Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

He's been making noises about this but unless this hip thing is way worse than anyone's letting on and he ends up being out all year and needs to prove something by playing in college I just cannot imagine it happening.

They all pretend they’re going to stay another year at this point in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ColdBlooded posted:

How good is the average walk-on for a power conference team?

Like are they dudes who could regularly play in the MAC or Horizon League or whatever? Or are they guys who would struggle even playing for a MEAC or SWAC team? I know there's a range obviously, Baer for Iowa has turned into a contributor for them, Eifert for Purdue might play some minutes this year etc but it's something I've always been curious about.

Most of them are pretty bad and just practice bodies. It’s rare you get one who could be a legit D1 player even at a smaller conference. Usually unless it’s like their dream school or something guys will only walk on if they don’t have any other scholarship offers.

Baer could definitely start for a lot of even major conference schools but Iowa got really lucky with him. In high school he was a late bloomer and because it’s Iowa and he was the tallest guy on the team, he also played center and never shot the ball outside of the paint. He was a good player his senior year but there wasn’t any scholarship interest in a 6’5” or 6’6” skinny center, even from somewhere like Drake or UNI (he might have had a DII offer but I don’t think so). He was a pretty good athlete and he worked hard during his redshirt year to make himself a legit wing and a three point threat. Iowa never could have expected him to work out like he did, when Fran started talking about him being in the rotation as a redshirt freshman everyone rolled their eyes.

Connor McCaffrey is also walking on but that’s kind of a cheat. He was a Top 100 recruit and definitely could get a scholarship somewhere else if he wasn’t Fran’s son. He’ll probably get one at Iowa if anyone transfers at the end of the season.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 12, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

If UCLA doesn't take this opportunity to sever with BBB they are super dumb

This Ball sucks but the next one seems like he’ll probably be a good colllege player so presumably they want to hang on until this. They already hired Steve Alford to coach the team and he’s way more reprehensible than LaVar ball acting like a doofus has ever been

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Should've given them 5 years hard labor!

For ISU news, supposedly a couple of guys, Lard and Brase, are going to start this weekend, and that may turn around ISU's god awful start so far. We'll see. At this point .500 is looking optimistic.

ISU got screwed over with Hoiberg leaving really late into the offseason, there was pretty much a lost recruiting year. There's some CF fans already calling Prohm a fraud, and only winning with Hoiberg's players, which is premature to say the least. Fans are fickle.

This would be funny but yeah Prohm is recruiting well by ISU standards and this was always going to be a down year unless they pulled a Hoiberg and went all out on quick fix transfers who’d been thrown off their previous team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Allegedly he's the best Ball.

Nah, Lonzo’s the best one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Super excited for months of wall to wall coverage of a trump lavar ball fued over whether the least relevant ball brother was sufficiently grateful definitely not gonna go home and set my tv on fire

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Jayson Tatum and Seth Curry are both fun and cool!

Extremely nah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Creighton isn’t even a bad loss

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah haven't they been a fairly solid team for a pretty long time now?

They were generally either the best or second best program in the MVC and have been competitive since they moved to the Big East, yeah. They’re usually solidly in the tournament. They were really good last year before their PG got hurt and I think they’ll probably be a tournament team again this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 16, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao wake forest lost to drake, bulldogs bitch arf arf arf

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Is this a typical Drake team? Because if so, oof.

They hired a new coach who I think will be good by Drake standards eventually but yes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sharknado slashfic posted:

So, uh, Northwestern...

Lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa supports this opinion, lost to South Dakota St today

No a super great last four days of Iowa fandom.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

So the basketball version of Tommy John surgery

It’s way worse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Does he realistically fall much further than 5-6 if he's healthy post-surgery? I'm skeptical that it'd be worth waiting another year to get a second NBA contract, but I do want to believe there's a chance he comes back

It’s a loaded draft so maybe a little farther than that but he’d probably still go in the first round which is the big thing. In theory he could also control where he goes a bit by being picky about who gets medicals, if you want to spin something vaguely positive out of it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Here's an article about the Cayman Island Classic that Iowa is playing in. It compares the tournament to the Frye Festival debacle. The locker rooms are tents set up outside of the gym.

https://ohvarsity.com/lets-talk-about-the-dumpster-fire-that-is-the-cayman-island-classic-effbf991e56b

Christ our athletic department is so loving dumb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is so loving bad. I know they lost Jok who bailed them out a lot last year but they were good in conference play last year when he got hurt so I don’t get it. The roster is pretty poorly constructed with like 15 guys who should be power forwards but ugh.

