Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Khagan posted:

Will be better than last years if Porter doesn't stay an extra year.

He's been making noises about this but unless this hip thing is way worse than anyone's letting on and he ends up being out all year and needs to prove something by playing in college I just cannot imagine it happening.

I think Jeremiah Tilmon is going to be an absolute monster inside if he can figure out how to not foul everything in sight, which he quite possibly won't figure out any time soon. Jontay Porter was relatively quiet in 18 minutes (and he picked up 4 fouls in those 18 minutes), but he's not expected to be the world beater MPJ is yet.

It's nice starting off a season not being absolutely sure the worst is going to happen...still Jr's hip :ohdear:

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tilmon is probably Missouri's best player in theory with MPJ out I'd say.

I don't know what his total minutes played ended up as but tonight he picked up 4 fouls in about 3 minutes, then fouled out after maybe getting up to 10 if he was lucky? That's not a good combination.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Tilmon is probably Missouri's best player in theory with MPJ out I'd say.

I don't know what his total minutes played ended up as but tonight he picked up 4 fouls in about 3 minutes, then fouled out after maybe getting up to 10 if he was lucky? That's not a good combination.

It was 6 minutes for the record. From Bill C:

quote:

Even despite the impressive Iowa State performance, Tilmon is now committing 12.7 fouls per 40 minutes. He has committed 10 in a combined 16 minutes the last two games. That is downright awe-inspiring.

Freshman bigs are likely to foul, I get it. But Jesus.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I'm concerned about Mizzou making the NIT with the way they've played and with MPJ's injury. You've got a team full of bigs and all they do is rotate around the perimeter and chuck up threes at a 15% clip.

Tilmon and Jontay are obviously skilled is the good news, like you barely even notice Jontay getting 11 rebounds or whatever he did tonight.

I'd like to say the shooting will come back around (they were on fire the first two games), but I did watch the team way more often than was healthy for anyone last year too. As far as distributing I'd like to think Harris will eventually be good but he's not there yet. Apparently Geist who we all know sucks and Phillips are so bad at point that Cuonzo would rather play the spot up three grad transfer at point.

But none of this matters, you should just be able to out-athlete Emporia State and roll.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Yeah like Tommy John if that surgery also removed a piece of your elbow.

Well...Tommy John literally removes a part of your forearm or knee or foot/ankle (unless you're using a tendon from a cadaver).

I just feel bad for the guy. Whether or not he comes back (don't if you're going high) he was clearly looking forward to playing in college this year. He was actively out recruiting as much as Cuonzo was after he decided to go to Mizzou.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I know there are some new, highly ranked recruits, but this Mizzou season really throws into relief just how bad of a coach Kim Anderson is. Mizzou's returning players are moving the ball around and shooting so much better, it's insane.

Niggling Counterpoint: Cullen VanLeer

(why does he still play so much? We will never know)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This would be an absolutely maddening loss (and it still kinda is), but being in a position to blow a game against what should be a very good West Virginia team is kind of heartening.

Cuonzo just didn't trust Blake Harris at all I guess? I missed the first 8 minutes or so but I never even noticed him on the court until there were like 10 seconds left. I guess that would be understandable against WVU's press but...man Jordan Geist and Terrance Phillips were just self destructing for like 4 minutes straight there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

He had 3 turnovers in the first six minutes of the game.

Ah, that makes sense I missed that part of the game. Still man, Geist probably had 3 turnovers in 45 seconds at one point during that meltdown.

Still fairly happy with the showing, ideally the team grows up over the season and wouldn't lose a game like that later on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Democrazy posted:

Is Arkansas good?

I don't think they were predicted to be all that great (like middle of the SEC) but Arkansas plays a style where if they get you they can destroy you. I'd chalk that one up to a bad game.

You're on your own explaining Columbia.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Have we mentioned the Louisville is counter-suing Rick Pitino? Because Louisville is counter-suing Rick Pitino for potentially vacated tournament games and the money they'd apparently have to give back if that happens (I didn't know that was a thing).

quote:

Louisville would want Pitino to cover the money the university would lose from its appearances in the NCAA tournament from 2012-2015, WDRB’s Jason RIley reported after obtaining a copy of the lawsuit. The NCAA has ordered the university to return the money it received through conference revenue sharing, but the school is arguing that Pitino should cover it since he, “not the University, was the active wrongdoer.”

The university would also seek “any bonuses and other compensation wrongly paid” to Pitino for those tournament appearances, according to the WDRB report. Pitino reportedly earned a $425,000 bonus just in 2013 alone for winning the national championship.

