Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ditto I'm trying not to count my chickens since it just got delivered at home and I'm at work but I'm not expecting any other boxes that weigh that much.

Plan is to start our run friday but we're intermingling boxes a bit. Our host is using his copy for his game with locals and my copy for our game with our original three GH players from release. They've painted the three minis we are going to start with from his copy, and our drifter has already picked out her personal quest choosing the one out of the entire set that best fits her character's motivation. Which, sure, why not.

I'm excited and wondering how long it will take to get used to the fancy new FH style cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

I'm excited and wondering how long it will take to get used to the fancy new FH style cards.
For me - half a scenario. If you have icon blindness, it may be harder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My best bud got his copy yesterday without receiving a tracking email lol, I got my tracking email this morning.

It's on baby, frosthaven is back

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Still waiting here. I should just drive the half an hour to the drat warehouse and demand my copy.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Waiting here too. I feel like I'm being punished for ordering all the extra poo poo, but oh well. It's not like I'd get the game to the table immediately anyways, and I'm still working on Crimson Scales. Finally convinced my wife to try JotL too, so there is plenty of gloomhaven to go around.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Vidmaster posted:

Waiting here too. I feel like I'm being punished for ordering all the extra poo poo, but oh well. It's not like I'd get the game to the table immediately anyways, and I'm still working on Crimson Scales. Finally convinced my wife to try JotL too, so there is plenty of gloomhaven to go around.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Crimson Scales. My concern is that it's a bunch of cool ideas that may or may not have been fully playtested for balance

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Oh shiiiiit just got a shipping notice for a 43-pound package.

I hope it's not a bag of dog food... ...sent from Cephalofair Games.

I'm about to lose my weekend to punching and sorting, aren't I.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

medchem posted:

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Crimson Scales. My concern is that it's a bunch of cool ideas that may or may not have been fully playtested for balance

I'm pretty early in the campaign and haven't unlocked any new classes yet, but so far I have a very good impression of everything. The classes I've tried so far all feel balanced, and there's nothing egregiously broken like 3 spears or eclipse that I saw during my unboxing. The classes almost all have an interesting mechanic or theme, like managing void tokens that power up your attacks but hurt you if you have too many, or "swing" which is push/pull but moving them sideways. I think Ladder is the only class I saw that feels a little bit out of place - he's a fireguard with a Dalmatian in the art, so it's a little weird but still seems like a balanced class.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey friends! I made a puzzle book hint book in invisible magic marker if any of you get stuck.

No full solutions because I respect puzzles but it's got tons of pointers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/10qf8ze/an_unofficial_and_incomplete_guide_to_the/

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh shiiiiit just got a shipping notice for a 43-pound package.

I hope it's not a bag of dog food... ...sent from Cephalofair Games.

I'm about to lose my weekend to punching and sorting, aren't I.

Your dogs' diet sounds impractical and expensive but admittedly very fibrous

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

medchem posted:

I'd be willing to say each individual class got more playtesting than all OG Gloomhaven classes taken together, the Custom Content Guild people take that stuff very seriously

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Just unlocked Meteor last night. Looks like a lot of fun, and my now 8th-level Banner Spear is one mission away from retiring.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

dwarf74 posted:

Hey friends! I made a puzzle book hint book in invisible magic marker if any of you get stuck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/10qf8ze/an_unofficial_and_incomplete_guide_to_the/

Puzzle Book solutions: I was spoiled on the class unlock that comes from the puzzle book... how far along do you have to get to unlock the class? You don't have to be coy or hint or anything, I don't mind the spoiler.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

Puzzle Book solutions: I was spoiled on the class unlock that comes from the puzzle book... how far along do you have to get to unlock the class? You don't have to be coy or hint or anything, I don't mind the spoiler.

Almost the end :)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ragnar34 posted:

Your dogs' diet sounds impractical and expensive but admittedly very fibrous

He's part labrador, they'll eat fuckin' anything.

A quick question for the Frosthaven-havers: Do the classes from GH and/or JotL integrate into FH? Or are they differently balanced enough that it's not recommended (or impossible)?

