Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

That’s why you play it with triangles :getin:

Yeah but that combo is balanced because, to make it possible, someone has to play triangles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Diviner also combos well with a lot of the above mentioned teams for a variety of reasons (spoilers in case anyone doesn't want hints at what those other symbols might do): light and dark generation/use, lots of blessing and some strengthening, lots of cursing, a card that damages enemies that miss or draw negatives, lockdown and area control, healing with regenerate, shield granting. It basically enhances the already crazy strengths of the aforementioned teams/classes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jaws of the Lion has officially won me over. Even skipping the first couple scenarios, we thought it was some pretty extra mild weak-sauce, but once you get later in it really blossoms.

We just did Scenarios 8, 9, and 10 which I'm gonna lightly spoil so I'm using tags but it's just general stuff and nothing super in-depth : 8 is a pretty bog-standard boss fight but felt like a real boss fight ; 9 was another boss fight but with an absolutely insanely cool gimmick ; 10 is this absolutely awesome gauntlet of cool, nasty monsters, lots of traps, and the traps move : like there's a hallway of poisonous gas nozzles you have to dodge through like a bizarre game of Frogger or something.

Really cool stuff. Also my Hatchet is level 4 and I'm just in love. The whole mechanic of The Favorite leads to a great gameplay loop.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

The Diviner also combos well with a lot of the above mentioned teams for a variety of reasons (spoilers in case anyone doesn't want hints at what those other symbols might do): light and dark generation/use, lots of blessing and some strengthening, lots of cursing, a card that damages enemies that miss or draw negatives, lockdown and area control, healing with regenerate, shield granting. It basically enhances the already crazy strengths of the aforementioned teams/classes

The first classes our group is unlocking in my tts campaign are Music Note, Cthulhu, and Angry Face and I think Im going to bring the Diviner to that and see if we can win entire scenarios without taking a hit

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

We just did Scenarios 8, 9, and 10 which I'm gonna lightly spoil so I'm using tags but it's just general stuff and nothing super in-depth : 8 is a pretty bog-standard boss fight but felt like a real boss fight ; 9 was another boss fight but with an absolutely insanely cool gimmick

This part is specifically cool to hear and tracks from some of what was going on in the most recent community campaign. I feel like after boss scenarios in base Gloomhaven were a little one-note particularly for 4 player parties, they've gotten a lot better at designing them to avoid a one sided pile on

Jabor posted:

Eclipse shines in encounters where a lot of the threat is concentrated in a single figure for it to execute.

I was just reminded of this by another conversation but want to clarify in cases where there is a single elite with a name -- i.e. "The elite Cultist is The Matador and has hit points equal to HxC where blah blah blah..." -- those types of monsters aren't able to be executed as either normal or elite monsters. Not accusing you specifically, just want to make sure it's clear to anyone reading.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Really cool stuff. Also my Hatchet is level 4 and I'm just in love. The whole mechanic of The Favorite leads to a great gameplay loop.
Hatchet is extremely cool, and The Favorite is a great mechanic that hits all the right theme and gameplay notes.

All the Jaws characters are awesome. They seem to hit that sweet spot where they're powerful but not broken. Only one I'm tepid on is the Demolitionist but from what I hear, he's really specialized for the Jaws scenarios and works great there.

Red Guard and Voidwarden are two of my favorite classes in the game, period.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My sister's having fun with Demolitionist, but she keeps running into the problem of running out of cards and exhausting. Of course this might be related to constantly spending loss cards not for strategic reasons but just so she can do very cool, silly things. Like there's a level 2 card that's all about hopping from obstacle to obstacle and destroying them. She got this card and immediately forgot about doing anything related to the actual mission and became obsessed with min-maxing it to see how many obstacles she can destroy in a single turn. (The answer is a god drat lot. Like 18 or something hilarious.) So this might not be the class and rather just that my sister is a hilarious goofus, which, to be fair, we all are, and will always pick something weird and funny over what's tactically optimal.

