Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cause I was pulling a random number out of the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are we some kind of freaks? I admit we've been optimizing ramping up the prosperity pretty quick, but we're up to 6, just shy of 7. At this point we're actually debating if we should go higher since we're all starting so high leveled.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and on how much you donate.

Some of my group do that so much when we had sun and music note we had to ask them to stop because they were taking all the blessing cards so we couldn't use them in play.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the Tinkerer is a male quatryl.

Is he? I also thought he was a woman, but I never read his card cause that player was all the way on the other side of the table.

I do like that even though it doesn't really "matter" to the game (let's be honest, it's all just fluff ; cool fluff, but fluff), that the game goes out of its way to be almost entirely non-human and at least one of the non-human species doesn't have a gender distinction. It's actually being fantastical instead of More loving Elves and Dwarves with Scottish Accents. Not exactly super innovative, but pretty drat good and I'm happy about it.

Harrowers probably also don't have a gender identity, I guess? I don't know much about the sociology of sentient insect swarms.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Holy hot drat can a 9th level Scoundrel pump out some damage. It took getting a lucky crit but I did 54 damage with one attack.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cinara posted:

I tend to agree, though I have been enjoying - similar PQ spoiler - The lightning bolts PQ to exhaust 12 times. It's not really a "good" PQ, and I will be very glad when it's over. But spending every scenario trying to game my HP so I can exhaust on the last round of the scenario has been fun. Walking over traps(sometimes my own), short resting just to lose HP, refusing aoe heals while sitting at single digit hp. It's been a very unique experience.

Similar experience, although I might be much more positive than you. What class are you playing? I'm doing it with a scoundrel and it's been a whole lot of fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cinara posted:

Angry Face, which has actually made it extremely easy.

Being in the backline with huge range means I almost never get hit unless I choose to. Combined with being able to create traps myself to do a few self damage at the end of the scenario means I have only failed to exhaust 1 time in the past 11 scenarios

Okay that makes sense, with the scoundrel it's lead to this cool play-style where I want to just nova loss cards in the last couple of rounds and go out in a blaze of glory, which has been super satisfying.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So I just started lightning bolt for the first time today and well uh I come out of the gate swinging with a card that does my hp in damage to a monster but sets me to one hp, juice my boots of striding to get up to an elite night demon at 21 hp and ring of haste to play another card to make myself immune to damage. I felt so absolutely loving cool. Gonna one shot an elite with a brand new class 8AM, first day and look super impressive.

Of course I drew a god drat null mod and ended up just standing there with my dick in my hand.

That has certainly been my most peak-Gloomhaven moment so far.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I stand by my totally homebrewed alphabetized accordion-folder system I made up. It ain’t pretty but it cost only like 15$ and a few hours of my time, and since it’s just the alphabet I can tell somebody, “Hey can you get the stone doors, the Dire Weasels and maptile M1b out?” And they actually can understand me, massively helping set up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Everything is alphabetized in little baggies exactly as written. So Flame Weasel is “f” and Eldritch Ferret is “e”.

We do Gloomhaven Helper so we never touch the cards.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm gonna keep using fake names for anything that's not like, a door, or whatever.

The system is basically that I pulled up the master list of all the terrain tiles and monsters, then put them in individual little baggies that are then in the accordion folder alphabetized. So, Night Monkeys (all together in a label bag), Nests (all together in a labeled bag) and maptile N5q all live together in the "n" folder.

It's certainly not perfect, but it has the big advantage that one person can basically just shout requests for stuff while looking at the book and assembling things, while 1 or 2 other people pull them out and hand them over. On a good run before we start drinking/cooking we can get a 3 room scenario up in less than 10 minutes, counting putting stuff in the app.

There's like 4 things per folder so it's not daunting. (Unless someone leaves a single Fell Chipmunk out that fell on the floor and I discover it after I put everything away. That hurts, but I think that's just part of the game.)

Edit I should add that some of the the terrain tiles straight up don't work with this since they aren't uniformly or even sensibly picked out on what's the front and the back, so those live in a last few baggies in the back, but those are much, much smaller and are actually something a human can stare at and pull out 5 bushes without dumping them all out and sorting through them. If anyone has a solution for that, I'm all ears. I just sorted them by single, double and triple hexes and that gets it down to something reasonable at least.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 30, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I guess nominally sun spoilers but I'm not even talking cards it's trivial to make a sun who has such high shield and retaliate that you basically are just a walking harm to enemies. On mine I eventually started feeling vaguely guilty, because my attacks were doing less damage then just letting the monsters hit me for damage that I just forgot about. If you made me run solo I'd use sun cause it's just a walking black hole that takes in damage and puts out yet more damage. "What? Three monsters killed themselves on me? I didn't notice. I was getting another beer."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You haven't lived until you get an enemy that pulls a double attack card and you just laugh because sure keep hitting me and killing yourself, idiot. I once plopped myself in with some rending drakes and didn't even need to attack them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you want to straight up just be That Guy while playing sun just get that shield that gives shield and retaliate, because obviously you needed more of those. If you could double up on items, it'd be insane.

