Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Push and Pull are other cases where it could come up; intuitively the corpse with loot on it would still get pushed or pulled, influencing where the loot token ends up, but the rules say that the corpse basically evaporates once it dies

This is also annoying when you have something like an attack 2 push 2 and you were hoping to push someone into a trap to disarm it, then you draw a shitload of rolling modifiers and a 2x and just destroy your target accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

This is also annoying when you have something like an attack 2 push 2 and you were hoping to push someone into a trap to disarm it, then you draw a shitload of rolling modifiers and a 2x and just destroy your target accidentally.
cragheart_heaving_swing.txt

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

Yeah that's not a great feeling.

Speaking of, if you have an AOE push (e.g. Push All Adjacent) does anyone play that as effecting invisible figures? I think my group would treat it like a targeted ability so invisible figures would be immune, and it just feels like one more reason that invisibility is bizarre and unintuitively powerful

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Invisibility wouldn't protect from that. Invisibility prevents characters/monsters from being targeted by an attack (meaning specifically something that draws an attack modifier card) or from being the focus. Anything that does a non-attack to an area of effect will affect invisible characters/monsters.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Invisibility prevents being targeted (not just attacks), so something like "Push 2, target all adjacent" wouldnt affect invisible things but "All adjacent enemies are pushed 2" would.

e: should clarify it only prevents enemy targeting. ally targeting is never prevented, which is sad because that would be a nice trade off

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the responses on "shelved" characters, everyone. I appreciate it.

My wife just retired her Mindthief which finally got us to Prosperity 9 and she wants to play a Demolitionist which is kinda hilarious because it will be a character none of us have played before starting at level 9 and will instantly spoil the JotL class upgrade surprise gimmick. This should be fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
GH Digital is 33% off if anyone's still on the fence about it. Guildmaster mode is actually really fun and engaging now. Vastly superior to the old Adventure mode. It's also refreshing if you're looking for basically a new campaign outside the boxes.

It also now has multiplayer in the released branch, but I have not tried it and can't speak to its quality.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My wife and I picked up this game, and have been slowly going through it with a friend. Quick question for y'all - which (spoiler-free) classes are tanky and support-y? I'm playing as a tinkerer and my wife is playing a brute, and when we retire our characters our goal is to still be in similar roles for our characters as well.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

My wife and I picked up this game, and have been slowly going through it with a friend. Quick question for y'all - which (spoiler-free) classes are tanky and support-y? I'm playing as a tinkerer and my wife is playing a brute, and when we retire our characters our goal is to still be in similar roles for our characters as well.

Tanking isn't really a good strategy unless you lean into it. A dead enemy is the best damage mitigation. That said, your best bets for tanking are (only class symbols, but spoilers anyway): cragheart - sort of, sun is a tank and three spears can be built to be one, circles and two minis can mitigate damage using summons, but aren't tanks in themselves.

Tinkerer is the premier support class, saw is a great support class, music note as well, triforce has good support options but is a complex class to play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brute is a little bit tanky, and Tinkerer is pretty supporty. I think most party compositions benefit from having everyone taking as few hits as possible but also splitting damage whenever possible. Many classes have ways to support the team and mitigate damage. Stun and disarm are superb status effects and you should make use of them to decrease incoming damage. I can really only think of one class that has an obvious tank role

Craigheart can be used like an ok traditional tank but he is superb at controlling the battlefield, which can be a very effective way to mitigate damage. Hard to get attacked when melee enemies are being funneled through a maze of boulders. But basically you shouldn't think of any class as being The Tank

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 17, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Of the starting classes, the Brute is the most tank-like.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Afriscipio posted:

Tanking isn't really a good strategy unless you lean into it. A dead enemy is the best damage mitigation. That said, your best bets for tanking are (only class symbols, but spoilers anyway): cragheart - sort of, sun is a tank and three spears can be built to be one, circles and two minis can mitigate damage using summons, but aren't tanks in themselves.

Tinkerer is the premier support class, saw is a great support class, music note as well, triforce has good support options but is a complex class to play.

