Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

I imagine it would be better to keep the Gloomhaven & Frosthaven fans in the same thread. Would there be the population to split the threads? I'm sure the Gloomhaven thread would need a makeover to highlight Frosthaven though when it comes out.

Yeah the thread right now is relatively slow anyway even post-JotL release and with them actively adding stuff to Gloomhaven digital. Frosthaven will generate a bunch of discussion but I don't think the odd first timer GH question will get too lost in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Can you say anything about scenario design?

If the answer is "no" then I totally understand.
Nah. That falls into too many details and specifics. Sorry.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yay I'm really happy for you and I'm glad it was a good time. I really like seeing "We're meticulously tracking contributions to party success". That's a big deal to me. I've been sort of kind of doing that for a while in my TTS and digital games without writing anything down. Just kind of noticing "wow that was powerful" and "this class never really gets to do many cool things".
Oh yeah it's very detailed, not merely gut-feel. I don't think I can say more about process but it feels to me like we're doing a good job tracking things that may be non-obvious.

And I think there's no need for a second thread. Just repurpose this one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This thread is over 3 years old now. I feel like it would be perfectly fine to close it and start a fresh one once FH comes out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

This thread is over 3 years old now. I feel like it would be perfectly fine to close it and start a fresh one once FH comes out.
Yeah closing this one and opening a new one would be fine. We just don't need parallel threads for GH and FH.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Just retired Circles to get Two Mini. This is gonna be a pretty smooth transition, I think. I'm already seeing a bunch of synergy between the two classes, but I'm not sure anyone else will enjoy Circles the way I did.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Xinder posted:

Just retired Circles to get Two Mini. This is gonna be a pretty smooth transition, I think. I'm already seeing a bunch of synergy between the two classes, but I'm not sure anyone else will enjoy Circles the way I did.

Our current party is Circles, Two Minis and Sun and I can confirm that they do indeed kick rear end together. In one round, we can get the bear to attack five times with the +3 modifier. The bear's normal attack, Beast Tyrant command, top and bottom actions from Circles and an attack 6 from Sun's bottom. On the flip side, we can also dump 4 curses in a turn with the Void Eater. Meanwhile, I just hang Sun out up front and soak up a bunch of 0 and 1 damage attacks. It's very effective!

Circles gets kind of a bad rap but I think it's easily one of the best support classes. If you focus on laying down poison and curses with the Void Eater and Thorn Shooter and ignore most of the other summons, and lay down healing fairies/heals whenever your melee allies need to be topped off, you'll do great things. We regularly drain the monster curse deck.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Second Forgotten Circles scenario down.

Got 1XP before bonuses which kinda sucked and looking at the Diviner's cards I'm not sure how I could have got much more since I spent most of it teleporting around and I'm focusing on rifts rather than the support or card stuff. Highlight was teleporting an enemy into a completely locked off area that they couldn't escape from.

Also we missed the (optional) chest that apparently people hate.

Partner is enjoying Three Spears too, and the next few scenarios look a bit more interesting.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I get so frustrated reading a guide for a character after I've done only 2 sessions with them. I hate seeing an entire paragraph devoted to one card action that completely misses one of the best uses for it.

Two Minis: Borrowed Essence kicks rear end because you can pull the damage off the bear and put it on yourself, then chug a potion to heal it instantly. This loving guide is suggesting using it along with Patch Fur to move damage off of other summons and then spending another turn to heal the bear. That's so wasteful and doesn't keep your bear alive longer, which feels like the primary objective with Beast Tyrant.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Heads up anyone playing Gloomhaven on TTS, the latest TTS patch broke some of the scripts, and removing characters/players doesn't work properly anymore. The creator of the mod is looking at it.

Just when I retired Lightning Bolt for Cthulhu, and other player retired Sun, and decided to take Saw, which another player played previously (badly). If things get unfucked, our team is gonna be Saw, Eclipse, Cthulhu and Music Note at Prosperity level 7. The last two have absolutely bonkers amount of synergy and I started giggling when I spotted what Cthulhu has for level 7.