Thinking it over, I have no idea how we haven't lost of a mission yet from one of us doing some utterly stupid shenanigans.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Yeah but that combo is balanced because, to make it possible, someone has to play triangles

Even before unlocking That Card I was still doing awesome stuff with triangles. It took a couple scenarios but it’s one of my favorite classes and I thought it was extremely strong at levels 4-6 and just insane at 7+

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Got a question about my newly unlocked Lightning Bolt and Item 26.

Lightning Bolt has a lot of attacks where you can suffer damage to gain extra effect on the attack. If you combo Long Spear with that kind of action, you suffer the damage only once and gain the extra effect for both the original target and the extra target, did I figure that out correctly?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Is JotL available outside of the US yet?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

That Italian Guy posted:

I got mine about a month and a half ago.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That Italian Guy posted:

It released in Australia start of September.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warden posted:

Got a question about my newly unlocked Lightning Bolt and Item 26.

Lightning Bolt has a lot of attacks where you can suffer damage to gain extra effect on the attack. If you combo Long Spear with that kind of action, you suffer the damage only once and gain the extra effect for both the original target and the extra target, did I figure that out correctly?
Yes. Same with elements on that item.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Yes. Same with elements on that item.

Thanks.

Seems like that would be rather strong with certain cards.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

Even before unlocking That Card I was still doing awesome stuff with triangles. It took a couple scenarios but it’s one of my favorite classes and I thought it was extremely strong at levels 4-6 and just insane at 7+

Agreed: I think what throws people is that the class is a mix between planning a turn in advance and optimizing based on the game-state and cards in your hand. If you fixate too much on your original plan you can end up missing out on some big turns.

It’s also a class that’s sensitive to what items your campaign unlocked and to the willingness of other players to provide specific kinds of support. That makes for a variable play experience, where a class like Sun or Eclipse doesn’t care about random item designs or other players much to be effective.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Wow thanks for the headsup, just ordered a copy of JotL from my LGS!

As an aside, we are starting Scenario 27 (after cheesing Scenario 19 to death in 4 Rounds) in the Gloomhaven LP thread! Come over and help us survive the onslaught - but check the Spoiler alerts in the OP first! The thread is directly controlling our Spellweaver for this Scenario (also, weàve bumped the difficulty to Party Level +1).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 20, 2020

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Narsham posted:

Agreed: I think what throws people is that the class is a mix between planning a turn in advance and optimizing based on the game-state and cards in your hand. If you fixate too much on your original plan you can end up missing out on some big turns.

It’s also a class that’s sensitive to what items your campaign unlocked and to the willingness of other players to provide specific kinds of support. That makes for a variable play experience, where a class like Sun or Eclipse doesn’t care about random item designs or other players much to be effective.

My experience with triangles level 2-6 is that you spend time setting up and planning ahead and the stars align and the monsters move exactly where you want them to, and then you do your super cool move, and that one move feels super cool. . . but the setup turn plus the cool move turn is still about as good as the other player who just walks up to a monster and goes "bonk" two turns in a row. And then next time around you try to combo off, the monsters don't move how you were hoping and you accomplish gently caress-all while everyone else keeps bonking monsters reliably. And then you cry into your attack deck full of +0 modifiers and dream of playing a class that isn't complete hot trash.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Warden posted:

Thanks.

Lightning Bolts is an extremely strong class with certain items. It's my second favorite after Angry Face.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warden posted:

Thanks.

Yeah certain items are extremely good with lighting bolts. Lining up two enemies and then Glass Hammering both of them is probably my all time favorite move for any class I have played, it's a simple idea but very satisfying

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The most important thing you can do as Lightning bolts is enhance Strengthen on the bottom of Bounce Back. It will be your most used action by far.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

My experience with triangles

I think this is probably the most key thing, it's maybe the class where personal experiences are going to shape your view of it more than any other.

