Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I liked what I saw from the Gophers last night. I look forward to them using their non-conference schedule to gradually build up my confidence in them before crushing my hopes and dreams in spectacular Minnesota fashion by the middle of the conference schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyus Jones is also very cool and good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still can’t tell if Pitino was just having his guys go easy and let it get too close or he just did not know how to coach against three players.

He mentioned in a post game interview that he had no idea what to tell them to do lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Crazy Ted posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how something like this would happen.

sounds like the Gophers were taking a lot of bad shots, they literally didn't know how to run an offense against three and kept taking mid-range twos

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ungratek posted:

ACC/Big 10 challenge was better when it took place over 2 days. gently caress this 4 day garbage

I was just looking up how the games have gone and :lol: the Virginia/Wisconsin game (and also the Big 10 only winning one game so far)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is incredible

quote:

Out of 125 FBS schools required to report financial data to the U.S. Department of Education, Louisville is the only one that derives more than half of its men's sports revenue from basketball, says Jonathan Jensen, a sports marketing professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Much of that revenue comes from a $238 million taxpayer-funded arena, the KFC Yum Center, which opened downtown in 2010 and has become a heavy burden on taxpayers. The lease was negotiated by Jurich and the arena authority. Under the terms, taxpayer contributions make up 75 percent of the arena's operating income while Louisville gets to keep most of the revenue -- an arrangement that "blew our mind," says state auditor Mike Harmon, whose office examined the arena's finances. "It was like, 'This is ridiculous.' It's like co-signing the loan for a friend's home and then having to pay three-fourths of the mortgage."

Denis Frankenberger, a local businessman who has dissected the lease in minute detail, calls it "the biggest taxpayer scandal in the history of Louisville."

In the arena's first year, men's basketball revenue jumped 58 percent, from $25.9 million to $40.9 million, a trend that continued as the program became the richest in the country. Under the lease, Louisville keeps 88 percent of premium seat licensing, 97 percent of suite sales, all program revenue and half of concessions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kim Jong Il posted:

Unfortunately that quoted section is incorrect. The U.S. Department of Education data is notorious for being inaccurate because it doesn't break out subsidies for revenue. It's an accurate reflection of how dollars are spend, but is completely useless for the revenue equation. They don't care about that, the only purpose of the tool is to for Title IX compliance, and I hate it when journalists that instead of subpoenaing the NCAA revenue and expense reports that each program is required to file. Those actually give an accurate breakdown of the subsidy.

USA Today notably does this every year, although I don't think the post each specific program's report. Definitely individual newspapers often do this for their local teams.

I was mainly referring to the bits about the arena, or are those also inaccurate?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-minnesotas-reggie-lynch-found-responsible-in-sexual-misconduct-incident/

quote:

Minnesota center Reggie Lynch is facing a ban from campus until at least 2020 after an investigation conducted by the school found him responsible in a sexual misconduct incident, according to the Star Tribune.

The paper reported that Minnesota's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) office began investigating Lynch last fall after a woman filed a complaint saying he assaulted her in his dorm room in April 2016. His suspension will begin Tuesday unless he appeals, according to the Star Tribune. Lynch can request a hearing with the Student Sexual Misconduct Subcommittee and remain on campus, if he wants. But, even then, it's doubtful he would continue to play for the Golden Gophers under these circumstances considering this has gone public and is at least the second time Lynch has been accused of sexual misconduct.

Lynch is averaging 10.1 points and 8.0 rebounds. The 6-10 forward is the reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. He finished with 11 points and 12 rebounds in Wednesday's 77-67 win over Illinois.

V: my school sucks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In case anyone thought Reggie Lynch would play again someone else came forward today so now that's three alleged sexual assaults on him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

After whipping Minnesota today, Purdue is up to #2 on Kenpom. They’re not gonna lose many in this year’s Big Ten.

who was it that said Purdue was going to lose to this corpse of a team? Because :lol:

we're not even going to make the NIT

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FartingBedpost posted:

80% of my family are Purdue people, and Purdue fans just have this near constant doom meter around them.

It's usually pretty accurate, but it tends to go haywire when there's a Purdue game in the Barn.

If the Gophers were at even like 75% I could understand it, but I think every good player on this team is either injured or suspended at this point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Maryland is decent, and Penn State is gonna steal a win from one of those top four teams. I'd put each of those above Indiana.

Penn State lost at home to Minnesota tho

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Wasn't Minnesota like top 20 at the start of the season?

I may be and probably am completely mis-remembering this.

EDIT: Just checked myself and they were... glad I'm not going insane.

As blackmongoose implied, that is not the team that Penn State lost to last weekend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

How much does something like that even cost?

A small geolocation filter for 2-3 hours is roughly $15

source: I process payments for poo poo like that constantly for our marketing department at the U of MN

e: I looked one up, on Saturday we have a filter that activates when in the student union from 11am-2pm, cost was $13.38

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Vols up to 15 in the newest poll. :hellyeah:

As someone who doesn't watch much college basketball outside march these two posts back to back confused the hell out of me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a press conference going on by Reggie Lynch right now and the tl;dr is that he's denying all allegations but doesn't feel the appeals process will be fair to him so he's forgoing it, meaning that he's now expelled from the University of Minnesota.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Because status as an employee for purposes of the FLSA depends on the totality of circumstances rather than on any technical label, courts must examine the economic reality of the working relatinship to decide whether Congress intended the FLSA to apply to that particular relationship"

I didn't see this quote anywhere in the article, where was it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Are... are you guys serious?

Well if he had put it in the article it wouldn't have helped the racial narrative would it? Search for...

What the NCAA did in response to the lawsuit is as vile as anything going on in sports right now.

Which links to the NCAA's motion to dismiss filing, which contains the actual information.

You asked if anyone read past the headline. I read the entire article. I didn't realize that reading past the headline meant I had to go to google and find more articles.

I especially don't feel the need to google for something that exonerates the company that makes billions off of exploiting teenagers/young adults.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EDIT: I did not read 33 pages of actual lawsuit.

(nor do I feel the need to, please refer to the second half of my previous post, replacing "google" with the relevant action)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wasn't really saying that towards you, just admitting that I hadn't read everything linked into the article.

And I still dont get it... sounds like the court ruled because of reasons and the reasons were because the court says so.

I was using your quote to respond to fruit stripe, sorry. I agree with you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kiimo posted:

Saying that is the easy part. Explaining how is exceedingly difficult.

Let them make money from their own ventures.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Marquis de Pyro posted:

That rules. Accounting is important, even if what you're doing is completely illegal. I'm very proud of them.

:yeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kiimo posted:

Pitino in Vegas what could go wrong

I mean...Richard Pitino might be available after next year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why is the final four and championship not on CBS anymore?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's dumb, now I have to think of a reason to not have family that doesn't have cable over because I don't care enough to want to watch :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

vikingstrike posted:

How is this year's draft class supposed to be? If it's weak, he might be trying to get out before a better cohort next year.

I've been hearing on the radio recently that's it's pretty deep

• Locked thread