Boy, when Isaac wrote on his Frosthaven updates that some of the classes weren't actually properly play-tested before original Gloomhaven release he sure wasn't kidding.

Xinder posted:

I get so frustrated reading a guide for a character after I've done only 2 sessions with them. I hate seeing an entire paragraph devoted to one card action that completely misses one of the best uses for it.

Two Minis: Borrowed Essence kicks rear end because you can pull the damage off the bear and put it on yourself, then chug a potion to heal it instantly. This loving guide is suggesting using it along with Patch Fur to move damage off of other summons and then spending another turn to heal the bear. That's so wasteful and doesn't keep your bear alive longer, which feels like the primary objective with Beast Tyrant.

Other summons on Two-Mini are a mostly waste of time anyway, so that guide sounds like it's written by someone who never played it to high levels.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Apparently the most recent TTS update broke Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup pretty bad.

So uh. Be advised.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Apparently the most recent TTS update broke Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup pretty bad.

So uh. Be advised.

Wait, did it break more things besides removing characters/players?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Does it auto update?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warden posted:

Wait, did it break more things besides removing characters/players?
I don't know the details - basically the lua scripting engine was hosed with somehow.

Don't mess with player mats, I'm hearing.

e: These are the things causing the problems...

The TTS Update posted:

Updated Lua Moonsharp to 2.0.
Lots of code refractoring and cleanup to facilitate faster updates in the future.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 30, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

I don't know the details - basically the lua scripting engine was hosed with somehow.

Don't mess with player mats, I'm hearing.

Yeah, we had that happen. It put a kibosh on retiring two characters. Luckily we always make multiple saves, at different points, so we're gonna wait and see if things get unfucked and then load a previous save.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Got to Spellweaver 9 just before we started Scenario 72. Also bought a Warhammer. My group's reaction upon reading the card was precious while I was like :getin: and pointed out this scenario had no doors

Sadly I'm retiring her after the next, but it's to unlock Eclipse which I understand to be pretty solid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh that's a hell of a victory lap right there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Conspiratiorist posted:

Got to Spellweaver 9 just before we started Scenario 72. Also bought a Warhammer. My group's reaction upon reading the card was precious while I was like :getin: and pointed out this scenario had no doors

Sadly I'm retiring her after the next, but it's to unlock Eclipse which I understand to be pretty solid.

Another hand item that's fun with a level 9 Spellweaver is the drill. I use that on my level 9 Spellweaver in digital and it's hilarious. Warhammer might be better in certain situations (and is definitely more funny) but I like to always max damage.

I forget, do you have a 3 Spears in your party? Because it would be hilarious to have them keep giving you back your consumed Warhammer over and over

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Nah, Scoundrel + Sun, but the Scoundrel picked up on things immediately and their first turn was to go ahead of me and create Fire, and later on used Scroll of Stamina to get me back the card.

I ended up playing it every single round.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That card is brutal and hilarious in all the best ways.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Warden posted:

Yeah, we had that happen. It put a kibosh on retiring two characters. Luckily we always make multiple saves, at different points, so we're gonna wait and see if things get unfucked and then load a previous save.

Looking at the comments on Steam TTS page for Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup, seems like they have resolved the bugs.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

alkanphel posted:

Looking at the comments on Steam TTS page for Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup, seems like they have resolved the bugs.

Yup, it works now. Had to go back one save, but had no problems retiring and starting two characters.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How does this work for existing saved games? I assume the new mod version is not going to be retroactively applied? I literally upgraded to the latest version of the mod 2 weeks ago for the LP after 2y long run on...a 2y old version of the mod <.<

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

How does this work for existing saved games? I assume the new mod version is not going to be retroactively applied? I literally upgraded to the latest version of the mod 2 weeks ago for the LP after 2y long run on...a 2y old version of the mod <.<
As I understand it, it doesn't. :(

Sucks.

e: Speaking of TTS, here's the JotL character add-on I had mentioned before.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216048474

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 1, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Does anyone have a list of functionalities being broken by the latest update? The only real automation I use for the LP is the "open door > populate room" function, and that seems to be mostly intact?