From my experience it's probably my favorite class, especially once you get the hang of it and get to higher levels where you don't have as many "dead" turns to set things up. Even then, except for the first turn of the game/immediately after rest you shouldn't constantly need to alternate set up -> payoff turns since you should be able to pretty reliably set up things during your payoff turns. Less "set up -> payoff -> setup -> payoff" and more "setup -> payoff & setup -> payoff & setup -> payoff".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Triangles also benefits enormously from having certain party members along that can help it passively in other words, party members that generate more elements than they use. Someone like the Cragheart can basically make Earth every turn and won't have a use for all of it. Mindthief is another one in the starting set that makes a bunch of ice and some dark and doesn't use much of either.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

For me, I don't like triangles because if I'm going to put in that galaxy brain effort, I'd rather play circles instead

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kalli posted:

The most important thing you can do as Lightning bolts is enhance Strengthen on the bottom of Bounce Back. It will be your most used action by far.

I prefer bless. You can very quickly stack your deck with a ton of x2 damage as Lightning Bolts. I've lost track of how many bosses I've one shotted.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Oof, scenario 3 is some pretty tough stuff- we went in and got exhausted when we hit 9/15 Inox down. Any advice for a party consisting of a Tinkerer, Brute, and Spellweaver?

e: Hah, turns out that the TTS module we used screwed us. It set up the module for four players, instead of three!

Doesn't help that the road event we encountered on the way made us throw two of all of our cards in the discard pile, either

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 21, 2020

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

dwarf74 posted:

Hatchet is extremely cool, and The Favorite is a great mechanic that hits all the right theme and gameplay notes.

All the Jaws characters are awesome. They seem to hit that sweet spot where they're powerful but not broken. Only one I'm tepid on is the Demolitionist but from what I hear, he's really specialized for the Jaws scenarios and works great there.

Red Guard and Voidwarden are two of my favorite classes in the game, period.

My group finished our JotL playthrough last week and we're gonna go back through vanilla GH, since I missed their first playthough, and none of us have done Forgotten Circles.

I absolutely loved playing a tanky Red Guard, but I elected not to try it out in base GH, because it seems like the lack of a "No negative equipment effects" perk would really hurt it's ability to act as a tank with the available item pool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Free Gratis posted:

My group finished our JotL playthrough last week and we're gonna go back through vanilla GH, since I missed their first playthough, and none of us have done Forgotten Circles.

I absolutely loved playing a tanky Red Guard, but I elected not to try it out in base GH, because it seems like the lack of a "No negative equipment effects" perk would really hurt it's ability to act as a tank with the available item pool.

I get the impression that most people house rule this, since yeah it is a pretty big drawback

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kalli posted:

TBH a bottom-side strengthen is ungodly strong on like 80% of the game's classes.

Two rounds of strengthen is one of the strongest effects in the game.

Free Gratis posted:

Per Isaac, they should have that perk in base GH. Depending on your preference, it can be an extra 16th perk, add on to an existing perk, or replace a perk.

This is necessary because the only reason redguard doesn't have it already is that there's no negative item effects in JotL.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 21, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

My experience with triangles level 2-6 is that you spend time setting up and planning ahead and the stars align and the monsters move exactly where you want them to, and then you do your super cool move, and that one move feels super cool. . . but the setup turn plus the cool move turn is still about as good as the other player who just walks up to a monster and goes "bonk" two turns in a row. And then next time around you try to combo off, the monsters don't move how you were hoping and you accomplish gently caress-all while everyone else keeps bonking monsters reliably. And then you cry into your attack deck full of +0 modifiers and dream of playing a class that isn't complete hot trash.

Bad items, or bad party composition, or not enough money, I am guessing. You really want triangles to start at L4, and maybe even to do a casual run to collect some money if you aren't starting higher, depending upon your party's element generation capability. And it is definitely better if you start at lower level to be doing some of the early-to-mid game scenarios with lots of demons, so you get extra elements you can consume from them, although that could be frustrating until you get familiar with initiatives. You are not as fragile as the Spellweaver and should be getting stuck in: if you want monsters to move a particular way, move to provoke them accordingly or ask your party-mates to help.