This is pretty useful! To be clear, neither of us are planning along the lines of "I'll be pure healz and I'll be taking all the damage." She likes in-your-face melee characters with damage mitigation options and I like characters that can enable others to either do more damage or heal others up to full (don't particularly care about melee/range).

It sounds like we have goals set. I think my personal quest will unlock Sun if I complete it? So she'll be set when she's able to retire. No idea what i'll be doing- probably trying out Craig Hart if neither my wife nor our friend are able to unlock anything by the time I retire Which might be soon! My tinkerer got six bandit kills during the first mission and I only have 14 to go

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If shes going for sun you should definitely grab saw eventually. That combo laughs at game difficulty

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, Sun kinda laughs at game difficulty on its own. It's not broken or anything, but it's extremely good at what it does.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zurai posted:

Honestly, Sun kinda laughs at game difficulty on its own. It's not broken or anything, but it's extremely good at what it does.

yeah, once you get to higher levels the combination of great tanking and reliable good damage is very strong, and even at lower levels it's never weak. enhanced defensive stance is wild

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If you need more starters in the same vein as tank and support - and don't mind buying Jaws of the Lion - Red Guard and Voidwarden are both extremely good classes in those roles.

Sun's my favorite class in the game - but red guard may surpass it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have been playing Circles in a 4 person party and it feels pretty good, I had read some reviews from people who hated it but I think that they were just trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Granted, some of her abilities are just bad. But a lot of them are quite good. If you know how to stagger initiatives then you can set up some major damage turns and you give the rest of the team a bit more survivability by summoning so many things. I also have 2 items that provide additional summons, which is probably necessary for the class to feel good .

I think that I enjoyed lightning bolts the best, though

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zurai posted:

It's not broken or anything

Hence why I recommend saw with it. Break the game over your knee, show it no mercy

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Hence why I recommend saw with it. Break the game over your knee, show it no mercy

Music note is also an acceptable companion. Or both.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

Music note is also an acceptable companion. Or both.

gently caress it, throw cthulhu face in there too and have a completely untouchable party.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Arrrthritis posted:

This is pretty useful! To be clear, neither of us are planning along the lines of "I'll be pure healz and I'll be taking all the damage." She likes in-your-face melee characters with damage mitigation options and I like characters that can enable others to either do more damage or heal others up to full (don't particularly care about melee/range).

It sounds like we have goals set. I think my personal quest will unlock Sun if I complete it? So she'll be set when she's able to retire. No idea what i'll be doing- probably trying out Craig Hart if neither my wife nor our friend are able to unlock anything by the time I retire Which might be soon! My tinkerer got six bandit kills during the first mission and I only have 14 to go

If she likes in your face melee damage characters then look no further than the Mindthief. It was my first class ever and I still love it to death.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

If she likes in your face melee damage characters then look no further than the Mindthief. It was my first class ever and I still love it to death.

MT is crazy good - probably the strongest starter - but if she likes tanks... Well.....

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

MT is crazy good - probably the strongest starter - but if she likes tanks... Well.....

There's the Cloak of Invisibility! :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
multiplayer is now in the digital version of gloomhaven, for those of you who don't like using TTS and want to game with people without rona risk https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

multiplayer is now in the digital version of gloomhaven, for those of you who don't like using TTS and want to game with people without rona risk https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/
It's also on sale now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Control Volume posted:

gently caress it, throw cthulhu face in there too and have a completely untouchable party.

I'm currently playing Three Spears, Cthulhuface, and Music Note :unsmigghh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We had (I think) Sun, Music Note, Saw and Three Spears running for a while and the game basically just broke. We were doing max difficulty while drinking and still just clowning on the monsters.

A min-maxed Sun with the Music Note playing the plus Retaliate song is just insane cause she's basically immune to damage and anything that punches her turns into pico de gallo, the Music Note's dropping curses left and right, the Saw is both support and an insane combatant and Three Spears is just loving broken already. We ended up speed-retiring cause it just made the game kind of boring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xiahou Dun posted:

We had (I think) Sun, Music Note, Saw and Three Spears running for a while and the game basically just broke. We were doing max difficulty while drinking and still just clowning on the monsters.
Trying to work out if swapping something for Eclipse makes the party more or less broken.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People severely overestimate what Eclipse brings to a party, these sorts of game-breaking compositions would blow up an entire room before Eclipse could even get through the door.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Control Volume posted:

People severely overestimate what Eclipse brings to a party, these sorts of game-breaking compositions would blow up an entire room before Eclipse could even get through the door.

