Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poo poo show for idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Can you believe they made an episode where Dwight leaves Dunder Mifflin and they didnt call it Dwight Errant?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The British version of the office is fine and all but anyone who says it's better than the US version either didn't watch the US version past season 1 (which was a bad version of the British version) or they are just being contrarian.

Also annoying is that while American shows may be run into the ground, I will take that over "hmm. 12 episodes. That's enough, let's never make any more, ever, and definitely don't give the show enough time to fall into it's groove."

Actually, I like the British version better because...I like it better.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
actually every iteration of the Office is a bad show made for the lowest common denominator

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Best episode is the dinner party in s4 where michael and jan melt down and start making GBS threads all over eachother. And theres a little bonus where its heavily implied that Jan took the virginity of her receptionist Hunter.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

rewatched it recently and looking back from middle age jim is not a normie but a self-interested, ineffectual rear end in a top hat with an undeserved sense of worth. nothing he does for others is out of genuine empathy but just because it's important to his self-image that he be comparatively more empathetic than others

thematically it's supposed to be "the office is turning jim into as much of a weirdo as everyone else", but on rewatch it's just that he's the worst of all of them. more concisely:

Code Jockey posted:

in retrospect, jim was an insufferable twat and charles miner did nothing wrong

michael scotts stuff is still among the best tv comedy. andy is still the low point. i hated robert cali when it aired but found him a decent part of those otherwise bland seasons this time

parks & rec is ok but not same tier. community's best exceeds p&r but it stumbles often. in any case tonally community fits better with scrubs than office/p&r

thanks imdb boards for listening to my serious opinions about the media equivalent of what the specialty whopper of the month was at bk in 2007

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Best episode is the dinner party in s4 where michael and jan melt down and start making GBS threads all over eachother. And theres a little bonus where its heavily implied that Jan took the virginity of her receptionist Hunter.

That one night!
one night
You made everything allriiiiiiight

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ziggy Smalls posted:

SNIP SNAP
SNIP SNAP
SNIP SNAP

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of good cutoff points for shows, please do not watch any episode of House after the two-parter where he enters and leaves the rehab facility. That is imo the last truly great episode and then it just drives straight off a cliff and explodes spectacularly at the bottom because the writers had no idea where to go from there.

edit: Like, they clearly wanted to go the "House is slowly becoming an actually good person" route... and then they don't just walk back on it, they loving sprint back on it the instant he leaves that clinic and it's such a shame.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

The way the other characters react to Michael Scott is a lot funnier than the Michael Scott in and of himself.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I appreciate Robert California a lot more after seeing James Spader in Blacklist, and I like to think Robert California was just an alias used by Reddington while he established his paper company business

naem
May 29, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bears, beets, battlestar galactica

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

what bear is best

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Veshpo posted:

The way the other characters react to Michael Scott is a lot funnier than the Michael Scott in and of himself.

That's how a good ensemble works. Michael Scott isn't a funny character in isolation - Michael Scott is a funny character in relation to all the other characters around him.

Steve Carell was the perfect choice to play him, though.

You should try watching the Finnish version of The Office. They sapped all the joy and energy out of it, and not in a gloomy brilliant way like the original British version.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like the office and im using this to segue in to saying how much i hate parks and rec's ron swanson because he's like dwight except for some reason everyone on the show doesn't hate him

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Arthe Xavier posted:

That's how a good ensemble works. Michael Scott isn't a funny character in isolation - Michael Scott is a funny character in relation to all the other characters around him.

Steve Carell was the perfect choice to play him, though.

You should try watching the Finnish version of The Office. They sapped all the joy and energy out of it, and not in a gloomy brilliant way like the original British version.