It should be turn 1, setup. Turn 2, I drop a multitarget attack and generate an element I need for turn 3, plus whatever I pull from my modifier deck. I have one or more element generating items on hand: if I don't pull anything useful, I use one of them to finish my two-element set-up. About half the time, I end up with at least one extra element at the end of turn 2, either from my modifier deck or from an ally putting an element out that I can use.

Turn 3, I optimize. If I had a miserable draw, I could use a loss card, or something like Winter's Edge for Attack 5, which is above the curve. If I drew well, I can find myself playing Attack 3, range 3, stun, 2 targets, or an Attack 5, range 3 off a L1 card. A good draw leading into an off-round sees you cash in elements for 1 XP and Move 7. Keep in mind that all of this is before any items you have, and you will at some point be carrying things with pierce or + attack to make you more effective.

Very rapidly, you're able to start off with an AoE and skip the turn 1 setup. Triangles has multiple "opener" cards that put a vital element out while hitting multiple enemies to fish for elements. You should also put some element generation on a few card bottoms to hedge your bets and conserve on your spent mana generators.

True, until you hit L7 you won't dominate a room like Lightning or Eclipse or Craggie does sometimes, but you will be above the curve on effectiveness and you'll have a nice variety pack of conditions or damage you can tailor to the situation. Ironically, I think it's the combination of a balance between random opportunity and deliberate planning and the high degree to which Triangles has to adjust tactics to individual scenarios, or even individual rooms, that makes it a miserable choice for the kind of player who wants to take the same deck of ability cards every time and doesn't want to be monitoring multiple element generating items and long resting to recover them. If you want to play bonk, bonk, this character could randomly select ability cards and use monster AI with no loss of effectiveness, that's fine. Triangles is either going to suck or be good depending upon your play. It's an unforgiving but rewarding class.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Narsham posted:

Turn 3, I optimize. If I had a miserable draw, I could use a loss card, or something like Winter's Edge for Attack 5, which is above the curve. If I drew well, I can find myself playing Attack 3, range 3, stun, 2 targets, or an Attack 5, range 3 off a L1 card. A good draw leading into an off-round sees you cash in elements for 1 XP and Move 7.

(triangles) See, this is where I have a problem. The stun 2 targets is pretty good (it's absolutely the best trick triangles has until level 7) but in your other examples you did all that setting up and your payoff is. . . an attack 5. With a modifier deck full of 0s. Other classes' level 1 cards generally do attack 3 with another effect, attack 4 plain, attack 5 with a simple condition to satisfy (e.g. the Scoundrel's flanking abilities). And they'll drop poo poo like that every turn. And once they're up a couple levels and done some battle goals, their attack modifier deck will be full of +1s and poo poo. So you do all this setup and get off your sweet attack 5 range 3 or attack 5 pierce 4 range 4 from a level 5 card, and do. . . 5 damage. Meanwhile someone else runs up and goes "bonk" and gets maybe a rolling +1 or status effect or something into a terminal +1 and does just as much as you with no setup or elements, from a level one card.

As for the move, yeah you can spend a bunch of elements to move 7, but then you're not spending them doing a cool attack. The rest of triangles' move cards are lovely as heck, way too slow, because of the gimmick of tying element generation to those cards. And so you end up having to choose between doing damage and moving into position, which is a problem no other class has.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

(triangles) See, this is where I have a problem.

So you do all this setup and get off your sweet attack 5 range 3 or attack 5 pierce 4 range 4 from a level 5 card, and do. . . 5 damage. Meanwhile someone else runs up and goes "bonk" and gets maybe a rolling +1 or status effect or something into a terminal +1 and does just as much as you with no setup or elements, from a level one card.