That's not a particularly high damaging party, but I guess Eclipse's strength is more noticeable at lower player counts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eclipse is just crazy because it can be the ultimate glass cannon, but without the glass part. Being able to repeatedly kill elites is insanely strong when elites can have upwards of 40 health. And on top of that being able to so frequently go invisible just turns the character into a malicious murder god

Having an entire party that synergizes well enough to break the game's difficulty curve is a little different from what Eclipse does. Eclipse will not break the difficulty curve for your whole party on every scenario like some class combinations can, but it does trivialize a lot of encounters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Eclipse shines in encounters where a lot of the threat is concentrated in a single figure for it to execute.

The thing is, you don't get a lot of those with four players, and if all four players get to do their thing and unload on something, it goes down pretty fast anyway. So the execute is good, but doesn't feel particularly busted. And Eclipse isn't great with the encounters that are swarms of smaller enemies.

Cut down the player count, so the swarm encounters are smaller, and executing the biggest bad takes out a higher proportion of the threat in a given encounter, and that's where it starts feeling a bit overtuned.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I tried Note for the first time in Digital last night. We got them added to our live party right before the shutdown so I didn't much see them in action.

Verdict: :stare:

So how are these even real cards? Give all my allies shield 1 forever? Disarm or curse a triangle (now diamond lol) at will? Strengthen all allies no matter where they are? Holy poo poo. I stomped the crap out of the scenario, and they absolutely made the difference even being level 1 with a level 4-6 party. Just absurd.

I think solo play really highlights how insanely strong that support is.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jabor posted:

Eclipse shines in encounters where a lot of the threat is concentrated in a single figure for it to execute.

The thing is, you don't get a lot of those with four players, and if all four players get to do their thing and unload on something, it goes down pretty fast anyway. So the execute is good, but doesn't feel particularly busted. And Eclipse isn't great with the encounters that are swarms of smaller enemies.

Cut down the player count, so the swarm encounters are smaller, and executing the biggest bad takes out a higher proportion of the threat in a given encounter, and that's where it starts feeling a bit overtuned.

That’s why you play it with triangles :getin:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Now I’m trying to think of what the craziest combo is. Maybe Sun, Lightning Bolt, Saw and Music Note?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Cthulhu, Music Note, Sun, and... honestly it doesn't matter what's in the final spot. Angry Face, maybe?

Nothing is likely to hit you, and if it does, Sun will laugh it off.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Three Spears isn’t really a combo because it’s just entirely broken on it’s own, but the strongest party I played was that, music note, and sun. Our fourth was diviner before the buffs and it didn’t even matter that he had taken a bunch of the crappy deck manipulation cards and was still learning the class because the rest of us were so overpowered.

The strongest combo I played was eclipse and triangles, since there’s a lot of synergy there in taking turns making dark + something and just destroying an entire room of enemies between all their executes and element creation.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Cthulhu, Music Note, Sun, and... honestly it doesn't matter what's in the final spot. Angry Face, maybe?

Nothing is likely to hit you, and if it does, Sun will laugh it off.

I'd add Circles to those three. Not necessarily the most potent, but Circles' gimmick plus Music Note is good already and add in Cthulhu's two main gimmicks and you can imagine sweeping a scenario without your characters taking any damage.

Sun has a card that is especially good for Circles: Add a bless to Circle's modifier deck for every summons adjacent to Sun!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Circles and Two Minis is pretty amusing since the bear can be dealing a baseline of Attack 5 it is often the best target for all of circle's command abilities, and circles can also help a lot with repositioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The most OP party in our campaign comprised three spears, cthulhu, sun, and lightning bolt. Nothing stood a chance. Many enemies didn't even get a turn, if they did, nothing could hit us, and whatever did bounced off and then they killed themselves due to retaliate or the self damage when they drew a curse.