Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Bought this game at the start of August and have just finished catching up on the whole thread. It helped me pass the time between my chances to play. I appreciate the way the thread is written like a classified CIA document so that I didn't have to worry about getting spoiled. We're only about 20 scenarios in right now. Our current party is Circles and Three Spears (with occasional Tinkerer when my brother-in-law is around) after retiring Spellweaver and Mindthief. I know people seem to hate Circles but I am loving it. Their mechanic feels really challenging to get good at, but I feel like it's really clicking for me. It helps a lot to have my wife's Three Spears around, but she's by no means carrying me. We're trying hard to not get too far ahead between my brother-in-law's visits, but it's hard to resist the siren call of pulling out Gloomhaven when we have a free afternoon.

I'm considering getting Jaws of the Lion before we get too good at the game, but I also think it would be a good idea to save it for if we can luck into a more consistent 4-player group (maybe another couple?) to ease them into it. Does that sound like a reasonable way of looking at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Xinder posted:

I know people seem to hate Circles but I am loving it.

Party size is a factor. Circles is one of those classes whose main shtick is better with less players. I unlocked Circles in a four-player party and declined to play it for that reason. In two-player party it would probably have blown the bloody doors off if played smart.

Also, there are certain scenario types that Circles is really well suited for. Our Two-Mini took a card at L5 that is incredibly well-suited for those kind of scenarios and completely useless in most "normal" scenarios.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Warden posted:

Party size is a factor. Circles is one of those classes whose main shtick is better with less players. I unlocked Circles in a four-player party and declined to play it for that reason. In two-player party it would probably have blown the bloody doors off if played smart.

Also, there are certain scenario types that Circles is really well suited for. Our Two-Mini took a card at L5 that is incredibly well-suited for those kind of scenarios and completely useless in most "normal" scenarios.

Circles can definitely do well in larger parties, but it can fall down hard versus certain enemy compositions, so playing the class feels very "swingy" if you play several scenarios back to back.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We had a circles go great in our 4 player team. Much better then what I had heard about the class. It did not hurt that we had the one other class that synergizes incredibly well with it.

Also finished scenario 10 of Jaws of the Lion last night and I think that boss scenario was way better then any of the ones in regular Gloomhaven. Excellent design.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Afriscipio posted:

Circles can definitely do well in larger parties, but it can fall down hard versus certain enemy compositions, so playing the class feels very "swingy" if you play several scenarios back to back.

One thing I noticed is that Circles has some really good perks available. I'd expect its performance to be better than expected thanks to a great attack modifier deck.

Some observations about party composition: it seems to me that Circles would be absolutely bonkers with summon-using Spellweaver or Two-mini in the party.

Some observations about items: if we had had Wand of Darkness and Robes of Summoning available when I retired, I probably would have given Circles a go. She has L2 and L3 cards that are really good if you got a reliable source of Dark. .

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Oh, and my group did Scenario 74, which was hard as balls, thanks to the special mechanics screwing with Angry Face's and Two-Mini's normal play style. Still, we won, and the reward was greatly appreciated.

We're now two ticks away from Prosperity 6, which will be provided by making one more donation and retiring my Cragheart, whose just shy of L8. We're hitting Scenario 17 in two weeks, since next weekend is a no-go. While I can scarcely wait to unlock Lightning Bolt, I must confess that I am somewhat tempted to delay until I reach L9 and can see for myself whether Blind Destruction is as utterly broken as it seems, especially when comboed with Backup Ammunition or item Volatile Bomb.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Afriscipio posted:

I can see this. I was going to post that I likewise played Circles in a 4 player party and did very well with it.

Summon management is a big thing and requires patience and sometimes things still go awry. Thorn Shooter still might be the best summon in the game for its range and poison so just get used to feeding it your commands and you will honestly probably be fine just from that. If you other summons manage to get 2 or 3 hits in each you're well ahead of the curve, and you have some other decent things to do.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

I can see this. I was going to post that I likewise played Circles in a 4 player party and did very well with it.