I'm looking forward to playing the FH characters, but I figure someday, if it's possible, someone in my group will want to bring in a Cragheart or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WhiteHowler posted:

A quick question for the Frosthaven-havers: Do the classes from GH and/or JotL integrate into FH? Or are they differently balanced enough that it's not recommended (or impossible)?

I'm looking forward to playing the FH characters, but I figure someday, if it's possible, someone in my group will want to bring in a Cragheart or something.

There's a guide for porting them over because there's a little monkeying, but it's not supposed to be bad.

I'm not gonna combine until I've unlocked all the classes, but that's more because I'm unlocking classes than anything else.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

WhiteHowler posted:

They can be used just fine and you need to use the new character sheets to give them a leg up but between the awful balance of the Big Three + how bad some of the other classes are, I think it would be a relatively poorer experience for whoever plays them.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I could see integrating the JotL classes with the new Frosthaven character sheets, but the GH squad feel primitively designed in comparison. Many level-ups are non-choices, perks are based on now abandoned ideas, and build options tend to be limited. Every class has a few cards that may as well not exist. The old classes are generally less complex, though, and the "low hanging fruit" class designs are mostly in Gloomhaven. Basically everything in FH is relatively complex compared to the older stuff, feels designed for people who've played one of the other games, and probably won't be intuitive if you aren't comfortable with the basic system.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

medchem posted:

My wife and I have been playing it 2p. We are a decent way into the campaign, have played four classes and are about to unlock another two.

The classes we’ve played (Chain Helmet, Vortex, Crescent Sun, Flask) have been decently balanced, although they feel either Jack-of-all-trades or extremely specialized. Level ups have been really fun because I’d say with only one exception, the choices have been really tough (Chain Helmet has two distinct builds and I think one of them is distinctly better in 2p than the other). New items have been great and the general progression feels good insofar that there are a decent amount of things you unlock just by playing and also Prosperity doesn’t feel like a bottleneck in 2p. We’ve applied the Inspiration rule from Frosthaven to help unlock classes in a reasonable fashion.

The level design is generally decent - on balance, there are a lot more levels with special rules than vanilla GH, but it isn’t anything like Forgotten Circles, which was an extremely frustrating experience at 2p (Eclipse/Diviner) until the Diviner leveled up enough to be able to do literally anything and even then, it was awash in gimmick levels.

Crimson Scales is a little rough around the edges, but it very much feels like the midpoint between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven and while we’re still Frosthaven’ts, we’re in no rush because Crimson Scales is fun enough to tide us over.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

dwarf74 posted:

Thank you very much, I've been baffled by page 15 for ages and it's very reassuring to learn I'm not actually bad at puzzles, I'm just really bad at picking the right sections to find the drat ancient coins!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Photux posted:

Thank you very much, I've been baffled by page 15 for ages and it's very reassuring to learn I'm not actually bad at puzzles, I'm just really bad at picking the right sections to find the drat ancient coins!
Hah!

It's still not totally straightforward there - I have more to add :)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My copy came in before I left for a work trip so I unboxed it, gushed over the box art and various extras I bought (the metal coins ruuuullleeeeee). Then I left thinking only of the fun I want to have playing the game.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Couldnt find any combat deck holders that fit my idea, they all stacked them upright which just feels weird, so I designed my own. Printing the first draft now but pretty happy with the premise. Idea is to keep the deck together, stop bumps/jolts from sending them flying, but without standing them upright and getting them in the way, or showing the bottom card to other players across the table.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Got my shipping notification finally! 50 lbs of frosty goodness heading my way next week!

Edit: I also thought of one more complaint I had about crimson scales - there are a handful of new conditions that only get inflicted by one character class. It would have felt like a more coherent package overall if some of them were shared.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 3, 2023

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got one of this according folders to hole my map pieces, works pretty well! But I think people were saying they were able to fit their folder back into the game box? How?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got one of this according folders to hole my map pieces, works pretty well! But I think people were saying they were able to fit their folder back into the game box? How?