E: oh, and also generating the map. I hope that is not broken <.<

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 1, 2021

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://i.imgur.com/JFZnGxo.mp4

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

As I understand it, it doesn't. :(

Sucks.

e: Speaking of TTS, here's the JotL character add-on I had mentioned before.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216048474

Quoting this so I can find it later. Thanks!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Quoting this so I can find it later. Thanks!
My pleasure!

I finally took a night for GH with my buddies instead of FH testing, and we migrated to the new mod.

I added the JotL classes and all the Guild-Released custom ones. I can't wait until we unlock all of those through their PQs :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm jonsing to play my turbo meth rat tbh. 4p was so fun, I forgot how much I love snorting speed and stabbing people, it's one of my favourite classes.

The party refers to Jekserah as the alleged necro-merchant and I love it. I got the foreteller narration app to avoid reading aloud and it's really good, cthulu face unlock spoilers where it narrated the retiring character getting owned by a stream of bugs and cthulu introducing itself was fantastic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

If you are following the Gloomhaven LP (or you would like to start to), we have just finished a Scenario and are currently voting on a few things (a level up, some perks, our new destination, the outcome of a city event)! Please make sure to read the spoiler disclaimer in the OP before venturing forth :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So it looks like I can talk about the new card designs now.

I had a chance to try them out last week. I went into it very opposed. I left finding it easier and more natural than I expected. I'm not going to lie and say I'm completely sold - there's things I like and things I don't - but give them a try. When it comes down to it, I still only had to remember 12 cards, and the icons were quick enough to parse.

The boards though, I'm 100% in favor of. I love everything about them.

Also there's a few icon redesigns.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The wound icon is way better now

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So the Aesther Necromancer is now called the Boneshaper, and its reworked cards all the way up to L9 can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rbhno2AEeOPBOkPNKWLqSqsM5EM3kwot/view

Any idea when we can see the reworked cards for the other starting classes?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

So... everything that is common enough has a symbol instead of text, and everything that was a long text box is still a long text box? Slightly less so, cause part of the text is symbols I guess :v: Not sure about the style, it feels very sci-fi, but maybe it's just the Boneshaper's color scheme.

When you say "the boards" do you mean the map tiles? Haven't had chance to see them yet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

When you say "the boards" do you mean the map tiles? Haven't had chance to see them yet.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That Italian Guy posted:

Not sure about the style, it feels very sci-fi, but maybe it's just the Boneshaper's color scheme.
That was my first impression as well.

More symbols is probably good and I like the change of elements and xp being down in the corner. The new player boards look really good, I don't think I had a single person actually read the original ones.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ah, haven't had a chance to see them yet!

Speaking of sci-fi feeling, I wonder if it's just the Boneshaper's colors/symbols being very close to the Necrons' ones from WH40k:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That colour scheme is also pretty close to old computer terminal screens and YOSPOS.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Oh, forgot to mention a funny thing that happened today. We retired a character after one Scenario. Our second coming of Saw got PQ 511, and since we were Prosperity 7 and Reputation 18, and he looted a 30 gold chest on his first mission that was enough to pull it off.

And now we're Three-Spears, Eclipse, Music Note and Cthulhu at Prosperity 8.

poo poo's broken, yo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warden posted:

Oh, forgot to mention a funny thing that happened today. We retired a character after one Scenario. Our second coming of Saw got PQ 511, and since we were Prosperity 7 and Reputation 18, and he looted a 30 gold chest on his first mission that was enough to pull it off.

And now we're Three-Spears, Eclipse, Music Note and Cthulhu at Prosperity 8.

poo poo's broken, yo.
Hahahahhaha that party will be hilarious and broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Hahahahhaha that party will be hilarious and broken.

Based on one game as Cthulhu, alone it wouldn't be problem. I'd rank it alongside Lightning, Sun, and Angry-face as a class that is noticeably stronger than the starters, but not broken (apparently the 1st ed version was broken tho). If it's together with Music Note however, it utterly and completely fucks the enemy over.

Eclipse and high-Prosperity Three-Spears are abominations, and I completely fail to see how anyone could have allowed them to come into being.