Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kansas losing twice in one week at home is just a feint to make us all think that maybe this is the year someone beats them out for the Big 12 title. They're still going to win it comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Outside the Lines on Louisville's athletic department, and how it grew over the last 20 years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Even though Arizona is winning again they still really seem to be a mess.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Jurich is such a prick, goddamn.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is incredible

quote:

Out of 125 FBS schools required to report financial data to the U.S. Department of Education, Louisville is the only one that derives more than half of its men's sports revenue from basketball, says Jonathan Jensen, a sports marketing professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Much of that revenue comes from a $238 million taxpayer-funded arena, the KFC Yum Center, which opened downtown in 2010 and has become a heavy burden on taxpayers. The lease was negotiated by Jurich and the arena authority. Under the terms, taxpayer contributions make up 75 percent of the arena's operating income while Louisville gets to keep most of the revenue -- an arrangement that "blew our mind," says state auditor Mike Harmon, whose office examined the arena's finances. "It was like, 'This is ridiculous.' It's like co-signing the loan for a friend's home and then having to pay three-fourths of the mortgage."

Denis Frankenberger, a local businessman who has dissected the lease in minute detail, calls it "the biggest taxpayer scandal in the history of Louisville."

In the arena's first year, men's basketball revenue jumped 58 percent, from $25.9 million to $40.9 million, a trend that continued as the program became the richest in the country. Under the lease, Louisville keeps 88 percent of premium seat licensing, 97 percent of suite sales, all program revenue and half of concessions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How hosed are they right now?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Purdue has two losses and one of them is to Tennessee and they're ranked above us this is BULLSHIT

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Purdue has two losses and one of them is to Tennessee and they're ranked above us this is BULLSHIT

Don't worry, brother. Butler's gonna take care of all that. :smug:

No we're not. We're gonna lose.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

It won’t matter when we upset the Tarheels on Sunday

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol the Balls are cool again

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/940351020856733696

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

last year, chicago state hit a bunch of insanely awesome 30-foot threes to nearly upset northwestern. this year, they might get 'em, apparently sanjay lumpkin was the most important player in ncaa basketball since northwestern can't play defense without him.

whoops, cats held them to literally 8 points in the first half, won 96-31.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I've never seen it before and I might never see it again, so I'm doing happy dances about ESPN having ASU Men's Basketball at #1 in their power rankings:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21732416/college-basketball-power-rankings-arizona-state-makes-big-big-move-no-1

Go Devils!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

This is incredible

Unfortunately that quoted section is incorrect. The U.S. Department of Education data is notorious for being inaccurate because it doesn't break out subsidies for revenue. It's an accurate reflection of how dollars are spend, but is completely useless for the revenue equation. They don't care about that, the only purpose of the tool is to for Title IX compliance, and I hate it when journalists that instead of subpoenaing the NCAA revenue and expense reports that each program is required to file. Those actually give an accurate breakdown of the subsidy.

USA Today notably does this every year, although I don't think the post each specific program's report. Definitely individual newspapers often do this for their local teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kim Jong Il posted:

Unfortunately that quoted section is incorrect. The U.S. Department of Education data is notorious for being inaccurate because it doesn't break out subsidies for revenue. It's an accurate reflection of how dollars are spend, but is completely useless for the revenue equation. They don't care about that, the only purpose of the tool is to for Title IX compliance, and I hate it when journalists that instead of subpoenaing the NCAA revenue and expense reports that each program is required to file. Those actually give an accurate breakdown of the subsidy.

USA Today notably does this every year, although I don't think the post each specific program's report. Definitely individual newspapers often do this for their local teams.

I was mainly referring to the bits about the arena, or are those also inaccurate?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
A respected St. Louis doctor thinks MPJ will be back in January, although I am very doubtful of that

quote:

He’s treated the likes of Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, and he’s been in the field for 32 years. His name is Rick Lehman, and on Tuesday he piqued Missouri fans’ interest.

As part of a weekly segment on Frank Cusumano’s radio show on 590 AM in St. Louis, Lehman spoke about the injury status of Missouri men’s basketball’s star-studded freshman Michael Porter Jr.

“I think he’ll be back in the next four weeks, and that’s more than just a guess,” he said. [...]

“My belief is that he’ll be back six to eight weeks from the time of surgery pretty comfortably.”

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I was mainly referring to the bits about the arena, or are those also inaccurate?

