Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Selecta84 posted:

My copy will be here on Monday :-D

I'm in Germany so maybe some of you other European guys might get theirs soon

Sauerei

Did you only order the game or any add-ons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sereri posted:

Sauerei

Did you only order the game or any add-ons?

Just the game, no add ons

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My copy is here!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Got mine yesterday, finished setup while glancing occasionally at work emails after like 4 hours.

Packed the box back up to see how well that went at the end, I don't like how the board tiles and creature bags sit on top, so I picked up an accordian folder which is perfect for the board tiles, and think this is gonna be perfect.

Session 1 is Wednesday, think I'm gonna shape some bones.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kalli posted:

Got mine yesterday, finished setup while glancing occasionally at work emails after like 4 hours.

Packed the box back up to see how well that went at the end, I don't like how the board tiles and creature bags sit on top, so I picked up an accordian folder which is perfect for the board tiles, and think this is gonna be perfect.

Session 1 is Wednesday, think I'm gonna shape some bones.
Hell yeah!

Accordion folder is 100% a required accessory imo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Do you have a link to the folder? Im looking for one myself

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

Do you have a link to the folder? Im looking for one myself
Any expandable file folder will do. With 12 slots you're going to be sharing some because there's 16 kinds of tiles but that's nbd.

Or you can go for a 24 slot. If you can actually find a 16 slot one, godspeed

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The one I got is Ischolar, which I wouldn't fully recommend, it's fairly cheap looking plastic and 24 pockets, when you really only need 16 if you want to keep all the different tiles separated.

Saw it at BJ's while grocery shopping and was like, good enough.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wish this game had come in on any other day of the week. It showed up an hour and a half before I was supposed to head over to my friend's house. I couldn't just leave Frosthaven at home when it finally came in, so I had to bring it over half punched out and disorganized. We got 1 scenario and an outpost phase done in about 6 hours as a result.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just as an FYI and kinda warning, everyone - the official combat tracker app from Lucky Duck just ain't where it needs to be at all right now. The biggest issue is that it isn't displaying shield values for monsters - just kind of a binary yes or no.

I want it to be great someday, and expect it will be, but it isn't there yet.

X-haven Assistant is presently the best app, and it's a free fan one. Also the dev is chill and active in the community in a good way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I had my first session today. Every change from gloomhaven is good! Banner Spear, Boneshaper, Geminate seems like a pretty good team.

Does X-Haven Assistant peg anyone else's CPU at 100%? The laptop fan was spinning the whole time we ran it. We ran Gloomhaven Secretariat afterward just because it was so loud.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frost Haven trip report:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I had my first session today. Every change from gloomhaven is good! Banner Spear, Boneshaper, Geminate seems like a pretty good team.

Does X-Haven Assistant peg anyone else's CPU at 100%? The laptop fan was spinning the whole time we ran it. We ran Gloomhaven Secretariat afterward just because it was so loud.
Whoa!

I only use my phone and tablet. It's fine there. How weird.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Our group text has roughly 700 chats from the last guy who can't pick between Blinkblade and Banner Spear.

Rest of the team is gonna be Drifter, Germinate, Boneshaper.

Dude is worried about synergies, we played through all of Gloomhaven, got bored at one point and were running circles, cthulu, diviner, triforce for a bit. We'll be fine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey both BB and Banner are awesome.

I'll tell you what, though - if he's 700 texts deep in analysis paralysis on choosing a class, he should stay far, far away from Blinkblade. :D

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Why would you not pick banner in a 4 player game that includes boneshaper

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Our group is playing Gem (me), Blinkblade, Banner, and Deathwalker. Our blinkblade is thinking about grabbing a different close though, as he did all the "sneaky glass cannon" dudes in Gloomhaven and feels like while this is a step up in complexity, he's just becoming a bit of a trope at this point haha.
Geminate is... holy poo poo... So much going on but really enjoying it. Absolutely creamed the first two masteries in scenario 0 and 1 respectively, so that was cool. This thing is a machine, if you aren't judicious with loss cards it has an absolute insane longevity compared to everyone else except maybe the banner so far.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kalli posted:

Our group text has roughly 700 chats from the last guy who can't pick between Blinkblade and Banner Spear.