:laugh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wofford had never beaten a ranked team before tonight? I know they've been in the tourney a few times.

Oh I just looked it up, I guess they've only been D1 since 1995, so that makes it more understandable. Although still a little bit of a surprise to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Braggin' Rights was more fun than it had any right to be. Missouri simply is not going to win this year shooting < 20% from three (which is a weird thing to say about such a tall team but that's what they do). Especially when you get 7 points combined from Tilmon and Jontay Porter. Tilmon was okish, he had all 7, but one of those guys has to be doing a lot of work inside if no one is going to hit threes.

But still, a relatively close loss in the end and one you can actually call an upset against a P5 team is improvement from the trash the last few years. Eventually that's going to stop making me happy, but I'll stay with it as long as I can.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Good news, the only decent PG the Tigers have is transferring for some reason.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/949304700268089345

Not sure why he played against South Carolina since I believe that means he's burned two semesters of eligibility now?

Huh, the decision to not give CJ Roberts some minutes and force him to redshirt which made him transfer looks pretty lovely now. I don't doubt he was worse than Harris, but he'll surely end up better than Geist or Phillips.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That dude wakes up on a slab every morning once lightning strikes some cunningly arranged apparatus next to it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
N: Mizzou gets a win over Kenpom #12 (no really, Tennessee was Kenpom #12?)

V: didn't hit a field goal for the last 6 minutes of the game and gave up a 10 point lead. This team unfortunately cannot actually be good with the total lack of anything resembling a point guard.

On the other hand they've left wins on the floor against Florida, WVU and...Arkansas somehow. I guess Arkansas isn't that impressive but it was such a horrible match up and they should have won that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
K State will apparently be wearing these against TCU:

...ok then. That is...different.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

This team is all over the loving place. I know the losses are all away, but they just barely lost to KU while getting crushed by TCU and Texas.

TCU is actually kinda good to really good? It's hard for me to believe too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Poque posted:

everybody had been talking about Kansas weaseling back to the top of the Big 12 but I didn't realize they were already up there, even after last night's loss.

Even when Kansas is "bad" like this year they're never actually bad and basically damned near never lose at home. And you typically get a couple of contenders for the league who beat each other up/drop games here and there. Kansas rumbles along being Kansas and it turns out in the end in the bad terrible year for Kansas they tie for the league title at worst.

e: Well 'bad' compared to the rest of the Big 12 in theory, I don't think anyone actually thinks Kansas is a bad team.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 25, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Honest to god headline:

"Police called on suspicious person offering ‘free-throw advice’ at KU men’s basketball dorm"

Apparently he left by the time the cops got there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

lmao Terrence Phillips now suspended indefinitely. Jordan Geist is now the only PG left on the active roster.

Haha, I just heard this.

Cullen Van Leer is going to have to take up ball handling duties if Geist or Robertson (who is already stupidly unsuited to be a PG) get in foul trouble :stonk: Or apparently (looks up the roster) Brett Rau, who's a walk on.

Between those two let's see what Rau can do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Looks like Terrence Phillips is a sex creep and is being investigated under Title IX abuses.

Yeah I saw this the other day and it made me sad. I mean Phillips appeared to be a pretty good guy, his non-profit was a cool thing and he had to jump through NCAA hoops to make it happen. He happens to be very bad at basketball but did always appear to be trying and didn't complain about (validly) losing what a lot of people thought would be his job this year.

I liked the guy if not the player from what I knew about him, shame he's apparently a creep.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

In a top 25 matchup, higher ranked #15 Tennessee will take on #24 Kentucky tonight at 6pm CST

I never thought I'd be able to say that :v:

Did this never happen in the Bruce Pearl years, maybe one of the years UK was down?

Also watch out, they'll be angry after losing to Missouri :v:

e: Huh it apparently never did happen after looking. Kentucky was bad during the early Pearl years and the only week they were ranked was a week where UT wasn't. Then they were both good in Pearl's second to last year, but Kentucky was better, and in the last year by the time they met Pearl's team had kind of tanked.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 6, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pubic works project posted:

I thought the Pearl years were before Calipari came to UK and so they sucked then?

Yeah Cal got there two years before Pearl got ousted, then Cal immediately turned things around. I'd forgotten how not good they were for a while there pre-Calipari.

Like I knew they weren't as good as Kentucky fans would demand, but I'd forgotten they were unranked not good if that makes sense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
His first Tech in that game was for blocking a shot and being too athletic. He didn't even begin to point at anyone or yell or anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

2) Virginia is not a team that gets ranked #1. You know how around December 1st, Auburn fans start complaining that they should be in the Sugar Bowl and not the Citrus Bowl? Virginia fans are going "oh cool we made a bowl game".