No idea, that's just a pet peeve of mine because it leads to a lot of really stupid takes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Have we mentioned the Louisville is counter-suing Rick Pitino? Because Louisville is counter-suing Rick Pitino for potentially vacated tournament games and the money they'd apparently have to give back if that happens (I didn't know that was a thing).

quote:

Louisville would want Pitino to cover the money the university would lose from its appearances in the NCAA tournament from 2012-2015, WDRB’s Jason RIley reported after obtaining a copy of the lawsuit. The NCAA has ordered the university to return the money it received through conference revenue sharing, but the school is arguing that Pitino should cover it since he, “not the University, was the active wrongdoer.”

The university would also seek “any bonuses and other compensation wrongly paid” to Pitino for those tournament appearances, according to the WDRB report. Pitino reportedly earned a $425,000 bonus just in 2013 alone for winning the national championship.

:laugh:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
It also came out recently that Jurich and Pitino blocked the Hornets moving to Louisville in 2002 because their egos couldn't handle not being the big man in town.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Vol_Hoops/status/941464454918737920

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
That's a high arc.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

if NW is counting on shots like this saving them all year and getting them back into the tournament, I daresay they are going to be disappointed in 2018

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
So Indiana just lost to Fort Wayne again, this time in Bloomington :lol:

Bryson Scott goes 5-0 lifetime against the Hoosiers, 3 wins with Purdue and 2 with Fort Wayne lmao

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 19, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ColdBlooded posted:

So Indiana just lost to Fort Wayne again, this time in Bloomington :lol:

Bryson Scott goes 5-0 lifetime against the Hoosiers, 3 wins with Purdue and 2 with Fort Wayne lmao

Dane Fife battling serious mixed emotions

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I understand why Savannah State is playing Virginia, but Virginia really has no business playing Savannah State.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Our finals week games are always like this and I love them. Gives students an easy way to blow off steam

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Geno Auriemma's coaching record is now 1000–135 (.881)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Trae Young is nuts

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn won at Murray State, could be ranked going into SEC play, currently projected about 50/50 for the tournament and is maybe kinda good despite still not having Austin Wiley or Danjel Purifoy.

Purifoy is probably hosed but if Wiley doesn't dip out to like Turkey over winter break he might actually get cleared and that should push us into the 64 easy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Geno Auriemma's coaching record is now 1000–135 (.881)

Still has a few years before he catches Pat. I really hate it that she had to leave the game the way she did. I wish she could have gotten to 1100.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like people are comparing Trae Young to Curry because they are unsure who else to compare him to.

Curry averaged 3.7 assists and Young is currently averaging 10.2 assists.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

I feel like people are comparing Trae Young to Curry because they are unsure who else to compare him to.

Curry averaged 3.7 assists and Young is currently averaging 10.2 assists.

he's the natural evolution of curry

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wofford had never beaten a ranked team before tonight? I know they've been in the tourney a few times.

Oh I just looked it up, I guess they've only been D1 since 1995, so that makes it more understandable. Although still a little bit of a surprise to me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So SDSU knocked off Gonzaga.

This team hasn't had a signature win in years. I am happy,

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

pray your team doesn't face trae young, dude is just casually flipping up 35 footers how do you stop that

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not a surprise, LiAngelo's partners in crime are done for the season
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21850153/ucla-suspends-cody-riley-jalen-hill-rest-season-shoplifting-arrest-china

quote:

UCLA freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, who were suspended indefinitely along with LiAngelo Ball after being arrested for shoplifting in China just days before the Bruins' 2017-18 opener, will not play the remainder of the season.

"Since returning from China, they have done everything asked of them and continued to work hard in the classroom and in their own personal workouts," UCLA coach Steve Alford said in a statement Friday. "I've told our players all along that actions have consequences, and the season-long suspension shows how seriously we take their misconduct. Though they will not suit up for games or travel with the team, I look forward to their return after the Christmas holiday. I am confident that they will make significant contributions to the university moving forward."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

pray your team doesn't face trae young, dude is just casually flipping up 35 footers how do you stop that

His line so far this year is almost incomprehensible

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern basically has to go insane in Big Ten play to have a chance at the tournament, NIT most likely. Never play in Rosemont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern basically has to go insane in Big Ten play to have a chance at the tournament, NIT most likely. Never play in Rosemont.

awwww I'm so sorry for you, Bryant McIntosh

lol jk get hosed northwestern

• Locked thread