There is already a fire Fran contingent of the fanbase somehow because we learn nothing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

So who's winning this game on Thursday? ISU hasn't really looked bad against any decent team, although they've been improving lately.

At this point I’d be stunned if it wasn’t y’all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Wisconsin sucks this year. About to go 4-7.

Really wish Iowa wasn’t loving awful so I could properly enjoy this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

That’s a classic Alford loss right there.

it’s not in the first round of the tournament though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Trae Young is nuts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Great Autismo! posted:

boy oh boy do Iowa fans miss the Steve Alford days, got me all like "looooooooooool"

Lol not even a little. This year is bad but the program is going in the right direction generally and he has already done more than Alford did outside of the dumb conference tournament. Tom Davis had down years too.

Also he has yet to bully any rape victims so that's a pretty big step up from Alford. I'd take lickliter back before i'd want that piece of human garbage to be associated with the school again

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 12, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In which we white knight for someone who advised a rape victim to pray the rape away rather than go to the police

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That's a thing Steve Alford literally did with the first victim of Pierre Pierce. Then he let Pierce back on the team, at which point Pierce almost immediately committed another sexual assault and went to prison. Really made everyone proud to be a Hawkeye. Even if he'd actually been a decent coach he would have deserved to be fired and it's shameful the school let him keep his job as long as he did.

Also just in basketball terms Alford, who inherited a program that made the NCAA tournament about 3 out of every four years and had just gone to the sweet 16 had:

3 NCAA tournament appearances in 8 seasons
1 NCAA Tournament win
3 20 win seasons
3 seasons in the top half of the conference

Fran, who inherited one of the worst teams in the country has, in the same amount of time:

The same number of NCAA Appearances
2 NCAA Tournament wins
4 20 win seasons
5 finishes in the top half of the conference

Really struggling to see why I'd miss Alford at all here. He made the program significantly worse than it was when he got here. Unless you think Iowa is gonna be like this every year from now on (seems pretty unlikely given that they're super young and have top 30-40 recruits in both of the next two classes) Fran has made it substantially better

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 12, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Thankfully they both sucked

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It owns that they hired Bo Ryan, But Bad At Coaching

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Defense is for fuckin chumps imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

man did northwestern go down the shitter, time to fire collins, bring back carmody, and find the least gainly eastern euopeans to stumble around

remember when they fired carmody and then he made the tournament before northwestern did

(with a below .500 pat league team lol)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

What did Ohio State do to become good? I remember in the preseason talk they were supposed to be near the bottom of the conference and they didn't really do much inspiring early on either. Is it pretty much 'beat who they were expected to then shocked Michigan State' while other Big 10 teams have gotten hurt/underperformed?

The conference being butt helps but they hired a good coach and were more talented than they'd showed the last few years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

K State will apparently be wearing these against TCU:

...ok then. That is...different.

Those are rad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

TCU is actually kinda good to really good? It's hard for me to believe too.

Pitt was generous enough to gift wrap them a really good coach for no particular reason.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dang Wisconsin sucks SO bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Big Ten being butt is gonna save Tim Miles' job

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

If the world was just, Duke would be the first 1 to lost to a 16. Unfortunately, we're in the Darkest Timeline, so it won't happen.

I hate Duke too but losing to a 16 seed is the culmination of everything the Bill Self era of Kansas basketball has been building to and I won't let it be taken from them

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sad Drake is not still inexplicably leading the corpse of the MVC

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/964274750439731200

1) players getting paid is indisputably good, cool, and just

2) it'll still be super funny if coach k is implicated

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Like Coach K would ever pay his players.

we'll know for sure if his back starts acting up in the next few weeks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
we should probs stop buying into the ncaas dumb amateurism fraud and referring to the act of giving players money that by all rights they earned as "dirty" imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They should refuse to acknowledge it and leave the banner up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
like what could the NCAA even do if they just left it up and said they were still the champs? They aren't the cops they can't come take your banner. Just leave it and let the record book say whatever it is going to say

• Locked thread