Summon management is a big thing and requires patience and sometimes things still go awry. Thorn Shooter still might be the best summon in the game for its range and poison so just get used to feeding it your commands and you will honestly probably be fine just from that. If you other summons manage to get 2 or 3 hits in each you're well ahead of the curve, and you have some other decent things to do.

We're three scenarios in with Circles and so far it's better than I expected. It will be interesting to see if it keeps holding up though now that we'll actually have to play the game - our three spears just retired and I'm not sure what he's going to pick as his next character. New party is circles, saw, red guard, and ???.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm 2 scenarios in with Circles in a 4 person party. It seems good to me, maybe not the best but still a good class

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah Circles was a fine class, its just not very obvious how to get the most of out its kit at first, and it requires quite a bit of monster card knowledge to not get occasionally stomped by a multitarget attack you forgot existed that then mulches you, your thorn shooter, and whatever chump melee summon that was supposed to take the hit.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Circles I would definitely not give this class to someone who didn’t memorize how monster movement works. That definitely feels like the major complication. I wouldn’t be surprised if most groups had a designated monster mover while everyone else watches.

The idea that a summoning based class (Necromancer) was going to be in JotL originally makes me laugh after playing Summoner. It’s such a newbie-unfriendly class that I’m pretty sure it’s the only one I might veto another person at my table if they wanted to play her if I didn’t think they would be able to make it work.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Xinder posted:

The idea that a summoning based class (Necromancer) was going to be in JotL originally makes me laugh after playing Summoner. It’s such a newbie-unfriendly class that I’m pretty sure it’s the only one I might veto another person at my table if they wanted to play her if I didn’t think they would be able to make it work.

If I recall correctly, most Necromancer's summons aren't Loss cards, you just take some damage when using them. Also, I was under the impression that Frosthaven was for Gloomhaven veterans, and all of the starting classes were way more complex than in base Gloomhaven (looking at you, Geminite).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Warden posted:

If I recall correctly, most Necromancer's summons aren't Loss cards, you just take some damage when using them. Also, I was under the impression that Frosthaven was for Gloomhaven veterans, and all of the starting classes were way more complex than in base Gloomhaven (looking at you, Geminite).

90% sure Necromancer was originally for JotL but moved to be a Frosthaven starter class when they realized new players couldn't deal with summons.

e: also i get unreasonably upset when people refer to Circles as "Concentric Circles" because those circles are in no way concentric. besides, the class will always be "Ubisoft Logo" to me

Xinder fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 8, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Music Note synergises particularly well with Circles too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xinder posted:

e: also i get unreasonably upset when people refer to Circles as "Concentric Circles" because those circles are in no way concentric.

Same

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Xinder posted:

besides, the class will always be "Ubisoft Logo" to me

hella :same:, that's how my playgroup referred to it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xinder posted:

90% sure Necromancer was originally for JotL but moved to be a Frosthaven starter class when they realized new players couldn't deal with summons.

Yup the Necromancer was moved to Frosthaven for that reason. Not sure if the Voidwarden came from Frosthaven as a replacement though. But the Voidwarden is definitely a harder class to play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alkanphel posted:

Yup the Necromancer was moved to Frosthaven for that reason. Not sure if the Voidwarden came from Frosthaven as a replacement though. But the Voidwarden is definitely a harder class to play.
Apparently, Voidwarden was designed by Gripeaway - a reddit mod who does the class guides everyone reads, and who designed the custom Aeromancer. I asked him just that question. He said 'it's interesting' and seemed to want to go into a story, but didn't know how much more he could explain. So ... I get the impression it wasn't Frosthaven maybe?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think Voidwarden was for Frosthaven, I think it was just a prototype design they had half finished that they decided to use once they moved Necromancer out. It's pretty fun as far as support classes go (and am playing it in a group with 3 newbies, so I spend most of my actions baby sitting them instead of doing cool poo poo)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ah ok, the Voidwarden looked complex enough to be from Frosthaven, I didn't expect a character of that complexity to be in Jaws of the Lion.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

2nd Printing Diviner cards are now available for purchase from DriveThruCards. Shipping is more expensive than the cards.