My best guess would be it's in the box but the lid doesn't slide all the way down to be flush with bottom of the box

That's the real challenge with in-box 'haven storage, yes you can get everything within the box but how much of the overhang are you showing after closing. I think my Gloomhaven box has nearly a full inch of overhand, my FH box is better so far but there's still maybe a cm or 2 of inner box showing

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We unlocked Trap and weren't very impressed while reading through the cards. Seems like a class with extra work needed for basic results. A couple of the mid level cards seem required, but I'm not sure if classes are balanced around the fact that you will have leveled up by the time you unlock them. Anyone have more specific things to mention in spoilers?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

We unlocked Trap and weren't very impressed while reading through the cards. Seems like a class with extra work needed for basic results.

Haven't started playing but as this is how people described Triforce and Circles in the base game, it sounds like I'll have a new favorite class soon!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

KingKapalone posted:

We unlocked Trap and weren't very impressed while reading through the cards. Seems like a class with extra work needed for basic results. A couple of the mid level cards seem required, but I'm not sure if classes are balanced around the fact that you will have leveled up by the time you unlock them. Anyone have more specific things to mention in spoilers?
Trap tl;dr it's extremely strong and sometimes borderline OP.
It's wildly powerful. You have basically two general build paths - the 'gently caress with AI by making GBS threads traps everywhere and sometimes spring them' path and the 'stack traps and throw them at the nastiest monster' path.

For the latter, it's totally reasonable to make, like, an Attack 41 or something.

Your positive traps are super good. They work as negative hexes for monster AI and work for helping allies all the time.

It's a very fun and deceptively strong class. We kinda expect a lot of folks will have your reaction to it, but in testing we needed to specifically note when it was in the party due to the sheer amount of AI fuckery that it enables.

Build advice - Extra Teeth at 3 is mandatory, basically. Proficient Hunter at 5 is totally worth the burn even on a 9 card class. I wouldn't usually worry about removing flying from monsters - you have plenty of ways to make traps hurt them (but they're a bigger problem naturally). Take all the non-amd perks before taking the amd perks.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 3, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Trap
It's wildly powerful. You have basically two general build paths - the 'gently caress with AI by making GBS threads traps everywhere and sometimes spring them' path and the 'stack traps and throw them at the nastiest monster' path.

For the latter, it's totally reasonable to make, like, an Attack 41 or something.

Your positive traps are super good. They work as negative hexes for monster AI and work for helping allies all the time.

It's a very fun and deceptively strong class. We kinda expect a lot of folks will have your reaction to it, but in testing we needed to specifically note when it was in the party due to the sheer amount of AI fuckery that it enables.

Build advice - Extra Teeth at 3 is mandatory, basically. Proficient Hunter at 5 is totally worth the burn even on a 9 card class. I wouldn't usually worry about removing flying from monsters - you have plenty of ways to make traps hurt them (but they're a bigger problem naturally).

I haven't gotten it to the table yet, I'm just deciding between it and Snowflake, but ignoring shield (like trap damage) is a big god drat deal and can't be ignored.

(Everyone can mouse over that spoiler without too much harm fyi. It's something you know from the name of the class, but I'm being extra super nice with spoilers.)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Made it through another 3 scenarios this weekend, thoughts:

scenario 2/4: It seems weird to me that both bosses will fight you considering that you just teamed up with 1 to get in to this scenario, but I guess they needed to avoid locking you into one path based on the blind choice to play either scenario 2 or 3. Also weird to put the boss you're presumably working with on the same side of the room you enter from, considering how summon focus works. I really had to work to avoid team killing!

My biggest concern with Frosthaven going in was that there was going to be a lot of extra book keeping without much payoff, and so far I've been right on that. I get that this early into the campaign we're still setting up for things that will payoff later, but Frosthaven has added a ton of setup and in-between game time to a system where that was already a major issue. My group played for 8 hours yesterday, and I guarantee 2 of those were spent just on setting up, tearing down, organizing, fishing for components, setting up decks, etc. We might not have gotten that third scenario in if we didn't have a chained mission. Some of these systems feel like they were made for a video game rather than something that people were meant to do by hand. Especially the loot deck, ugh, it's so much extra prep time for just a little bit of randomness when it comes to acquiring resources.