Rest of the team is gonna be Drifter, Germinate, Boneshaper.

Dude is worried about synergies, we played through all of Gloomhaven, got bored at one point and were running circles, cthulu, diviner, triforce for a bit. We'll be fine.

I can't take credit for this take, I think it was from beta testers, but Banner Spear and BoneShaper are Team BS because of how well they work together.

Envelope X spoiler I tried fitting in the BladeSwarm as well and actually naming our party Team BS but our third player is 350% set on playing Drifter. Missed opportunities.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’m doing my first session next weekend. It’ll be me, and two absolute newbs to XHaven.

They’re gonna go Bannerspear and Drifter. What class would best compliment them? I’m leaning toward Geminate just to challenge myself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Aggro posted:

I’m doing my first session next weekend. It’ll be me, and two absolute newbs to XHaven.

They’re gonna go Bannerspear and Drifter. What class would best compliment them? I’m leaning toward Geminate just to challenge myself.
Banner would love having Boney as a teammate. Geminate is great too!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Finally got to join a session with a friend's copy, as I'm still one of the frosthaven't, even though we live in the same city.

Played geminate in a 3 player party with coral and boneshaper. You can absolutely fall into a sub-optimal gameplay loop with the character if you don't manage your form switches. But, once you have that rhythm down, it feels fairly smooth. Generating elements also feels awkward with the class, unfortunately, but that might just be me not knowing the subtitles of playing it/them.

My favourite form switch move so far is combining the "+2 damage on range attacks" with an aoe attack to cause some some disgusting burst damage.

The masteries for the geminate seem very doable at low levels, unlike most of the other characters, I wonder if that holds true for other unlocked classes?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

sirtommygunn posted:

Why would you not pick banner in a 4 player game that includes boneshaper

My group is 4 scenarios in and we have had some problems with bottlenecks due to all the PCs and summons. Otherwise a good combo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Afriscipio posted:

Played geminate in a 3 player party with coral and boneshaper. You can absolutely fall into a sub-optimal gameplay loop with the character if you don't manage your form switches. But, once you have that rhythm down, it feels fairly smooth. Generating elements also feels awkward with the class, unfortunately, but that might just be me not knowing the subtitles of playing it/them.

My favourite form switch move so far is combining the "+2 damage on range attacks" with an aoe attack to cause some some disgusting burst damage.

The masteries for the geminate seem very doable at low levels, unlike most of the other characters, I wonder if that holds true for other unlocked classes?
Yeah - Geminate is kinda supposed to have trouble making elements. You have a few persistents you can drop, but it's intended to be kind of an elemental parasite of sorts. Glad you had a blast :)

Oh and yes, its masteries are totally doable from the get-go. That's not common - most classes need to work more for it!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Got my copy.

Oh man, there is so much stuff. Ordered some sleeves, an accordion folder and some ziplock bags for the monster stuff. Should have everything sorted out by Thursday, if everything arrives until then.

So stoked to play this and rocking the Bone Shaper.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
In addition to the shipping notification for a 39# box on Friday for delivery on Tuesday….I also have a second one for another 39# box from cephalofair to be delivered on Wednesday. Both are “shipment ready for UPS” so probably nothing but lol if I get two copies

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i got mine a couple weeks ago and spent around probably 5-6 hours punching out/organizing and poo poo. i got a little folio for all the map tiles and a couple of cheap planos for all the monster tiles. unfortunately we've had a pretty glacial pace on gloomhaven and we still have 5 missions to go to beat the "final boss". sorta glad tho, since the frosthaven official app is pretty rough and there's a lot of... "we are planning on doing x or y" QoL stuff.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The masteries may as well not exist for me at the moment, for all four of the characters I've played so far, so it's interesting that the geminate can do them earlier than some.