I stand by the idea that as someone playing sun you should be bored on your turn because everything killed itself attacking you. It's like roleplaying as anti-matter. Love that loving class so much.

Also are there actually rocket boots or...?

Feel free to give me advice on lightning bolt too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Well I just unlocked Lightning Bolts with the Spellweaver, andwow she is quite different from the Spellweaver, at least on first glance through the cards. I probably have to get used to not having nice AOE/multi-target attacks for a while, or at least I think the Lightning Bolts does have some sort of AOE attacks. Any tips for using LB?

Same! I asked earlier and then got busy when people asked me what prosperity level we were at.

We're at prosperity 7 so we have poo poo-tons of items.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I guess this is spoilers in that it's a very vague description of my impression of the class? Gonna tag it anyway.

He's literally a broken combat monster.

Like infinite loops of pain. When I unlocked him I moved onto cragheart instead cause I knew I couldn't help but snap the game over my knee with that guy.

Also he's not really "support". He can do some, but he's also a serious monster in his own right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's the one class that I'd argue is straight up broken. (I'm assuming that this is vague enough to not be a spoiler, mostly cause it's something I really would've wanted to know in advance, but I'll happily spoil this too if asked.)

Example :

I play with my family, and we very carefully gave three spears to my elderly mother who (while lovely) is often frazzled by board game rules and isn't a native English speaker. She's adorable and frequently just loving goes rogue and forgets all our careful planning and is basically an aged agent of chaos. She still managed to break that loving class by remembering 6th grade math. While drunk. What someone with even an ounce of charop could do to that thing kind of terrifies me. There's probably a way to make it Turing Complete.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Holy crap, lightning bolt plus saw. :stare: Like I want a version of :stare: that is just coated in blood.

Once we got in synch it just turned into a blood-soaked horror show. The only problem is every couple of turns I'd turn to her and be like, "Hey, I need another heal soon, can you do that?" Her : "Jesus what do you keep doing with all that HP?" Me : "MURDER" Wow those classes work well together.

Also we literally just unpacked saw today ; am I correct in my read that with the medpacks it might actually be impossible for it to exhaust from card-loss? Like they literally can't go in the lost or the discard piles and just keep coming back to her hand so...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Eraflure posted:

So I ended up changing my Brute's "watch your friends exhaust" quest to 12 times instead of 15 per thread suggestion. After a few missions, one of my friends just told me to retire with the rest of the team because they couldn't be assed to suicide at the end of each mission. No complaints here, and I'll never pick any similar quest again.

Anyway, we unlocked saw, triangles and music note and the third guy decided to play a mindthief instead of triangle dude. He switched to sun later on and we just beat a certain scenario that gives you a lot of enhancement gold. Obviously, he upgraded a certain buff with a +1. Between my saw's booster shot and the music note's shield song (and retaliate song), he's sitting on 4 base armor, which seems completely absurd. We have very little damage, but I'm pretty sure we're about to up the difficulty anyway.

Saw thoughts: Really enjoying this class. Thought he would be a support/healer when I read up his lore, but I ended up building him as a melee fighter who just happens to heal a bit and give a few nice buffs. Maybe I secretly miss playing the Brute, but it really feels like the Sawbones is meant to get in there and AoE amputate bad dudes.

Anyway, halfway done with my quest to unlock the angry Bart Simpson face with a big nose. Guessing it's another melee hero, so I might pick up a mage next to shake things up a bit.

I thought I was being sufficiently vague but I wasn't so these are sun spoilers.

My dude. If those numbers on the sun seem ridiculous just you wait. I didn't even really optimize that hard and was only getting buffed a little bit by our music note at the end, and I had more digits on my numbers than that. Sun's numbers can get out-right egregious. Like so much shield and retaliate that you do more by letting things attack you than on your actual turn.

Sun is amazing a beautiful and I love it.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks! I have no idea why I couldn't find that.

Please spoiler the details about Sun. Thanks :)

Sorry! I thought I was being vague enough. It's now edited.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm forgetting the exact letter on the envelope I guess. I could have sworn it was B, but I did some googling and I think it was X.

