Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

kiimo posted:

This class is very good but the top is so strong that many might wait until next year which looks bad. The end effect may be that both classes average out.

Next year looks like a bad year to have a top pick though. People are going to go gaga for Zion Williamson dunks (they already are) but good luck with a 6-6 Big. I think I’d rather draft Nassir Little based on that game

I've had a feeling that Zion Williamson is going to be Anthony Bennett 2.0. How many high school seniors that weigh 260-280 end up staying that weight or getting smaller? My gut just says that his one year of college basketball will be the best basketball he ever plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm hoping the strength at the top of this year's class and relative weakness (at least right now) of next year's means Jontay Porter comes back to hone his game and maybe move up to a lottery pick instead of late 1st rounder/2nd rounder.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/TomKCTV5/status/979737617582428160?s=19

We were so close to getting out of this without Sister Jean being milkshake ducked.

(This is not that bad in the grand scheme of things a very old nun could say but "college sports are good BECAUSE of the exploitation" is still not super great)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 30, 2018

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

kiimo posted:

This class is very good but the top is so strong that many might wait until next year which looks bad. The end effect may be that both classes average out.

I'm not sure if a few draft slots really make a difference, particularly given the (still existent) injury risk. The end game is to position yourself for a big non-rookie contract. That, in turn, probably hinges more on playing time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A junior 6'4" forward who just barely cracked double digit points for the first time in his career is extremely unlikely to get drafted so unless he wants to go make money in Europe right away he's probably coming back

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Bol bol is gonna be a superstar

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mike_V posted:

I'm hoping the strength at the top of this year's class and relative weakness (at least right now) of next year's means Jontay Porter comes back to hone his game and maybe move up to a lottery pick instead of late 1st rounder/2nd rounder.

Same for Udoka

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

kiimo posted:

Next year looks like a bad year to have a top pick though. People are going to go gaga for Zion Williamson dunks (they already are) but good luck with a 6-6 Big. I think I’d rather draft Nassir Little based on that game

Jesus this dude has a 7'1 wingspan. Toss up between Reddish and him next year then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I assume you mean “to start at the 3 for Duke”

Jk Zion will be the 4. I don’t understand why he signed with Duke. He seems like a perfect fit for Kentucky. Duke has 3 top 3 SF in this class. It’s bizarre and I don’t know if they can make that work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Duke has had lots of success with undersized 4s recently, look at Winslow or even Jabari

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

Same for Udoka

Depends how much whoever's in his ear tells him how much his free throw shooting is going to effect his draft stock. I don't have my hopes up.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is their a topic for the Women's stuff

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

UNT wins the CBI

:toot:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
“The most important part about both of today’s Final Four games is that these results somehow also invalidate women’s basketball as a sport,” comments male sportswriters everywhere.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone think anything even approaching that, or are you projecting opinions to feel superior? Looks like two very good teams beat two very good teams.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Is their a topic for the Women's stuff

Not that I'm aware of. :justpost:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

pubic works project posted:

No because he's a big piece of poo poo.

I just think it's a really classless thing to do. Holtmann didn't do it when he left Butler for OSU (one ended up following him anyways).

"look, its incredibly classless to call kids you've recruited at a school to go to your new school. yeah, the guy at my school, Holtmann? he didn't do it. he's got class. one kid randomly somehow ended up asking out of the letter of intent and following him, and let me tell you, Holtmann did NOT call or recruit him. that kid just followed him like a lost puppy. because Holtmann has class. but this new guy? yeah he sucks, gently caress him, but my guy? my guy has class."

can not stop lollin'

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
My hot take is that players commit to the coaching staff as much as the school quite often, and therefore not telling the player you were likely going somewhere else and want them to come with you would be less ethical than doing so

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I would extend that and say almost always a player is choosing a coach and not a school

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Barring some familial connection to a college, players are definitely picking a school for the coach.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I am so pumped for Loyola to beat that wolverine rear end today

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Honestly Alford getting UCLA a top 5 recruiting class and then leaving before he can squander it would probably be the best thing he could do for that team.

With every single obstacle removed from his path except for a less-talented (depending on how quickly Bol Bol catches on) Oregon, though, it almost seems impossible for UCLA to not win the Pac-12 this year. Is that enough to keep him his job? Or is the Pac so down now (looking to be more down next year) that it isn't good enough to win it?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Honestly Alford getting UCLA a top 5 recruiting class and then leaving before he can squander it would probably be the best thing he could do for that team.

With every single obstacle removed from his path except for a less-talented (depending on how quickly Bol Bol catches on) Oregon, though, it almost seems impossible for UCLA to not win the Pac-12 this year. Is that enough to keep him his job? Or is the Pac so down now (looking to be more down next year) that it isn't good enough to win it?

It'd probably depend on the tournament. Another first round flame out would put him on thin ice at the very least. He also has a history of bailing early so he can avoid having to say he got fired.

Xavier is about as good a job as you can find at that level too, they haven't actually fired a coach in like 30 years. Of course that also means they can probably do way better than Alford.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

big surprise that a group of michigan men ruined everyone's good time

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Whew, Nova made it rain tonight

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Whew, Nova made it rain tonight

kiimo posted:

I don't believe in jinxes I believe in perimeter defense.

I feel like in the end, this was a jinx.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I stole this from twitter, but John Beilein's response to starters playing poorly in a final 4 game was this

and these lineups turned a big deficit into a win

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

I don't believe in jinxes I believe in perimeter defense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/reddusfoximus/status/980310102484889600

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmao god drat

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I want to believe that Michigan's defense will slow down the inevitable mollywhopping but it's gonna take the A&M game-level shooting from them to pull it off

Also that version of the team basically does not exist this year

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kansas getting beat badly by nova was extremely predictable

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Metapod posted:

Kansas getting beat badly by nova was extremely predictable

and extremely awesome

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
How do you not foul there? How?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Little Kielbasa posted:

How do you not foul there? How?

I have no clue but moon shot 3s to win the game are awesome.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Tony Carr is hiring an agent, he won't be back at Penn State next year. Big, big loss for them.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_basketball/article_2c0cbeb0-36a6-11e8-ad34-e7a9e4d14161.html

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PotatoJudge posted:

Tony Carr is hiring an agent, he won't be back at Penn State next year. Big, big loss for them.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_basketball/article_2c0cbeb0-36a6-11e8-ad34-e7a9e4d14161.html

gently caress

this sucks

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Good for him, going out a champion

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

PotatoJudge posted:

Maybe could've worked his way up to a lottery pick or close to it next year, and it fucks the program over for next year ensuring we never see any kind of legitimate success or the end of Pat Chambers

I hate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tony carr has a sweet mustache and a casual jumper that he just sort of flips up and never misses and i'm glad i don't have to watch him just completely roast our lovely Zone Defense

• Locked thread