Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

KingKapalone posted:

What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

Mainly he has just straight-up murdering people who are close to him before they can attack. There's items that help as well. If the Cragheart is in your party, he'll probably end up doing the tanking. If you go without Cragheart *or* Brute, you're going to be relying a lot on alpha strikes--but you'll be pretty good at pulling them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh man, we lost our first scenario (after 4 victories). Oh well, it was bound to happen and I was very close to winning it by myself. I really like the level 2 brute ability that just outright kills a normal enemy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tekopo posted:

Oh man, we lost our first scenario (after 4 victories). Oh well, it was bound to happen and I was very close to winning it by myself. I really like the level 2 brute ability that just outright kills a normal enemy

I saw that one while looking at the X cards for Brute and it was the first level 2 card. :catstare: Cant wait for the fun times with all the characters.

Countblanc posted:

I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?

Yes, if you got a treasure it doesn't reappear. you keep all xp and gold you got up until you [s]died[/] became exhausted. You just reset it and go again.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Countblanc posted:

That's correct--the only penalty is feeling sad. You don't even have to go back to town if you don't want to, you can just play it again without needing to do a town or road event, and you'll be at full health with refreshed items.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, pretty much. You still get all the XP that you got during the round as well as any gold that you managed to loot as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well I feel sad enough as it is, so I'll be sure to not fail any missions.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So when you level you get 1 card only?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

So when you level you get 1 card only?
When you level you:
- Get to select 1 new card to add to your deck (I find that choosing cards is really difficult because they all seem sooo good).
- Get a perk (which means that you can modify your damage deck)
- Get more health (depending on character)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Leveled up and got 3 checkmark at same time after 3rd scenario. Giddy at the options. Giddy like I haven't been at a game in a while.

Games really good guys. I can't believe there's tons of classes I don't even know anything about.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I still don't have my copy. :cry:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't have my copy. :cry:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

When you level you:
- Get to select 1 new card to add to your deck (I find that choosing cards is really difficult because they all seem sooo good).

Reminder for everyone: that new card you get REPLACES another card already in your hand.

You can NEVER have more cards in your hand than what's printed on the top right of your character card.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 14, 2017

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't call it replacing, as that implies you're losing another card. You unlock new cards for your card pool so they are available for use in a scenario. At the beginning of every scenario you have to decide which cards will make up your hand for that scenario, out of the pool of all your unlocked cards. You can freely swap cards in and out of your hand between scenarios. Some classes can get away with having a generic hand all rounder hand they use for most scenarios, but some with more situational cards (Tinkerer notably) should probably be swapping cards in and out frequently.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

To clarify the clarification your starting 'card pool is all the level 1 cards and three level X cards. You choose from these, the easy way being to pick up the level 1 cards and go.

A couple of the mindthiefs X cards are really good and replaced starting cards for me. Rat swarm was cool as a decoy that bites. But it just cannot keep up with you to get to the next room. Ditched it.

Now level 2....hmmmm tricky

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bombadilillo posted:

A couple of the mindthiefs X cards are really good and replaced starting cards for me. Rat swarm was cool as a decoy that bites. But it just cannot keep up with you to get to the next room. Ditched it.

You have mind control powers that can move your rats faster.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

You have mind control powers that can move your rats faster.

Hmmm true. Been using that to help buddies get to something to heal/kill it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KingKapalone posted:

What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

- Mindthief has a Move 2/Heal 2 bottom action which is a really useful top up
- Lots of stun and disarm to prevent attacks
- High damage to kill enemies before they can retaliate
- At least 1 card that provides invisibility

I am distinctly getting the impression that GH is a game where it is much, much better to avoid taking attacks at all via killing enemies and moving instead of attempting to go toe-to-toe with enemies via healing and shield.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh no. I made a foolish mistake. I went to the KS page to see if the comments had any new US groups getting shipments and its basically just hyper board game nerds making GBS threads themselves in rage about shipping or lack of communication. Sigh.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm guessing the majority of those people have never used crowdfunding before.

This has been by far the most communication I've ever seen from a board game Kickstarter. I've had stuff stuck in limbo with no communication for months on end before - not to mention a few that basically disappeared without delivering anything to anyone. Issac has even said which container ships the games are coming over from China on, for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, it sucks that not everyone is getting them day one, but we're talking tens of thousands of copies to dozens of countries. The fact that just about everyone should get them within a span of a month is pretty amazing.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm guessing the majority of those people have never used crowdfunding before.

This has been by far the most communication I've ever seen from a board game Kickstarter. I've had stuff stuck in limbo with no communication for months on end before - not to mention a few that basically disappeared without delivering anything to anyone. Issac has even said which container ships the games are coming over from China on, for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, it sucks that not everyone is getting them day one, but we're talking tens of thousands of copies to dozens of countries. The fact that just about everyone should get them within a span of a month is pretty amazing.

Yeah Isaac is pretty communicative. The Mythic: Pantheon guys are really good too, they give an update every single Wednesday, and it appears that it will actually arrive on time, which is crazy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I can check my email right now and tell you what shipping issues are happening in Spain and Canada, because he emails out like twice a week to everyone!

Dude sent an update saying it was going from mid Nov to late Nov.