The mindthief's personal quest was a vengeance thing which ended with a special mission, after which we opened an envelope that just contained a coded message that didn't really point us to anything else - "our name has 10 letters" - and we found that a bit of a letdown.

To give repeatedly gated spoilers so you can decide how much you want to be spoiled. Each spoiled bit gets more specific so anyone can peace out when they are at their desired level of spoiled. The word spoiled has now lost all meaning to me.

Envelope X is a puzzle.

Specifically, it's a really loving bad puzzle

That involves 90's Sierra adventure game levels of pixel-bitching

And also has a typo so it's not really solvable

Finally it's just another class that you had to jump through a lot of hoops to get and now you have to print it out and it doesn't have a mini so it'll look lovely next to everything else.

I'm not a fan of Envelope X and very glad I spoiled it for myself, but you do whatever makes you happiest. PS spoiled spoiled spoiler spoiled.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

We recently opened envelope X and I'm glad I read some of the previous spoilers ITT especially because of this part.

The fact that it wasn't corrected in 2nd printing and there's not like big flashing letters everywhere gloomhaven is discussed saying "READ THIS ERRATA AFTER OPENING ENVELOPE X" is infuriating and baffling to me. We were sitting on that clue for 3 months and just kept going "well I guess we might get more info at some point..."

That's good at least

I'm very, very glad I don't really care about spoilers and just googled it. I would not have liked doing it legitimately. People who like that kind of thing, hey, go to god drat town, do what you want. But I wish there was just a big sticker saying "BULLSHIT" on it for the rest of us.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

My group has multiple PhD's and one in mathematics and we thought the puzzle was dumb as poo poo. We like puzzles. This one just sucks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

If you see traps in a room and aren't like "yay, traps!" then you're playing wrong cause knocking things into traps is the most enjoyable part of this game

the scoundrel is the worst starter class because of its ability to disarm traps

the craigheart is the best starter class because of how it can use obstacles as though they were traps (Sort of)

Counter point (I'm assuming this isn't a spoiler cause it's a base class and anyone could just grab it and look at this), but the scoundrel at like level 5-7 somewhere in there gets the ability to throw traps and it's amazing and hilarious.

Why yes my scoundrel did just pick up a damage-stun spike pit and throw it at a monster. No I don't know how it makes any sense but it's awesome!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I forget which scenario (no spoilers cause I don't remember it well enough to spoil if I even tried),but there was some shenanigans where we had to do just insane amounts of true damage to a bunch of monsters. I don't think they had a high shield, I think it was something else. Anyway it was in this room just teeming with traps and the three spears just kept handing me back that card every round so, well, I kept playing it. It was just this absolutely absurd thing where we were all cracking up it just turned into me hucking 9 damage traps around because it seemed like the best way at the time.

I don't know if we actually did it right, but it was amazing at the time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

First game tonight running Saw instead of Sun.

I am really looking forward to it, but ... I am extremely worried that playing Sun for the past 15-20 games or so has completely erased any capacity for self-preservation in both me and my allies.

I went straight from sun to a scoundrel with the PQ to exhaust 12 times.

It uh. Was a transition.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's actually kind of a shame about that quest that it unlocks lightning bolt, because can you imagine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drakes : Not even once. They're the worst

Evidence : check out the LP thread and how I'm flailing like a live octopus in a hot pan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

God can you imagine trying to do that with sun? You'd never retire.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Having completed that PQ recently in 2 different groups, it really isn't that hard with any class. You just have to plan it out. And it gets easier and more fun the more you do it.

I guess?

I just loved finishing scenarios as sun because I'd have been hit dozens of times and I'd still basically be at full health. Eventually it got a little boring and I felt OP as hell, but for a while in there it was invigorating to basically always be shouting IS THAT THE BEST YOU GOT COME ON AND FIGHT ME HIT ME HARDER ARGH!!!!!!!!! I HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY COMICAL SHIELD AND MY RETALIATE IS SOMEHOW HIGHER! HIT ME HARDER, WUSS!. And that just seems antithetical with that PQ.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O I know and I cheesed that with the scoundrel, but it goes against the hilarious power-fantasy that is playing the sun. I'm not arguing it's mechanically impossible, just that it's thematically unsatisfying.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I have a rules clarification about eclipse :

So the card Concealed Dominance, am I wrong in my reading that this lets the eclipse literally just teleport anywhere on the map as long as they aren't going through a closed door?

Cause if so that is off the loving chain. . I don't even know if it's unbalanced but it's god drat intense. We just unlocked it and that class looks god drat crazy. Between it and lightning bolt and saw, we might be a little broken.