Once we get into a scenario, the game is great. Banner Spear and Boneshaper are both a lot of fun, and I'm excited to try everything else out too. Events have been significantly better than Gloomhaven so far. Struggling to think of praise for this game that isn't just "yup, it's more Gloomhaven".

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So my advice - the outpost phase gets much faster as you learn the steps.

Also if you're interested in app support, every FH app now (X-haven is a great free one) handles the loot deck for you. :)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Highly recommend Xhaven too. As much as I enjoy Frosthaven, I'd never play it without an app.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Made it through another 3 scenarios this weekend, thoughts:

scenario 2/4

My group ended up killing the snowflake boss despite what the story is pushing you to do because it was so much easier to get to her plus we actually wanted a tanky melee class more anyway. I don’t know if that was a mistake or not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Servoret posted:

My group ended up killing the snowflake boss despite what the story is pushing you to do because it was so much easier to get to her plus we actually wanted a tanky melee class more anyway. I don’t know if that was a mistake or not.
Nah.

Without spoiling anything - you will eventually unlock all 17 classes.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Aside from price, are there any other pros/cons between the “official” Frosthaven app and X-haven?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pryce posted:

Aside from price, are there any other pros/cons between the “official” Frosthaven app and X-haven?
The official app is buggy af right now.

I expect it'll get there eventually but as of today's update, they fixed the "doesn't properly display shield values" bug but introduced a brand new "monster decks only have 7 cards and also some loot cards are missing" bug.

On the other hand, despite the app being free, the X-haven dev is super responsive and chill.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We got Frosthaven to the table finally. We won't be able to play again for another month or so, so we hit it hard and knocked out 7 or 8 scenarios over three days. We ran drifter, boneshaper and banner spear. I'd leaned towards geminate up until the week of but was pushing for Team BS as a joke. My friends ended up painting banner spear for me and did a great job so I had to pick her. They really wanted support/tanking and had no idea what the twin bugs could do.

The foreteller narration is amazing! It's my first time with the narration and I wasn't expecting voice actors and professional sound effects. We used x-haven assistant which had some quirks but worked well.

No plot or locked class spoilers but there are descriptions of some early scenarios.
We did the first arc and stuck with siding with snowflake which was a challenge since she was between us, our pets, and the other guy. We started one with some temporarily invincible zombies a bit late so our drifter was in zen half asleep mode and still managed to carry the scenario.

We had to replay #14. We were going to consign it to oozing grove hell and come back for it later with more power but our drifter managed to get out ahead of the infinite spawns and survived in the spot for almost enough turns so we did it again and beat the scenario with her the only one alive on 1 hp with no more cards to lose.

Similarly we did one with bombs and ice pillars where we killed 5 of the 7 objectives. At the end when we were all on our last cards the drifter was 1 movement short of the final pillar. She had weathered so much bullshit holding down the top part of the map that game that we said we'd give it to her if the other pillar worked out so we had her do her suicide run to blow up the pillar since no enemies were around it. My banner spear, who likes drawing a curse every other swing and ate a ton of cursing fairy attacks, then got a +2 on the second to last pillar and the final boneshaper skeleton managed to destroy it. After I went down the basic skeleton survived two fairy attacks before dropping leaving the boneshaper just enough cards to survive the wolves and end the turn holding on by a thread. So there's an asterisk by that win but we're taking it.

Then our boneshaper picks the scenario for the path he really wants to see.. and its an escape from the exact same enemies. Polar bears, snow imps and wolves. So we ended the weekend with that, seemed appropriate and thematic.

Locked class unlocking and personal quest progress commentary.

We got snowflake, trap (is he really supposed to unlock at level 1 hunting lodge? It's on the card anyway), and coral. I really wanted kelp but got outvoted and couldn't spoil the other two on my reasoning since boneshaper didn't even want to hear anything about our unlocked three until someone picks them to play. Our drifter loves her character but also wants to paint and play snowflake and coral. She's 1 boat/climbing gear/sled mission into hers. Boneshaper wants to make an aesther lodge and I forced us to do the first required mission to get the calendar running to keep his options open since it is time gated. Finally my banner spear is about halfway to earning 150 card exp since I have 2 players and a ton of pets to position off of. That slowed down as the scenarios got harder though.