MikeCrotch posted:

- Mindthief has a Move 2/Heal 2 bottom action which is a really useful top up
- Lots of stun and disarm to prevent attacks
- High damage to kill enemies before they can retaliate
- At least 1 card that provides invisibility

I am distinctly getting the impression that GH is a game where it is much, much better to avoid taking attacks at all via killing enemies and moving instead of attempting to go toe-to-toe with enemies via healing and shield.

Cool, while I leveled up I mixed up my card hand to get more damage and less healing.

I also feel like I should be taking more long rests, but the game's constant cardtime pressure makes it sound so bad. But its not and I should do it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can build cragheart to work as a pretty effective disabler/tank. he's got the HP for it. Same with the brute. The shield on the mindthief, on the other hand, is really only there for special circumstances.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I also feel like I should be taking more long rests, but the game's constant cardtime pressure makes it sound so bad. But its not and I should do it.

You'll find your tempo for resting eventually. The main thing to keep in mind is that when possible, you always want to long rest rather than short rest--it heals you, it refreshes your items, and it's actually letting you stick around for more turns that short rest does. You short rest when you need to rest but it isn't safe to do so, or when you need a particular card back for next turn and drat the consequences. There's plenty of times we'll have someone long rest while the rest of us are still fighting; as long as it's not throwing things too out of whack it's fine.

Also, I just want to say that it gives me warm fuzzies inside every time I see someone new give their first impressions of "HOLY poo poo GLOOMHAVEN IS GOOD YOU GUYS".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah there were times that I looked back and went. drat we should have all long rested before kicking in that door.
Also I am squarely in the "OMG camp"

So rooms aren't revealed till you kick a door in. But you can really see it if you have the campaign book. Do you try not to peak at the rooms? Its hard when there are 2 side rooms and one has a chest in it. Real hard to not go that way.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The content of all of the rooms is public information--everyone can look at the scenario book if they want. We typically just set up all the rooms, and keep in mind which ones have been opened and which ones haven't.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah there were times that I looked back and went. drat we should have all long rested before kicking in that door.
Also I am squarely in the "OMG camp"

So rooms aren't revealed till you kick a door in. But you can really see it if you have the campaign book. Do you try not to peak at the rooms? Its hard when there are 2 side rooms and one has a chest in it. Real hard to not go that way.

You can use the PDF or app in the OP that allows you to reveal rooms as you advance.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I asked Boardlandia again if they have any new info about my pre-order. They do not. They're hoping to hear from their distributor soon. Do you think Funagain Games are distributor for the retail stores too?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The reason rooms aren't setup until you open the door is that enemy standees are limited, so there wouldn't be enough standees to fully setup some scenarios. By default all scenario information is meant to be public, aside from treasure chest contents.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

The content of all of the rooms is public information--everyone can look at the scenario book if they want. We typically just set up all the rooms, and keep in mind which ones have been opened and which ones haven't.

I could have sworn you weren't supposed to know enemies are set up in a room until you open the door, would've drastically changed the way we played scenario 1. Is there something in the rulebook that says enemy type/placement is public knowledge while doors are closed?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I could have sworn you weren't supposed to know enemies are set up in a room until you open the door, would've drastically changed the way we played scenario 1. Is there something in the rulebook that says enemy type/placement is public knowledge while doors are closed?

I swear I read that too, but the standies reason makes sense. I've already run into not having enough standies to fill out a new room, in which case you just don't place them.

ShaneB posted:

You can use the PDF or app in the OP that allows you to reveal rooms as you advance.

This seems like the more fun way to play but could make you fail pretty easily if you go across a big room the wrong way. Movement can get precious near the end and my cool fantasy guy can murder an army and then take a nap from walking to the treasure chest.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Well upon review, it seems designer intent is that scenario components are public but specific placement of those components within the scenario is not. I thought I had read otherwise, but I just checked the FAQ thread on BGG. So you know if there are any treasure chests, and which enemy types are present, just not specifically where on the map stuff is.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Well upon review, it seems designer intent is that scenario components are public but specific placement of those components within the scenario is not. I thought I had read otherwise, but I just checked the FAQ thread on BGG. So you know if there are any treasure chests, and which enemy types are present, just not specifically where on the map stuff is.

So you are just supposed to not look too close. Weird, I guess the huge booklet would have to be 3x as big to reveal rooms individually. Gonna try the app next scenario for fun.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

I'd recommend getting your last older dungeon crawls in. The hype is right, this pretty much fired Descent and others of the like for me. The card system is so much better then move and roll and repeat. Or don't because you have better coming.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

I got a complete set of Mage Knight for really cheap and will be playing that as our other campaign/scenario game when the group is not playing GH. The rules aren't actually that bad after revisiting (after 4 years) it having played wargames, though I wish they were all bulleted and numbered sections now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ShaneB posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839947

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ShaneB posted:

Pandemic Legacy Season 2. We play all of our legacy games with the same group (we've gone through Legends of Andor, Pandemic Legacy Season 1, and Mechs vs. Minions together).

The problem is, we're only in February, and my Gloomhaven should be here this week.

I'm much more excited about Gloomhaven, but the group will probably insist on finishing Pandemic first.

:negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now I wish mage knight had LOCs and logistics considerations. Needing a baggage train to keep your adventuring going and worrying about EZOCs encroaching on your nearest friendly castle would be really fun. Founders of Gloomhaven could've been this logistics game. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Yeah there is a huge difference in how you approach doors when you don't know exactly what is on the other side, even if you know there might be skellies "somewhere".