Eh this is kind of a strained comparison:

The "vanilla" attack 5 range 3 example(s) are level 1 also and are well ahead of the curve. For level 1 range 3 attacks it's typically attack 3, attack 2 with moderate effect (wound/poison/etc) or attack 1 with powerful effect (like stun). You can't directly compare ONLY the damage portion to melee attacks, cause otherwise every ranged class likewise comes out looking worse; the range is factored into the balance (as is stuff like experience gained, which these cards typically have).

Winter's Edge the big selling point is obviously the pierce 4 (well and the 4 range). Sure against non-shielded enemies you're doing 5 damage either way, but you also don't even need the setup to do that. Against moderately or heavily shielded enemies -- particularly ones like Flame Demons, Living Spirits, Iron Golems -- you're doing potentially the equivalent of 8 or 9 damage. Against Flame Demons who have high shield and ranged retaliate your melee guys can suffer if they can't do enough damage over the shield to kill them in one or 2 hits, Triforce can do a heavy hit outside of the range of their retaliate.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 21, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

(triangles) See, this is where I have a problem. The stun 2 targets is pretty good (it's absolutely the best trick triangles has until level 7) but in your other examples you did all that setting up and your payoff is. . . an attack 5. With a modifier deck full of 0s. Other classes' level 1 cards generally do attack 3 with another effect, attack 4 plain, attack 5 with a simple condition to satisfy (e.g. the Scoundrel's flanking abilities). And they'll drop poo poo like that every turn. And once they're up a couple levels and done some battle goals, their attack modifier deck will be full of +1s and poo poo. So you do all this setup and get off your sweet attack 5 range 3 or attack 5 pierce 4 range 4 from a level 5 card, and do. . . 5 damage. Meanwhile someone else runs up and goes "bonk" and gets maybe a rolling +1 or status effect or something into a terminal +1 and does just as much as you with no setup or elements, from a level one card.

As for the move, yeah you can spend a bunch of elements to move 7, but then you're not spending them doing a cool attack. The rest of triangles' move cards are lovely as heck, way too slow, because of the gimmick of tying element generation to those cards. And so you end up having to choose between doing damage and moving into position, which is a problem no other class has.

I think they're apples and oranges, the Elementalist has a lot of ranged AOE and multi-target abilities and if their attack modifier deck was full of a Scoundrel's rolling modifiers the class would be plain busted. Instead, it's merely pretty good.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Can anyone please PM me or spoil with what the current unlockable classes in the PC game are? Symbols are fine, I know music note and triangles are in for sure. Not sure who else they've gotten in there yet. A friend and I did a few coop missions last night as Brute and Scoundrel, it was a lot of fun. It should be great once they get the campaigns and the rest of the classes added.

I missed this game. We did a few Frosthaven test missions on tabletop simulator but otherwise I haven't played since we finished my copy over a year ago. One of my group just finished a second run through with another gaming group and I'm jealous that they are about to start FC.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bagrada posted:

Can anyone please PM me or spoil with what the current unlockable classes in the PC game are? Symbols are fine, I know music note and triangles are in for sure. Not sure who else they've gotten in there yet. A friend and I did a few coop missions last night as Brute and Scoundrel, it was a lot of fun. It should be great once they get the campaigns and the rest of the classes added.

I believe that is all of them.

dwarf74 posted:

TBH a bottom-side strengthen is ungodly strong on like 80% of the game's classes.

Two rounds of strengthen is one of the strongest effects in the game.