I'm looking forward to when the game has been out for a while and I can look up directions for specific unlocks. This game is admirably designed for the people avoiding spoilers, but some of us are weird and crazy. I've seen the endings to half the games on my Steam wishlist because for some kinds of games that's part of the buying process for me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ragnar34 posted:

The masteries may as well not exist for me at the moment, for all four of the characters I've played so far, so it's interesting that the geminate can do them earlier than some.

I'm looking forward to when the game has been out for a while and I can look up directions for specific unlocks. This game is admirably designed for the people avoiding spoilers, but some of us are weird and crazy. I've seen the endings to half the games on my Steam wishlist because for some kinds of games that's part of the buying process for me.
I got u
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3010969/frosthaven-class-unlocking-guide

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I only looked at first spoiler. Is that ancient tech for gloomhaven? Or is there another ancient technology in frosthaven?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fritzler posted:

I only looked at first spoiler. Is that ancient tech for gloomhaven? Or is there another ancient technology in frosthaven?
Okay. Gloomhaven Ancient Technology is a tie in for Frosthaven. Here's how it ties in.

You will unlock the Puzzle Book eventually.

If you have unlocked GH Envelope A, you can solve it as a sub-puzzle on Page 5 of the puzzle book. Envelope A is not as straightforward as the pages are - but pages 2 through 5 give you the pieces you need to solve it.

If you do not have Envelope A you'll get the tools later in the campaign. It's possible, depending on your choices, to solve the puzzle in Summer 1.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Okay. Gloomhaven Ancient Technology is a tie in for Frosthaven. Here's how it ties in.

You will unlock the Puzzle Book eventually.

If you have unlocked GH Envelope A, you can solve it as a sub-puzzle on Page 5 of the puzzle book. Envelope A is not as straightforward as the pages are - but pages 2 through 5 give you the pieces you need to solve it.

If you do not have Envelope A you'll get the tools later in the campaign. It's possible, depending on your choices, to solve the puzzle in Summer 1.

Cool. i think we have 2 or 3 ciphers from gloomhaven/forgotten circles that didn’t seem solveable. I wasn’t sure if there would be a straight cipher or not in puzzle book but makes sense. Thanks!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fritzler posted:

Cool. i think we have 2 or 3 ciphers from gloomhaven/forgotten circles that didn’t seem solveable. I wasn’t sure if there would be a straight cipher or not in puzzle book but makes sense. Thanks!
Yep! The Unfettered Scrawl is in:

Gloomhaven Envelope A and at the end of Town Records
Forgotten Circles At least one chest. I think there's something else though.

All of these are solvable after a certain point in Frosthaven.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

My group is 4 scenarios in and we have had some problems with bottlenecks due to all the PCs and summons. Otherwise a good combo.

Part of me has also been wondering if we should play Bannerspear and Boneshaper together in a 4p campaign for that reason.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You may have an expectation for how large the Frosthaven box is.

It is bigger. Edit: Oh, opening it now reveals it's mostly because the few addons I ordered meant they threw it in a box 1/3rd oversized.

darnon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 1, 2023

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

You are a diamond

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I'm playing tomorrow at a friend's house. Our group ordered 3 copies, but his doesn't get in until tomorrow.

I of course being a big ol' nerd dilligently set everything up already.

So I'm taking it there, and trading it for his copy which I will then take home and set up again for <breathy voice> personal use.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, mine came in today too! It's frostapalooza.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I am now a Frosthaver. I almost lost my balance carrying it down the stairs and narrowly avoided killing myself.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The UPS guy dropped it as he was coming out of the truck. I just happened to step outside to check my mail, I was not waiting for him like an overexcitable golden retriever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

iceyman posted:

I am now a Frosthaver. I almost lost my balance carrying it down the stairs and narrowly avoided killing myself.
Hm.

Dear Isaac - it didn't work. Please send extra Frosthaven to iceyman