To be fair Auburn has a reason to care about bowl games and Virginia often doesn't. Auburn is having their best year in basketball in at least 15 years and probably since Y2K.

I don't really take issue with your actual point, just Auburn is a weird and timely comparison in the opposite direction you're aiming for. Oh man after looking them up Auburn basketball is like 10 times worse than Virginia football somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

What happened to the A&M guards that got dismissed from the team?

Only one was dismissed, but he's a point guard. I'm sure he's learned his lesson now, let's sign him.

As far as I know they got busted for pot, one got suspended and the other was suspended earlier this year and I guess they decided he was too much of a headache.

e: if you're wondering about tomorrow's game it will make approximately zero difference one way or the other, the suspended dude played about 10 minutes a game and the guy who got cut barely played at all.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 13, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Well, uh

conference championship streak's dead.

I hate you a whole lot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

I hate Big XII refs and Kansas definitely gets a lot of home cooking calls but I still think it is hilarious that Huggins is being a crybaby about his team actually getting called for fouling the poo poo out of every team they play for once.

If the free throw edge is 35-2 maybe try not fouling and that could probably help.

I suspect Huggins was more worried about the 2 than the 35.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In lighter lawsuit news that involves neither the NCAA nor Shaun King, South Carolina's women's basketball coach is suing Missouri's AD for defamation.

Missouri's AD back when the game was played (about a month ago)

Jim Sterk posted:

“Yeah it wasn’t a great atmosphere. It was really kind of unhealthy, if you will. We had, you know, players spit on, and called the “n-word,” and things like that. I mean it was not a good environment, and unfortunately I think, you know, Coach Staley promoted that kind of atmosphere, and it’s unfortunate she felt she had to do that,” Sterk said via the radio show.

The lawsuit:

Dawn Staley's lawyers posted:

The Defendant defamed Coach Staley by orally publishing to third parties that Coach Staley willfully and intentionally created an atmosphere at a college basketball game designed to incite riotous conduct and behavior by players and fans alike, which is false. More specifically, the Defendant falsely accused Coach Staley of promoting an atmosphere of racism and physical assaults against the Missouri fan base. Despite being given multiple opportunities to publicly retract those allegations, the Defendant has refused to do so, only further promoting and suggesting veracity in his patently false allegations.

The SEC initially was fine with a South Carolina internal investigation that said they couldn't find evidence of the spitting or N-Bombing, but with the suit being filed now they've fined Sterk 25k and are ordering an SEC-led review of Carolina's gameday management and security for visiting teams.

Staley is suing for 75k. I'd imagine it gets settled fairly quickly.

I don't know how long it takes to create a rivalry but this is some top notch rivalry stuff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh and in actual news that people might care about it's being reported that Michael Porter Jr has been cleared for all basketball activities.

(he should absolutely not come back just in case, but I'm not going to stop him)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Him and Pearl have by far done the best jobs in the conference this year. Job well done for both of them.

Considering what Missouri had, what Missouri recruited and what Missouri ended up not having I think Cuonzo did pretty well too.

Not well enough to actually win or anything, but maybe enough to make the by far conversation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

xbilkis posted:

MPJ is playing in the SEC tourney :yeah:

Man I hope he's awesome but more than that I hope he doesn't hurt himself.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

For cause too.

This FBI thing is going to end up just being a way for schools who want to fire their coach for cause to get an easy out.

Mike_V posted:

Jordan Barnett arrested for a DUI. I guess we know where he was on Thursday

Well poo poo. loving idiot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

I do not want Tom Crean at Georgia. Fire him into the loving sun instead. I’d take Pitino or Tubby on pre retirement party any day.

Man I don't think you want Tubby these days, I don't know exactly what's going on at Memphis but it doesn't seem good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Potential WVU/Marshall matchup is amusing only because of how much it would annoy Andichu.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Go Gales.

e: Gaels apparently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Does Florida State still have a ton of size? That vs Mizzou could be fun since both teams would be really big.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Notre Dame was the first team out. Huh.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Roasted Donut posted:

Charles Barkley making GBS threads all over this selection committee moron ftw

To be fair it isn't like Charles actually knows a damned thing about any teams that aren't Auburn.

Which just makes it more amazing that even he knows to poo poo on Oklahoma and they got in comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Charles and Kenny filling out a bracket is one way to make a show last 2 hours.

• Locked thread