True, but that one also combines it with low initiative and a heal 1 to clear poison, all on a move 3. It's such a perfect workhorse card for lightning bolts

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

Just those two for now.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ahh okay thanks, lots more work for them to do then. I stopped paying attention in between the two releases so I'd hoped they'd snuck a few more in there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

Ahh okay thanks, lots more work for them to do then. I stopped paying attention in between the two releases so I'd hoped they'd snuck a few more in there.
There have been a ton of other improvements beyond adding classes.... Guildmaster mode is quite good, actually.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Triangles spoilers: If you insist on making these kinds of comparisons, I don't know how to continue the conversation. Attack 5 off a L1 card is objectively good in Gloomhaven. It's like you're comparing to the damage other characters can crank out with multiple items or enhancements or perks when I'm deliberately refraining from factoring them into my example. Scoundrel can top off at <damage> times 4 once per scenario; several characters can trivially expect to crank out 30+ damage in a single round of a scenario between loss cards and some basic items. Suggesting that triangles needs elements and therefore getting an Attack 5 off sucks because other classes can do Attack 5 every turn without elements is like saying Mindthief sucks because you can't get Attack 5 melee attacks without a turn's set-up for Mind's Weakness. Mindthief is doing very little on that set-up turn but is good to go afterward, and I suspect you'd then consider that fine because you can go into "bonk" mode for the rest of the scenario. But triangle usually does more on its set-up turns than someone like Mindthief does, and once you get rolling, the pattern isn't "set-up turn doing nothing, hit turn that does as well as other characters do every turn, next set-up doing nothing." Your "set-up" attack is often something like a seven-hex AoE with low damage enhanceable non-loss card that the Spellweaver would kill to have in her deck.

You seem to have missed my point on the move 7: this is for the turn when one room or corridor has been cleared and it's time to move over to the next one. There's multiple classes that, confronted with this in all but the smallest of scenarios, are left with "long rest to get back anything better than Move 3, then get into the doorway next turn if you're lucky" where triangles can not only move where he wants, but cash in an element for 1 XP in the process. Unlike the Spellweaver or the Diviner, you can take a few hits, and while your hand size isn't huge, your effectiveness relies mainly on elements and not loss cards, so you have good endurance most of the time. If you get a few really unlucky modifier draws, you might have to burn a loss to give you the two elements you need to accomplish something on the following turn.

Most rooms, once triangles has entered, you'll maybe want to move once, and your element generator will be adequate for that purpose. And unlike many characters, in a scenario where you need to focus on moving instead of attacking, you can string together some ridiculous move actions. Your main problem there is not having flight/jump, and that's pretty easy to rectify.

Let's compare with another "slower" character. I'm going to look across all L1 and X cards, even though you have to leave a few behind in practice.

Brute: 3J, 3, 3, 4, 4JL, 6L, X, D, D, D, D, D, D
Total non-loss movement: 29 plus X, Loss cards allow for a spike to 39 plus X once
Best non-loss movement over one cycle with a 10 card hand: 13 plus a default for 15 total. Using your X for movement is usually suboptimal, but if you do you can get 16+ across a single full-hand cycle, rarely better than 20 unless you crit on a Move X turn. You can see why having boots for + movement on a Brute is important.

Triangle: 2A, 2E, 2F, 2I, 2/disadvantage, 2/5/J, 3/5/7, 3/5/7, D, D, D, D, D
Total non-loss movement: low 28, moderate 35, high 39, (no loss cards for movement)
Best non-loss movement over one cycle with a 10 card hand: 23 without any defaults. Movement ranges from 2 to 7. Using elements to boost to 7 is usually suboptimal.
Non-loss movement over one cycle with a 10 card hand using 3 infusions: 19. You either move 2 or move 5. Odds are you only need to plan 2 of the 3 infusions.
Non-loss movement over one cycle with a 10 card hand using only 1 infusion: 14, though you probably aren't cashing a default so your Move 2s give you something else you need. This is indeed slow, but if you need to go faster, you have the option in every room where the Brute has the option once.

By the way, L1 Scoundrel has 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6, D, D, D, D, D, D, for 36 total movement and a one-cycle movement across 9 cards of 19; if we allow a stamina potion to get Move 6 back for a fifth turn, 25. Triangle obviously can't beat that. But if needed, triangle can nearly keep up. Brute and Scoundrel can improve movement with +1 enhancements; triangle prefers to use element enhancements, allowing you to fuel a Move 7 off a Move 2 + two element card when you need to, or to power attack cards if you don't.