Here in Central IL it cost under $10 with a deck box that I probably didn't need.

https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/323403/Forgotten-Circles-Diviner-Ability-Deck-2nd-Printing

(edit: And if you're not in the USA, it'd probably be a lot better to find a local place and print the cards unless you are willing to shell out crazy amounts for shipping. Not that this should be a surprise by now.)

Anyone know why this is unavailable now? It would be nice to get a copy of the updated cards :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

Anyone know why this is unavailable now? It would be nice to get a copy of the updated cards :(
There were some printing errors where some stuff wasn't very visible - lines, enhancement dots, etc. They are replacing anyone affected, and took it down until it's fixed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Xinder posted:

e: also i get unreasonably upset when people refer to Circles as "Concentric Circles" because those circles are in no way concentric. besides, the class will always be "Ubisoft Logo" to me

:same: I haven't played that class yet, but from the moment we laid eyes on the character box they've been dubbed Ubisoft

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Oof, latest kickstarter update has Frosthaven being significantly delayed, likely only reaching people in July.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sirtommygunn posted:

Oof, latest kickstarter update has Frosthaven being significantly delayed, likely only reaching people in July.
I haven't played my actual campaign in months at this point. A delay is almost welcome.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I welcome the delay too. Need time to recharge the Gloomhaven batteries and play other games for a bit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

I see real reality being holiday season 2021. No way it makes July.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
JotL Scenario 15

Anyone else have major trouble with Scenario 15? My three person party (Hatchet, Red Guard, Voidwarden) attempted it twice before we said screw it and set the level to 0 just to be done with it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

I'd add like 2-3 months more which is the norm for Kickstarters. But it doesn't make a difference since I have so much more GH to finish. I don't think I'd be done even with all the delays.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
GH digital has become a really solid game. I'm impressed.

It also introduced my personal version of hell - constantly spawning hounds who poison with every attack.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

GH digital has become a really solid game. I'm impressed.

It also introduced my personal version of hell - constantly spawning hounds who poison with every attack.

My experience has been that normal missions are generally too easy on the GH digital, but the ones where you have to hold position while enemies spawn are over-tuned.

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008
I’m just getting into Jaws of the Lion and loving it so far. My fiancé and I are playing it two-player (I’m Voidwarden, she’s Red Guard) and we just finished Scenario 4. This is our first Gloomhaven experience.

One question (and sorry if this is really dumb/obvious): When a character is attacked and that attack applies poison, does the +1 poison damage effect apply to that initial attack? Or only to future attacks?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A Loaf of Bread posted:

I’m just getting into Jaws of the Lion and loving it so far. My fiancé and I are playing it two-player (I’m Voidwarden, she’s Red Guard) and we just finished Scenario 4. This is our first Gloomhaven experience.

One question (and sorry if this is really dumb/obvious): When a character is attacked and that attack applies poison, does the +1 poison damage effect apply to that initial attack? Or only to future attacks?

future

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be more specific, effects are applied in order. If a monster attack card said, "Move +1. Poison all adjacent enemies. Attack +1." then the poison would be applied before the attack. If, however, it said, "Move +1. Attack +1 Poison", then the poison comes after the attack and would not apply to it.

This also means that if one of your attacks would apply a condition but you kill the target first, that condition does not get applied. This usually only matters for Curse, which is the only condition where inflicting it on a dead monster would matter, but there might be cards or battle goals that care about applying conditions.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I know this has been asked before but I can't find it itt, in the rulebook, or the FAQ.

I created a 3 Spears near the end of our main campaign. We moved on to FC and I decided to play the Diviner so I "shelved" my 3 Spears. When I say "shelved" I mean the character still exists, has a PQ and has items. We're still in the middle of FC and now another player who just retired a character wants to play 3 Spears. Here are my questions:

1 - If the other player creates a 3 Spears, my "shelved" 3 Spears still exists, right? I don't have to kill it off and put everything back in the box and shop, correct?

