Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan beat UCLA despite being like 4 for 32 or something from the free throw line and about 1 for 80 from three lol

actually 8-22 and 10-29 but wow I would not have marked that as anything other than a ucla blowout win with those numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I have a hard time believing Michigan will beat Purdue with Wagner at less than 100%, if they can't drag the two giant guys out of the post it's going to be a long night.

However, anyone who isn't hyped to see HAAS VS TESKE 1 V 1 as a Godzilla style battle can get out

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan played by far their shittiest half of the season (yeah even shittier than blowing that lead to OSU, as OSU is at least a good team) and still won

If lucking your way into garbage wins against inferior teams isn't the hallmark of a good ncaa basketball team, I've been misled a lot the past 20 or so years

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Thad Matta checked out like 2 years ago. Having an actual coach makes a big difference

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Knives Amilli posted:

The worst poo poo of all is, IMO we didnt benefit from either scandal. Russ, Peyton, Luke, Gorgui, Wayne and crew win that 2013 title irregardless of who they were sleeping with.

Yeah, except they were probably getting strippers out to the refs too

#theblockwasclean

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Would be a lot easier if they just paid the players like the employees they are. It's like I don't even think players and their families getting under the table or agent money makes me mad under any circumstances.

It doesn't make me mad at the players. But the giant universities opposing paying players in a legit fashion while doing it under the table to gain an advantage over the schools that aren't in bed with people like these can gently caress off

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I agree, but the Yahoo article seems to be trying to act like the players are somehow corrupt actors.

Well yeah, Yahoo are assholes. I'm not going to pretend this is all super cool though. Let's say the NCAA decides to pay players, this stuff will still be going on, just to bribe people with higher amounts.

If you want to just open up the NCAA to the wild wild west, then get rid of the rules. I'm a Michigan fan. We're rich as gently caress. This would benefit the school I like to an endless degree. But if they're going to have rules, the schools should follow them. And if they have any honest concern for the players, they'd be fighting to pay them within the rules, not doing this.

I mean, none of that changes that Yahoo are assholes and the players themselves didn't do anything wrong. But any schools that are actually involved did, and the agents sure as hell weren't trying to "pay them a living wage", they were trying to buy them so they could make money off them in the future.

Everyone but the players in this story is gross as hell.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: I have to believe that when he says "Good luck affording $22,000 per player", he actually means "good luck to each player in making up the $22,000 of scholarships I've rescinded", based on where he is in his half-baked argument. Because if he literally means "good luck in being able to afford a $22,000 player on a team that will bring in millions", then I have no words.

Yeah this is the dumbest part. People have no concept for the money involved in college sports.

If you pay the players minimum wage (I would say they should get more than that but whatever) based on 40 hrs/52 weeks of the year (I'm sure some weeks they work way more, and obviously there are parts of the year where they aren't allowed to officially do anything, but just for simplicity) it's like $20k/year

Even in football with 85 scholarships, that's only $1.7 million/year, there are assistant coaches making nearly that much now. In basketball it's obviously way less.

The NCAA has like 1 billion in revenue a year on its own, without even taking into account the money coming in to the schools themselves.

Now it's true, a lot of athletic departments run in the red, and the NCAA has huge expenses as well. But, so? Every business has to choose how to spend their money, I think I'd be willing to have coaches paid less, maybe a few less graphics on TV, the stadium beer costs $83 dollars instead of $81, and in exchange players get some money.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

an adult beverage posted:

also lol at that sports agency keeping detailed ledgers of their criminal conspiracy.

That rules. Accounting is important, even if what you're doing is completely illegal. I'm very proud of them.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Rick posted:

So this is weird. This wiretap would have taken place after Ayton was already signed.

"Ok, Ayton signed, we'll get you the $100k"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm excited to see all of 2,000 people crowding MSG for that big Iowa/Michigan showdown at 2:30 on Thursday

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

This is giving Iowa a lot of undeserved credit

Any team that can blow out the Northwestern Wildcat is legit

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Not that I think his mom getting $400 should be a violation, but it's kind of funny that the MSU investigation mysteriously found out that a dinner, which might have witnesses and evidence, happened, but the other thing reported in the same spreadsheet that wouldn't have witnesses or evidence totally didn't.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
MSU fans notably chanting 'Hitler' while a German player shoots free throws today lol

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

elentar posted:

do i have some good news for you

https://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/972638957602263041

seriously though never understood why they hired Fox in the first place—he wasn't that great at Nevada—or kept him around so long for so little return.

This would be great, might as well let the basketball program match the football program in both potential success and violations

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Henchman of Santa posted:

Izzo has beaten Duke like one time ever.

Michigan fans have to like the seeding but not the location.

Edit: 1-11

I was going to be mad that MSU got the better seed, but it gave Michigan a much easier bracket so I can't complain lol

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Forever owns for that time some reporter asked him about why he doesn't call more post ups and he spent like 20 minutes yelling at him about how inefficient posting up is.

this is loving fantastic

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
https://twitter.com/JayDSarkar/status/975235125532295168

what a time to be alive

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

kiimo posted:

Clemson's "big" is 6'9 230.

Udoka is going to eat him on live television.

Just wait until Mark Donnal checks in off the bench and goes ham

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

kiimo posted:

He's gonna be ham.

I don't think people realize Udoka is an agile 7 foot 280 pound dude.

Maybe you don't understand that Mark Donnal has the strength of ten men and the desire to fight for a rebound of .25 or so

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I don't think anyone left can beat Duke but I hate Duke so I'm going to pretend Syracuse is taking them out tonight

edit; I mean anyone on the Michigan side of the bracket, Villanova could definitely beat them, but also would then be unbeatable.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Let me explain how Michigan is actually the underdog against Loyola

Loyola has God on their side

This is a better argument than anything that could be made in favor of Kansas

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Tony Bennett Coach of the Year Except For That One Game Award

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
My hot take is that players commit to the coaching staff as much as the school quite often, and therefore not telling the player you were likely going somewhere else and want them to come with you would be less ethical than doing so

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I stole this from twitter, but John Beilein's response to starters playing poorly in a final 4 game was this

and these lineups turned a big deficit into a win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Good for him, going out a champion

• Locked thread