Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:

Part 1. I can take whatever pill I want.

Part 2. Chefort, wait for your turn..

Part 3. It has a different taste.

Part 4. Hey you psycho shrimpo you...

Part 5. Hi, guys, gal's, hetero's...

Part 6. Suddenly I'm getting very tired.

Part 7. It's only money.

Part 8. Pity my rear end

Part 9. I love to make baloons.

Part 10. He might have already been death.

P.S.: Cleaning, Plunger, Carpet, Traps, Patience, Party.

orenronen posted:

Oh, an LP for this game. I have some insight about the developer that I don't think is readily available anywhere on the English web.

Makh-shevet ("מחשבת") was indeed an Israeli computing company in the '80s and '90s, and despite the comment at the very beginning of the LP they had the pixelated man logo from the very beginning, long before Lucasarts did. They were founded in a Kibbutz and focused on publishing programming tutorial books for kids. They had BASIC programming books earlier personal computers like the Commodore 64 before hitting it big with books aimed at the version of BASIC shipping with DOS-based PCs, which became very popular in the mid '80s (that was my own first computer and I had the Makh-shevet BASIC books with it -- I probably wouldn't have a career as a programmer if it wasn't for them, in fact). They branched out into more programming stuff, going as far as completely translating the Logo programming language into Hebrew, and also developed a couple of productivity applications for DOS in the late '80s.

At that point Israel was a country where game piracy was the norm. There was literally no legitimate market -- we had quite a few computer stores at that point, but they only stocked a minuscule number of imported games, often locked behind the counter, for very high prices for the very few people who were crazy and rich enough to buy them. In the late '80s and early '90s Makh-shevet, along with one or two other publishers, began to change that. They translated manuals and boxes for a wide variety of American and British games and published them for much cheaper than they used to be. In about a year or two they transformed the market - it's not that piracy was suddenly gone (it was very much still rampant), but it was much more acceptable to actually buy game software and computer stores had shelves of them. Makh-shevet was the only company who tried to go even farther and actually localize the games themselves. They did it for a few adventure games in the '90s, and they were actually not bad at it. They published translated Hebrew versions of Loom, Simon the Sorcerer and Dark Seed, among others.

In the mid '90s they tried game development, and that's where this game is coming from. They have a number of releases that never left Israel (some edutainment software and some actual games), and two that did - Master of Dimensions, their first serious adventure game, and Dementia, their second and last. The game actually have a third name - it's original one: It's called GrannyX in Israel.

Their game business obviously didn't go well - they merged with another company at the end of the '90s and soon after the brand disbanded.

I actually visited their offices back in the '90s. They published Day of the Tentacle for Lucasarts, and offered to upgrade floppy versions to CD ones. It was easier to go there rather than to mail my copy in, so I did and ended up with the special pyramid box for my troubles. Fitting for an office inside a Kibbutz, it was more of a large cluttered house that served as both a warehouse for their publishing operations and a development center.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

None but you have the mental fortitude to tackle Armed and Delirious. Godspeed!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh my god, yes. Ever since that episode of Ross's Game Dungeon about this game, I've been quite curious to see this game in all of its glory.

Granny is such an amazing protagonist.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Ah the 90s.

Even the intro trailers would horrify every game marketing department today.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This looks like an absolute trip.

Middle names so far: Cleaning, Plunger, Carpet, Traps.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i think i have never actually thought the words "what the gently caress did i just watch" before now

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Truly, you are a hero, SelenicMartian.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
"Guys, can we maybe get the graphics department to remove the carpet from the background when the main character drags it over the hole?"

"Naaaah, that's way too hard, just add a note in the script that it's a cloning carpet or something."

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I can't believe they actually named them the "Wacky" family.

And why does half the audio only use the left channel?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i didn't follow...like any of that

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Things are HAPPENING here but I'm not sure what they are

Granny's family she loves but also hates were kidnapped by alien space rabbits that the dad of the family was communicating with in secret and now the rabbits want to capture granny?

It seems like the game has been translated into English from some incredibly distant language with totally different rules but they translated it really literally so now it's just nonsense.

I felt like it was going to turn out Granny was just tripping out; I thought "get high" had become the primary objective when she was talking about looking for her pills, and how she could take any one she wanted if she wanted to go on a trip...

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
I was confident at first that this was one of those instances like Limbo of the Lost, where outsider art somehow manages to get published as a game, but this game is by the same developers as the fairly well-respected Wizardry series, so now I just don't know what to think.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Whybird posted:

I was confident at first that this was one of those instances like Limbo of the Lost, where outsider art somehow manages to get published as a game, but this game is by the same developers as the fairly well-respected Wizardry series, so now I just don't know what to think.
Actually, it's by an Israeli company.

http://www.mobygames.com/company/makh-shevet

quote:

Makh-Shevet Ltd. was an Israeli PC games developer, publisher, localizer and distributor during the 90s.

The company filed for bankruptcy in 1997.

Gee, I wonder why.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
You're right, I was looking at the publishers rather than the developers. Okay, that makes a bit more sense then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That sure was a stream of consciousness.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

What did I just watch?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't believe they actually named them the "Wacky" family.