Naw, Michael Scott's funny in isolation too. You don't need anybody reacting to him to laugh at "Abraham Lincoln once said that 'If you're a racist, I will attack you with the North,' and these are the principles I carry with me in the workplace."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The dinner party episode and the one where Dwight gets a concussion are pretty great.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Parks & Rec's mid-series foray into politics is embarrassingly bad and something nobody asked for

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Homestar Runner posted:

Parks & Rec's mid-series foray into politics is embarrassingly bad and something nobody asked for
If you mean Season 4, when Leslie runs for city council, that's a great season. Seasons 2-4 are gold. 5 and 6 spin their wheels pretty bad. 7 is great again.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you mean Season 4, when Leslie runs for city council, that's a great season. Seasons 2-4 are gold. 5 and 6 spin their wheels pretty bad. 7 is great again.

Yeah when she's running its pretty entertaining but that whole season where she's legislating and she has that battle with Paunch Burger has a less hopeful tone compared to the previous seasons. I usually skip that season when I re-watch the series.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like when Jim looks at the camera as if to say "can you believe I work here" lol classic

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Steve Carrell is so incredible

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

what bear is best

That's a ridiculous question. There's basically two schools of thought....

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

parks and rec was only good season one where it was a story about a woman getting crushed to death by life and bureaucracy "yes, minister" style. it was satirical and incisive, at times brutal indictment of that structure.

but the viewers who find themselves trapped in those structures complained that she wasn't a 'good role model' so they just turned our tragic hero into the world's most bland, most boring superhero overnight whose entire message is to reinforce, justify and pacify us to the worst aspects of society

the idea that one woman can overcome the nature of society if she's just spunky enough isn't just masturbatory, its putting dehumanisation its victims. why does your job feel pointless and every effort totally wasted? it's not because the system has inherent flaws and requires major rebuilding, it's because you just don't have enough grit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Yeah when she's running its pretty entertaining but that whole season where she's legislating and she has that battle with Paunch Burger has a less hopeful tone compared to the previous seasons. I usually skip that season when I re-watch the series.
Yeah, 5 was especially a mess because NBC kept loving with the episode order.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I almost gave up watching Parks and Rec after season 5 and 6, but figured I'd just ride the series out. I can't express how much charm I think the show lost in those seasons. That's also where it started getting less minor ribbing on Jerry and more outright hostility and Andy became a flat out cartoon character.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The worst part of Parks and Rec is Chris Pratt.

Oh he's just such a cute loveable doofus, lollers!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I almost gave up watching Parks and Rec after season 5 and 6, but figured I'd just ride the series out. I can't express how much charm I think the show lost in those seasons. That's also where it started getting less minor ribbing on Jerry and more outright hostility and Andy became a flat out cartoon character.
Watch Season 7. It has one of the best episodes in the entire series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh I finished it out. Season 7 and the future gimmick worked really well. Best joke was giving Leslie a commemorative library and her putting on a big forced smile and mumbling "a loving library" because she hates them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
in the episode where michael talks about jan making him get & reverse multiple vasectomies, I don't know how melora hardin didn't lose her poo poo at the SNIP SNAP SNIP SNAP SNIP SNAP line

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was depressed for a pretty long time and The Office was pretty much the only thing keeping me together. I must have rewatched the entire thing about seven times. Now I don't watch it so much anymore but I'm thankful for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People hate on Ed Helms but this is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGKs87TXlM

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Huh season 6 of parks and rec was so bad I never bothered with 7, guess I should check it out

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Haha oh that Dwight, at it again

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Huh season 6 of parks and rec was so bad I never bothered with 7, guess I should check it out

There's some clunkers in there, but overall it's pretty good. The finale is pretty good too. Except for Tom. They really just kinda phoned it in for him.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the 'im not superstitious just a little bit stitious' joke is too good to have originated in the year 2008 or whatever, did someone else use it first?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I'm on S04E04 ("Launch Party"). Is this where it goes off the rails? It feels like it's going off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

that dress is ugly and those shoes are ugly

aubrey plaza is very pretty, however

edit: she also looks like she's trying to covertly sniff her armpit in this picture

• Locked thread