In theory, and with the right elements, triangle can keep pace with the Scoundrel. In practice, you almost never move that much, because you'll want at least one of your best movement cards as an attack, and because that level of movement is rarely required. Sunkeeper usually gets by with defaults during combat with two or three faster move cards to shift between rooms, and that's with the blanket -1 for at least some of the scenario. But knocking triangle for having poor movement just doesn't acknowledge the reality. Triangle has a trade-off between attack and movement unique to the character. It is never going to be best at either, but it can keep pace.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Question for anyone who has unlocked the envelope X reward:

(ENVELOPE X REWARD SPOILER BELOW, also spoilers for the shop up to prosperity 6)

I really cannot seem to make this class click. I've found a single reddit guide, but it's from an older printing, and the class has been nerfed since then for some reason. The obvious build seems to be dropping a bunch of summons for their persistent buffs and leaving them behind, but that appears to be a lot of hassle for a pretty small payoff. You're burning a loss card and a top action, losing one of your few good bottom actions, have to ensure the summon never sees combat (every scenario I've played with it has had some condition or other that caused enemies to appear near the starting spot), and in return you get some buffs to a class with little CC that wants to be in melee range of multiple enemies, none of which it is likely to kill without party assistance. Permanent +1 shield and +2 damage sounds great on paper, but in practice there will be some complication like retaliate, shield or just drawing the focus of half the room wherever you go.

Alternatively, you can lean heavily into the summoning aspect, spend 200 gold on Hive Mind, and play a loss card that means your summons will survive 1-3 hits on scenario levels 4+. Looking ahead, you'll finally be able to deal proper single-target damage at level 8, via, you guessed it, playing yet another lost card. Or, if you've upgrade Hive Mind, you can burn three loss cards to get a summon with 9 health, 4 shield and 3 attack, which... isn't that great, given the cost and the average enemy damage output.

My current loadout is Boots of Levitation, Spiked Armor, Sun Earring, Major Stamina Potion, War Hammer. Mostly I just futz around, do a little damage and draw a little focus, with my main contribution being able to damage enemies through shields with the Angry Wasp and Bone Dagger cards, and once per scenario, landing an AoE stun with the War Hammer and soaking up two attacks with the Putrid Maggots. None of the five-ish scenarios I've played with it so far have been exactly ideal, but even in one that had overwhelming numbers of weaker enemies, I don't see it competing with what most other classes can do with the resources available to an endgame party. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just sort of a bum class?

[ENVELOPE X REWARD SPOILERS ABOVE]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

ENVELOPE X REWARD SPOILER

Continuing X reward spoilers:

I think its early levels are bad, with a bunch of build options that just don't quite have all the pieces they need to work. I've found it to be strong once you get into the mid and high levels, though?

Melee summons are, as always, extremely difficult to make work so I don't try; my preferred approach is to almost immediately drop two or three strong permanent losses, burn through most of the scenario with huge non-loss multi-target damage output, then exhaust midway through the last room and let the rest of the party mop up any stragglers. I think you at least need level 6's Prismatic Cyclone to make that worthwhile, though if your party has a reliable source of poison Venomous Barbs is also strong. Putrid Grubs are your best permanent effect, but they're a little tricky to set up; I recommend playing them with the bottom half of Engulfing Stingers.

Focused Scourge at level 8 is obviously where the class gets really strong, and your bread and butter "Attack 5 Target 3" becomes "Attack 5, Attack 5, Attack 5", which is just enormous and incredibly flexible damage output. But then that's endgame, you expect that sort of thing at that point.

I've not tried the ubersummon build. Permanent Shield 4 is definitely a big deal, and if it can get additional shield from supportive allies on crucial turns then it's nigh unkillable, but its damage isn't amazing and you're giving up most of your own damage build to get it so I'm not sure how useful it is in practice.