Now to sit on my hands until we're all free to play again. I've got the box so I may take geminate and deathwalker for a spin, hopefully Crimson Scales shows up soon so I can switch to that to get my fix.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 6, 2023

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

My biggest concern with Frosthaven going in was that there was going to be a lot of extra book keeping without much payoff, and so far I've been right on that. I get that this early into the campaign we're still setting up for things that will payoff later, but Frosthaven has added a ton of setup and in-between game time to a system where that was already a major issue. My group played for 8 hours yesterday, and I guarantee 2 of those were spent just on setting up, tearing down, organizing, fishing for components, setting up decks, etc. We might not have gotten that third scenario in if we didn't have a chained mission. Some of these systems feel like they were made for a video game rather than something that people were meant to do by hand. Especially the loot deck, ugh, it's so much extra prep time for just a little bit of randomness when it comes to acquiring resources.

Yeah, as someone who played through most of Gloomhaven and JOTL solo, I feel like the amount of mental overhead in Frosthaven is vastly increased. It’s exhausting in a way I never found Gloomhaven/JOTL to be.

I’m using x-haven to minimize the bookkeeping, and so far I’ve mostly ignored anything but bare minimum in the outpost phase. I’m thinking maybe I need to swap out the Deathwalker for someone that doesn’t require so much planning.

Also I’ll be damned if I can tell the difference between most of the overlay tiles as pictured in the scenario book. A bunch of blue or brown smudges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

We got Frosthaven to the table finally. We won't be able to play again for another month or so, so we hit it hard and knocked out 7 or 8 scenarios over three days. We ran drifter, boneshaper and banner spear. I'd leaned towards geminate up until the week of but was pushing for Team BS as a joke. My friends ended up painting banner spear for me and did a great job so I had to pick her. They really wanted support/tanking and had no idea what the twin bugs could do.

The foreteller narration is amazing! It's my first time with the narration and I wasn't expecting voice actors and professional sound effects. We used x-haven assistant which had some quirks but worked well.

No plot or locked class spoilers but there are descriptions of some early scenarios.
We did the first arc and stuck with siding with snowflake which was a challenge since she was between us, our pets, and the other guy. We started one with some temporarily invincible zombies a bit late so our drifter was in zen half asleep mode and still managed to carry the scenario.

We had to replay #14. We were going to consign it to oozing grove hell and come back for it later with more power but our drifter managed to get out ahead of the infinite spawns and survived in the spot for almost enough turns so we did it again and beat the scenario with her the only one alive on 1 hp with no more cards to lose.

Similarly we did one with bombs and ice pillars where we killed 5 of the 7 objectives. At the end when we were all on our last cards the drifter was 1 movement short of the final pillar. She had weathered so much bullshit holding down the top part of the map that game that we said we'd give it to her if the other pillar worked out so we had her do her suicide run to blow up the pillar since no enemies were around it. My banner spear, who likes drawing a curse every other swing and ate a ton of cursing fairy attacks, then got a +2 on the second to last pillar and the final boneshaper skeleton managed to destroy it. After I went down the basic skeleton survived two fairy attacks before dropping leaving the boneshaper just enough cards to survive the wolves and end the turn holding on by a thread. So there's an asterisk by that win but we're taking it.

Then our boneshaper picks the scenario for the path he really wants to see.. and its an escape from the exact same enemies. Polar bears, snow imps and wolves. So we ended the weekend with that, seemed appropriate and thematic.

Locked class unlocking and personal quest progress commentary.

We got snowflake, trap (is he really supposed to unlock at level 1 hunting lodge? It's on the card anyway), and coral. I really wanted kelp but got outvoted and couldn't spoil the other two on my reasoning since boneshaper didn't even want to hear anything about our unlocked three until someone picks them to play.

Now to sit on my hands until we're all free to play again. I've got the box so I may take geminate and deathwalker for a spin, hopefully Crimson Scales shows up soon so I can switch to that to get my fix.
Heya! Yep, that is intended.

For a 4p group it's important to have 2 characters available right away, so if all four retire, nobody needs to replay a character.