They're the Crotony family. Or croutony. Something like that.
The narrator is just really bad at sentence intonation.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Someone please explain wtf I just watched and why I want to see more of it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel like I should be on drugs to watch this game.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh gods the nineties...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Armed & Delirious!
You always dig up the best trash.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
For anyone watching, keep in mind that this is the mid-90's equivalent of a major big-budget release. All the FMVs, full voice acting and 5 CDs.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Triple A posted:

For anyone watching, keep in mind that this is the mid-90's equivalent of a major big-budget release. All the FMVs, full voice acting and 5 CDs.

I hope they didn't pay alot for that awful imitation Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong song they played in Granny's hallway because they got ripped off.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

busysignal posted:

I hope they didn't pay alot for that awful imitation Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong song they played in Granny's hallway because they got ripped off.

Keep in mind that back in 1997 you didn't see a lot of companies spend hollywood levels of money on their games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The game is starting to get a little crazy.

Part 2. Chefort, wait for your turn..

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

"Dementia" doesn't describe this game well. It's just full blown insanity.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Oh, an LP for this game. I have some insight about the developer that I don't think is readily available anywhere on the English web.

Makh-shevet ("מחשבת") was indeed an Israeli computing company in the '80s and '90s, and despite the comment at the very beginning of the LP they had the pixelated man logo from the very beginning, long before Lucasarts did. They were founded in a Kibbutz and focused on publishing programming tutorial books for kids. They had BASIC programming books earlier personal computers like the Commodore 64 before hitting it big with books aimed at the version of BASIC shipping with DOS-based PCs, which became very popular in the mid '80s (that was my own first computer and I had the Makh-shevet BASIC books with it -- I probably wouldn't have a career as a programmer if it wasn't for them, in fact). They branched out into more programming stuff, going as far as completely translating the Logo programming language into Hebrew, and also developed a couple of productivity applications for DOS in the late '80s.

At that point Israel was a country where game piracy was the norm. There was literally no legitimate market -- we had quite a few computer stores at that point, but they only stocked a minuscule number of imported games, often locked behind the counter, for very high prices for the very few people who were crazy and rich enough to buy them. In the late '80s and early '90s Makh-shevet, along with one or two other publishers, began to change that. They translated manuals and boxes for a wide variety of American and British games and published them for much cheaper than they used to be. In about a year or two they transformed the market - it's not that piracy was suddenly gone (it was very much still rampant), but it was much more acceptable to actually buy game software and computer stores had shelves of them. Makh-shevet was the only company who tried to go even farther and actually localize the games themselves. They did it for a few adventure games in the '90s, and they were actually not bad at it. They published translated Hebrew versions of Loom, Simon the Sorcerer and Dark Seed, among others.

In the mid '90s they tried game development, and that's where this game is coming from. They have a number of releases that never left Israel (some edutainment software and some actual games), and two that did - Master of Dimensions, their first serious adventure game, and Dementia, their second and last. The game actually have a third name - it's original one: It's called GrannyX in Israel.

Their game business obviously didn't go well - they merged with another company at the end of the '90s and soon after the brand disbanded.

I actually visited their offices back in the '90s. They published Day of the Tentacle for Lucasarts, and offered to upgrade floppy versions to CD ones. It was easier to go there rather than to mail my copy in, so I did and ended up with the special pyramid box for my troubles. Fitting for an office inside a Kibbutz, it was more of a large cluttered house that served as both a warehouse for their publishing operations and a development center.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is seeming less "Let's make something crazy!" and more "Let's make something out of these random sketches we have lying around."

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah I'm kind of getting a thousand monkeys vibe from this. I'm absolutely enthralled, though.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
After seeing Ross' game dungeon and how much trouble he had, I'm wondering how the hell you're playing this. Did you FIND an old windows 95 computer and a physical copy?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TCat posted:

After seeing Ross' game dungeon and how much trouble he had, I'm wondering how the hell you're playing this. Did you FIND an old windows 95 computer and a physical copy?

It probably runs perfectly fine in a Win95 VM.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A bit of NSFW audio, maybe?

Part 3. It has a different taste.

Yes, that's a Basic Instinct reference on the shot.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
How the gently caress did this game even get Teen from the ESRB?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Triple A posted:

By the sheer volume of audacity/insanity?? Maybe bugs, that hinder progress, too.

Makes me wonder how many ever completed the game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

OutofSight posted:

By the sheer volume of audacity/insanity?? Maybe bugs, that hinder progress, too.

Makes me wonder how many ever completed the game.

Reasonably certain no one finished this game, certainly not the ESRB.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think watching that puzzle in the bar drove me mad just watching.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

marshmallow creep posted:

I think watching the game drove me mad just watching.

FTFY

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It has a different taste

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Triple A posted:

Violence was probably taken a lot more seriously in 1997 than delirious depictions of sex. Looks like Teen can include that stuff anyways, just not much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I suppose, we're going to have a broken puzzle in every update

Part 4. Hey you psycho shrimpo you...

• Locked thread