I see this as being one of my faster LPs, mostly because I've started it before I have peak-free time.

double nine posted:

fyi all ingame UI has shortcuts, the underlined letters, iirc alt-[key] activates it.

Aha, that'll prove extremely helpful. I knew the underlined letters were shortcuts, just not how to activate them, cheers!

Pierzak posted:

FFS, now I'll have to replay the game again and I have work to do, gently caress you Herp.

I'm expecting to see more of this reaction for the next classic game I intend to blindly lets play and alternate with the two Deus Ex sequels and its two sequels.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 13, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Somehow I see this as being one of my faster LPs, mostly because I've started it before I have peak-free time.

Why do I always jinx myself like this? Starting another stream shortly!

Finished the stream, VOD rendering.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 25, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why contain it?

It's cool.

(Also here's the video everyone is referencing for anyone who doesn't know what the babbling is about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

get out of here, deathsandwich

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

double nine posted:

get the hell out of here, deathsandwich

ftfy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ty

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'll be back with a stream of part 5 in around five or six hours at the usual place: my Twitch channel, but in the meantime I'll be streaming a bit of the wonderful Attorney Online, which I've already uploaded four videos of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Anticheese posted:

What's the deal with Revision and why is it bad? All I know is that they wouldn't take my friend's bugfix mod ('Human Renovation').

The maps are often much larger, and where they're made larger there's less stuff in them so it feels a lot emptier than the original release. Also, if you prefer the Realistic difficulty like me then the modder took out most of the aug upgrade canisters in the early game for no goddamned reason which is awful because even in the vanilla release it took over 1/3rd of the game to really hit your cybernetic stride, and now it's more like half the game you're playing straight with minimal/no augs. And as your friend discovered, the modder isn't just a capricious moron but an abrasive capricious moron.

All the guy had to do was reskin DX and bundle it in with Biomod and he'd be a legend. Instead he tried to perform game design and became a go-to case study in the distinction between being a good game designer and being a good modder.

• Locked thread