Also we tried the random scenario generator thing for the first time today and were actually super impressed? We all had very low expectations but it ended up being a super fun scenario. Plus we made a weird house-rule that the person who opens a new room is the one who picks a card so you can blame them and make jokes when they pull something full of really bad monsters. (Looking straight at you, sister who picked a room entirely full of snakes and oozes.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You did not just knock sun in front of me. That class is so god drat fun.

I’ve got a million shields and even more retaliate! And that’s what I do not in my actual turn, that’s when I hand out giant buffs and attack 5s!

One time I just parked myself in a doorway and defended the whole party from most of the rest of the dungeon. It was great.

God drat love that class.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well now we know what the Gloomhaven version of the God Mode cheat is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why are there level 9 cards that give you XP? What's the point of that?

Also my sister started a Diviner yesterday and... Holy poo poo. It was just 2+ hours of the whole table looking at her and going, "You can do that?!?!?!?"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wait wait.

You can't use elements on the round you generate them?

gently caress we've been getting that wrong for like a solid year.

Also we just started Forgotten Circles, so no real spoilers cause we've played exactly one scenario, but that first scenario is really cool and fun. Kind of hurt our brains a bit with the geometry, and that's with 3 math nerds in the group. With how the portals work with adjacency it leads to some non-Euclidean spaces that we immediately started having to mess with because c'mon how many games let you deal with non-Euclidean space. Also there might have been some protracted debates about how dimensions work that the one non-math geek was super bored by. Really liked it a lot and looking forward to more. The Diviner continues to rock.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

I'm thinking about getting this for my deployment, anything I should know? Should I get a setup thingie? We'd probably be playing two days a week 4-8 hours each time.

My homebrew system of an alphabetized accordion-folder with the terrain-tiles and most of the bits in little baggies (e.g. "stone doors" are under "s", terrain tile M2 is under "m", "dire weasels" are in a little bag under "w", etc.) cost us like 20$ total and a couple hours of my time (which was spent listening to podcasts and drinking beer so not a problem), and it's worked amazing.

Once the rest of the people got the system, set-up time is getting into the single-digit minutes. Someone reads out what we need for the scenario, someone else pulls them out of the folders, another person starts putting them together and one person sets up the scenario in the app. I've been half-assed timing it and I think our record would be like 3-4 minutes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

We unlocked Sun last weekend, and one of us is going to start playing as them next. Any basic tips they should know? The team will be them, Music Not and Brute.

Just take anything that adds Shield or Retaliate and giggle maniacally.

By like level 7 or something and with some buffs from Music Note, I had both in the teens basically permanently. It's insane and hilarious.

The only downside is it totally obviates any strategizing about how to breech doors cause the answer is always "have the Sun toddle into there and let everything destroy themselves on her". Except in a couple scenarios where you're being chased by stuff and the answer might theoretically be "have the Sun block the door with her body like some kind of murderous bathtub plug."

I just love how it turned Rending Drakes from this thing everyone was afraid of cause of those like triple attack 6+ cards, into pure Schadenfreude cause the answer was for me to just walk in and let them turn themselves into chunky salsa on my Shield 14/Retaliate 12 or whatever.

Such a fun god drat class.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Our Sun, Triangles, Tinkerer, Mindthief group is going to have some issues with shield, but nothing we can't brute force or have the Triangles buy the piercing bow to help out.

As much as I liked the spellweaver I felt like there was really one way to play it well (Cold Fire), wheras with Suns I'm seeing at least two clear paths tank/damage or support/damage. Which has me staring at all the cards I can stick in my hand way more than I did with the Spellweaver. I will miss refreshing ether though, especially since I saved for the any element enhancement for the bottom.

My child. Look into your heart. You know what the true answer is.

This is the one true path, my child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We did a giant session today and somehow managed to do 4 scenarios in 5 hours, mostly by being the luckiest sons of bitches in the world.

(I'm not spoiler tagging any stuff cause I'm not talking about any of our actual characters or the scenarios themselves.)

Like we had a boss fight where all the high-damage classes just popped next to the boss, novaing and getting crits. That scenario was over before the second round. We were absolutely gob-smacked by how much we managed to wreck that fight. And somehow that streak of luck just kept going. We were just turning all of the enemies into red mist and laughing hysterically.

It helps that we're eclipse, lightning bolt, three spears and diviner at prosperity 7, which I know is pretty drat broken. And we still just got really lucky. But a game as difficult as Gloomhaven suddenly being easy was hilarious and amazing.

Also a big attack with a lightning bolt critting is just hilarious. The whole table was just like :stare: "That's uh a very large number." Of course it was on some tiny piddly enemy so it was massively over-kill, too.

Anyway, did you guys know that this Gloomhaven game is pretty good and fun?