2 - My "shelved" 3 Spears has the last PQ in our PQ deck. They keep that, right? I'm cool with just breaking the rules and giving it to the new 3 Spears but RAW says that's not how it should go, right?

3 - Assuming the answer to my first question is "yes", there are items my shelved 3 Spears has that the other player wants to buy and use. Between sessions I can sell those items to the store for the other player to buy, right?

So I guess basically can multiple players have a character of the same class as long as those characters don't participate in the same scenario together?

Also if anyone could point me to sources for these answers I'd really appreciate it. My group is telling me that I basically just have to get rid of my 3 Spears so the other player can play it and I'm pretty sure that isn't right. I don't really care either way I just want to know what the official rules for all this are. Thanks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I don't see why you can't just take your character sheet as a record of the character and let someone else start one.

Table poo poo like this isn't in the rules. I don't think tabling a character in the first place is addressed, much less this.

e: What I'm saying is that I don't think you'll find any official support for your position or theirs, and arguably the issue began when the character was set aside in the first place. But there's also nothing saying you can't do this, so... Let's look at balance. The only potential balance concern I could see is if you are effectively pooling gold for enhancements with another Spears played simultaneously. It seems like a weird and arbitrary thing for a group to argue about, but obviously ymmv

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 16, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

1 - If the other player creates a 3 Spears, my "shelved" 3 Spears still exists, right? I don't have to kill it off and put everything back in the box and shop, correct?

Correct. Source is that the rules never tell you to do this so you don't do it; the only relevant rule is rulebook page 6, "only one copy of each class can be played in any given scenario".

Elephant Ambush posted:

2 - My "shelved" 3 Spears has the last PQ in our PQ deck. They keep that, right? I'm cool with just breaking the rules and giving it to the new 3 Spears but RAW says that's not how it should go, right?

Correct. Again, there's just no rules telling you to do that - a character gains a personal quest when created and removes it from the game when they retire; there's no mechanism for returning PQs to the deck. If you want new PQs just for something to do I think a bunch of player-made classes have ones to unlock them?

Elephant Ambush posted:

3 - Assuming the answer to my first question is "yes", there are items my shelved 3 Spears has that the other player wants to buy and use. Between sessions I can sell those items to the store for the other player to buy, right?

Rulebook page 43, "Items possessed by unused characters are considered to be in the city's available supply and can be purchased". So you don't even need to sell them for the other player to be able to buy them.

edit: Actually this last one is a slightly awkward one; technically there's a distinction between playing with different parties and changing the composition of the current party, and the rule above is for the former. The rules as written don't handle either case very well, and it's often difficult to tell which case applies.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 16, 2020

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I would separate character sheet and personal quest and items in this. I also think the rules don't say much. All they say is draw a personal quest and you keep it until you retire. All it says that I really see is "When a personal quest is a complete the character will retire" on page 38. There aren't really any other rules on establishing/retiring characters. I took that to mean you can create as many characters as you want but you are limited on number of items and personal quests. When you're done with all personal quests? I guess play as long as you want and switch, sell everything back to shop but keep the character sheet if you want.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zurai posted:

To be more specific, effects are applied in order. If a monster attack card said, "Move +1. Poison all adjacent enemies. Attack +1." then the poison would be applied before the attack. If, however, it said, "Move +1. Attack +1 Poison", then the poison comes after the attack and would not apply to it.

This also means that if one of your attacks would apply a condition but you kill the target first, that condition does not get applied. This usually only matters for Curse, which is the only condition where inflicting it on a dead monster would matter, but there might be cards or battle goals that care about applying conditions.

Push and Pull are other cases where it could come up; intuitively the corpse with loot on it would still get pushed or pulled, influencing where the loot token ends up, but the rules say that the corpse basically evaporates once it dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I always forget about push and pull because those usually only get used to disarm inconvenient traps in my group.